collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127347 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2275 on: March 24, 2020, 05:05:37 PM »
But see...this is where everyone's hatred for the current President shows. Why doesn't anyone talk about the fact that had China not hid this from the world(and destroyed records of it along the way as well as silenced doctors etc), that we would have been more prepared and executed better had we known about it sooner. That's just facts.

Everybody has talked about this. Quite a bit. Including in this thread.

In fact, I would guess the only reason you know about this is because it's been reported in the media  repeatedly.
Like these NY Times pieces:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/03/opinion/coronavirus-china-xi-jinping.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/world/asia/china-coronavirus-image.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/opinion/coronavirus-china-government.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/opinion/sunday/china-coronavirus.html

Or these in the Washington Post:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/opinion/sunday/china-coronavirus.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/10/wuhan-officials-tried-cover-up-covid-19-sent-it-careening-outward/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/18/chinas-coronavirus-propaganda-campaign-is-putting-lives-risk/

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2276 on: March 24, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »

Yep. Looking at the CT list, it seems as though everyone other than clowns and mimes are "essential." Makes it kind of a faux lockdown.

If this is what it takes to get rid of clowns, then burn this mfer down.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2277 on: March 24, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »

See no.  That's the exact wrong way to interpret this and leads me to believe you didn't read the article.

This report is from October.  Long before the current crisis.  And YES!!!  We were prepared!!!  But being prepared doesn't mean much if we don't execute well on that preparedness when the time comes.  And that's exactly what happened. 

Which is even more damning of the current administration considering that these people STILL were denying it was a problem as of about three weeks ago.  Even though we HAD a plan, and considered quite prepared, we F*CKED up the execution.

So no matter how many times you practice the onside kick, there's always a chance its gonna get screwed up when the time times.

In short....Donald Trump is the nation's Brian Bostick.

I don't think anyone commenting on this has really dug into what being prepared means. The report is crazy long, and the rankings aren't crystal clear to me. But the one thing that seems clear is that a lot of the measures considered in the index have nothing to do with response plans and more to do with the existing healthcare system, data collection and reporting capabilities, and even infrastructure. Planning is definitely included here, but it's not clear whether there was a detailed review of the quality of response plans or if this was more of a review to understand what scenarios had been thought through.

So using your analogy, the US was well-positioned for the onside kick because we had a practice facility to work on the kick, a camera to record and review the practice attempts, and we had discussed when an onside kick might be needed at some point in the future. Compared to other countries who don't even have a football or a tee, we were in great shape to execute well.

That's my takeaway after skimming through the first 50 or so pages out of 300+

Edit - I found what I was looking for. The review of a country's response is largely yes/no as to whether plans exist, if they've been updated, if they're publicly available, etc. While some of this might help address whether the plan is of a high quality, there doesn't seem to be a detailed review of the plan. The US having any plan at all seems to give us a good score here. The details are on p.100-102 of the paper.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:28:57 PM by skianth16 »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
But see...this is where everyone's hatred for the current President shows. Why doesn't anyone talk about the fact that had China not hid this from the world(and destroyed records of it along the way as well as silenced doctors etc), that we would have been more prepared and executed better had we known about it sooner. That's just facts.

I have my own theories on why China didn't alert the US to it sooner..but I will keep that to myself.

Serious question. Given how we performed with multiple weeks of advanced notice on what to expect, and what it was, how well do you think we'd have handled this if it came here first?

We are technically hiding the number of infected and those dying, due to a lack of testing. We hid the spread of it in the US initially, because of failures. Leaders were saying it was contained, and not spreading, that there was nothing to worry about, and that the flu is much worse.

It is easy to pile on China now, but as recent as late January, people in our nation were thanking/congratulating President Xi for his transparency and help in us stopping this thing.

Maybe China deliberately hid everything, maybe they had nefarious motives, or maybe they just weren't prepared, mishandled it, and this spread terribly as a result. Remember, the WHO was on the ground there, and providing the same info. But at the same time, most of the rest of the world was not prepared, mishandled it, and contributed to its terrible thread.

Let's get this fixed first, then go back and figure out as a world-wide community how we can avoid something like this happening again. And if people did have nefarious motives, the world-wide community should make sure that they are held responsible.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2279 on: March 24, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »

I have my own theories on why China didn't alert the US to it sooner..but I will keep that to myself.

Sooner?  Using only Wisconsin as a barometer, UW hospital in Madison had its first case of Coronavirus on February 5th.  Do the math on how long ago that was, and this is the response of the last Superpower in the world?

Eight weeks

And this is what we have?  You can blame China, and they should eat some of the blame, but come the eff on dude.  Our Federal government's response has been worse than awful.  Only two weeks ago did we decide we needed testing.  What?  So six weeks of lead time... what did we do with that time?  One week ago, we decided that ventilators were important.  So, despite all of the data, we just watched the tsunami rolling our way, and we did NOTHING.  We waited until there was a major outbreak before we realized that, oh hey maybe we should get some more ventilators manufactured.  What a total and utter failure of our government.

And then there are idiots who have the audacity to defend this?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: March 24, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »

See no.  That's the exact wrong way to interpret this and leads me to believe you didn't read the article.

This report is from October.  Long before the current crisis.  And YES!!!  We were prepared!!!  But being prepared doesn't mean much if we don't execute well on that preparedness when the time comes.  And that's exactly what happened. 

Which is even more damning of the current administration considering that these people STILL were denying it was a problem as of about three weeks ago.  Even though we HAD a plan, and considered quite prepared, we F*CKED up the execution.

So no matter how many times you practice the onside kick, there's always a chance its gonna get screwed up when the time times.

In short....Donald Trump is the nation's Brian Bostick.

Leans political, but love the Bostick reference.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2281 on: March 24, 2020, 05:29:18 PM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:40:00 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: March 24, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »
What a total and utter failure of our government.

And then there are idiots who have the audacity to defend this?

It sounds more and more like you have a vested interest in this being bad. Which explains a lot. And it's probably true of a lot of people here and around the country.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: March 24, 2020, 05:31:57 PM »

There are plenty of people criticizing China for hiding the extent of the virus, which they did throughout the early part of January.

Then, on January 11th they published the virus' genome with the WHO.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/chinese-researchers-reveal-draft-genome-virus-implicated-wuhan-pneumonia-outbreak

They then admitted person-to-person transmission on January 20th and shut down Wuhan on January 23rd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Hubei_lockdowns

During January and February, US Intelligence was briefing Trump that this was likely a pandemic
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/politics/us-intelligence-reports-trump-coronavirus/index.html

So, China was less than aboveboard, but at minimum Trump had from January 23rd to March 16th to "execute better" as you say.  What did he do?  He spent the time downplaying it, claiming it was a hoax, claiming it was contained, and congratulating himself on his response.
https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coronavirus-calendar/2645515793?fbclid=IwAR2V6v2eAlfhxi-xpLoPT7ClwYbzz7m62gD12Lp5LnZ6T4bb2EBqgnQ4vfE

So he had 7 weeks at minimum to execute.  He didn't.  But he has done an exceptional job, as usual, getting you to focus your blame elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:03:59 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2284 on: March 24, 2020, 05:34:12 PM »
It sounds more and more like you have a vested interest in this being bad. Which explains a lot. And it's probably true of a lot of people here and around the country.

Are you saying he wants thousands to die?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2285 on: March 24, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »

This borders on "people opposed to the war are anti-American" and "those who protest police brutality hate cops."
I feel safe saying nobody here wants this to be bad (well, worse ... it's already bad).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »

Even IF he does.. at least he wants it to be bad for the economy and not bad in thousands to millions of dead.

Too bad that doesn't apply to everyone

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Are you saying he wants thousands to die?

I'm saying he and others are overly focused on only discussing the most negative aspects of the current situation and the uglier potential future situations here. Any potentially reassuring data or study gets dismissed or ignored pretty quickly. Anything that builds the case for bigger numbers gets built up.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:04:58 PM by skianth16 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2288 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »
I'm saying he and others are overly focused on the most negative aspects of the current situation and the uglier potential future situations here. Any potentially reassuring data or study gets dismissed or ignored pretty quickly. Anything that builds the case for bigger numbers gets built up.

Are you saying that people focused on the absolute worst that could happen to the economy aren't also focused on the most negative aspects?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: March 24, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »
Are you saying that people focused on the absolute worst that could happen to the economy aren't also focused on the most negative aspects?

Sure. But I see a lot less of that. Could just be about where I'm looking I guess.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2290 on: March 24, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »

Oh please.  I've been the one beating the drum since January that this is going to be bad unless we do something.  I have very close friends that are doctors and nurses in Wisconsin and Illinois.  Our family business is operating at less than 10% capacity since last week.  My parents are on a god damned cruise ship just off of South America that is currently reporting 87 people with flu like symptoms.  There is a boat that should be meeting them in two days with supplies, and covid tests.  Both parents are over 70 and have underlying health conditions.

So understand me when I say, that I have absolutely EVERYTHING to lose, and I am DISGUSTED by our government's response.  I am just some yahoo from Wisconsin, and even I could see what was coming for over two months!

You, sir, can go straight to hell.  I'm sorry you can't math yourself out of this.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2291 on: March 24, 2020, 06:15:09 PM »
Oh please.  I've been the one beating the drum since January that this is going to be bad unless we do something.  I have very close friends that are doctors and nurses in Wisconsin and Illinois.  Our family business is operating at less than 10% capacity since last week.  My parents are on a god damned cruise ship just off of South America that is currently reporting 87 people with flu like symptoms.  There is a boat that should be meeting them in two days with supplies, and covid tests.  Both parents are over 70 and have underlying health conditions.

So understand me when I say, that I have absolutely EVERYTHING to lose, and I am DISGUSTED by our government's response.  I am just some yahoo from Wisconsin, and even I could see what was coming for over two months!

You, sir, can go straight to hell.  I'm sorry you can't math yourself out of this.

I overstepped, and I'm sorry for that. Understanding the situation you're in makes it clear why this is so important to you. What I interpreted as political bias was actually driven something else more meaningful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: March 24, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
I overstepped, and I'm sorry for that. Understanding the situation you're in makes it clear why this is so important to you. What I interpreted as political bias was actually driven something else more meaningful.

Also sorry, on edge, obviously.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: March 24, 2020, 06:20:55 PM »
IMO trump is just doing what he does best in creating an argument that distracts from the underlying. 

I am encouraged by Birx, Fauci and Adams are still engaged and giving sound advice and measured expectations. 

I’m too worn out to get dragged into the political fighting.  It’s just not worth it. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: March 24, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »
This is 2 weeks old, but early research from the University of Maryland suggests warmer temperatures will help to slow down the spread of the virus.

"Researchers at the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) and the Global Virus Network (GVN) predict that COVID-19 will follow a seasonal pattern similar to other respiratory viruses like seasonal flu."

“Based on what we have documented so far, it appears that the virus has a harder time spreading between people in warmer, tropical climates,” said study leader Mohammad Sajadi, MD"

https://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/news/2020/Researchers-Predict-Potential-Spread-and-Seasonality-for-COVID-19-Based-on-Climate-Where-Virus-Appears-to-Thrive.html

Yes this is theory and from what I hear from South America and India it makes that not seem to be playing out like portrayed in the model. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2295 on: March 24, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »
IMO trump is just doing what he does best in creating an argument that distracts from the underlying. 

I am encouraged by Birx, Fauci and Adams are still engaged and giving sound advice and measured expectations. 

I’m too worn out to get dragged into the political fighting.  It’s just not worth it.

I hear you.

Just a sh!tstorm of epic proportions. I hope people like Fauci and the like can get governors scared enough that more of them take action while the nation's capitol watches. We need to flatten that curve soon....

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2296 on: March 24, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
Italy's death totals went back up today.
https://www.france24.com/en/20200324-italy-s-coronavirus-deaths-rise-by-743-in-24-hours-reversing-recent-decline-in-daily-fatalities

Hopefully an outlier against the decline we had seen the previous two days, but my best guess is they will continue to see rising numbers for 7-10 days yet based on the March 13 shutdown date.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2297 on: March 24, 2020, 06:33:02 PM »
https://theintercept.com/2020/03/23/gilead-sciences-coronavirus-treatment-orphan-drug-status/

Gilead granted special status so that they can make boat-loads of money if their drug can treat COVID.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2298 on: March 24, 2020, 06:35:52 PM »
Sure. But I see a lot less of that. Could just be about where I'm looking I guess.

Fair enough.

I see it about 50/50 with people around me on a daily basis.

Totally anecdotal, but it appears that higher socioeconomic status = more economy concern and lower SE status = more health concern. Again, just my personal interactions.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »

I worry they, and any others, will be silenced on the national stage in the coming days and weeks.

feedback