Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Article on Wes about offseason and Free Agency  (Read 10434 times)

State Street Warrior

• Starter
Article on Wes about offseason and Free Agency
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
A short article about Wes' plan for the offseason and hinting that the Jazz will match offers made from other teams.  Should be an interesting offseason for him and the Jazz.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700031591/Utah-Jazz-Wesley-Matthews-Kyrylo-Fesenko-at-Jazz-crossroads.html

drewm88

• All American
Re: Article on Wes about offseason and Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:50:35 PM »
From the article:

"(Matthews) has just been a bulldog," Sloan said Tuesday. "He's been willing to work and to do extra stuff to make himself better. On the rating sheet for our defense, he was one of the top guys all year long. … He's been fun to coach."

Compare that to the quote Sloan has about Fesenko in the same article:

"Fes is a guy who can get better — if he works at it," said Sloan. "We can't make him do the work. He's got to learn how to work harder."

Love the respect for Wes, love what Wes has done, further love the fact that Sloan clearly wasn't just blowing smoke about all his players.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
From the article:

"(Matthews) has just been a bulldog," Sloan said Tuesday. "He's been willing to work and to do extra stuff to make himself better. On the rating sheet for our defense, he was one of the top guys all year long. … He's been fun to coach."

And any compliment about his defense is a high compliment coming from a guy who was nicknamed The Human Chainsaw.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

groove

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:51:50 AM »
And any compliment about his defense is a high compliment coming from a guy who was nicknamed The Human Chainsaw.

Yeah, I hated when the Bucks had to play the Bulls when the Bulls had Sloan, Van Lier and Awtrey. Awtrey would always hammer Jabbar with cheap shots.

Update: I just read the 3/18/74 edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel that had coverage of the previous day's game between the Bulls and the Bucks. Headline: Bulls Brawl; Bucks Win. The game featured three altercations - Awtrey punched Jabbar; Sloan and Oscar Robertson went at it and Fritz Williams later tackled Sloan.  Sloan's reaction to Awtrey chasing down Jabbar and punching him in the face? "The big guy is always giving people the elbow, Dennis had a right to go after him" Ahh, Good times, when hard fouls were allowed in the NBA.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:14:01 AM by groove »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
I'm figuring the Jazz will extend him a contract of about 12-16 mil over 4 years.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »
All the comments at the bottom of the article love Wes as well. Personally as a person who hates the NBA and only roots for teams with players that I like, I hope Wes dips on the Jazz. I am a Nuggets fan because I love Melo but I will be rooting for whatever team Dwade and Wes go to as long as they dont stay with their current garbage teams. Wade is a stud and needs another ring while Wes may not start on other teams, he will atleast be with good players who are smart. The Jazz are a team of complete tools with no basketball sense and I could barely stand watching them.

Hopefully they both go to the same team, that would be gold.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »
All the comments at the bottom of the article love Wes as well. Personally as a person who hates the NBA and only roots for teams with players that I like, I hope Wes dips on the Jazz. I am a Nuggets fan because I love Melo but I will be rooting for whatever team Dwade and Wes go to as long as they dont stay with their current garbage teams. Wade is a stud and needs another ring while Wes may not start on other teams, he will atleast be with good players who are smart. The Jazz are a team of complete tools with no basketball sense and I could barely stand watching them.

I think you're way-off about the Jazz (perhaps blinded by your Nugget love?).  The Jazz beat the Nuggets in the play-offs because they were well-coached (Sloan is a top-5 coach in the league).  They were missing AK and Okur and still won.  They played the Lakers competitively in each game (I think), but Kobe + Pau (not to mention Artest/Bynum/Odom) just had too much talent to overcome.  

I hope Wes stays on the Jazz and D-Wade gets Amare in Miami.  

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
I think you're way-off about the Jazz (perhaps blinded by your Nugget love?).

Agreed. The Jazz have a good young core, but there were and are too many scorers on their team. Miles took a lot of bad shots in the LA series.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

BostonBaller

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
Wes also had a nice phone interview today on ESPN 2 1st and 10. sounded very grateful and humble for his opportunity at Utah, although he said "what?" about 3 times to questions...sounds like someone needs a new phone with the money he will be making!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »

Agreed. The Jazz have a good young core, but there were and are too many scorers on their team. Miles took a lot of bad shots in the LA series.

They looked a lot more cohesive once they dealt of Brewer, and Milsap was huge off the bench in just about every playoff game.

And bonus... they also have one of the top 2 PGs in the league.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
Did you just completely skip over the part where I said I root for Melo? I hate the NBA and dont like any teams as a whole. I root for players because the NBA is garbage. The Jazz suck its that simple. Millsap is a good player.  Freshenko is god awful. Ronnie Price cant shoot, doesnt pass and cant play d. Miles takes dumb shot after dumb shot. Boozer takes idiotic shots as well but is atleast a good player. But he wont be back(again proving they will suck next year). WIlliams is a star and hes the only one on the team that is so he even takes idiotic shots down the stretch. Do you know how many times Wes camped otu in the corner while Miles and company jacked up turn around contested shots for misses? The comments on the article have their own fans saying the same thing.

The Jazz are not good. This would be further shown threw the fact they never get farther than the second round.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »
I wouldn't be shocked for offers but I would be really shocked if he left.
1. Utah loves him especially Jerry Sloan. If Jerry likes him as a rookie he's not going anywhere.
2. Wes has to be the most thankful guy in the world after his great season. If it weren't for Utah taking a chance on him he'd be playing way out east.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Wes will be back in Utah. Book it.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »
I'm figuring the Jazz will extend him a contract of about 12-16 mil over 4 years.

I like Wes as much as anyone, but I'd be SHOCKED if this occurred.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »
Sloan and the Jazz will absolutely keep Wes. For Sloan to call him a Bulldog tells the whole tale. Jerry was a tenacious player and for him to see that in a player and to show the confidence to use him as much as he did this year,he is not going to lose him to another team. the Jazz need their picks this year to replace Boozer with some height to combat the bigger teams. Carlos is too small to keep in Utah for the money he is going to make as a free agent.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
Wes will be back in Utah. Book it.

I'm with you on this one. There's no way Utah is letting him go. He fits their style perfectly, Sloan is a HOF coach and he gets to play with the best PG in the league. If Boozer stays and add another quality big, they will be a scary team in the next few years.

If there is an NBA team that I hate as much as I hate the Badgers,  I'd have to say it's that team of thugs in Denver that Hayward seems to love. They've got 3 players (K-Mart, JR Smith, and Carmelo) that are team chemistry cancers. Which is why Denver with this current group will never win. The only players worth watching on that team is Billups and the Birdman.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
I mean looking at your picture its easy to take you for an idiot but your inability to read really takes things to a whole new level. The NBA IS GARBAGE, ITS BORING AND MOST GUYS PLAY FOR THE MONEY AND NOT BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE GAME. THAT IS WHY I ROOT FOR INDIVIDUALS AND I WANT TO SEE MELO WIN, I COULD GIVE A DAMN LESS ABOUT THE NUGGETS, BUT HE HAPPENS TO PLAY FOR THEM NOW. You got that now? Im not a attracted to thugs. I rooted for Wade til he got his ring, now i hope he leaves and goes to a better team and i will hope he wins another. Basically all i can do is cheer for Wes because the Jazz have absolutly 0 prayer to ever win a championship.

That said, to the people who can actually read at a 4th grade level. I found another article by searching Wes on google where Kobe is praising  him and theres even a remark that sloan loved his play so much, Wes may be added to his will.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »
::)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:09:17 PM by mosarsour »

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 07:51:50 PM »
I like Wes as much as anyone, but I'd be SHOCKED if this occurred.

Yeah...no way Matthews is a $3 M a year player at this point.  Too limited offensively.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »
I mean looking at your picture its easy to take you for an idiot but your inability to read really takes things to a whole new level. The NBA IS GARBAGE, ITS BORING AND MOST GUYS PLAY FOR THE MONEY AND NOT BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE GAME.

That is a ridiculous statement with nothing to back it up.  Regular season NBA is dull because the season is too damn long.  NBA playoffs is the best basketball on the planet.  And it's better now than it ever has been.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
yeah they are so awsome with how many 4-0 sweeps already? College basketball is the only entertaining bball around. The NHL playoffs are where the entertainment is at

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »
yeah they are so awsome with how many 4-0 sweeps already? College basketball is the only entertaining bball around. The NHL playoffs are where the entertainment is at

le sigh.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »

3 out of 12 series have been sweeps.  And of those 12 games, only 3 were decided by more than 10 points.  So yeah, your point is so valid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »

I mean the quality of basketball played.  The NCAA tournament, while it had some exciting games, mostly was a display of brutal basketball.

feedback