[May 13, 2024, 08:47:10 PM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Martin ends up getting the job  (Read 43499 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Martin ends up getting the job
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 10:24:27 PM »
Maybe a coach who has experience in a major conference, has contacts in the national AAU programs, has no track record of getting in trouble either on a personal basis or school, who will reflect well upon the university and can relate to the current players and incoming recruits.

One thing about Martin is that his staff consists of an ex MU player in Jon Harris and Tracy Webster, who went to Wisconsin and has major recruiting ties to the midwest.  Tenn also has offered JJJ, Hill and Diamond Stone and probably other MU targets in the next classes.

Downsize is he was on life support until his team got hot at end of year.  Remember Tenn is SEC football and b-ball is option #3 behind the Tenn womans program.  

He would not be the "Impact Hire" as a Smart would have been, but I believe he would be able to keep the current players, incoming recruits and benefit in the recruitment of Stone.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »
While not my first choice:

1.  Great KenPom numbers indicate he does have some X and O ability

2. Has relationships with our current recruits and targets may provide some level of stability with mire certainty than our previous hire

3.  Wants to be here

Says who?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
Well, I'm not my own source.

But did you Respect The Process?
Relax. Respect the Process.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Bro,

Represent the Practice.

Respecting the process, my friend.  Just saying he's #2 on the list.  Doesn't mean we get him.  These situations are always fluid.  Shaka was #1 and we had a chance with him.  But we didn't get him.  Martin is #2, and we have a chance with him.  Let's see what happens given his season just ended under 2 hours ago.  Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:30 PM »
Eventually you guys will come around. Yall will love this guy! Most importantly his players will love playing for him.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
What does Tim Maymon have to say about this?

Pic Intellectual Property of Fullodds. Stolen by Avenue Commons.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:37:47 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »

Says who?

Based on the fact that he is by hypothetically leaving an SEC job to come here.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
Great pic.  Funny stuff

AshyLarry

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Not saying I'm happy to settle and this Martin talk is all still speculation but....

We never had Ben or Shaka so let's just compare Martin to Bart.  Which one is better?  Which one has more upside?  I think if anything, we could just call it an even trade or maybe we got the slight edge in the deal.  Thoughts?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
Boo and hiss.

Dude is nothing special and his recruiting is even more ho hum than his records or coaching.

Why? Makes no sense.

Spot on.  A Martin hire would be a downgrade from Buzz.

I'm starting to get that Bob Dukiet feeling.  crap.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
Not saying I'm happy to settle and this Martin talk is all still speculation but....

We never had Ben or Shaka so let's just compare Martin to Bart.  Which one is better?  Which one has more upside?  I think if anything, we could just call it an even trade or maybe we got the slight edge in the deal.  Thoughts?

People keep bitching about Martin's in game coaching and honestly outside of a few occasions Buzz's in game coaching, sub patterns, etc always perplexed me.  Buzz is a better recruiter right now than Martin but I'm curious to see how long it's going to take for his mis steps to catch up with him.  Long run I'd say it's probably a net zero for us.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
For any insiders, what exactly is MU looking for in a coach?  What traits are they valuing the highest?

Someone who: will help them get the fanbase to lower expectations, feign excitement, find it acceptable to throw money at a program to win the same amount as others that spend a fraction of what they do rather than effectively managing it, can pretend to enjoy working with a geezer who was out of it for six years and comes back to call press conferences for fun, and will leave after a few years to allow the next search to be conducted...hopefully there aren't a new batch of interim tags attached to everyone next time.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
You would hope the events of this week would of taught us a thing or two about self-proclaimed insiders.

I can't + this enough.

This inside info garbage, jesus already.

When MU has an announcement, they'll f'n announce something.

Unless Cords or Lovell are posting here, no one knows a damn thing.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »
While not my first choice:

1.  Great KenPom numbers indicate he does have some X and O ability

2. Has relationships with our current recruits and targets may provide some level of stability with more certainty than our previous hire

3.  Wants to be here

Enough said...he revived Missouri State program that has since his departure regressed left when them as conference champs at 26-9 after his departure... 16-16, the following, 11-22, and 20-13 this year...

Walked into a mess at Tennessee and has done a good job.  Just 20 years ago, MU's coach got ripped after Sweet 16 appearance by TN from the SEC...and now, we have the ability to steal their coach after the Sweet 16.  I'd say the program has made some progress..

WAs a Howland fan too...but there is some recent stink on him too...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 10:34:05 PM »
Spot on.  A Martin hire would be a downgrade from Buzz.

I'm starting to get that Bob Dukiet feeling.  crap.
i didn't realize buzz had better credentials when taking over the MU job.  if martin makes you feel the dukiet era, how did the buzz hiring make you feel?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 10:35:55 PM »
i didn't realize buzz had better credentials when taking over the MU job.  if martin makes you feel the dukiet era, how did the buzz hiring make you feel?

Excellent

Can those doubting him at least acknowledge the jury is out?  We quite frankly don't what kind of hire this will turn out to be
No Finish Line

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
Great pic.  Funny stuff

Yes. Sorry. Meant to give you a credit after I jacked it from an earlier thread.
We Are Marquette

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
I'll say this much

I'm more optimistic right now with the prospect of Martin than I was with the prospect of Brent Williams back in 2008

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »

Buzz didn't even have a full season of HC experience, so I had no idea what to expect.

I've seen what Cuonzo can do as a HC....

You also realize that we were blindsided by TCs departure in 2008 and had no 3 time Final Four coaches lobbying for the job?

This time, Buzz was apparently "helped" out the door so we've had time to think about this...and a 3 time Final Four coach who wants a shot.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:45:02 PM by GooooMarquette »

Milwarriorkee

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
For those that think this is a good hire, tell me where I am wrong:

Two possible outcomes for Martin at MU

1. He struggles and is let go after 5 seasons
2. He has success and bails to a big 10 school in 5 seasons

How is this better than howland?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
I will wait for the official announcement than listening to you people. Get off the sauce

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
Buzz didn't even have a full season of HC experience, so I had no idea what to expect.

I've seen what Cuonzo can do as a HC....

You also realize that we were blindsided by TCs departure in 2008 and had no 3 time Final Four coaches lobbying for the job?

This time, Buzz was apparently "helped" out the door so we've had time to think about this...and a 3 time Final Four coach who wants a shot?
so you're saying we should look for someone with less experience.  surely not someone who took his first team to a conf champ in his first stint and his second team to the S16 after the previous coach was banned from coaching for a few years wouldn't have a better resume.  

i'd be very happy with howland, but if they don't hire him, they probably have good reason.  after howland, martin is probably as good as it gets.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
For those that think this is a good hire, tell me where I am wrong:

Two possible outcomes for Martin at MU

1. He struggles and is let go after 5 seasons
2. He has success and bails to a big 10 school in 5 seasons

How is this better than howland?

I'm here on the Howland bus with you.  But why would Martin ditch us for the B10?  It seems we can compete with any of them with respect to salary.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
Same TP, different Sh!t

Milwarriorkee

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »
I'm here on the Howland bus with you.  But why would Martin ditch us for the B10?  It seems we can compete with any of them with respect to salary.

Purdue.  How could anyone think we would go there, if available. And you can by if he has success at MU, they will want him. And he will leave. Just a weak hire for the supposed "best coaching vacancy in the country"