collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90699 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #425 on: November 01, 2016, 03:04:42 AM »
Sorry, I trusted that a Cubs fan was providing accurate information in saying that he went from sucking in Baltimore one day to kicking ass in Chicago the next.

So there was definitely some time for him between being in Baltimore and being in the majors to receive some...treatment...

Weird.

Anyway, I'll stick to a guy having a career (did you miss it again?  I bolded it for you.  CAREER) ERA of well over 5 to suddenly cutting that in less than half at the young, blossoming age of 28 in a game where just about every player has been using banned substances of some sort for decades and decades was probably using PEDs.

Or you know, it's baseball. Players have breakout years and then go back into the unknown all the time. Ride the hot hand.

Can we get off this pointless topic and talk real baseball again? Like make another thread for this crap, just like the logos.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #426 on: November 01, 2016, 06:28:08 AM »

Or you know, it's baseball. Players have breakout years and then go back into the unknown all the time. Ride the hot hand.

Can we get off this pointless topic and talk real baseball again? Like make another thread for this crap, just like the logos.

Can't recall anybody else who has been bad up until they're 28 and then suddenly the best at their position with a historical run. But if you say it happens all the time it must be so!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #427 on: November 01, 2016, 07:00:55 AM »
Can't recall anybody else who has been bad up until they're 28 and then suddenly the best at their position with a historical run. But if you say it happens all the time it must be so!

Okay...my wife would say you're getting into reruns. We already covered this:

No one is saying it's completely common, but it's hardly unprecedented.
  • Dave Stewart had a 30-35 record when he was traded to the Oakland A's at age 29. In the next 5 seasons, he posted a 93-40 record while winning 20 games in 4 straight years.
  • Randy Johnson had a 56-61 record after 7 seasons in the bigs. At age 29, he erupted as a dominant pitcher, going 19-8 that season enroute to 303 career wins.
  • Dazzy Vance had an 0-4 career record when he signed with Brooklyn at age 31 way back in 1922. He went on to record 197 wins, including going 28-6 with a 2.16 ERA and 262 strikeouts in 1924 to win the pitching Triple Crown.
  • Jamie Moyer was 59-76 at age 32 when suddenly he found his stuff, and from ages 33-40 went 126-56.
Joe Nathan, Curt Davis, Hoyt Wilhelm, R.A. Dickey, Sandy Koufax, baseball has plenty of pitchers who didn't blossom until they were in their mid-20s or even into their 30s. It's easy to say steroids, but many of these guys became great pitchers after a change in scenery, similar to what Arrieta went through.

I'm not saying it's definitively not steroids. I don't think it is, but I don't truly know. But even if he keeps this up for the next 10 years, it wouldn't be unprecedented (Johnson pitched at an elite level into his 40s) and it wouldn't be definitively indicative of anything other than him being a great pitcher.

It doesn't happen every day, but it seems like about 1-2 times per decade, a guy comes along that blossoms late to become a dominant pitcher. These are guys from different eras, different circumstances, but similar results. You can keep repeating this "historic improvement that never happened before" line of complete BS, but just remember as you type it, it is complete BS. You are making it up and historical precedent shows you are making it up.

Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. But there is absolutely no way you can definitively say it, so please, for all our sakes, just drop it already. It's a tired, circular argument and you haven't made one micrometer of progress by asserting the same things without a shred of evidence.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #428 on: November 01, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »

Except, you know, that didn't happen.  I don't know why I continue to bother with this aside from being astounded by the idiocy.

I guess Arrieta continued to juice in April and May of this year when he had a 1.56 ERA and then decided to get clean, even though there was no change in velocity. And again, the 2-4 MPH change in velocity you claimed never existed. Bit don't let facts get in the way.

I wonder if you'd have the ⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️ to say any of this to Arrieta's face. I already know the answer, of course.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #429 on: November 01, 2016, 07:57:23 AM »
Except, you know, that didn't happen.  I don't know why I continue to bother with this aside from being astounded by the idiocy.

I guess Arrieta continued to juice in April and May of this year when he had a 1.56 ERA and then decided to get clean, even though there was no change in velocity. And again, the 2-4 MPH change in velocity you claimed never existed. Bit don't let facts get in the way.

I wonder if you'd have the ⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️ to say any of this to Arrieta's face. I already know the answer, of course.

What would Jake Arietta do?  Lol.  Has he beat the snot out of the reporters who have said it to his face already?

I don't think anybody wants someone who's been bulking up on PEDs to hit them.  But from what I understand Jake's never done that?  Despite being asked the question many times, to his face?  I don't know what you think would happen.  But okay?  Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #430 on: November 01, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »
What would Jake Arietta do?  Lol.  Has he beat the snot out of the reporters who have said it to his face already?

I don't think anybody wants someone who's been bulking up on PEDs to hit them.  But from what I understand Jake's never done that?  Despite being asked the question many times, to his face?  I don't know what you think would happen.  But okay?  Lol.

My point didn't have anything to do with anything physical. Not sure why your mind went there. That's not who Arrieta is. I just don't think you're enough of a man to question someone's integrity and all they've worked for to their face.

Keep on ignoring your false claims on the velo increase. And all of the information that would lead someone to logically conclude he's likely clean.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #431 on: November 01, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
Back to the series.....I think Jake pitches well and the Cubs get to Tomlin a bit on short rest and force a game 7.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #432 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:49 AM »
My point didn't have anything to do with anything physical. Not sure why your mind went there. That's not who Arrieta is. I just don't think you're enough of a man to question someone's integrity and all they've worked for to their face.

Keep on ignoring your false claims on the velo increase. And all of the information that would lead someone to logically conclude he's likely clean.

Lol.  So you can't have say that gun violence in Chicago is an issue unless you're willing to go out and find some of the highest profile gang leaders in Chicago and have a sit down with them to discuss your concerns on the issue?  You can't have an issue with ISIS unless you're willing to find their leader and tell him/her to his/her face that what they're doing is a horrible thing?  Only real men with big brass balls can stand up and do that!

I got it now.  :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:49:01 AM by wadesworld »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #433 on: November 01, 2016, 08:56:09 AM »
Lol.  So you can't have say that gun violence in Chicago is an issue unless you're willing to go out and find some of the highest profile gang leaders in Chicago and have a sit down with them to discuss your concerns on the issue?  You can't have an issue with ISIS unless you're willing to find their leader and tell him/her to his/her face that what they're doing is a horrible thing?  Only real men with big brass balls can stand up and do that!

I got it now.  :o

Wow. You're a piece of work.

Also, do you actually lol when you type lol?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #434 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
Wow. You're a piece of work.

Also, do you actually lol when you type lol?

Yes.

I think I found you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2AHvAOKzkk

MU82

• All American
« Reply #435 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
Hey, how 'bout that World Series?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #436 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »

I heard the cubs are gonna win it!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #437 on: November 01, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »

Go Tribe.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #438 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:35 AM »
Yes.

I think I found you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2AHvAOKzkk

I'm not sure which one fits you better.  Probably a combination of both. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #439 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
I heard the cubs are gonna win it!

You heard correctly. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #440 on: November 01, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »
Back to the series.....I think Jake pitches well and the Cubs get to Tomlin a bit on short rest and force a game 7.

I'm really hoping that limiting Tomlin to 58 pitches in Game 3 will ameliorate the short rest situation.  This one worries me because Arrieta was so strong in Game 2.  And, as we all know, once you get to Game 7, anything can happen.

I'm hoping Tomlin will pitch well and the Indians will close it out tonight.  I think it will be another low scoring affair.  Hopefully the crowd can spur the Indians and they'll get a couple runs early.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #441 on: November 01, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
I'm really hoping that limiting Tomlin to 58 pitches in Game 3 will ameliorate the short rest situation.  This one worries me because Arrieta was so strong in Game 2.  And, as we all know, once you get to Game 7, anything can happen.

I'm hoping Tomlin will pitch well and the Indians will close it out tonight.  I think it will be another low scoring affair.  Hopefully the crowd can spur the Indians and they'll get a couple runs early.

Feels like early runs are going to be key either way. The stats this postseason back that up strongly (and we all know that past performance guarantees future results).

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #442 on: November 01, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
Interesting article on Arrieta and some of his struggles this year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-cubs-season-depends-on-jake-arrietas-slider/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #443 on: November 01, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »
Why don't you two get a room at the Sybaris.  I'm sure Lenny and Chicos will loan you the time share they have there. ;D

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #444 on: November 01, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
If you think that basically every pro athlete is on PEDs then what's the point in arguing about one specific player ad nauseam? Why such outrage over one player's statistical improvement if you think that nearly everyone is also cheating? Could it perhaps be related to the team for whom he plays? I mean, Mike Napoli had career highs in HR and RBI at age 34. I don't think he's juiced up. Where's your Mike Napoli outrage?

FWIW, Napoli's OPS this season was lower than his career number.  He had career highs in HRs and RBI's because he had career high in ABs and batted clean-up rather than further down the order like he did most of his career.  He basically had the season you would have expected.  No major spike in performance.  Not saying he doesn't take PEDs, just saying his numbers are in line with what you would expect given the opportunities he got this season.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #445 on: November 01, 2016, 11:19:19 AM »
Koufax had a normal progression where he reached his peak in his late 20's. There have been enough studies to show that the age at which Koufax was at his best is the age where historically, the vast majority of players are at their best.

RJ pitched at the height of the steroid era.

Koufax became Koufax when the Dodgers moved into Dodger Stadium with its ridiculously high mound.  Prior to that he had been pitching in some great hitters parks in Brooklyn and in the old park in LA where they used to do Home Run Derby.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
Why don't you two get a room at the Sybaris.  I'm sure Lenny and Chicos will loan you the time share they have there. ;D

We actually own the room outright - but since his unfortunate banning it rarely gets used. We currently have it on airbnb and VRBO. Discounts for Scoopers of all political and sexual persuasions. No pets.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »

Sorry to break it to you but my brother-in-law is going to the game tonight and that S.O.B could curse a baby shower.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #448 on: November 01, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »
We actually own the room outright - but since his unfortunate banning it rarely gets used. We currently have it on airbnb and VRBO. Discounts for Scoopers of all political and sexual persuasions. No pets.

You should have said "no live animals".

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #449 on: November 01, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »

Only if the room has a hot tub slide in it.