Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Martin ends up getting the job  (Read 43758 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Martin ends up getting the job
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
If Bennett was interested why didn't they wait to talk to him?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
Cords is dead to me

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
Martin will get the job IMO and will happen quickly.

disappointing if true. Not an impact hire by a long shot.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »
So it went from MU fighting tooth and nail for a someone they desperately wanted to "let's get this over with and we'll take this guy, I guess."

Kinda what I was thinking. "We wasted a week jerking off Shaka Smart, so,we better hire the next guy that walks through the door." Don't think that's necessarily what Goose meant...more likely, they had Smart and Cuonzo 1 and 2. 1's out of the picture, so let's get the next guy.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
I absolutely would LOVE this hire...Cuonzo Martin C'MON DOWN!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »
Pakuni

Say what you want about so called insiders. For me I hope anyone that has any info shares it with people that are interested. For my part this week I have no regrets. I posted things what I trusted as honest and still do.

Someday I hope you or someone else posts what you believe to be real solid info. Trust me I would not bash you in incorrect.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »
If Bennett was interested why didn't they wait to talk to him?

This was nothing more than message board speculation

chapman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
Is this the impact hire we've been waiting for???

Yes, the positive vibes you're seeing are either our usual low expectation fanbase deluding themselves, maybe combined with enlisted trolls to spread goodwill to make it look like this isn't a pathetic hire and gramps didn't completely botch it.  Hopefully they don't overpay in our quest to continue to have one of the worst ROIs in the nation.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
Pakuni

Say what you want about so called insiders. For me I hope anyone that has any info shares it with people that are interested. For my part this week I have no regrets. I posted things what I trusted as honest and still do.

Someday I hope you or someone else posts what you believe to be real solid info. Trust me I would not bash you in incorrect.

GOOSE. You alright with me brotha. I enjoy reading your posts.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:15 PM »
Coaching Changes ‏@CoachingChanges  1m
Predictions:
Boston College-Pat Skerry
South Florida: Dave Rice
Marquette: Cuonzo Martin
Houston: Kelvin Sampson
Wash St: Ernie Kent
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
So is Tenessee's student section called the Cuonzone, or should I be looking to ™ that?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »
Vegas

For my buck not an impact hire. Not a strikeout and not a score. My hopes were higher than us and I was led to believe school had similar expectations.

Yep.  Huge disappointment after all the talk about impact hires.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
Howland is a comp, just the top name on cords emergency list that sets the baseline, not happening - Shaka...too bad, someone blew something in that deal - Martin's ripe, but there are a 100 qualified coaches out there - you want the right one !!!! 

GO MU

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
For any insiders, what exactly is MU looking for in a coach?  What traits are they valuing the highest?

I can't believe they would have forced Buzz out if they thought they would end up with Cuonzo Martin, of all people.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 10:14:57 PM »
Pakuni

Goose .... i wasn't speaking only of you, and I'm not trying to be jag here, but since you responded .... over the past couple years, your insider information has told us that the MU administration intended to scale back its commitment to basketball,  had a handshake agreement for Buzz to leave after the 2012, then 2013, seasons, and that Shaka was the guy (among other claims). NONE of these things occurred.
So, perhaps you'll forgive my skepticism.

If you guys want to believe that in the 60 or so minutes after Martin lost in heartbreaking fashion in the Sweet 16,  he'accepted the MU job, don't allow me to stop you. I have my doubts. Even KO didn't move that fast.

Maybe Martin does end up being the guy. But in that case, I'd chalk up your prediction to dumb luck more than actual inside information.  After all, you throw enough cr*p against the wall ....
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:20:01 PM by Pakuni »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
For any insiders, what exactly is MU looking for in a coach?  What traits are they valuing the highest?

I can't believe they would have forced Buzz out if they thought they would end up with Cuonzo Martin, of all people.

Yeah, I'd like to know too.

It obviously isn't about wins and losses, because we Martin would be a huge downgrade.  Buzz had 4 great years and one bad one.  Martin had two bad years and one good one.  

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
Goose

Thought you were on your way to The Dells.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 10:17:51 PM »
For those ok with Martin, what are his strengths?  His recruiting seems spotty and I've never thought his in game coaching was anything special.  If he helps keep our current recruiting class it might be a good short term hire.  I just don't see how he is this high on our list (if true, of course).  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:03 PM »
Well, Martin has been #2 on the admin's list.  We all know who #1 was and how that went, so...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
Well, Martin has been #2 on the admin's list.  We all know who #1 was and how that went, so...

Sources?

brandx

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »
Howland is a comp, just the top name on cords emergency list that sets the baseline, not happening - Shaka...too bad, someone blew something in that deal - Martin's ripe, but there are a 100 qualified coaches out there - you want the right one !!!! 

GO MU

I'm not quite sure about 100 qualified coaches, but I think your point is that there are quite a few and I absolutely agree. There are a lot of assistants right now who will end up being good coaches as well as several head coaches who are just in the wrong situations now.

We'll all have our opinions when a coach is named and guys who don't like the hire will fall all over themselves criticizing the choice after the first loss next year, but we won't know if the choice was a success or not for several years.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »
Boo and hiss.

Dude is nothing special and his recruiting is even more ho hum than his records or coaching.

Why? Makes no sense.

Of course, Goose's information has been about as reliable as square wheels over the last two to three years, so maybe there lies hope elsewhere.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Well, I'm not my own source.

Bro,

Represent the Practice.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:16 PM »
For those ok with Martin, what are his strengths?  His recruiting seems spotty and I've never thought his in game coaching was anything special.  If he helps keep our current recruiting class it might be a good short term hire.  I just don't see how he is this high on our list (if true, of course).  

While not my first choice:

1.  Great KenPom numbers indicate he does have some X and O ability

2. Has relationships with our current recruits and targets may provide some level of stability with more certainty than our previous hire

3.  Wants to be here

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:25:28 PM by Marquette_g »

feedback