collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127398 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1900 on: March 20, 2020, 05:27:04 PM »

They can currently test 4,000/day, and are working on increasing capacity further.

Gracias!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1901 on: March 20, 2020, 05:53:43 PM »
I'd like to point out that we just passed the total number of deaths from Ebola without signs of slowing.

Ebola was 11,323 total.  At the time of this posting, the John's Hopkins tracker hasn't recorded the ones that have passed it, but it should be there shortly.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1902 on: March 20, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »
I'd like to point out that we just passed the total number of deaths from Ebola without signs of slowing.

Ebola was 11,323 total.  At the time of this posting, the John's Hopkins tracker hasn't recorded the ones that have passed it, but it should be there shortly.

I'm not sure these comparisons mean much.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1903 on: March 20, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
I'm not sure these comparisons mean much.

sorry, I'll do better next time.

We worried yet?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

Marquette Gyros

• Starter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1906 on: March 20, 2020, 08:12:12 PM »

NYC not making progress:

https://apple.news/Ada0L5ntyQ92sk-wA8gVELg

Javits Center or MSG turning into coronavirus hospitals?

We just started locking down. I pray this will impact things in 1-2 weeks. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1907 on: March 20, 2020, 08:53:28 PM »
We just started locking down. I pray this will impact things in 1-2 weeks.

This is from an investing site, but it suggests it takes 23-24 days for an infection to play out, so results of a lockdown take that long to be effective.  That would go towards explaining why Italy is not yet seeing any improvement.

The math is pretty dire here:
https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/hell-is-coming-here-is-the-mathematical-proof-822824/

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1908 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:37 PM »
The behind the scenes of the wasted two months:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1241156349515440140?s=19

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1909 on: March 20, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
To give an idea on why people are so concerned about this in Italy, more people have died from COVID-19 since March 1st, then have died of the flu since October 2019.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1910 on: March 20, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »
Here’s a blind taste test.

Leader A:  “I don’t take responsibility at all.”
Leader B: “I accept full responsibility”.

Which one would you choose? We have a severe, severe leadership crisis, people. People are dying every day because of the inaction, lying, and utter incompetence, and still people are afraid to speak out. Trump declares “We are not your shipping clerk” while hospitals beg citizens to see masks to give to hospitals so they can stop re-using them

If this gets me banned - so be it. PEOPLE ARE DYING!! Speak the f** k up!

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #1911 on: March 21, 2020, 12:19:04 AM »
I hope this isn't taken as spam given the situation...

If anyone has contacts in need of large mask and/or other needed medical supplies,  you can contact me for buyer-to-factory direct purchases. I've been in the business for 10 years, lived in China for the past 8 years, and am currently in China.

stephen@magellan-imports.com

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1912 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:49 AM »

Which one would you choose? We have a severe, severe leadership crisis, people. People are dying every day because of the inaction, lying, and utter incompetence, and still people are afraid to speak out. Trump declares “We are not your shipping clerk” while hospitals beg citizens to see masks to give to hospitals so they can stop re-using them

Leader A is not a leader, but an insecure child. Truly terrifying.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1913 on: March 21, 2020, 02:21:55 AM »

Oh jock you are such a self righteous martyr.  Getting away with your usual, but I didn’t even say...you are lucky to be on the home team. Or you would be gone faster than you could say chicos
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1914 on: March 21, 2020, 07:11:13 AM »
Oh jock you are such a self righteous martyr.  Getting away with your usual, but I didn’t even say...you are lucky to be on the home team. Or you would be gone faster than you could say chicos

I agree that Jodkey gets to be a little much.  And his latest statement isn't helpful.

But he's not wrong.

And Cheeks was banned not because of what he said, but because he carpet bombed every single topic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:15:21 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1915 on: March 21, 2020, 07:34:24 AM »

A million things should get you banned; fortunately for you the mods have the same eff’d up views as you and have different rules for different people. Congrats, brandi
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1916 on: March 21, 2020, 08:04:30 AM »
Elon Musk claims he'll be distributing 250K masks and 1K ventilators.  Hope this is real. Musk has a history of overly optimistic timelines, but good to see private citizens stepping in to fill the void.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/21/elon-musk-should-have-1000-ventilators-next-week-250k-n95-masks-for-hospitals-tomorrow-cleantechnica-exclusive/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1917 on: March 21, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »
The map is so misleading. You would think every person in Europe has the virus with all that red. Even if there were a 1000 times more cases world wide that would only be about 4% of the population infected. I think people are concerned enough and should take precautions as we still know very little about the virus and how it spreads and how to treat it, but to exaggerate the outbreak of the virus in proportion to the population as the map does only causes more anxiety.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1918 on: March 21, 2020, 08:25:47 AM »
FWIW...I don't view Jockey's comment as primarily political, but rather a statement about the seriously flawed personality of the person at the top.

Why? I disagreed with many of the policy positions of guys like Cruz or Jeb or Rubio...but I truly believe that if they had been elected, they would be doing the right thing today - assuming responsibility for the current crisis (regardless of "fault"), saying things to calm the country instead of to preserve his feeling of being "right," and generally acting with honesty and humility. Cruz or Jeb or Rubio would be honest with us, consistent in their messaging, relying on the experts, and trying to calm the public. And while I also didn't agree with many of Hillary's or Bernie's policy positions, I believe they would be doing the same as Cruz or Jeb or Rubio. The same that Bush did in the immediate shadow 9/11.

So no, I don't view it as political because this historic crisis transcends party lines. I view it as a statement about the fundamentally flawed personality of the person who happens to be at the top.

Just my 0.02.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1919 on: March 21, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »
Elon Musk claims he'll be distributing 250K masks and 1K ventilators.  Hope this is real. Musk has a history of overly optimistic timelines, but good to see private citizens stepping in to fill the void.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/21/elon-musk-should-have-1000-ventilators-next-week-250k-n95-masks-for-hospitals-tomorrow-cleantechnica-exclusive/

GE Healthcare plant in Madison has gone to 24x7 operation to make ventilators and we're putting people in to support and resolve operational breakdowns in real time, all while people have minimal PPE available. May go unnoticed but this is where people in this country shine
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1920 on: March 21, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
GE Healthcare plant in Madison has gone to 24x7 operation to make ventilators and we're putting people in to support and resolve operational breakdowns in real time, all while people have minimal PPE available. May go unnoticed but this is where people in this country shine

I see tons of social media posts thanking our nurses and doctors, for working with people, while everyone stays home.

We do not see the same "thank you" posts for our grocery clerks, delivery drivers, shipping teams, manufacturers, and sanitation workers, many of them making minimum wage, that are also having to work in close contact with people putting them at risk.

I tremendously appreciate the work the nurses and doctors are doing for us. They are at high risk, but at the same time, they signed up to do things exactly like this and at least in the case of doctors, are well compensated for it. The grocery clerk did not sign up for this, they are certainly not well compensated, so lets remember to shower some thanks on the unsung heroes keeping our nation afloat.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1921 on: March 21, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Good short, video to share with those you know that still might not get it

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1241225019952263170?s=19

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1922 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:01 AM »
FWIW...I don't view Jockey's comment as primarily political, but rather a statement about the seriously flawed personality of the person at the top.

Why? I disagreed with many of the policy positions of guys like Cruz or Jeb or Rubio...but I truly believe that if they had been elected, they would be doing the right thing today - assuming responsibility for the current crisis (regardless of "fault"), saying things to calm the country instead of to preserve his feeling of being "right," and generally acting with honesty and humility. Cruz or Jeb or Rubio would be honest with us, consistent in their messaging, relying on the experts, and trying to calm the public. And while I also didn't agree with many of Hillary's or Bernie's policy positions, I believe they would be doing the same as Cruz or Jeb or Rubio. The same that Bush did in the immediate shadow 9/11.

So no, I don't view it as political because this historic crisis transcends party lines. I view it as a statement about the fundamentally flawed personality of the person who happens to be at the top.

Just my 0.02.

How can you not separate politics and President Trump? If there is a failure of leadership, then all our leaders are failing. The Governor of California just closed all non-essential work in the state. Who determines what is essential and what is not? There can be a lot of unintended consequences with such a directive, but what alternative is there. This is not the time to fault our leaders regardless of our opinions of them. This is a serious crisis that not only affects our health but our livelihood as well. We should refrain from second guessing every decision they make. Lets hope we can all work together rather than pointing fingers at each other.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1923 on: March 21, 2020, 09:12:27 AM »
I see tons of social media posts thanking our nurses and doctors, for working with people, while everyone stays home.

We do not see the same "thank you" posts for our grocery clerks, delivery drivers, shipping teams, manufacturers, and sanitation workers, many of them making minimum wage, that are also having to work in close contact with people putting them at risk.

I tremendously appreciate the work the nurses and doctors are doing for us. They are at high risk, but at the same time, they signed up to do things exactly like this and at least in the case of doctors, are well compensated for it. The grocery clerk did not sign up for this, they are certainly not well compensated, so lets remember to shower some thanks on the unsung heroes keeping our nation afloat.

True...and this applies to anyone who is deemed to work in an essential critical infrastructure service. In addition to those you mentioned, the people who keep the power and water safe and flowing, ensure access to internet and telephone services, and many more.

Also - thanks to everyone who has been acting responsibly, regardless of profession, but maintaining social distancing, staying home when the authorities tell you to stay home, and generally doing what you can to "flatten the curve."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1924 on: March 21, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »
How can you not separate politics and President Trump? If there is a failure of leadership, then all our leaders are failing. The Governor of California just closed all non-essential work in the state. Who determines what is essential and what is not? There can be a lot of unintended consequences with such a directive, but what alternative is there. This is not the time to fault our leaders regardless of our opinions of them. This is a serious crisis that not only affects our health but our livelihood as well. We should refrain from second guessing every decision they make. Lets hope we can all work together rather than pointing fingers at each other.

I agree with the sentiment. But when the person at the very top routinely engages in deflection and finger pointing instead of leadership and honesty, it's hard to keep the country on the same page.