[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65822 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
Lol you're a peach.

Thanks. I am thrilled to have Morrow. But I think facts matter and I wanted to share his rankings so scoopers don't perpetuate a myth about Morrow being a borderline top 50 Hs player.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »
I find this highly unlikely as he was ranked around 50 in his class out of high school and almost averaged a double double last season.

He was ranked outside the top 100 by most services. He averaged almost a double double but it was for a very meh Nebraska team. He is an elite rebounder, but a poor offensive and defensive player. Inefficient on offense and very inefficient on defense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
Conversely, why do people jump to <wrong> conclusions when posters are being cryptic?

My initial response was pure bait, and I knew it would get taken... just like yours did.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
Thanks. I am thrilled to have Morrow. But I think facts matter and I wanted to share his rankings so scoopers don't perpetuate a myth about Morrow being a borderline top 50 Hs player.

Here are the RSCI rankings (or others if over 100) of MU's currently signed players:

Top 100: Bailey (62), Howard (71 but I think JayBee said he was Top 25 before he graded up), Morrow (85), Cheatham (87), S. Hauser (94), Cain (95), Heldt (96).
Others (247): Froling (132), Anim (193), John (201), Elliott (218), Eke (344)
NR: Rowsey (2 star on ESPN, 22nd in his state)

Joey is a Top 50 rated player for in every RSCI service (17-41).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:33:52 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »
Eight* out of the last 10 NCAA champions had Chicago players. Bo made his run with Chicago players (Frank and Brust). Al's championship teams were made with Chicago (and NYC) talent. Crean's run was driven by Chicago talent. So, when you say it is not a "need" or "necessity", I simply do not agree, whether back in the day or today. And this excuse (not yours but one I keep hearing) about the CPS swamp for not recruiting Chicago is just that, an excuse. Glad to have Morrow.

*Sherron Collins, Frasor, Scheyer, Anthony Davis, Blackshear, Boatright, Parker/Okafor, Brunson.

Calling Lisle and Arlington Heights "Chicago" is pretty laughable... These are kids from the burbs.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
Sorry..but you're wrong on this one TAMU..maybe you look at it from a "fit" perspective..and if you're in the "MU needs another PG" camp..then you dont see the need with Morrow. The ONLY two grad transfers i thought were clearly better than Morrow are Egor and Cam Johnson. Thats it. I'd have to look at the trad transfer list again to make a judgment on that one..but no one seems to understand how good Morrow is.

He'd have been the second leading rebounder in the BE last year. If no one wants that..they're crazy.

No one said that they didn't want Morrow. We are all very excited about Morrow. He is an elite rebounder. But that's the only thing he's elite in. The advanced numbers on his offense are meh and the advanced numbers on his defense are poor. Do not take that as me saying Morrow is a bad player. But I'm trying to give all the facts so we don't jump the scoop like we always do and tear Morrow apart when he's not an all world player right away.

You underestimate the rest of the transfer pool as well. Like I said it was a good transfer class this year. Here are a few that I had ranked above Morrow. And it was by overall ability not fit with Marquette.
Cam Johnson
Egor Koulochov
Al Freeman
Elijah Brown
Mark Alstork
Darius Thompson
Dedric Lawson
Tevin Mack
Devon Daniels
Charlie Moore
Mike Lewis II
Noah Dickerson
KJ Lawson
Mikey Dixon
Marcus Evans

Here are few that were ranked around the same:
James Daniel III
Henry Caruso
Geno Thorpe
Nisre Zouzoua
Michael Weathers
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
Here are the RSCI rankings (or others if over 100) of MU's currently signed players:

Top 100: Bailey (62), Morrow (85), Cheatham (87), S. Hauser (94), Cain (95), Heldt (96).
Others (247): Froling (132), Anim (193), John (201), Elliott (218), Eke (344)
NR: Rowsey (2 star on ESPN, 22nd in his state)

Joey is a Top 50 rated player for in every RSCI service (17-41).

Now obviously, we all know rankings are not the be all end all, but if MU could push the "others" category to all top 150's(or higher)..THEN I think MU is in business.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
Calling Lisle and Arlington Heights "Chicago" is pretty laughable... These are kids from the burbs.

I'll switch Dwyane's, Jerel's and Todd's addresses to RFD.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
Eight* out of the last 10 NCAA champions had Chicago players. Bo made his run with Chicago players (Frank and Brust). Al's championship teams were made with Chicago (and NYC) talent. Crean's run was driven by Chicago talent. So, when you say it is not a "need" or "necessity", I simply do not agree, whether back in the day or today. And this excuse (not yours but one I keep hearing) about the CPS swamp for not recruiting Chicago is just that, an excuse. Glad to have Morrow.

*Sherron Collins, Frasor, Scheyer, Anthony Davis, Blackshear, Boatright, Parker/Okafor, Brunson.

Parker was not on the title team. He was a year earlier on the team that lost to a 14 seed.

But like you said, Chicagoland has a lot of talent. If we get players from there, great. But I don't care where players are from. Markus Howard is great no matter where he's from. Same with a kid like Henry Ellenson or Joey Hauser. If we can land a better player elsewhere, do it.

Plus, the upper upper echelon of Chicago talent is in high demand. Looking at the list you provided, lots of players went to blue bloods...Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, Duke...those are the schools MU has to beat out for guys like Davis and Okafor. Very stiff competition.

I feel MU can compete for the next tier of talent with the Louisville, UConn, Nova types. Not easy but doable.  So Chicagoland should be one of our recruiting grounds, as should Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and national recruits too.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »

At this point what do the rankings matter.  He's here and we have him.

To Quote that Mid 20th century Philosopher, Doris Day "Que Sera-Sera"
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
No one said that they didn't want Morrow. We are all very excited about Morrow. He is an elite rebounder. But that's the only thing he's elite in. The advanced numbers on his offense are meh and the advanced numbers on his defense are poor. Do not take that as me saying Morrow is a bad player. But I'm trying to give all the facts so we don't jump the scoop like we always do and tear Morrow apart when he's not an all world player right away.

You underestimate the rest of the transfer pool as well. Like I said it was a good transfer class this year. Here are a few that I had ranked above Morrow. And it was by overall ability not fit with Marquette.
Cam Johnson
Egor Koulochov
Al Freeman
Elijah Brown
Mark Alstork
Darius Thompson
Dedric Lawson
Tevin Mack
Devon Daniels
Charlie Moore
Mike Lewis II
Noah Dickerson
KJ Lawson
Mikey Dixon
Marcus Evans

Here are few that were ranked around the same:
James Daniel III
Henry Caruso
Geno Thorpe
Nisre Zouzoua
Michael Weathers

Whileheartedly disagree with this list
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

One thing I've learned in traveling is that people in the greater Chicago and Milwaukee areas simply say they're from the cities.  When someone says Chicago, I say "Chicago Chicago or suburb Chicago".  Same goes for Milwaukee

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
Whileheartedly disagree with this list

Please tell me who you disagree with and I'll be happy to explain why I put them there.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
He was ranked outside the top 100 by most services. He averaged almost a double double but it was for a very meh Nebraska team. He is an elite rebounder, but a poor offensive and defensive player. Inefficient on offense and very inefficient on defense.

The big questions is what can he be for MU? In EYBL play, he had a tremendous eFG% of 67.7%, an ORtg of 126.8 and this was on a 19% usage. OR% was very good at 12%.. DR% bleh at 15%. Turnover rate just 13%.

As a freshman, things looked similar directionally, other than turnover rate. 105 ORtg on 17% usage, turnover rate jumped to an awful 27%, but he shot 63.4% eFG%.(never takes 3-pointers)

Sophomore year, things were rough.. had to do a lot more..23% usage.. and shot only 51.4% eFG%. ORtg falls to 100... big ten ORtg: FR 114; SO 95.. how much due to injury? How much due to increased usage? But the rebounding #'s improved.. 14.3% OR% (top 30).. 20.6% DR%, including 18.5% in B1G.. suggesting he might be around top 10 in BEast.. but not a lot of minutes.

Could see his profile looking a lot more efficient on offense as a RS Jr. Maybe 110 ORtg, 20-ish % usage. eFG% jumps back up, turnovers cut down just a bit.. rebounding similar... would be lovely.

Block rates in EYBL and in college have been around 5%. His FC/
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
The big questions is what can he be for MU? In EYBL play, he had a tremendous eFG% of 67.7%, an ORtg of 126.8 and this was on a 19% usage. OR% was very good at 12%.. DR% bleh at 15%. Turnover rate just 13%.

As a freshman, things looked similar directionally, other than turnover rate. 105 ORtg on 17% usage, turnover rate jumped to an awful 27%, but he shot 63.4% eFG%.(never takes 3-pointers)

Sophomore year, things were rough.. had to do a lot more..23% usage.. and shot only 51.4% eFG%. ORtg falls to 100... big ten ORtg: FR 114; SO 95.. how much due to injury? How much due to increased usage? But the rebounding #'s improved.. 14.3% OR% (top 30).. 20.6% DR%, including 18.5% in B1G.. suggesting he might be around top 10 in BEast.. but not a lot of minutes.

Could see his profile looking a lot more efficient on offense as a RS Jr. Maybe 110 ORtg, 20-ish % usage. eFG% jumps back up, turnovers cut down just a bit.. rebounding similar... would be lovely.

Good thoughts,  Jay Bee. All to be seen, but the team he'll be on once eligible should allow him to be a complimentary player and outside shooting should give him more room to operate. Year off hopefully helps.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
Absolutely talent wins out...you don't not take Morrow because of worries about roster issues. He isn't some end of the bench guy..probably at least in my opinion one of the top 5 available players this offseason.

Congrats, guru. That was a nice, positive post that wasn't filled with angst about athletes Wojo couldn't get.

Maybe there's hope for you yet!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Congrats, guru. That was a nice, positive post that wasn't filled with angst about athletes Wojo couldn't get.

Maybe there's hope for you yet!

What he meant was that Morrow is not some end of bench guy like Luke Fischer

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »

So JB, tell me what that means.  Does that put him in the 'come off the bench, grab some rebounds, all in 15 minutes of work' range?  So in other words, Joey doesn't even blink when a player like this signs?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »
I do not think Morrow comes here, if he does not think he is going to start. That means he expects to be better than the players that are already here. Of course I would of said the same thing about Reinhardt and he ended up being a key player off the bench.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
Morrow may not start, but he clearly will play.  There isn't someone with his skillset on this team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
I do not think Morrow comes here, if he does not think he is going to start. That means he expects to be better than the players that are already here. Of course I would of said the same thing about Reinhardt and he ended up being a key player off the bench.

Huh?   :o

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #221 on: May 07, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »

Little early for bongs. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #222 on: May 07, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
Punctuation means something, hey?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
Punctuation means something, hey?

Punctuation! no, matta?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »