collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127347 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2725 on: March 29, 2020, 09:49:40 PM »
Umm well...that decision by Jerry Falwell Jr. to re-open Liberty University and have the kids on campus...well...uh...er...uh...it isn't going so swell.

Over a dozen kids already sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-liberty-university-falwell.html#click=https://t.co/sglQgqzqo8

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2726 on: March 29, 2020, 09:55:18 PM »
How anybody could ever ask for the leader of their country to handle this any differently is beyond me. Dumb libs.  ::)

“He effed up our response so badly that there’s really nothing left for him to do, so now the libs are just crying about what he says no matter what.”

I know I’m just glad April’s right around the corner. This thing is just going to disappear with that warmer weather, like a miracle.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2727 on: March 29, 2020, 09:59:39 PM »
How anybody could ever ask for the leader of their country to handle this any differently is beyond me. Dumb libs.  ::)

“He effed up our response so badly that there’s really nothing left for him to do, so now the libs are just crying about what he says no matter what.”

I know I’m just glad April’s right around the corner. This thing is just going to disappear with that warmer weather, like a miracle.

https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/1244420488711090184?s=19

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2728 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:58 PM »
I truthfully am too busy to spend time on here tonight, but sounds like everyone wishes he had a different style. Almost every criticism stems from his style, not the work being done. I will try and respond to the request of what I like about the job he is doing, but no time at the moment.

Then you might want to get back to us when you have more time to actually read and think about our comments, because they are about much more than just “style.“
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:14:29 PM by GooooMarquette »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2729 on: March 29, 2020, 10:09:23 PM »
Today’s numbers show some hope. Cases were less than yesterday and deaths were way down.
A blip or part of a trend? Hopefully we start to see a flattening.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2730 on: March 29, 2020, 10:09:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/1244420488711090184?s=19

Lol. That’s hilarious.

I “tuned in” to his briefing tonight because I was watching the Duke/Butler National Title game and it cut into it right at the ending. I then tried to switch over to the Falcons/Patriots game, but it was on there too, so then I tried to switch to 30 for 30 on ABC but it had cut into that too. So I watched the first couple minutes and then switched to reruns of Shark Tank.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2731 on: March 29, 2020, 10:28:30 PM »
Does anyone know where all the testing facilities in our neighborhood Walmart's, Walgreens, CVS, Target, and Rite-Aid's are?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #2732 on: March 29, 2020, 10:48:27 PM »
I have heard from several non political friends that they religiously watch our governor daily briefings but can’t stand to watch the president’s because they can’t rely on anything he says.

DJT got caught by surprise with this pandemic. Same would have happened to a Dem president. However those early reckless comments downplaying the severity of the threat cannot be walked back now without him admitting that they did not take this seriously enough to start. He’s incapable of that. If he wants to impress the country he’d do that. We’re a forgiving nation and I believe that would be a step toward rallying the country (along with stop the insults, step aside and let the experts dictate our response, etc.).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2734 on: March 29, 2020, 11:14:19 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2735 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:03 PM »
Excellent read, we’re a long ways from phase 2 being triggered.

Gottlieb also said he thinks that at the end of April some states will be able to start re-opening, meaning those states will hit their peak and start declining in two weeks.

Hoping that's accurate but mentally preparing otherwise.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2736 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »
https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

Great read.

Great find. I was especially struck by this observation:

Trigger to Move to Phase II. To guard against the risk that large outbreaks or epidemic spread could reignite once we lift our initial efforts to “slow the spread,” the trigger for a move to Phase II should be when a state reports a sustained reduction in cases for at least 14 days (i.e., one incubation period); and local hospitals are safely able to treat all patients requiring hospitalization without resorting to crisis standards of care; and the capacity exists in the state to test all people with COVID-19 symptoms, along with state capacity to conduct active monitoring of all confirmed cases and their contacts.

That’s pretty significant - for any single state to begin to reopen schools, businesses and the like, at a minimum it should have at least 2 weeks of sustained decreases in new cases AND it needs to have the capacity to test everyone with symptoms AND it needs to have the capacity to conduct active monitoring of all confirmed cases and their contacts AND local hospitals have to have the capacity to safely treat all cases.

By those measures, we might be months away from the first states beginning to reopen.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:21:47 PM by GooooMarquette »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2737 on: March 29, 2020, 11:25:49 PM »
Great find. I was especially struck by this observation:

Trigger to Move to Phase II. To guard against the risk that large outbreaks or epidemic spread could reignite once we lift our initial efforts to “slow the spread,” the trigger for a move to Phase II should be when a state reports a sustained reduction in cases for at least 14 days (i.e., one incubation period); and local hospitals are safely able to treat all patients requiring hospitalization without resorting to crisis standards of care; and the capacity exists in the state to test all people with COVID-19 symptoms, along with state capacity to conduct active monitoring of all confirmed cases and their contacts.

That’s pretty significant - for any single state to begin to reopen schools, businesses and the like, at a minimum it should have at least 2 weeks of sustained decreases in new cases AND it needs to have the capacity to test everyone with symptoms AND it needs to have the capacity to conduct active monitoring of all confirmed cases and their contacts AND local hospitals have to have the capacity to safely treat all cases.

By those measures, we might be months away from the first states beginning to reopen.

See Florida is smart, why shut down to jump through those hoops to open back up?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2738 on: March 29, 2020, 11:28:04 PM »
I'm not the least bit surprised you would use the NY Times as a source for anything.

I'm not the least bit surprised you would criticize something without reading it, would ignore that right-leaning media have said many of the same things, and would be upset that many folks prefer actual factual facts to alternative facts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2739 on: March 29, 2020, 11:53:10 PM »
This just in:

Trump is conceding that there could be more than 100,000 deaths in the USA -- and that if that's all there are it will have been a job well done.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/politics/trump-deaths-coronavirus/index.html

It was only a month ago that he was insisting that the number of US cases "within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero" because "everything is really under control."

Now maybe he's finally listening, finally acknowledging reality? Maybe even he gets sick of lying?

Or maybe, as guru surely must think, he's simply "accepting mediocrity."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2740 on: March 30, 2020, 12:23:41 AM »
Umm well...that decision by Jerry Falwell Jr. to re-open Liberty University and have the kids on campus...well...uh...er...uh...it isn't going so swell.

Over a dozen kids already sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-liberty-university-falwell.html#click=https://t.co/sglQgqzqo8
Absolute lunatic with blood on his hands

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2741 on: March 30, 2020, 12:52:57 AM »
Does anyone know where all the testing facilities in our neighborhood Walmart's, Walgreens, CVS, Target, and Rite-Aid's are?

You must not "want" to be tested.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2742 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:08 AM »
I truthfully am too busy to spend time on here tonight, but sounds like everyone wishes he had a different style. Almost every criticism stems from his style, not the work being done. I will try and respond to the request of what I like about the job he is doing, but no time at the moment.

Is there an alternate reality in which you reside?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2743 on: March 30, 2020, 01:33:03 AM »

In the span of a week, he’s said we are “at war,” open everything up by Easter because the cure can’t be worse than the disease, and today he suggests social distancing last until April 30.

I mean, don’t you see a problem here?

Yes. He should listen to experts. (No idea why you put that in quotes. Apparently you’re a medical professional who doesn’t believe in medical science. Which is weird.) And he should be a leader who puts aside the pettiness and leads.

You’re a “smart” guy sully, that also qualifies you as an “expert” get it? 

I don’t believe in medical science??  Who the *#*#@ are you to judge me on anything?  You know me but a very small microcosm of what appears here.  Some of my stuff more serious than others.  btw, Your dry psychological b.s doesn’t fly with most here. 

If you didn’t understand my post, you are either being purposefully ignorant or doing your usual troll in order to get into some kind of sophisticated argument.  My post was my post; nothing more, nothing less

don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2744 on: March 30, 2020, 05:41:37 AM »

LON

• All American
« Reply #2745 on: March 30, 2020, 06:02:01 AM »
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Where is our president?  Oh, he needs to get out of the way...he needs to listen to the “experts”, blah blah

There are many things he didn’t say that they say he did say.  He’s trying to be upbeat. Everyone needs to use a little critical thinking instead of laying on his every word. How many times do we need to hear, wash your hands, keep safe distances, stay at home if you can...?? 

The people here who do not like this admin, there is nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING he can say or do to change their minds about him.  So if you are in this category, get a squeeze ball, try yoga, meditate, and take care of yourselves cuz the president obviously is doing nothing more for you than p!ssing ya off anyway.

Don’t watch anymore news, ya know what to do-wash your hands, practice....when this all starts subsiding(hopefully soon) ya’ll will know.

There is video proof of him saying things that there is later video proof of him denying saying those things. Stop being dumb.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #2746 on: March 30, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
This is something that amazes me.  There is proof after proof of his lies.  Yet his supporters turn a blind eye to it.  He lies so much I don’t think he even remembers what he said.  This is a global crisis and the American people need leadership.   He claimed this was a hoax a month ago.  Last week he claimed Easter was the target date to reopen despite the experts all disagreeing.

As a health care worker who is a conservative, I am done.  Medical workers across the country have had inadequate PPE and tonight in his press conference he accused NYC health care workers of stealing masks.  Get us the damn PPE!  Stop worrying about governors not being appreciative enough.  We should have a coronavirus czar like we did with Ebola, but he cut funding thus eliminating that position
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:14:29 AM by Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist »
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2747 on: March 30, 2020, 07:28:29 AM »
You’re a “smart” guy sully, that also qualifies you as an “expert” get it? 

I don’t believe in medical science??  Who the *#*#@ are you to judge me on anything?  You know me but a very small microcosm of what appears here.  Some of my stuff more serious than others.  btw, Your dry psychological b.s doesn’t fly with most here. 

If you didn’t understand my post, you are either being purposefully ignorant or doing your usual troll in order to get into some kind of sophisticated argument.  My post was my post; nothing more, nothing less

Lol. The truth hurts huh?  Enough to actually cause you to use proper punctuation.

If you don’t want me to judge you, don’t say ignorant stuff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2748 on: March 30, 2020, 08:01:41 AM »
This just in:

Trump is conceding that there could be more than 100,000 deaths in the USA -- and that if that's all there are it will have been a job well done.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/politics/trump-deaths-coronavirus/index.html

It was only a month ago that he was insisting that the number of US cases "within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero" because "everything is really under control."

Now maybe he's finally listening, finally acknowledging reality? Maybe even he gets sick of lying?

Or maybe, as guru surely must think, he's simply "accepting mediocrity."

Nah, just some good ol' fashion

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2749 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

Great read.

Great read gives some hope with the planned/phased approach and answers my question as to how do we not just fall back to shut down once the curve is flattened