Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Article on Wes about offseason and Free Agency  (Read 10416 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: Article on Wes about offseason and Free Agency
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
NHL playoffs - entertaining? Does any team NOT make them?

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »

The same thing can be said about the NBA.  Both sports send 16 teams.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »
3 out of 12 series have been sweeps.  And of those 12 games, only 3 were decided by more than 10 points.  So yeah, your point is so valid.

I count 4:  Orl over Charlotte, Orl over Atl, Phx over SA, and LA over Utah.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
I count 4:  Orl over Charlotte, Orl over Atl, Phx over SA, and LA over Utah.

Stand corrected.  Thanks for the assist.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
Stand corrected.  Thanks for the assist.

No problem - here to help.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
yeah they are so awsome with how many 4-0 sweeps already? College basketball is the only entertaining bball around. The NHL playoffs are where the entertainment is at

It's the Donaghy factor.  Before his stuff came out, the NBA refs made darn sure that a team coming home trailing 2-0 was given every opportunity possible to win game 3.  With people watching a little more closely now, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

The Florida Panthers. 9 years, an NHL record and counting.

That being said, when exactly are the NHL playoffs? I must have missed them this year.....and last year.....and the year before that....and...and....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
you are clearly missing out. In the NHL playoffs, 8 seeds actually stand a chance. And win some series. 3/4 series were sweeps for the NBA that is not good basketball. Its the same teams every year. The amount of teams in the playoffs is just fine, baseball lets in too few and has the same teams basically EXACTLY the same
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
I listen to the NHL playoffs on my phone at work and think I should contact teams to hire me as a professional listener. I'm a Blackhawks fan, and they are 7-0 in games I have listened to start to finish in the playoffs. In their only loss with me listening, I had started off listening to the Nashville broadcast because I couldn't find the 'Hawks cast.

But it goes beyond my own team. I've listened to three Montreal Canadiens broadcasts on their English station and they've won all three games. In game 7 against the Penguins, the Habs went up 4-0 and I stopped listening. They quickly allowed 2 goalsw
 while I was listening to the Philly/Boston game on Philly's network. The Flyers scored while I listened, then I went back to the Habs. They summarily scored their fifth goal and won the series. After that game, I went back to the Flyers, but this time listened to the Boston broadcast. The Bruins scored their only goal with me listening.

And tonight? I'm listening to the Boston commentary. No surprise they're up 3-1 after 1.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »
to all those NBA lovers when was the last time the conference finals were a 7 vs 8

when was the last 3-0 deficit overcome?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

romey

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »
to all those NBA lovers when was the last time the conference finals were a 7 vs 8

when was the last 3-0 deficit overcome?

Not sure what the point is you're trying to make with the last sentence, but almost NO ONE in any sport comes back from a 3-0 deficit.  I just saw a graphic tonight that the Flyers came back from 3-0 to beat the Bruins and it was only the fourth time in the history of NHL, MLB and NBA that it has ever happened.  Red Sox over Yanks in ALCS in '04, and two other hockey series (one in 1942 and the other more recent, maybe in the 70's?)

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
nice to see wes get some publicity

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:19 PM »
Not sure what the point is you're trying to make with the last sentence, but almost NO ONE in any sport comes back from a 3-0 deficit.  I just saw a graphic tonight that the Flyers came back from 3-0 to beat the Bruins and it was only the fourth time in the history of NHL, MLB and NBA that it has ever happened.  Red Sox over Yanks in ALCS in '04, and two other hockey series (one in 1942 and the other more recent, maybe in the 70's?)

I'm guessing he's referring to the Flyers/Canadiens matchup in the East and the Bruins collapse to the Flyers.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
I'm with you on this one. There's no way Utah is letting him go. He fits their style perfectly, Sloan is a HOF coach and he gets to play with the best PG in the league. If Boozer stays and add another quality big, they will be a scary team in the next few years.

You're making the mistake of assuming that Wes (and Boozer for that matter) want to stay in Utah. If I was in my 20's, rich, and African American, there are a lot of other cities I'd want to be in before I was in Salt Lake City, Utah.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »

Yeah...no way Matthews is a $3 M a year player at this point.  Too limited offensively.

Yes, he is worth that much. If the draft was held again he would be a mid-first round pick. He is a perfect role player who does all "the little things" which is what teams are looking for these days. No one wants problems, they want players that play in a system and produce. Wes would fit in perfectly on any veteran (San Antonio, Phoenix, Boston, Lakers, etc.) team as a role player off the bench. $3-4M is very, very plausible for Wes.

Here's San Antonio's salaries: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Roger Mason makes $3.8M and Matt Bonner makes $3.2. You're going to tell me Wes couldn't get $2.8-3.2M as a free agent at only 23 years of age and with the season and playoff he just had?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:37:46 AM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
You're making the mistake of assuming that Wes (and Boozer for that matter) want to stay in Utah. If I was in my 20's, rich, and African American, there are a lot of other cities I'd want to be in before I was in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Fixed.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »
Yes, he is worth that much. If the draft was held again he would be a mid-first round pick.

Which would equate to around $1.5 mil per year.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »

My point was he is a first round pick-caliber player going into his second contract as a free agent. Best thing that ever happened to Wes was not getting drafted.
We Are Marquette

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »

Only because of the collective bargaining agreement...they would likely get much more on the open market.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 06:37:24 AM »
I'm been avoiding the NHL since the Whalers stupidly relocated.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »

Yeah...no way Matthews is a $3 M a year player at this point.  Too limited offensively.

We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »

Yeah...no way Matthews is a $3 M a year player at this point.  Too limited offensively.

TOLD YOU SO.................

Way to go Wes!

Yahoo:
Wesley Matthews has signed a 5-year, $34 million offer sheet with Portland, his agent, Lance Young, tells Y!

We Are Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 02:15:20 AM »

You mean that's not you in your profile? :p
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 02:19:34 AM »
BTW, I think the Blazers see potential in Wes but are really doing this to screw them over. They know he's loved in Utah. What better than to throw money at a beloved young player, possibly get him away from them, AND screw them all at once?

I hope they match, but if not, I hope Wes blossoms in Portland and force them to trade ROY and his contract! lol

I guess this Portland article says it all:

"The Blazers are allowed to front-load the deal with a percentage of his first-year money up front, as well as a signing bonus, according to a source within the organization.

But the total amount offered in the deal amounts to the full mid-level dollar amount at the end of five years, the source says.

Why would Portland do that? To make it more difficult for Utah to match the offer."

Also...

"If the Jazz don’t match, Matthews’ contract will push the Blazers over the tax limit."

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=127882499742280200
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:29:48 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette