collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127360 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6125 on: May 29, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »
Just heard the latest for summer workouts for my HS boys while they play basketball
5 in the gym at a time ok makes sense
bring your own ball makes sense as well
no sharing of the ball and each player will be on their own basket makes sense for now
Must wear a mask while working out Sorry but that makes no sense to me I will be waiting for the first lawsuit against a school district for a kids death due to breathing complications

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6126 on: May 29, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
Just heard the latest for summer workouts for my HS boys while they play basketball
5 in the gym at a time ok makes sense
bring your own ball makes sense as well
no sharing of the ball and each player will be on their own basket makes sense for now
Must wear a mask while working out Sorry but that makes no sense to me I will be waiting for the first lawsuit against a school district for a kids death due to breathing complications

While I agree the mask requirement is silly, no one is going to die from wearing one.  There is no real definition of what is and what is not a mask.  Seems to be anything that covers the face.  Even a single piece of cloth.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #6127 on: May 29, 2020, 01:29:51 PM »
I didn't get the sarcasm, obviously, and I didn't feel any need to look at your posting or membership history. So I also owe you an apology.

We obviously disagree politically, but I'm glad we agree that We Are Marquette!

💯 👍👍

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6128 on: May 29, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/health/cdc-director-coronavirus-early-spread-us-bn/index.html

I am sure there will be other sources to report on this, but this is the first summary for now. 

"We were never blind when it came to surveillance for coronavirus 19," Redfield said.
"The reality is the surveillance systems that CDC had developed over the years for respiratory viral diseases, particularly the influenza-like illness, really did give us eyes on this disease as it began to emerge," Redfield said. "Independent of testing, we had pretty good eyes on whether there was any new respiratory influenza-like illness occurring in our country."

This statement by Redfield really makes me angry, particularly in light of their action to stop the WA flu study from testing samples.  I won't even get into the who knew what, when can of worms this introduces for the broader govt. 

You just can't have it both ways.  'sure we knew it was spreading' covers your procedural ass but makes the federal response/denials even more maddening.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6129 on: May 29, 2020, 02:40:21 PM »
While I agree the mask requirement is silly, no one is going to die from wearing one.  There is no real definition of what is and what is not a mask.  Seems to be anything that covers the face.  Even a single piece of cloth.
NFHS says all sports should wear a mask except cross country, swimming or those with extensive aerobic activity.  If i remember back from my HS days that would be all sports but maybe golf and bowling

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6130 on: May 29, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »
Trump announced today that the U.S. is ending its relationship with WHO. And he left without taking questions as well as not speaking about Minnesota.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6131 on: May 29, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/health/cdc-director-coronavirus-early-spread-us-bn/index.html

I am sure there will be other sources to report on this, but this is the first summary for now. 

"We were never blind when it came to surveillance for coronavirus 19," Redfield said.
"The reality is the surveillance systems that CDC had developed over the years for respiratory viral diseases, particularly the influenza-like illness, really did give us eyes on this disease as it began to emerge," Redfield said. "Independent of testing, we had pretty good eyes on whether there was any new respiratory influenza-like illness occurring in our country."

This statement by Redfield really makes me angry, particularly in light of their action to stop the WA flu study from testing samples.  I won't even get into the who knew what, when can of worms this introduces for the broader govt. 

You just can't have it both ways.  'sure we knew it was spreading' covers your procedural ass but makes the federal response/denials even more maddening.

Honestly, this reads to me as a deliberate attempt of the US government to hide the existence spread of the disease. They say they knew it was out there, from other tracking programs, and they also deliberately blocked a study that would have confirmed its presence.

That is definitely irksome.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6132 on: May 29, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »

Agreed...especially when they slip little pearls like “independent of testing” in there. Wtf good is it to be aware of an emerging pandemic if you have no plans or capabilities for testing?

Every time someone from the administration adds information to “clarify” something, they just make themselves look worse.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6133 on: May 29, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
Community spread was likely happening in the US in late January.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6922e1.htm?s_cid=mm6922e1_w

Anecdotally, 2 stories.  1) i was completely laid out for 2 days at the end of January.   Slept for almost 48 hours straight, only other symptom was the worst joint pain I've ever experienced. Wife frequently travels through Detroit, was in Westchester county, NY 2 weeks prior, and we were in Vegas 10 days earlier.   Im scheduled for an antibody screen in two weeks, will be fascinated to see what my results are.

2)  a family from the kids' school had a family member in from Seattle over Christmas and for a few weeks in January. He was sick the whole time he was in Madison.  Soon after, that family got sick, illness spread through the school, and at the same time, the youth hockey program.

Back to news:  Bloomberg had an article about superspreaders today, and how that can explain the spikes in South Korea amd other places.  Its an opinion piece written by a non-medical person, so take it FWIW.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-05-28/superspreader-events-might-actually-help-control-covid-19?__twitter_impression=true

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6134 on: May 29, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
Trump announced today that the U.S. is ending its relationship with WHO. And he left without taking questions as well as not speaking about Minnesota.

WHO is to blame, not me.

“I don’t take responsibility at all.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6135 on: May 29, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »

Anecdotally, 2 stories.  1) i was completely laid out for 2 days at the end of January.   Slept for almost 48 hours straight, only other symptom was the worst joint pain I've ever experienced. Wife frequently travels through Detroit, was in Westchester county, NY 2 weeks prior, and we were in Vegas 10 days earlier.   Im scheduled for an antibody screen in two weeks, will be fascinated to see what my results are.

2)  a family from the kids' school had a family member in from Seattle over Christmas and for a few weeks in January. He was sick the whole time he was in Madison.  Soon after, that family got sick, illness spread through the school, and at the same time, the youth hockey program.

Back to news:  Bloomberg had an article about superspreaders today, and how that can explain the spikes in South Korea amd other places.  Its an opinion piece written by a non-medical person, so take it FWIW.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-05-28/superspreader-events-might-actually-help-control-covid-19?__twitter_impression=true

A lady friend who does some travel had a four-day sickness unlike anything she said she ever experienced before at the beginning of February.  Severe joint pain, the dry cough and massive fatigue.  Didn’t feel right for another week or so
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6136 on: May 29, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Conversely, a co worker got his butt kicked by something the week before Valentine's day.   Terrible cold symptoms along with a fever.   As sick as he has been in years. Just tested negative for antibodies.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6137 on: May 29, 2020, 05:57:13 PM »

I would be interested in your antibody results.  I understand why the CDC is against the ‘immunity passport’ but their vocal negative press about antibody tests feels a lot like their initial mask resistance.   

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6138 on: May 29, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »

Anecdotally, the strain of flu this year was particularly rough.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6139 on: May 29, 2020, 06:04:54 PM »

By the way Scott Gottleib said in an interview you shouldn’t trust one test.  However two positives would be somewhat conclusive.  Conversely I guess a negative result is more accurate/trustworthy. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6140 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:47 PM »
By the way Scott Gottleib said in an interview you shouldn’t trust one test.  However two positives would be somewhat conclusive.  Conversely I guess a negative result is more accurate/trustworthy.

Honestly, it depends on what test you get. Originally I had often commented on some tests having up to 20% false positives. I've heard some are now even worse with false positive rates approaching 50%.

That means there is a roughly 1/4 chance you would test positive twice by the worst tests out there and still be negative.

I've said this a lot, but if you get these tests, try to find out what test you got. The test used in NY seems to be one of the more accurate ones.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6141 on: May 29, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »
Anecdotally, the strain of flu this year was particularly rough.

Had a flu shot, FWIW. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6142 on: May 29, 2020, 07:35:08 PM »
Honestly, it depends on what test you get. Originally I had often commented on some tests having up to 20% false positives. I've heard some are now even worse with false positive rates approaching 50%.

That means there is a roughly 1/4 chance you would test positive twice by the worst tests out there and still be negative.

I've said this a lot, but if you get these tests, try to find out what test you got. The test used in NY seems to be one of the more accurate ones.

Yep. Below is an article that describes a Mayo Clinic study which tested nineteen of the Antibody tests. Only the four that had received an Emergency Use Authorization from FDA got an A+ rating. Most were so-so, and a few failed. (I’m not sure what the standards were for a given grade.)

IMHO, the best strategy for now is to ask if you can get a test that has an EUA.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mayo-clinic-doctors-find-covid-19-antibody-tests/story?id=70803740

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6143 on: May 29, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »

Yep. Below is an article that describes a Mayo Clinic study which tested nineteen of the Antibody tests. Only the four that had received an Emergency Use Authorization from FDA got an A+ rating. Most were so-so, and a few failed. (I’m not sure what the standards were for a given grade.)

IMHO, the best strategy for now is to ask if you can get a test that has an EUA.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mayo-clinic-doctors-find-covid-19-antibody-tests/story?id=70803740

Why has the FDA approved so many sub par tests

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6144 on: May 29, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
Why has the FDA approved so many sub par tests

Most of the tests being used right now aren’t FDA approved. That should affect how they are marketed (something like “not for medical diagnosis”), but in these crazy times, it isn’t clear how that is being enforced. It’s also possible they are considered “lab developed tests,” which provides an FDA exception if the test is used solely within the lab that developed it.

4 of the 4 FDA-approved tests analyzed by Mayo were given an A+ rating, so the FDA approval process seems to be reasonably good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:35:03 PM by GooooMarquette »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6145 on: May 29, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
One of my project managers was bed ridden for 5 days in February, never calls in sick. Saves his vacation for youth hockey travels. Worst sickness he can remember, had a flu shot. He swore it was COVID19.

The results say....no COVID19 antibodies.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #6146 on: May 29, 2020, 09:07:39 PM »
https://www.france24.com/en/20200530-coronavirus-hopes-and-fears-centre-on-immunity

Some interesting theories being mulled over regarding T-cells.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6147 on: May 29, 2020, 09:31:59 PM »

I am glad you got through that OK. And, like others, I will be very interested in hearing about the antibody test.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6148 on: May 29, 2020, 10:28:56 PM »
https://www.france24.com/en/20200530-coronavirus-hopes-and-fears-centre-on-immunity

Some interesting theories being mulled over regarding T-cells.

It is not an impossibility, but if there was any cross-immunity it would likely only be for prior infections with 1 of the 4 human coronaviruses that are endemic. That would be NL63. NL63 also uses the ACE2 receptor for viral entry, so there is a remote possibility that there would be overlap in immune responses to NL63 and SARS-CoV2.

I'd feel a bit more confident if we knew if SARS provided any sort of protection, as the Spike protein of SARS is much more similar (still substantially different) to SARS-CoV2 than NL63 is.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American