'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why JJJ has to play 25+ minutes per game  (Read 133229 times)

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Re: Why JJJ has to play 25+ minutes per game
« Reply #300 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »
Not arbitrary.  Don't cha know that Wojo hands them all a card before the game with the minutes they will play written on it.  That way they all know how hard/well to play.

Its interesting that Ners has just chosen to ignore my previous post on his first half performances in games he does/doesn't earn 25 minutes.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
Its interesting that Ners has just chosen to ignore my previous post on his first half performances in games he does/doesn't earn 25 minutes.
So, you admit that you made the post to get a reaction out of Ners. Bordering on narcissism or diva status? Just asking, not accusing.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »

Dude, just unnatural carnal knowledgeing give it up.  Burton is gone.  What he was, used to be, or could have been is irrelevant.  He also wasn't "behind" Derrick.  Who else do you want Wojo to give some of Derrick's minutes to, the walk-ons?

I-dunked-in-high-school-Rob-Lowe (tip of the cap to Tower) is still banging on about how the PG was taking minutes from the PF?  Tells you all you need to know. 

Ignore is your friend.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #303 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
Not arbitrary.  Don't cha know that Wojo hands them all a card before the game with the minutes they will play written on it.  That way they all know how hard/well to play.

It's actually at the beginning of the season that Wojo hands them the card. That's why Burton was so disappointed that he transferred-- he had been promised a certain number of minutes no matter what his results were and Wojo didn't live up to the agreement.

See that's what happens when you keep playing basketball after high school like Wojo and the staff did -- you get dumber.  High school players--varsity dunkers specifically-- represent the peak of basketball wisdom.  After that it's all down hill.  (Don't get me started about wrestlers!)
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #304 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
So, you admit that you made the post to get a reaction out of Ners. Bordering on narcissism or diva status? Just asking, not accusing.

1) WarriorInNYC simply posted some facts, and found it interesting that Ners managed to ignore them.  He didn't admit to anything.
2) Even if he was trying to "get a reaction out of Ners", not sure how that's narcissism or being a diva.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
LOL.  Learning the "Wojo way?"  What's that?  When Wojo's hands are tied and he is down to 7 players and pretty much has no choice but to play JJJ - JJJ responds and gives Wojo what he's always given him from the start of the season?  Uh.  Okay

Ners, did you listen to Wojo after the game or read his comments?  I know that I and a few others have posted about them.  Wojo said JjJ had his best week of practice leading up to the last game.  His playing more was necessitated by having only 7 players but also because he stepped it up in practice.  Why don't you give JjJ some credit, that he actually isn't a poofta and instead took the benching like a man and did what was being asked of him?  For someone supposedly in his corner, you don't think JjJ is very tough.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
Ners, did you listen to Wojo after the game or read his comments?  I know that I and a few others have posted about them.  Wojo said JjJ had his best week of practice leading up to the last game.  His playing more was necessitated by having only 7 players but also because he stepped it up in practice.  Why don't you give JjJ some credit, that he actually isn't a poofta and instead took the benching like a man and did what was being asked of him?  For someone supposedly in his corner, you don't think JjJ is very tough.

JJJ being tough and responding positively to some tough coaching isn't in the blender.

Wojo being biased and a poor coach IS currently in the blender.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
It's actually at the beginning of the season that Wojo hands them the card. That's why Burton was so disappointed that he transferred-- he had been promised a certain number of minutes no matter what his results were and Wojo didn't live up to the agreement.

See that's what happens when you keep playing basketball after high school like Wojo and the staff did -- you get dumber.  High school players--varsity dunkers specifically-- represent the peak of basketball wisdom.  After that it's all down hill.  (Don't get me started about wrestlers!)
We snatch the basketball players girlfriend's.   

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
I-dunked-in-high-school-Rob-Lowe (tip of the cap to Tower) is still banging on about how the PG was taking minutes from the PF?  Tells you all you need to know. 

Ignore is your friend.

LOL - The fact you can't see that Derrick was playing virtually a forward position on defense, while being paired with 2 other PGs on the offensive end, really speaks to all you know about the game of basketball.  You don't need 3 PGs on the floor.  Carlino and Duane are/were plenty capable of bringing the ball up as needed.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »

Yes I heard Wojo's comments.  Also know Wojo has to cover his ass a little, as it could be very much called into question just WTF Wojo was thinking by limiting JJJ's minutes so much the last 6 games - which were all losses.  And as I've posted 100 times that the usual suspects are too dense to realize - JJJ performed right on cue with his season averages in the 6 games (all prior to the benching) of 25+ minutes per game.

If you really believe the benching led to JJJ playing as he did against Seton Hall (when there were 6 other games prior to the benching that suggest the exact same output in the way of production), go ahead and knock yourself out. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
Ners is in full ignorance mode again.  His "JJJ is just performing as well as usual" line has been thoroughly debunked, yet he continued to trot it out like it never happened.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=46345.msg697005#msg697005

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=46345.msg697011#msg697011

He has the whole "cause/effect" thing screwed up again, and has been so thoroughly pantsed on this one that he doesn't even realize he's walking with his underwear down by his ankles.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »
We snatch the basketball players girlfriend's.    

Yeah, but those 'girlfriends' would actually have to be male to be attractive for a wrestler.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
Ners is in full ignorance mode again.  His "JJJ is just performing as well as usual" line has been thoroughly debunked, yet he continued to trot it out like it never happened.

He has the whole "cause/effect" thing screwed up again, and has been so thoroughly pantsed on this one that he doesn't even realize he's walking with his underwear down by his ankles.

I believe you mean, "effect/cause."

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2015, 02:33:40 PM »
Yeah, but those 'girlfriends' would actually have to be male to be attractive for a wrestler.
says the pretty boy hoops player who had his girlfriend taken.....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
says the pretty boy hoops player who had his girlfriend taken.....

Nah, while we had two UFC fighters in my high school, that's a weeeeeird bunch of dudes.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »

Speaking of the "cause/effect" thing, Sultan, Ner's posts sure cause responses from you (and some others) who pledged not to respond. Now that, is some real "cause/effect". But it does add some entertainment effect, and for that we thank you.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
Yes I heard Wojo's comments.  Also know Wojo has to cover his ass a little, as it could be very much called into question just WTF Wojo was thinking by limiting JJJ's minutes so much the last 6 games - which were all losses.  And as I've posted 100 times that the usual suspects are too dense to realize - JJJ performed right on cue with his season averages in the 6 games (all prior to the benching) of 25+ minutes per game.

If you really believe the benching led to JJJ playing as he did against Seton Hall (when there were 6 other games prior to the benching that suggest the exact same output in the way of production), go ahead and knock yourself out. 

Here is Wojo's exact quote after the game:

Wojo: JJ has had his best practice…his best attitude of the entire yr was over the last week. This was building. His performance today was not just a function of getting up today in Newark and deciding to play. It was a function of great preparation.

If you really believe that Wojo was just covering his ass,I think you need to see someone about the paranoia disorder you seem to have.  The facts are 1.  Wojo didn't play JjJ in the Xavier game; 2. Immediately afterwards, Wojo says it's because JjJ's performance in practice that week "wasn't good enough;"  3.  After the Xavier game, Carlino says he expects JjJ to step up in the future; 4.  After the win against the Hall, Wojo makes the coments about JjJ having the best practice and best attitude of the year.

Facts, shmacts, who needs them right Ners? Especially when you can create your own storyline. 

I'm still amazed that, for someone who talks up JjJ constantly, you think he's just a giant hairy wet cat who's should run crying from the team instead of manning up and showing he's got some pride. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:45 PM »

Wojo: JJ has had his best practice…his best attitude of the entire yr was over the last week. This was building. His performance today was not just a function of getting up today in Newark and deciding to play. It was a function of great preparation.

If you really believe that Wojo was just covering his ass,I think you need to see someone about the paranoia disorder you seem to have.  The facts are 1.  Wojo didn't play JjJ in the Xavier game; 2. Immediately afterwards, Wojo says it's because JjJ's performance in practice that week "wasn't good enough;"  3.  After the Xavier game, Carlino says he expects JjJ to step up in the future; 4.  After the win against the Hall, Wojo makes the coments about JjJ having the best practice and best attitude of the year.

Facts, shmacts, who needs them right Ners? Especially when you can create your own storyline. 

I'm still amazed that, for someone who talks up JjJ constantly, you think he's just a giant hairy wet cat who's should run crying from the team instead of manning up and showing he's got some pride. 

Totally agree.  To think that Wojo is so demented, and dumb, that he'd say one thing to the team or individual player and say the opposite to the media to "cover his ass" is really bizarre.  If he took that approach he'd not only turn the team against him but also recruits.  So if you believe that he does this you believe:

- the administration was completely duped.
- Coach K kept him on for 15 years, had him as his halftime media spokesman, and promoted him to associate coach despite this fatal flaw in his ability to relate to players.
- the team is playing as hard as they are despite not trusting their coach that undermines them.
- signed recruits don't talk to each other, current players, or anyone that has played for Wojo previously

and if you believe the above you believe the program truly has no hope - ignorant administration, recruits bailing on their commitments, mass transfers (don't argue Burton on this unless you really believe the above 4 points), and no high profile coaches would be consider the Marquette job.  On all the above you'd be wrong.

P.S.  my favorite Wojo determining who gets the least playing minutes scenario is that every time he is near the player he is going to "throw under the bus" he quietly sings 'The wheels on the bus go round and round' so only that player can hear him.  This goes on for days/weeks until the player starts playing better or leaves.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:56 PM »

So JJJ must have had some great attitude and practices leading up to the 6 other games prior to his benching where he played 25+ minutes to perform just as he did against Seton Hall, right?

Look, I'm sure Wojo wants the glory and spotlight for JJJ's nice performance Saturday.  As if the "message" he sent by benching JJJ against Xavier somehow served a miraculous purpose and was the catalyst for Saturday's performance against Seton Hall.  Essentially Wojo is trying to say that due to his attitude and practice leading up to Seton Hall - this moment was building.  I'd go along with that premise, if of course there weren't 6 other games prior to his benching that didn't bear out he'll put up similar numbers to the Seton Hall performance if he gets ample time of 25+.

A critical fan might wonder why Wojo was limiting JJJ's playing time SO much during our 6 game losing streak, considering his overall production when given good minutes on the season prior to the benching.  Limiting JJJ as much as he has since early January has been just one of several poor coaching/personnel decisions Wojo has made this year.  But, he's a rookie, and he'll hopefully get better.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Totally agree.  To think that Wojo is so demented, and dumb, that he'd say one thing to the team or individual player and say the opposite to the media to "cover his ass" is really bizarre.  If he took that approach he'd not only turn the team against him but also recruits.  So if you believe that he does this you believe:

- the administration was completely duped.
- Coach K kept him on for 15 years, had him as his halftime media spokesman, and promoted him to associate coach despite this fatal flaw in his ability to relate to players.
- the team is playing as hard as they are despite not trusting their coach that undermines them.
- signed recruits don't talk to each other, current players, or anyone that has played for Wojo previously

and if you believe the above you believe the program truly has no hope - ignorant administration, recruits bailing on their commitments, mass transfers (don't argue Burton on this unless you really believe the above 4 points), and no high profile coaches would be consider the Marquette job.  On all the above you'd be wrong.

P.S.  my favorite Wojo determining who gets the least playing minutes scenario is that every time he is near the player he is going to "throw under the bus" he quietly sings 'The wheels on the bus go round and round' so only that player can hear him.  This goes on for days/weeks until the player starts playing better or leaves.

Ners bought what family members and those connected with the players were saying about Wojo hook, line and sinker.  He has to double-down on this now otherwise he'd have to admit he probably was listening to the wrong people.  Really it's to the point that he is completely ignoring facts presented repeatedly in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:58:17 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
Look, I'm sure Wojo wants the glory and spotlight for JJJ's nice performance Saturday.  As if the "message" he sent by benching JJJ against Xavier somehow served a miraculous purpose and was the catalyst for Saturday's performance against Seton Hall.  Essentially Wojo is trying to say that due to his attitude and practice leading up to Seton Hall - this moment was building.  I'd go along with that premise, if of course there weren't 6 other games prior to his benching that didn't bear out he'll put up similar numbers to the Seton Hall performance if he gets ample time of 25+.

Yes, Wojo pulled this stunt just to get glory and spotlight for JjJ's performance.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo-YVqV0v4Q

A critical fan might wonder why Wojo was limiting JJJ's playing time SO much during our 6 game losing streak, considering his overall production when given good minutes on the season prior to the benching.  Limiting JJJ as much as he has since early January has been just one of several poor coaching/personnel decisions Wojo has made this year.  But, he's a rookie, and he'll hopefully get better.

So his playing time being limited during those 6 games had nothing to do with him performing poorly within the first halves at all, as I and others have pointed out?  And the games where he has gotten more minutes has nothing to do with him playing well in the first half, as I pointed out in my post?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13:57 PM »
Ners, we've been over this before. JjJ had 7, not 6, games of 25+ minutes before the benching. Of those 7, 5 were against sub 100 teams, 4 were against sub 150 teams, 2 were against sub 250 teams. The two games against the top 100? His two worst of the seven. Are you really going to sit here and champion a player who feasts on cupcakes and disappears against the tougher competition?

The kid is improving. Villanova had been his best game in a while and Seton Hall was has best outside of Arizona State. That is the first time in his career that has put two strong performances against top 100 competition back to back in his entire career. The kid struggles with consistancy. Let's just be happy that he seems to be on his way to finding some.

Your comments on Wojo are pure fantasy. What about Wojo has struck as the kind of coach who steals the spotlight from his players? In fact, how was his comments stealing the spotlight at all? Wojo was crediting JjJ for putting in the hard work in practice and having it pay off come game day.

Covering his ass? That argument only works when a coach is unwilling to admit when he's made a mistake. But after the Depaul game, Wojo said, word for word, "I made a mistake not playing Sandy." Funny, that he doesn't say the same about JjJ after the Xavier game. Is it possible that Wojo is willing to admit one mistake, but not the other? Sure. But once again, the much simpler solution, the one that doesn't require a conspiracy theory, the one the evidence points to, is that Wojo felt the benching was warranted and still feels the benching was warranted today.

Can't we all just be happy that JjJ played well? We won! Hopefully he'll continue to play well, and we'll continue to win.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:27:11 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
So JJJ must have had some great attitude and practices leading up to the 6 other games prior to his benching where he played 25+ minutes to perform just as he did against Seton Hall, right?

I agree with your analysis on JJJ and Perspective on Wojo. He is the one making the rookie mistakes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »

Ners bought what family members and those connected with the players were saying about Wojo hook, line and sinker.  He has to double-down on this now otherwise he'd have to admit he probably was listening to the wrong people.  Really it's to the point that he is completely ignoring facts presented repeatedly in this thread.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »

unfortunately i've been lurking long enough to understand the angle they (adding TW and probably WojosMojo) are taking towards the program.  i profess to being under the influence of just having enough of the idiotic logic to simultaneously  try to position the detractors into actually stating an arguement that isn't based on ignoring facts/rational perspective and putting the kids to bed.  i probably just opened myself up to some nuance of my phrasing that their narrative can pick apart or the post will be ignored.

i do appreciate the response as a confirmation of my sanity.  AND i rocked at getting the kids fed, bathed and tucked in.....lots of similarities between their logic and what i read here.