collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127349 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3850 on: April 11, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »

How do people who aren't working and can't pay rent able to donate to a food bank

If they can't donate money, maybe they can donate time.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3851 on: April 11, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
I wasn't trying to jump on you.  I apologize if you felt like I was trying to, but it was intended as a general comment about how we don't have any of the testing that we were promised by our federal administration.

OK my bad then

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3852 on: April 11, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »
If all the billionaires in the US donated everything except for $1B each, we could stay in this quarantine for plenty long enough to wait for a cure/vaccine, with all bills being paid for the middle and lower classes. No one would have to risk their lives to go back to work, and no small businesses would have to go out of business.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3853 on: April 11, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
Just doing what you do. Pick the lowest hanging fruit and stick to it constantly.

Lmao.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3854 on: April 11, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »
If all the billionaires in the US donated everything except for $1B each, we could stay in this quarantine for plenty long enough to wait for a cure/vaccine, with all bills being paid for the middle and lower classes. No one would have to risk their lives to go back to work, and no small businesses would have to go out of business.

Lol

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3855 on: April 11, 2020, 06:41:07 PM »

Show you work (the math) on this, please.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3856 on: April 11, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »

2+2=5 Lenny.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3857 on: April 11, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »

Well, the excess (above $1B each) for the US billionaires is $2.6T. That is roughly 12% of the entire US GDP. It would amount to $8k for every single American.

Also, I didn't mean "literally long enough to wait out a vaccine/cure". But it could buy 3-4 months.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3858 on: April 11, 2020, 07:38:59 PM »
Well, the excess (above $1B each) for the US billionaires is $2.6T. That is roughly 12% of the entire US GDP. It would amount to $8k for every single American.

Also, I didn't mean "literally long enough to wait out a vaccine/cure". But it could buy 3-4 months.

$2K a month for many many people is a pay cut, not to mention businesses have plenty of other expenses other than payroll. What you’re proposing would do nothing to help businesses struggling other than give some employees a pay cut and make things even worse for them when they open back up after this magical 3-4 month hiatus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3859 on: April 11, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
NYT: “He Could Have Seen What Was Coming: Behind Trump’s Failure on the Virus

Pretty damning report on the administration repeatedly ignoring warnings:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-response.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Nothing surprising, but new details about who said what and when.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #3860 on: April 11, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »
Why is this thread listed under "child boards"? What that mean

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3861 on: April 11, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »
Milwaukee hospitals at critically low levels of personal protective equipment

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/milwaukee-hospitals-at-critically-low-levels-of-personal-protective-equipment

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3862 on: April 11, 2020, 08:10:40 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3863 on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:59 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-response.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Trump did not fail America. China failed America.

Or so I’m told.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3864 on: April 11, 2020, 08:47:36 PM »
Milwaukee hospitals at critically low levels of personal protective equipment

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/milwaukee-hospitals-at-critically-low-levels-of-personal-protective-equipment

So what confuses me is how they are at such low levels with only 950 COVID hospitalizations statewide. I’m not downplaying the seriousness of anything, but just how unprepared or improperly set up they were logistically for it. They aren’t at overrun or capacity levels (I saw estimates of 2500ish ICU beds in the state).  Happy to understand otherwise, but this seems like more of a process and prep issue than being overwhelmed by cases

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3865 on: April 11, 2020, 09:00:40 PM »

That is absolutely damning.

"Mr. Trump was walking up the steps of Air Force One to head home from India on Feb. 25 when Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, publicly issued the blunt warning they had all agreed was necessary.

But Dr. Messonnier had jumped the gun. They had not told the president yet, much less gotten his consent.

On the 18-hour plane ride home, Mr. Trump fumed as he watched the stock market crash after Dr. Messonnier’s comments. Furious, he called Mr. Azar when he landed at around 6 a.m. on Feb. 26, raging that Dr. Messonnier had scared people unnecessarily."

FEBRUARY 25!!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3866 on: April 11, 2020, 09:13:20 PM »
This thread started in late jan and has been ‘ahead’ of the public story.  With very little inside info other than business connections to China.   

Why this is surprising?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3867 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »

"Mr. Trump was walking up the steps of Air Force One to head home from India on Feb. 25 when Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, publicly issued the blunt warning they had all agreed was necessary.

But Dr. Messonnier had jumped the gun. They had not told the president yet, much less gotten his consent.

On the 18-hour plane ride home, Mr. Trump fumed as he watched the stock market crash after Dr. Messonnier’s comments. Furious, he called Mr. Azar when he landed at around 6 a.m. on Feb. 26, raging that Dr. Messonnier had scared people unnecessarily."

FEBRUARY 25!!!!

Yup. Puts his own self image ahead of the health of Americans all over the country.

That and this email:

“We are making every misstep leaders initially made in table-tops at the outset of pandemic planning in 2006. We had systematically addressed all of these and had a plan that would work - and has worked in Hong Kong/Singapore. We have thrown 15 years of institutional learning out the window and are making decisions based on intuition. Pilots can tell you what happens when a crew makes decisions based on intuition rather than what their instruments are telling them. And we continue to push the stick forward...”

But hey. China lied so the administration really couldn’t have done anything differently.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3868 on: April 11, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »

FEBRUARY 25!!!!

Not to toot my own horn, but I pointed  out that the CDC message had been notably "muted" in their Feb 28 transcript

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1214438#msg1214438

Feb 28:
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0228-COVID-19-update.html

And here's the Feb 25 transcript
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:00:40 PM by rocky_warrior »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3869 on: April 11, 2020, 09:56:58 PM »

So you said we could but you meant we couldn’t. Fair enough.

And if we took all of their money, we’d have another 621 billion to pass out. But even if every billionaire was broke (and everyone they employ was out of work) it still wouldn’t be enough.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:18:53 PM by Lennys Tap »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3870 on: April 11, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »

And if we took all of their money, we’d have another 621 billion to pass out. But even if every billionaire was broke (and everyone they employ was out of work) it still wouldn’t be enough.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3871 on: April 11, 2020, 10:44:54 PM »

I was just saying something off the cuff with some hyperbole as a counter to the ""we need to open the economy now" argument. The open the economy now will cost a lot of lives. The argument is that we have to do it, because our economy can't afford it.

The counter to this, is our economy cannot afford to have $3.2T in the hands of ~600 americans, while also designing a bailout that largely benefits those same 600 Americans. They aren't the ones making a sacrifice here. The middle and lower classes are. They will be the ones returning to work, getting sick, and possibly dying.

But if you want me to show you the math. $2.6T/128M households=$20312.5 per household. The average household income is $61,937. So $20,312.5/61937 = 0.33. Or 1/3rd of the year = 4 months. It is exactly enough money to pay the income for all households in the US for 4 months.

I'm not actually saying, to take the $2.6T from them (roughly $20k per American household=4 months of salary for the average US household). It is as absurd as saying we can risk the lives of many, for the economy.

I need to remember that the internet is the wrong place for nuanced symbolic statements. My apologies. 15 lashes for me. Return to our usually programming.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:55:27 PM by forgetful »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3873 on: April 11, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »

God bless maggie Thatcher, aina?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3874 on: April 11, 2020, 11:16:51 PM »
So what confuses me is how they are at such low levels with only 950 COVID hospitalizations statewide. I’m not downplaying the seriousness of anything, but just how unprepared or improperly set up they were logistically for it. They aren’t at overrun or capacity levels (I saw estimates of 2500ish ICU beds in the state).  Happy to understand otherwise, but this seems like more of a process and prep issue than being overwhelmed by cases

The problem is dealing with incoming patients. Because the disease can initially manifest in many ways, proper protocol would be to treat all remotely possible COVID patients as if they have the disease. That means you are going to go through absurd numbers of PPE. There is also a limit to how much you could stockpile.

In prior disasters (see H1N1) the emergency reserves came from the federal government. That didn't happen this round.

feedback