collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics 2021  (Read 34007 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Olympics 2021
« Reply #350 on: August 08, 2021, 04:40:21 PM »
Yep. I am not making this up. That's what he called them.

Well, I'm not sure who coined Howard and Rowsey the "Mighty Mites" but that didn't bother me.  Obviously it was a praiseworthy designation.  Maybe the announcer wasn't being derogatory but I would have to hear it in context.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #351 on: August 08, 2021, 05:45:28 PM »
Well, I'm not sure who coined Howard and Rowsey the "Mighty Mites" but that didn't bother me.  Obviously it was a praiseworthy designation.  Maybe the announcer wasn't being derogatory but I would have to hear it in context.

That's the spirit, Muggs. The same announcer (the male one) was complimentary regarding the point guards' 3 point shooting abilities, speed, competitiveness even when down by 25, and overall feistiness so yes, the announcer (my opinion) was not taking a cheap shot at them. Its just that I picture you maybe going ballistic after his "pint sized" remark. 

Since the Japanese were already struggling against the tall Americans, he seemed surprised that they would try putting both point guards on the floor and shoot their way out of the deficit. Of the Americans' 12 blocks, a couple were comically off the American defender's forearm rather than off her hand.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #352 on: August 08, 2021, 05:56:41 PM »
That's the spirit, Muggs. The same announcer (the male one) was complimentary regarding the point guards' 3 point shooting abilities, speed, competitiveness even when down by 25, and overall feistiness so yes, the announcer (my opinion) was not taking a cheap shot at them. Its just that I picture you maybe going ballistic after his "pint sized" remark. 

Since the Japanese were already struggling against the tall Americans, he seemed surprised that they would try putting both point guards on the floor and shoot their way out of the deficit. Of the Americans' 12 blocks, a couple were comically off the American defender's forearm rather than off her hand.

It's also worth noting that Japanese women are on average pretty short.  :)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #353 on: August 08, 2021, 07:53:40 PM »
Love that they brought in Tara LIpinski and Johnny Weir for the closing ceremonies.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #354 on: August 09, 2021, 01:47:53 AM »
Johnny’s hair, with the Olympic Rings!!!!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #355 on: August 09, 2021, 04:37:19 AM »
Totally.  I mean, if you take out Durant, hell even take out Lillard, the US still had either 3 or 4 of the 5 best players in the Olympics (obviously Luka, but depends how you feel about Gobert vs Tatum, Booker, Middleton, Jrue, Bam, etc...)

The world is producing a lot of talent, but even the other powers like Spain, France, and Australia aren't fielding multiple All-NBA level talents on the floor.  Canada is really the only place other than the US that is doing it right now.
My bold prediction: Host country France will win the gold in men's basketball next Olympics.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #356 on: August 09, 2021, 07:46:47 AM »
My bold prediction: Host country France will win the gold in men's basketball next Olympics.

You may be right. Gobert was great at drawing fouls. Fortunately, he was a really poor FT shooter or the game might have been decided in the final minute, very possibly with the French 2-3 points ahead.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #357 on: August 09, 2021, 08:30:00 AM »
I don't understand how rhythmic gymnastics is not more popular.  It's like a great circus act.  I don't understand why the same people that love figure skating don't love that. 

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #358 on: August 09, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
I don't understand how rhythmic gymnastics is not more popular.  It's like a great circus act.  I don't understand why the same people that love figure skating don't love that.

My guess is that it is because the US is not competitive in that sport, so they don't feature it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #359 on: August 09, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
I saw this story last week and I think it pretty cool that for 2024 the French are planning to completely redo the opening the ceremony as well as the manner several events are held.  (A Paris Marathon for the public immediately after the Olympic Marathon  Beach Volleyball under the Eiffel Tower and allowing the public to use when there are no Olympic matches, etc.)     

The Games to change the Games: Paris 2024 lays out innovative Olympic plan
Dan Wetzel·Columnist
Fri, August 6, 2021, 1:39 AM·3 min read
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-games-to-change-the-games-paris-2024-lays-out-innovative-olympic-plan-063950354.html

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #360 on: August 09, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
One of my favorite new sports to watch was the Sport Climbing. We watched pretty much all of it -- men and women. It was a lot of fun. Those people are able to do some pretty astonishing things.

On a somewhat related note, if you haven't ever watched Free Solo, you should. Watch it on the biggest, best screen you have available to you.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
One of my favorite new sports to watch was the Sport Climbing. We watched pretty much all of it -- men and women. It was a lot of fun. Those people are able to do some pretty astonishing things.

On a somewhat related note, if you haven't ever watched Free Solo, you should. Watch it on the biggest, best screen you have available to you.

IDK where I watched it but there was a short documentary some months back featuring the presumed American Olympic sport climber competing against Alex Honnold up a series of competition walls, and, of course, totally blowing him away.  Honnold did get faster as they progressed but it just goes to show how specialized one becomes.  They both acknowledged the special skills the other had.  It was cool. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2021, 09:28:04 AM »
IDK where I watched it but there was a short documentary some months back featuring the presumed American Olympic sport climber competing against Alex Honnold up a series of competition walls, and, of course, totally blowing him away.  Honnold did get faster as they progressed but it just goes to show how specialized one becomes.  They both acknowledged the special skills the other had.  It was cool.

I'll have to track that down. If you happen to recall where you found it, please post it here or on the "What are you watching" thread.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2021, 09:35:17 AM »

Is that the one that looked like the Aggro Crag? That looked awesome.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »

Curious if this is the one. If not, it's a good watch.

Interestingly, in this video they mention that the WR for the speed climb was 5.48 for men. It's now 5.208.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #365 on: August 09, 2021, 10:30:28 AM »
Curious if this is the one. If not, it's a good watch.

Interestingly, in this video they mention that the WR for the speed climb was 5.48 for men. It's now 5.208.

That's it.  Nice find.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #366 on: August 09, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »
I saw this story last week and I think it pretty cool that for 2024 the French are planning to completely redo the opening the ceremony as well as the manner several events are held.  (A Paris Marathon for the public immediately after the Olympic Marathon  Beach Volleyball under the Eiffel Tower and allowing the public to use when there are no Olympic matches, etc.)     

The Games to change the Games: Paris 2024 lays out innovative Olympic plan
Dan Wetzel·Columnist
Fri, August 6, 2021, 1:39 AM·3 min read
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-games-to-change-the-games-paris-2024-lays-out-innovative-olympic-plan-063950354.html

Holding equestrian events at Versailles. That is going to be amazing.
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #367 on: August 09, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
Holding equestrian events at Versailles. That is going to be amazing.

Let them eat oat cakes!

feedback