'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving on to the 19-20 Season  (Read 55557 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
With Sam leaving, there is not a lot of chance of MU moving up in offensive efficiency.  I can see the reverse actually (better on D, worse on O). Overall, mid 30s is about right.
Moving up from where MU was the last couple of years offensively is tough.   Projected to 14.   Would like to see the defense a little better than 60th.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2019, 03:41:54 PM »
Moving up from where MU was the last couple of years offensively is tough.   Projected to 14.   Would like to see the defense a little better than 60th.

Honestly, flip those and I'd believe it. I think this is a top-20 defense, but definitely questionable where the offense will be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2019, 04:10:03 PM »
What Sam would have provided is a given.  Sam was consistent and would have provided about 17/7. Joey was not a given for next year. Maybe Joey would have taken a big step, but maybe not. He was certainly more error prone as a freshman than Sam was, and had a tendency to disappear for long stretches.
It’s possible that Brendan and Ed provide more on both ends next year than Joey did this year.  It’s also possible that the addition of Kobe adds points and cuts down on turnovers and that Kobe, Greg, and a continuing improved Sacar make up most of Sam’s lost points. The question to me is where will Sam’s rebounds be made up?  Maybe improved D and less TOs combine to offset the rebounds. Maybe somebody breaks out more than expected. Maybe team chemistry is the difference maker.
That’s a lot of maybes, but I’m saying there’s a chance and that gives me reason to look forward to the next season.  I do have a pretty good feeling that the guys on the current roster are going to work hard to prove they don’t need those other two.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:18:28 PM by Shooter Flatch »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »
I think we may actually be better than we would of been vs. I do not think we will be as good as we could of been. The difference between these two is team chemistry. Give me two happy Hausers and I believe we would of been extremely good next year. Give me two unhappy Hausers and I am not sure what happens. We did not lose happy Hausers.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »
ND sucks

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2019, 06:01:26 PM »
With Sam leaving, there is not a lot of chance of MU moving up in offensive efficiency.  I can see the reverse actually (better on D, worse on O). Overall, mid 30s is about right.

I’d think so, too, but it is interesting that’s the current projection. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »
Symir is coming.  The sky remains aloft.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »
Please let me know if I am incorrect about this: I thought that if the Hausers stayed, there were at least 2 other players who were going to leave. If so, it is incorrect to assume we would have the team return intact if they stayed. Others who left would have left us weaker, likely on defense. I don't think it is fair to assume the team would have stayed together if they left. You have to compare the composition of the team if the Hausers stayed (some other vital players gone) v. the composition of the team now with the Hausers leaving. Depending on who the departing players were going to be, the gap may not be as great as muguru and others are suggesting.

As noted above, I could be all wrong about this but I just assumed that SOME players were leaving this offseason all along. It just happened to be the Hausers. I'm sure there will be some others leave next year. It's the nature of the game these days.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2019, 08:50:37 PM »
That was one of a dozen different rumors floating around.    Who knows how much validity it had?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
Please let me know if I am incorrect about this: I thought that if the Hausers stayed, there were at least 2 other players who were going to leave. If so, it is incorrect to assume we would have the team return intact if they stayed. Others who left would have left us weaker, likely on defense. I don't think it is fair to assume the team would have stayed together if they left. You have to compare the composition of the team if the Hausers stayed (some other vital players gone) v. the composition of the team now with the Hausers leaving. Depending on who the departing players were going to be, the gap may not be as great as muguru and others are suggesting.

As noted above, I could be all wrong about this but I just assumed that SOME players were leaving this offseason all along. It just happened to be the Hausers. I'm sure there will be some others leave next year. It's the nature of the game these days.

The thing is though, outside of Markus leaving, anyone else that left wouldn't have been as big of a blow(at least offensively, mostly Sam) as the Hausers leaving did. Those players would have been replaceable, as we can see, the Hauser's weren't.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Everybody is replaceable.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2019, 10:14:48 PM »
Everybody is replaceable.

Sure they are, it happens in the business world all the time, but..how good is the replacement?? Are they better then what you had, the same, or worse?? If they are worse, how many other people in the organization have to pick up the slack and, maybe the biggest question is, are they capable of picking up the slack enough to see no drop off from the person(s) that left your organization to the point where there is no noticeable drop off in production or your business model??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »
Sure they are, it happens in the business world all the time, but..how good is the replacement?? Are they better then what you had, the same, or worse?? If they are worse, how many other people in the organization have to pick up the slack and, maybe the biggest question is, are they capable of picking up the slack enough to see no drop off from the person(s) that left your organization to the point where there is no noticeable drop off in production or your business model??

Irrelevant.

Moving on.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2019, 10:49:19 PM »
Irrelevant.

Moving on.

If you were CEO of a business Brew and two of your most valued people, two that were integral into moving your model forward, suddenly up and left and your business wasn't as good as it was because the replacements weren't as good..and YOU started losing big $$ and then ultimately your job because of it..would that be irrelevant as well?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
If you were CEO of a business Brew and two of your most valued people, two that were integral into moving your model forward, suddenly up and left and your business wasn't as good as it was because the replacements weren't as good..and YOU started losing big $$ and then ultimately your job because of it..would that be irrelevant as well?

Not to speak for brew, but ...

The loss of those 2 employees is irrelevant after they have left. It is incumbent upon the CEO to put forth the best group of employees at all times. The CEO has to move on. The title of this discussion is "Moving on ... " Continuing to lament the loss of two employees, no matter how valuable, is a good way for the CEO to run his company into bankruptcy.

Moving on is all the CEO can do, it's all the basketball coach can do, and it's what fans should do. Especially when writing in a thread titled, "Moving on ... "
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:36:58 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »
Please let me know if I am incorrect about this: I thought that if the Hausers stayed, there were at least 2 other players who were going to leave.

Somebody (Chico?) claimed that's what he "heard". Zero evidence given to support the rumor.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2019, 01:27:31 AM »

You're assuming the business is going to start making less money than it was. What if the business makes more money than it was but maybe not as much as they would have if the two people stayed? I think most would commend the CEO for regrouping and still growing the business despite such a big setback.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2019, 05:12:32 AM »

That's okay...you got it  ;)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2019, 06:17:23 AM »

The loss of those 2 employees is irrelevant after they have left. It is incumbent upon the CEO to put forth the best group of employees at all times. The CEO has to move on. The title of this discussion is "Moving on ... " Continuing to lament the loss of two employees, no matter how valuable, is a good way for the CEO to run his company into bankruptcy.

Moving on is all the CEO can do, it's all the basketball coach can do, and it's what fans should do. Especially when writing in a thread titled, "Moving on ... "

And I am MOVING on, not sure how trying to figure out what NEXT years team will look like in replacing what left, ISN'T moving on?? But I digress. I wonder if Next year after Sacar, Markus and Ed are gone, and someone talks about, or asks "I wonder how so and so will replace Markus's scoring, or Ed's rebounding, or Sacar's defense" or talking about those players and what they brought etc etc, will get told to "move on" and get accused of NOT looking forward to how you replace them.

I guess if any post were to mention them, they should ultimately be accused of "not moving on", or at least I'd hope that was the narrative, since I'm getting accused of it. Having concerns about the offense NEXT year(as I have stated), isn't moving on??

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2019, 06:38:24 AM »
And I am MOVING on, not sure how trying to figure out what NEXT years team will look like in replacing what left, ISN'T moving on?? But I digress. I wonder if Next year after Sacar, Markus and Ed are gone, and someone talks about, or asks "I wonder how so and so will replace Markus's scoring, or Ed's rebounding, or Sacar's defense" or talking about those players and what they brought etc etc, will get told to "move on" and get accused of NOT looking forward to how you replace them.

I guess if any post were to mention them, they should ultimately be accused of "not moving on", or at least I'd hope that was the narrative, since I'm getting accused of it. Having concerns about the offense NEXT year(as I have stated), isn't moving on??

Don't take it so personally, guru. As previously stated, you and I have similar concerns about the offense. I simply have moved on past the Hausers (in this context) because they don't have a single thing to do with next year's team.

There are about 50 threads about the Hausers, including a couple that are still very much active. There is one about "Moving on."

Wojo doesn't have to replace the Hausers. He has to put the best team on the floor that he can.

And yes, next year he will not have to replace Markus, per se -- at least not for the purposes of our inevitable "moving on" thread -- he will have to put the best team on the floor that he can.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2019, 06:39:24 AM »
Having concerns about the offense NEXT year(as I have stated), isn't moving on??

So we'll be different. Instead of 4-out, we'll often have two bigs on the floor. Instead of bombing from three, we'll be driving & scoring inside. We'll work to draw fouls and get to the line. We'll aim to create turnovers and score in transition.

Moving on is looking at how the team will adjust, not just whining for what was lost. It sucks that the Hausers are gone. It means next year will be harder. But it's not going to change.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2019, 07:16:36 AM »
Somebody (Chico?) claimed that's what he "heard". Zero evidence given to support the rumor.

FWIW, I got that info as well.  The truth is, it’s all conjecture
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2019, 07:35:21 AM »
So we'll be different. Instead of 4-out, we'll often have two bigs on the floor. Instead of bombing from three, we'll be driving & scoring inside. We'll work to draw fouls and get to the line. We'll aim to create turnovers and score in transition.

Moving on is looking at how the team will adjust, not just whining for what was lost. It sucks that the Hausers are gone. It means next year will be harder. But it's not going to change.

How do we know this for certain though?? We don't 100% know that Wojo will revamp everything to fit his personnel. He hasn't had to for basically 3 years. Is he capable/and willing to do so?? You hope so/think so, but we do have evidence of him doing things over and over and over again even when it's not working. He has a hard time making in game adjustments, I'm skeptical as to whether or not he will change as dramatically as he'll need to for next year's team, and if he does, will he chose the proper way to do it?? And if after awhile that isn't working, will he then again, be astute enough to see it, and alter again??

tower912

• All American
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
I guess we'll find out.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2019, 07:56:53 AM »

Some of the same people who knew in advance Hausers were leaving also said if they stay, others are going. 

Believe what you wish, you still think Buzz is the Virgin Mary so I cannot help you.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback