[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Your Religion?

Catholic
31 (41.9%)
Non-Practicing Catholic
8 (10.8%)
Other Christian (Protestant, Lutheran, etc.)
12 (16.2%)
Jewish
2 (2.7%)
Atheist
6 (8.1%)
Agnostic
10 (13.5%)
Islamic
1 (1.4%)
I believe in a supreme being of some sort
2 (2.7%)
Other
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Religion poll - Harris  (Read 33974 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Religion poll - Harris
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »
Why is it only Catholics get to be "non-practicing"?

Can you be a non-practicing agnostic?  Or perhaps you should just add an option "I was baptized, so I'm pretty sure none of the other stuff matters".

I would be more interested in meeting a person who claims to be a 'practicing' agnostic.  There are nonpracticing Jews.  I think you are able to be 'nonpracticing' once something becomes tied into your cultural heritage rather than you belief structure.  Some would consider me a nonpracticing catholic because I will still get dragged to church with my family on holidays, although I don't buy into any primitive cultural mythology.

Sultan: I thought Lutherans were still supposed to go to mass. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »

That is why I said "in the Catholic sense."  It isn't really a "Holy Day of Obligation" that is a grave sin if intentionally missed.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
I would be more interested in meeting a person who claims to be a 'practicing' agnostic.  There are nonpracticing Jews.  I think you are able to be 'nonpracticing' once something becomes tied into your cultural heritage rather than you belief structure.  Some would consider me a nonpracticing catholic because I will still get dragged to church with my family on holidays, although I don't buy into any primitive cultural mythology.

I believe Lutherans call it "Service" not Mass.

In my youth, if we were skipping Mass after a long night of, well, whatever, we always said we were Lutheran for the weekend.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »
I answered Catholic to the poll.  I go to Mass most Sundays. 

I was looking for a category called "Troubled Catholic" or maybe "American Catholic" or maybe "Questioning Catholic"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
I was looking for a category called "Troubled Catholic" or maybe "American Catholic" or maybe "Questioning Catholic"

I'd argue that being a "Questioning Catholic" is a great label to have.

Unexamined or unquestioned faith grows stale after time. The more it is challenged or thought about the better.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »

Unexamined or unquestioned faith grows stale after time. The more it is challenged or thought about the better.

+1

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
I believe Lutherans call it "Service" not Mass.

In my youth, if we were skipping Mass after a long night of, well, whatever, we always said we were Lutheran for the weekend.

No,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_(liturgy)
"Mass is the Eucharistic celebration in the Latin liturgical rites of the Roman Catholic Church. The term is used also of similar celebrations in Old Catholic Churches, in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of Anglicanism, in Western Rite Orthodox Churches, and in Lutheran churches."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »
Growing up Lutheran, we never called it Mass.  I have never heard the phrased used before.  However, there are hundreds of "Lutheran" governing bodies throughout the world so I am sure it is called "Mass" in many locations.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

I have a hard time thinking of a catholic, under the age of 50 and non-clergy, who I'd call an "un-questioning catholic".  Catholic education teaches them to question.  A good thing, unless you are concerned about the number of our grandkids who are going to be "not at all catholic".

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
I have a hard time thinking of a catholic, under the age of 50 and non-clergy, who I'd call an "un-questioning catholic".  Catholic education teaches them to question.  A good thing, unless you are concerned about the number of our grandkids who are going to be "not at all catholic".

I'm not sure this is true.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »
How about "intertia Catholic"?     As in, I disagree with some of the church teachings, but I am comfortable with the rituals and too lazy to actually go out looking for another church?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
Cafeteria Catholic is the term that has been around for many years.  People pick and choose what they want to follow, how outraged they are about other stuff and all hoping for the E-Ticket to the pearly gates in the end.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
Cafeteria Catholic is the term that has been around for many years.  People pick and choose what they want to follow, how outraged they are about other stuff and all hoping for the E-Ticket to the pearly gates in the end.

That's fits me perfectly.

Thanks for the tip and proud to join your team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
If any of you heresiarchs ever closed Wolski's, you would believe in God.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:05:19 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
No,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_(liturgy)
"Mass is the Eucharistic celebration in the Latin liturgical rites of the Roman Catholic Church. The term is used also of similar celebrations in Old Catholic Churches, in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of Anglicanism, in Western Rite Orthodox Churches, and in Lutheran churches."

Not saying you're totally incorrect, but I've never heard a Lutheran in SE Wisconsin (kind of a bastion of Lutheranism) call it a Mass.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
I'm not sure this is true.

I'm not sure either, but I'd lay significant amounts of cash on products of catholic education being more independent thinkers than people coming out of the moody bible institute.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »

yes, funny thing about the cafeteria nature of catholicism is that, over generations, it results in a sub-culture  that is a microcosm of the greater culture where it exists.

So if you poll catholics about gay marriage, or if you just randomly call people across the country you'll get similar results.  This also happens with abortion, divorce, birth control, and several other social issues.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
With 42 votes .. Catholic / Non-Practicing Cath .. 55%  

The surprise/no surprise is that the #2 spot goes to Atheist/Agnostic, at 17%

I'd also be curious about godless 17% .. I'll bet 90+% of their parents practiced some faith.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
How about "inertia Catholic"?     As in, I disagree with some of the church teachings, but I am comfortable with the rituals and too lazy to actually go out looking for another church?

+1.  Besides, once you've belonged to one church, joining another is pretty much the same premise (a proof-less creation/explanation story) with a different slant. 

If you want something completely different, your choices are i) start your own church or ii) join a cult... neither of which appeal to us inertia Catholics.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
I'm not sure either, but I'd lay significant amounts of cash on products of catholic education being more independent thinkers than people coming out of the moody bible institute.

I would agree with that absolutely.  Catholics are more independent than the Christian extremists

🏀

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
+1.  Besides, once you've belonged to one church, joining another is pretty much the same premise (a proof-less creation/explanation story) with a different slant. 

If you want something completely different, your choices are i) start your own church or ii) join a cult... neither of which appeal to us inertia Catholics.
Inertia Catholics--a web solution is pending...go with the winner of Create Your Own Religion...some of these are pretty funny:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/27/create-your-own-religion_n_885279.html#s299089&title=Modernism
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
That's fits me perfectly.

Thanks for the tip and proud to join your team.
I'm not a theologian and people much smarter than me in that area guide the church doctrine, hopefully with some divine inspiration.  As such, I try follow those edicts, but do not follow them all.  I support the Death Penalty, for example.  Most other issues I follow the church.

I suspect because I haven't been as true to the teachings as I should, that I will not get that E-Ticket.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
With 42 votes .. Catholic / Non-Practicing Cath .. 55%  

The surprise/no surprise is that the #2 spot goes to Atheist/Agnostic, at 17%

I'd also be curious about godless 17% .. I'll bet 90+% of their parents practiced some faith.

You should include 'some sort of supreme being' in there as that also falls under the 'unaffiliated' group. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Cafeteria Catholic is the term that has been around for many years.  People pick and choose what they want to follow, how outraged they are about other stuff and all hoping for the E-Ticket to the pearly gates in the end.
And here you have the crux of all religions, all protestant denominations.    The protestant reformation came out of people picking and choosing what they wanted to follow.   Today's megachurches, the same.    Do they want to follow the "gospel of prosperity", do they want to follow Pat Robertson,  do they want to follow a guy predicting the end of the world on 5/21/11, do they want to follow Jeremiah Wright, or Rob Bell, do they want to be Anglican, which is 90% Catholic?     The Catholic Church ended up listening to a lot of what Luther had to say.    In the end, even those who follow 100% of Catholic doctrine are rolling the dice and hoping they chose the right horse on which to snag the E-ticket.    We could all be wrong and Islam could have it right.   We won't know until we die.  It is a matter of faith and hope.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:39:26 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback