[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is it tough to win on the road?? Really??  (Read 5840 times)

muguru

• All American
Is it tough to win on the road?? Really??
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
I hear/see fans proclaim this all the time, that it's tough to win on the road. There's nothing that gets my ire up more than that. Why?? Basketball is basketball...the game is the same no matter where you play it. You pass, dribble and shoot whether that's in Milwaukee at the Bradley Center or at the Pavilion in Philadelphia. I have heard many athletes thru the years actually say they'd almost prefer to play on the road, because you have fewer distractions. So to test this theory, I'm going to compare the road records of teams currently ahead of MU in the RPI(using Warren Nolan). For purposes of this study, I'm throwing out "mid majors" like Gonzaga, New Mexico, etc because I think we'd all agree they aren't playing the competition on the road, like a team from one of the 6 major conferences are.

Duke-4-3
Miami-10-2
Kansas-6-2
Florida-7-4
Indiana-6-1
Michigan State-6-3
Louisville-6-3
Michigan-4-4
Arizona-7-2
Syracuse-5-3
Georgetown-6-2
Minnesota-3-6
MU-3-6

One can clearly see, there's a significant difference between the road records of teams ahead of MU in the RPI(with the exception of Minnesota), and MU's road record. Okay someone is going to pipe up and say "not a fair comparison, those are the elite of the elite", which thereby makes my point...if MU ever wants to become elite, and become one of them, they need to be better on the road. But, to pacify that crowd...I will expand the road records even further. Let's take the next ten teams AFTER MU in the RPI and once again throwing out mid majors(Butler, etc), and see how they have done on the road, shall we??

Oklahoma-5-5
Kansas State-6-2
North Carolina-4-6
Ohio State-3-5
Wisconsin-4-5
NC State-2-6
Uconn-4-3
Oklahoma State-4-4
Colorado-4-6
Illinois-5-3

Can anyone see the disparity here?? I studied 23 teams for this exercise and of those that I studied, only ONE team(NC State) has a worse winning % on the road than does MU, and one other, Minnesota has the same winning %. 12 of the 23, are above .500 on the road, while 3 are at exactly .500. And if I were to include Gonzaga, Butler, SD State, New Mexico etc, the disparity would be even greater.

In conclusion, it's fair to say EVERY team in the country will lose a road game or two, that's a given, but to say "it's hard to win on the road" I do not and never will believe is an accurate statement. MU makes it hard for THEM to win on the road, but for other teams in the country, it doesn't seem to be that big of a hindrance.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:01:44 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Marqevans

• All American
Re: Is it tough to win on the road?? Really??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
Have you ever seen Gardner miss 2 free throws as badly as he did yesterday at home?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
Yes. Especially if you are unprepared to face the press, are not focused on the job at hand, and are looking ahead to Syracuse. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
Appreciate the research.

On the premise that vegas knows what they are doing....why do home teams get such a strong bias.  Consider how strong MU is at home.  Several teams have come to our court favored, and went home with their tail between their legs.  

The MU home record doesn't completely refute your point.  However, it does need to be added to the conversation on analyzing MU as a whole.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:42:56 AM »
Perhaps the conclusion that you should draw is that Marquette isn't as good as you think they are, but they have a significant home court advantage that boosts their RPI.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:44:19 AM »
Perhaps you should just abandon all hope and stare endlessly into the abyss.  
Actually, guru, I have to give you your props.   I think you are intentionally staking out extreme positions to help everyone else keep the loss in perspective and work through their frustrations.    Thanks for jumping on that grenade for the rest of us.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:49:48 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
Perhaps you should just abandon all hope and stare endlessly into the abyss. 

That too.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
Our next two (and final) road games are Rutgers and St. John's.  we should finish 5-6.

Other teams like Miami (who just lost badly at Wake Forest) still have at Duke and duke still has at UNC.  Cuse is still at GU and so on.

My point is repeat this study when the regular season ends March 10 and I'll bet we don't look as bad.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:53:08 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:01:42 AM »
I don't think it's all that difficult to win on the road this season. Far too much mediocrity around the country allows it to be a more attainable achievement. Listening to a gambling podcast last week they mentioned that points received from home court advantage have declined the last four years consecutively.

The difference is play. Evidence is in and it shows MU simply doesn't pack it's game well. People got pissy Tuesday when I pointed out it was laughable to think MU could win title when they play this badly on the road. For a team that bounces back remarkably well from a loss it's stupefying how poor they perform away from their cozy confines.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
Appreciate the research.

On the premise that vegas knows what they are doing....why do home teams get such a strong bias.  Consider how strong MU is at home.  Several teams have come to our court favored, and went home with their tail between their legs.  

The MU home record doesn't completely refute your point.  However, it does need to be added to the conversation on analyzing MU as a whole.

Your point is a valid one, however it only further strengthens my point...Let's say MU wins the UWGB, Cincy and Nova games on the road(all games I think we can logically conclude they should have won), all of a sudden, they are 6-3 on the road instead of 3-6. How high would MU be ranked then?? What would their RPI be?? What kind of NCAA seed would they be looking at?? They'd be essentially on cruise control to win the BE title. There's a fine line....but one that if MU for whatever reason didn't go brain dead on the road, and do things that they don't do at home, could have them looking even a whole lot better.

I mean the courts are the same length, the rims the same height(channeling Hoosiers here), the teams presses are applied the same, it really doesn't make any sense why MU should look DRASTICALLY different at home as opposed to on the road. Ok, crowd noise...that's about it, but that shouldn't make you throw a bad pass, or take a bad shot, or turn the ball over at an alarming rate, or go 6+ minutes without scoring. If as Buzz has often said "we are who we are", shouldn't you be "who you are" no matter where you play(with the understanding that almost every team is going to have a game or two where they just don't have it)??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
Perhaps the conclusion that you should draw is that Marquette isn't as good as you think they are, but they have a significant home court advantage that boosts their RPI.

I don't know. The NCAA tournament is going to be sooo wide open. Sometimes I really wonder if people on here actually watch any college hoops besides most MU games and the very end of great matchups.

There just are not many good teams. There may be 5 or 6 very good teams, but then there about 25 teams that are right there, and another 15 or so that are not too far off. Marquette may not be as good as we were last year, but they are definitely one of the top 20 teams in the country.  16-1 in non-away games. Last I checked there are no true road games in the tournament.

The squad has its flaws, but it is right there. There are only a handful of teams that MU would have little chance to beat on a neutral court.  I find it highly unlikely we will see that team in the first weekend with a seed in the 4-7 range. MU is nowhere near as pretty to watch this year as years past, but truth is, they're in 2nd place in the 2nd best conference in the country and belong.  Time for everyone to accept it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
Your point is a valid one, however it only further strengthens my point...Let's say MU wins the UWGB, Cincy and Nova games on the road(all games I think we can logically conclude they should have won), all of a sudden, they are 6-3 on the road instead of 3-6. How high would MU be ranked then?? What would their RPI be?? What kind of NCAA seed would they be looking at?? They'd be essentially on cruise control to win the BE title. There's a fine line....but one that if MU for whatever reason didn't go brain dead on the road, and do things that they don't do at home, could have them looking even a whole lot better.

I mean the courts are the same length, the rims the same height(channeling Hoosiers here), the teams presses are applied the same, it really doesn't make any sense why MU should look DRASTICALLY different at home as opposed to on the road. Ok, crowd noise...that's about it, but that shouldn't make you throw a bad pass, or take a bad shot, or turn the ball over at an alarming rate, or go 6+ minutes without scoring. If as Buzz has often said "we are who we are", shouldn't you be "who you are" no matter where you play(with the understanding that almost every team is going to have a game or two where they just don't have it)??

Why *should* they have won against UWGB, Cincy or Nova?

But anyways, my impressions about home court advantage is that it gives more positives to the home team than negatives to the road team.  Home crowds give positive energy to their team.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
You might want to compare home and road records, if your hypothesis is
that winning road games isn't any more or less difficult than home games.

All of these teams have SIGNIFICANTLY better win
%ages with their home schedules.  If winning on the road was so easy, or
any different, like you claim, their home records would not be as great, right?

If winning on the road is so easy, why are these teams' home records so
gaudy?  Only 1 team with more than 2 losses, and 4 undefeated teams.

Also, what are the RPIs, SOSs of the road games that these teams
have played, relative to the home games?  I'll bet that the road games
feature much more difficult opponents than the cupcake-palooza this list
played at home earlier in the season.

I think debunking or bunking the "playing on the road is tough" axiom is
going to take a bit more analysis than just showing us the top 30ish RPI
teams road records.

road             home
---------------------------------
Duke-4-3               19-0
Miami-10-2            12-4
Kansas-6-2            17-2
Florida-7-4             15-0
Indiana-6-1            18-2
Michigan State-6-3  14-1   
Louisville-6-3         13-1
Michigan-4-4          14-0
Arizona-7-2           13-2
Syracuse-5-3         16-1
Georgetown-6-2     14-1
Minnesota-3-6        13-2
MU-3-6           14-0

Oklahoma-5-5        10-2
Kansas State-6-2    14-1
North Carolina-4-6  13-1
Ohio State-3-5       14-2
Wisconsin-4-5        14-2
NC State-2-6         14-1
Uconn-4-3             12-2
Oklahoma State-4-4 13-2 
Colorado-4-6         11-2
Illinois-5-3            12-4

club cheezes VIP lounge

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
from the "notes" section in yesterday's yahoo recap

"Since the 2008-09 season when Buzz Williams took over, Marquette has posted a 21-21 record in Big East road games. Only Syracuse (30-13), Louisville (24-19) and Pittsburgh (23-20) have better road marks during that time span."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/villanova-60-marquette-56-014120757--ncaab.html

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »

"Since the 2008-09 season when Buzz Williams took over, Marquette has posted a 21-21 record in Big East road games. Only Syracuse (30-13), Louisville (24-19) and Pittsburgh (23-20) have better road marks during that time span."

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Case closed.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »
That's right. They have to bus to O'Hare and wait at the carousel for their luggage and sleep in a No Tell Motel eatin' Swanson TV dinners.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »

Again, now is not the time for facts!

It's time for misplaced, irrational, foaming at the mouth rage,
doom monkey screeching and feces throwing, and hopeless
dispair, because we lost a basketball game. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »

+1,000,000,000,000
(The typical Dylan Flood line)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
Indiana has the best road record in the country?  I thought strange since they can't win away from home. 

And yes, it is definitely harder to win away from home.  MU has done a good job on the road the last decade or so.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Case closed.

+1,000,000,000,000
(The typical Dylan Flood line)

The original post compared Marquette's road record to this year's other high/RPI potential NCAA teams.  In other words, teams similar to us.

Someone attempted to refute it by posting a 5-year comparision among Big East teams--changing both the timeframe (one year vs five) and the nature of the teams being comparable (bringing in BE bottom feeders--teams nothing at all like us)

Honestly, does a better five-year road record than DePaul, Rutgers, USF, St. Johns, Providence, Seton Hall change anything about muguru's original point about MU compared to this year's highly rated teams?

The two aren't even REMOTELY comparable.   Yet you cheer him on?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:37:35 AM »

Interesting....Syracuse is 17 games over .500 on the road in that span, while Louisville is 5 over, and Pittsburgh 3....Now which three teams since Buzz has been there have TYPICALLY finished at the top of the conference standings(most specifically UL and Syracuse), coincidence? I think not. When those teams have had a chance to take something(ie a BE title) and have played a late season road game that could get them there, more often than not, I'll bet they have gotten the job done. This only proves my case further.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:53:10 AM by muguru »

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
Honestly, does a better five-year road record than DePaul, Rutgers, USF, St. Johns, Providence, Seton Hall change anything about muguru's original point about MU compared to this year's highly rated teams?

That wasn't his original point.  His original point was that it really isn't that hard to win on the road, used one year's worth of evidence to back it up, and concluded that MU is a poor road team because of it.  All club cheezes did is expand the year's in question to refute his conclusion.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

Great stats.

The fact is we have a few good road wins too.

At the end of the day, it is our body of work that counts.

When we win our first two games in the dance, we will be sweet 16 again.  All the other BS that we all moan and B about during the season will be trivial, and forgotten about.  Instead, we will complain about not making the elite 8....and Aaron Durley. 
[/color]

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
All but one of our road losses this year have come to tournament teams, assuming nova and cincy are in, which it seems like they are.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »
The original post compared Marquette's road record to this year's other high/RPI potential NCAA teams.  In other words, teams similar to us.

Someone attempted to refute it by posting a 5-year comparision among Big East teams--changing both the timeframe (one year vs five) and the nature of the teams being comparable (bringing in BE bottom feeders--teams nothing at all like us)

The two aren't even REMOTELY comparable.   Yet you cheer him on?

So, a partial season analysis is more valuable than that of five full seasons when considering the difficulty (or lack thereof) of winning on the road? What exactly is the value in looking at just one partial season? Are you and guru suggesting that winning on the road magically became easier in 2012-13?

MU also owns a better five-year road record than UConn, WVU, Georgetown, Villanova and Notre Dame, but you oddly saw fit to leave those teams out of the discussion. Can't imagine why you'd do that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
All but one of our road losses this year have come to tournament teams, assuming nova and cincy are in, which it seems like they are.

I'm not so sure about Cincy. We'll know more about them today. To me they are walking in dangerous territory right now. They are currently 7-7 in conference and starting today they finish with...@ND, UCONN, @UL, and S. Florida. I could easily see them losing 3 of those. If they do...no way are they getting in with a 8-10 BE record. I'm not so sure they'll get in @ 9-9(a split in their remaining 4). They may need to win 3 of the last 4 to be guaranteed a spot. Today is monumental for Cincy IMO. Their RPI is 50 right now, and their SOS is 34. Once again, Cincy built a "reputation" on what they did in the non conference. They are only 3-6 vs the Top 50, and 12-0 against teams 101+. Their Non conference SOS according to Pomeroy is 312.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

That wasn't his original point.  His original point was that it really isn't that hard to win on the road, used one year's worth of evidence to back it up, and concluded that MU is a poor road team because of it.  All club cheezes did is expand the year's in question to refute his conclusion.

I read it as this year's team, but even if we assume you're right, cheezes post made just an egregious error.

His refuting stat should have been to compare other top-rated RPI teams over five years--not all Big East teams over five years.

I don't know where MU's road record this year would fall compared to all other top RPI teams using 5 years of data--but I do know its not valid to include the Big East bottom feeders in the comparision.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »
I don't know where MU's road record this year would fall compared to all other top RPI teams using 5 years of data--but I do know its not valid to include the Big East bottom feeders in the comparision.

MU has been far from a "top RPI team" over each of the past five years, though.
2013 (to date) - 17th
2012 - 9th
2011 - 50th
2010 - 55th
2009 - 30th
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:40:10 AM by Pakuni »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
Things I can conclude after reading this thread:

1) muguru has never ever played basketball at any level beyond grade school.  If he had he would know better.

2) MU must not be one of the top 5 or 10 teams in the land as we don't win on the road as often as those teams do. 

3) I think everyone on this board knows that MU is not one of the top 5-10 teams in the land so I am not sure why muguru finds #2 surprising.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »
Things I can conclude after reading this thread:

1) muguru has never ever played basketball at any level beyond grade school.  If he had he would know better.

2) MU must not be one of the top 5 or 10 teams in the land as we don't win on the road as often as those teams do. 

3) I think everyone on this board knows that MU is not one of the top 5-10 teams in the land so I am not sure why muguru finds #2 surprising.

1. Played ball all through HS thanks.
2. They are not, but isn't the goal to become one of them consistently??
3. I don't find it surprising, but it's not surprising MU is not among the elite because of it. Again, isn't the goal to become "Elite". Or to at least win a conference Championship once in awhile?? They will likely have several of them in the B7, but that ain't the same as winning the BE reg season title.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
I hear/see fans proclaim this all the time, that it's tough to win on the road. There's nothing that gets my ire up more than that. Why?? Basketball is basketball...the game is the same no matter where you play it. You pass, dribble and shoot whether that's in Milwaukee at the Bradley Center or at the Pavilion in Philadelphia.

Wall Street Journal says you're wrong:

"The road winning percentage in major men's college basketball is .340 -- meaning the road team wins roughly one out of every three games.

Somewhere on Earth there may be a sport in which this figure is lower. But it isn't the NBA, NHL, American or Australian football, English or Argentine soccer, Major League Baseball, Japanese baseball, Dominican winter baseball, or any of two dozen other sports leagues.

There is nothing tougher in team sports than what 42 schools in NCAA's Division I will try, mostly in vain, to do tonight: Put a dozen skinny kids into an opponent's gym and beat them at basketball."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123612655303924107.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »

The two aren't even REMOTELY comparable.   Yet you cheer him on?

Seriously?   You are being critical of someone else changing the parameters of an argument?    Are you being ironic?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »

MU has been far from a "top RPI team" over each of the past five years, though.
2013 (to date) - 17th
2012 - 9th
2011 - 50th
2010 - 55th
2009 - 30th

So using your five years of data, despite having our 2nd best RPI in the past five years, we have our worst road record over that stretch.

Thats on top of the data that muguru provided that shows that of the top 24 RPI teams this year, our road record is 2nd worst. 

But let's include some more data.  Lets compare to the road-record of every top 30 RPI Big East over the last five years:

Team      RPI Rank      Record      W/P   
   2009 UConn      5       10-1      0.909   
   2010 WVU       4       9-1      0.9   
   2010 Syracuse       6       9-1      0.9   
   2012 Syracuse       2       9-1      0.9   
   2009 UL       7        8-1      0.889   
   2011 Pitt       12       7-2      0.778   
   2009 Villanova       8       9-3      0.75   
   2009 Pitt       2       7-3      0.7   
   2011 Syracuse      20       7-3      0.7   
   2010 Villanova       16       7-4      0.636   
   2011 Georgetown       15       8-5      0.615   
   2009 WVU       22       7-5      0.583   
   2010 Pitt       18       5-4      0.555   
   2009 Marquette      30       6-5      0.545   
   2009 Syracuse       12       6-5      0.545   
   2010 Georgetown       14       6-5      0.545   
   2012 MU       9       6-5      0.545   
   2012 UL       10       6-5      0.545   
   2012 Georgetown       12       6-5      0.545   
   2011 ND       10       5-5      0.5   
   2011 WVU       21       5-6      0.454   
   2013 Marquette (+2 more road wins)      17      5-6   0.454   
   2011 UL       17       4-6      0.4   
   2011 St. Johns       28       5-8      0.384   
   2011 UConn       6       4-7      0.363   
   2013 Marquette (+1 more road win)      17      4-7      0.363   
   2013 Marquette      17      3-6      0.333   

So not only are is our record currently worst of any top-30 BE team, it can't get better than #22 of 25 if we win 2 more games, and this year will still be tied for worst if we win only one of our two remaining road games.

muguru was right--we are having a poor road record this year, and the "everyone struggles on the road" excuse doesn't explain it. 

I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.  But he certainly seems to be right.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
You might want to compare home and road records, if your hypothesis is
that winning road games isn't any more or less difficult than home games.

All of these teams have SIGNIFICANTLY better win
%ages with their home schedules.  If winning on the road was so easy, or
any different, like you claim, their home records would not be as great, right?

If winning on the road is so easy, why are these teams' home records so
gaudy?  Only 1 team with more than 2 losses, and 4 undefeated teams.

Also, what are the RPIs, SOSs of the road games that these teams
have played, relative to the home games?  I'll bet that the road games
feature much more difficult opponents than the cupcake-palooza this list
played at home earlier in the season.

I think debunking or bunking the "playing on the road is tough" axiom is
going to take a bit more analysis than just showing us the top 30ish RPI
teams road records.

This +100. The biggest competitive problem in college basketball is the utterly ridiculous disparity between home and road games. It's a problem, and it's out of control. How can a solid but unspectacular basketball program like Wisconsin for instance be only around .500 (or less) on the road but nearly unbeatable at home?

Something is wrong. We love to rave and congratulate programs for their "home court advantage" but there's something sick about KU winning 63 straight games at home. SIXTY freaking THREE! Bill Self is literally 159-8 at home. Not even double digit losses in nearly a decade!

It's getting stupid, and the more people want to ignore the terrible inconsistencies from the refs the longer we will have this problem. The disparity between how a game is called depending on where its being played is an issue that should be looked at very seriously.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:16:24 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
muguru was right--we are having a poor road record this year, and the "everyone struggles on the road" excuse doesn't explain it. 

I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.  But he certainly seems to be right.

And in shocking news, Equalizer changes the parameters of the debate (again).
Had muguru simply wrote "MU is having a poor road record this year," as you claim he does, the only criticism he'd get is for his butchering of the English language.
But that's not at all what he wrote. You're shifting the argument because you know what he initially wrote is incorrect.
Instead, he wrote nearly 500 words attempting to disprove the conventional wisdom that winning on the road is difficult. In fact, his concluding paragraph states "but to say 'it's hard to win on the road' I do not and never will believe is an accurate statement."

Of course, as the WSJ story linked above shows, it is a completely accurate statement. It's accurate for every major sport, and it's especially accurate for college basketball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
Had muguru simply wrote "MU is having a poor road record this year," as you claim he does, the only criticism he'd get is for his butchering of the English language.
But that's not at all what he wrote. You're shifting the argument because you know what he initially wrote is incorrect.
Instead, he wrote nearly 500 words attempting to disprove the conventional wisdom that winning on the road is difficult. In fact, his concluding paragraph states "but to say 'it's hard to win on the road' I do not and never will believe is an accurate statement."

Of course, as the WSJ story linked above shows, it is a completely accurate statement. It's accurate for every major sport, and it's especially accurate for college basketball.

As my argument proved however, is it isn't terribly difficult for the "elite" teams to win on the road, or even some not so elite. But yet, it's been extremely difficult for MU to win on the road this year. I have watched a lot of college hoops this year(and every year), and I can honestly say that I have seen no other team that plays so completely different on the road as they do at home, as does MU. Yes, every team has difficulties on the road at times, but, for lack of a better term, no team I have seen this year looks as clueless on the road as MU does. It's hard to explain. If they were just a bad basketball team, then they should do the same things at home(at least at times) as they do on the road, but they don't. It's like two completely different teams. It's baffling. It's a mental toughness thing. AS Junior said in the JS article "we were thinking too much".

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

You and I both read the same 500 words.  *I* think he's talking about just the top-rated teams.  *YOU* think he's talking about all 345 D1 teams.

You're right--he didn't explicity state he was comparing our road record to just the top-ranked teams.
He also didn't say he was comparing to all 345 D1 teams. 

Absent a clear statement one way or the other, I used the context of the post to conclude he was comparing us to highly ranked teams. 

I'd LOOOOVE to know what clues you devined from his post that makes you so certain that he's talking about road wins for all 345 D1 teams in general. 

For my part, I'll share why I think the way I do: 
--He specifically limited his comparision to the 10 teams ahead and 10 teams behind us in the RPI
--He stated that he specifically excluded mid-majors, and explained why.
--He stated that if someone claim that if someone pointed out that this only this included "elite" teams, he said it "makes my point".
--He commented that "if MU ever wants to become elite, and become one of them, they need to be better on the road."

So that's why I think he's talking about a comparsion about top rated teams.

So how about it--can you explain why (absent anything in his post that says so) you assumed he's talking about all 345 D1 teams?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
You and I both read the same 500 words.  *I* think he's talking about just the top-rated teams.  *YOU* think he's talking about all 345 D1 teams.

You're right--he didn't explicity state he was comparing our road record to just the top-ranked teams.
He also didn't say he was comparing to all 345 D1 teams. 

Absent a clear statement one way or the other, I used the context of the post to conclude he was comparing us to highly ranked teams. 

I'd LOOOOVE to know what clues you devined from his post that makes you so certain that he's talking about road wins for all 345 D1 teams in general. 

For my part, I'll share why I think the way I do: 
--He specifically limited his comparision to the 10 teams ahead and 10 teams behind us in the RPI
--He stated that he specifically excluded mid-majors, and explained why.
--He stated that if someone claim that if someone pointed out that this only this included "elite" teams, he said it "makes my point".
--He commented that "if MU ever wants to become elite, and become one of them, they need to be better on the road."

So that's why I think he's talking about a comparsion about top rated teams.

So how about it--can you explain why (absent anything in his post that says so) you assumed he's talking about all 345 D1 teams?

Really?

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
I am still trying to figure out what the point of the original post is. Guru, even if you somehow prove that it is really easy to win on the road, what difference does it make? We are still 3-6 on the road. Guru, you don't offer any sort of solution, you just keep beating the same dead horses that are "we aren't elite" (no kidding, no one thinks we are), "we need better players" (any team who has ever lost a game in team sports could make this claim, so again who cares), and now "we're bad on the road" (it's a reality this season, you can't change it).

I would love to hear some rational and realistic insight as to how you think we could reach your goals of being elite, getting better players, and being good on the road. Until you do that, all you seem to be doing is having a tantrum. And it's awkward for everyone involved.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »

Who gives a s*** whether he was talking about the RPI top 30
teams, or all 350 D1 teams?!  Or, for that matter, whether we use
a year of data, or 5 years?  Either data set, the road records
are significantly worse than the home records.  You can't cherry
pick the top 30 teams, from this year (to date) and use that to "prove"
some broad sweeping statement.   

And, as Pak posted in that WSJ article, it's not just college basketball,
IT IS EVERY SPORT PLAYED ON THE EARTH, where home > road. 

Trust me, I LOOOOVE taking dumps all over "conventional wisdom",
mostly, because conventional wisdom is a euphemism for "cliched
horses***".  But the argument that winning on the road is just as
easy as winning at home is a valid one. 

Also, I reiterate, I'd love to see the comparison of MU's quality of road
opponents, vs. Duke's, or MSU's, or IU's, or Gonzaga's, or everyone elses.
Not everyone's road opponents are equal. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
Really?

Yes, really. 

What specficially did you read in the post that gave you the impression that this was a general comment about all road games for all D1 teams in general.

I told you why I thought it was about MU compared to other top teams.  I'd appreciate if you reciprocated, given you're using it as a basis to attack me.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »
Who gives a s*** whether he was talking about the RPI top 30
teams, or all 350 D1 teams?!  Or, for that matter, whether we use
a year of data, or 5 years?  Either data set, the road records
are significantly worse than the home records.  You can't cherry
pick the top 30 teams, from this year (to date) and use that to "prove"
some broad sweeping statement.   

And, as Pak posted in that WSJ article, it's not just college basketball,
IT IS EVERY SPORT PLAYED ON THE EARTH, where home > road. 

Trust me, I LOOOOVE taking dumps all over "conventional wisdom",
mostly, because conventional wisdom is a euphemism for "cliched
horses***".  But the argument that winning on the road is just as
easy as winning at home is a valid one. 

Let me simplify the orginal post for you:

Other good teams:
Road Record < Home Record

MU:
Road Record <<< Home Record.

You can't explain the difference between < and <<< by saying "everyone is worse on the road." 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
Yes, really. 

What specficially did you read in the post that gave you the impression that this was a general comment about all road games for all D1 teams in general.

I told you why I thought it was about MU compared to other top teams.  I'd appreciate if you reciprocated, given you're using it as a basis to attack me.

I've engaged in a lot of stupid debates on this board. A lot.
But even I won't sink to your level of pedantic nonsense here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Indiana was AWFUL on the road last year. Much improved this year. Some teams/players just play much better at home. Am I okay with MU playing poorly on the road? No. But is there really a reason to harp on the point this much? Can't we just accept that's the identity of the team this season? And to further state/imply that MU doesn't want to be an elite program is absolutely asinine.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
Indiana was AWFUL on the road last year. Much improved this year. Some teams/players just play much better at home. Am I okay with MU playing poorly on the road? No. But is there really a reason to harp on the point this much? Can't we just accept that's the identity of the team this season? And to further state/imply that MU doesn't want to be an elite program is absolutely asinine.

I'm not saying they don't strive to be, I'm sure they do, but as my study shows, truly elite teams win on the road, and they beat other good teams on the road. They don't just beat Seton Hall, Rutgers, Providence etc. I mean when you really think about it, when is the last time MU has ever had a "shock the world" type road win??  Like TCU vs Kansas, or Wake vs. Miami?? I don't recall any. From most of what i remember is that MU beats bad teams on the road, and when they play a decent team or a good team, they will usually lose. That's not what Elite programs do. They will lose some road games, but they will also have BIG road wins as well. When is the last time MU beat a Syracuse, or a Louisville for example, on the road?? Heck, go back to last year, they had Georgetown down by 17 points @ Georgetown and went on to lose. Those things just don't happen to "normal teams" on the road. Or what about the @ UL game, where they blew a what 8 point lead in the last minute or so?? WTF is MU's problem with winning on the road?? It HAS to be mental toughness. There is no other explanation.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
Your "study"? This is comical now.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
I'm not saying they don't strive to be, I'm sure they do, but as my study shows, truly elite teams win on the road, and they beat other good teams on the road. They don't just beat Seton Hall, Rutgers, Providence etc. I mean when you really think about it, when is the last time MU has ever had a "shock the world" type road win??  Like TCU vs Kansas, or Wake vs. Miami?? I don't recall any. From most of what i remember is that MU beats bad teams on the road, and when they play a decent team or a good team, they will usually lose. That's not what Elite programs do. They will lose some road games, but they will also have BIG road wins as well. When is the last time MU beat a Syracuse, or a Louisville for example, on the road?? Heck, go back to last year, they had Georgetown down by 17 points @ Georgetown and went on to lose. Those things just don't happen to "normal teams" on the road. Or what about the @ UL game, where they blew a what 8 point lead in the last minute or so?? WTF is MU's problem with winning on the road?? It HAS to be mental toughness. There is no other explanation.

Last year:  @Wisconsin
Year before: @UConn
Year before that: @UConn

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »
I'm not saying they don't strive to be, I'm sure they do, but as my study shows, truly elite teams win on the road, and they beat other good teams on the road. They don't just beat Seton Hall, Rutgers, Providence etc. I mean when you really think about it, when is the last time MU has ever had a "shock the world" type road win??  Like TCU vs Kansas, or Wake vs. Miami?? I don't recall any. From most of what i remember is that MU beats bad teams on the road, and when they play a decent team or a good team, they will usually lose. That's not what Elite programs do. They will lose some road games, but they will also have BIG road wins as well. When is the last time MU beat a Syracuse, or a Louisville for example, on the road?? Heck, go back to last year, they had Georgetown down by 17 points @ Georgetown and went on to lose. Those things just don't happen to "normal teams" on the road. Or what about the @ UL game, where they blew a what 8 point lead in the last minute or so?? WTF is MU's problem with winning on the road?? It HAS to be mental toughness. There is no other explanation.

MSU (as pointed out by PTM in another thread) has racked up conference road wins against RPI 90, 200, 24, 129 and 97 this year. No "shock the world" wins there. I'd also argue that "shock the world" wins come when 2 teams are so far apart in talent/rankings. TCU/Kansas and Wake/Miami are not the same as MU playing Louisville or Syracuse or Georgetown. Beating any of those 3 would not be "shock the world" wins because we're much more comparable programs.

Which top 10/"elite" team has had a "shock the world" win this season?

Also, how do you feel about neutral court? I'd say beating Cuse in the NCAA tourney was pretty "shock the world"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:36:38 PM by jesmu84 »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »

Last year:  @Wisconsin
Year before: @UConn
Year before that: @UConn

Not "shock the world" type road wins IMO, all wins I actually expected them to get. Specifically @ Madison last year.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »
Not "shock the world" type road wins IMO, all wins I actually expected them to get. Specifically @ Madison last year.

You are setting a standard that is impossible for them to meet then.  Because for them to be "shock the world" type wins in your eyes, MU has to be pretty bad.  (As your examples show...)  And when they have a quality road win, you simply say "I expected them to win."

I guess if a win against the eventual national champion isn't good enough, then I simply don't know what is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:40:42 PM by TinyTim »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
Guru, does point differential matter at all?  So if MU was 3-6 and won their 3 games by 25 points each, but lost the 6 by 1 point; is that better or worse than a team that is 6-3 and wins each game by 1 point and loses the 3 by 25 each?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
I've engaged in a lot of stupid debates on this board. A lot.
But even I won't sink to your level of pedantic nonsense here.

My level?  You're the one posting the pedantic nonsense. I simply figured (successfully, as it turns out) that I could expose you by asking you to justify your view. I knew you had no possible justification--especially in light of the four reasons I provided.

Lets face it--if you could find four comments from the original post that show that the context of the article was about every D1 team's road record, you would have simply done so.  

You are setting a standard that is impossible for them to meet then.  Because for them to be "shock the world" type wins in your eyes, MU has to be pretty bad.  (As your examples show...)  And when they have a quality road win, you simply say "I expected them to win."

I guess if a win against the eventual national champion isn't good enough, then I simply don't know what is.

The issue comes clear when you compare us to other teams in the league:

Georgtown is 14-1 at home (.933), and 5-2 on the road (.556)
Syracuse is 16-1 at home (.941) and 6-3 on the road (.667)
Louisville is 13-1 at home (.928) and 6-3 on the road (.667)
ND is 15-2 at home (.882) and 4-3 on the road (.571)

MU is 14-0 at home (1.000) at home and 3-6 (.333) on the road.

I think the obsevation is in the lost opportunity--we've been better at home, but because of our poor road record (vis a vis comparable teams) we're not viewed as being at the same level as Georgetown, Louisville or Syracuse.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:57:34 PM by The Equalizer »

club cheezes VIP lounge

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »

RPI top 30 road games vs RPI top 15 (2012-13)

Duke - 1 (lost to Miami)
Miami - 0
New Mexico - 2 (lost to UNLV, beat Colorado St)
Florida - 1 (loss to Arizona)
Kansas - 0
Indiana - 1 (beat Michigan St)
Michigan St - 2 (loss to Miami, loss to Indiana)
Louisville - 1 (loss to Georgetown)
Michigan - 2 (loss to Indiana, loss to Michigan St)
Gonzaga - 0
Arizona - 0
Syracuse - 1 (beat Louisville)
Georgetown -1 (beat Syracuse)
UNLV - 2 (lost to New Mexico, loss to Colorado St)
Colorado St - 2 (loss to New Mexico, loss to UNLV)
Minnesota - 2 (loss to Indiana, loss to Michigan St)
Marquette - 3 (loss to Florida, loss to Louisville, loss to Georgetown)
Memphis -  0
Oklahoma - 1 (loss to Kansas)
Kansas State - 1 (loss to Kansas)
North Carolina - 3 (loss to Duke, loss to Miami, loss to Indiana)
Belmont - 1 (loss to Kansas)
Ohio St - 3 (loss to Duke, loss to Michigan St, loss to Michigan)
Wisconsin - 2 (loss to Florida, beat Indiana)
North Carolina St - 2 (loss to Duke, loss to Michigan)
Connecticut - 0
Oklahoma St - 1 (beat Kansas)
Middle Tennessee - 0
Colorado - 2 (loss to Kansas, loss to Arizona)
Wichita St - 0

and #33 Illinois (because they were included in the original post) - 2 (lost to Michigan St, beat Gonzaga)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:44:10 PM by club cheezes VIP lounge »

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
The issue comes clear when you compare us to other teams in the league:

Georgtown is 14-1 at home (.933), and 5-2 on the road (.556)
Syracuse is 16-1 at home (.941) and 6-3 on the road (.667)
Louisville is 13-1 at home (.928) and 6-3 on the road (.667)
ND is 15-2 at home (.882) and 4-3 on the road (.571)

MU is 14-0 at home (1.000) at home and 3-6 (.333) on the road.

I think the obsevation is in the lost opportunity--we've been better at home, but because of our poor road record (vis a vis comparable teams) we're not viewed as being at the same level as Georgetown, Louisville or Syracuse.

Do you shift the goalposts everytime you post?  muguru specifically said that MU doesn't seem to have "shock the world" road victories.  Then you show the above which doesn't address his "point" at all.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
RPI top 30 road games vs RPI top 15 (2012-13)

Duke - 1 (lost to Miami)
Miami - 0
New Mexico - 2 (lost to UNLV, beat Colorado St)
Florida - 1 (loss to Arizona)
Kansas - 0
Indiana - 1 (beat Michigan St)
Michigan St - 2 (loss to Miami, loss to Indiana)
Louisville - 1 (loss to Georgetown)
Michigan - 2 (loss to Indiana, loss to Michigan St)
Gonzaga - 0
Arizona - 0
Syracuse - 1 (beat Louisville)
Georgetown -1 (beat Syracuse)
UNLV - 2 (lost to New Mexico, loss to Colorado St)
Colorado St - 2 (loss to New Mexico, loss to UNLV)
Minnesota - 2 (loss to Indiana, loss to Michigan St)
Marquette - 3 (loss to Florida, loss to Louisville, loss to Georgetown)
Memphis -  0
Oklahoma - 1 (loss to Kansas)
Kansas State - 1 (loss to Kansas)
North Carolina - 3 (loss to Duke, loss to Miami, loss to Indiana)
Belmont - 1 (loss to Kansas)
Ohio St - 3 (loss to Duke, loss to Michigan St, loss to Michigan)
Wisconsin - 2 (loss to Florida, beat Indiana)
North Carolina St - 2 (loss to Duke, loss to Michigan)
Connecticut - 0
Oklahoma St - 1 (beat Kansas)
Middle Tennessee - 0
Colorado - 2 (loss to Kansas, loss to Arizona)
Wichita St - 0

and #33 Illinois (because they were included in the original post) - 2 (lost to Michigan St, beat Gonzaga)

Awesome work.  That's a whole lot of losses, for teams who totally should
win on the road, since there is no empirical difference between road
games and home games, even among the ELITES
, you know, because the
baskets are the same height, or some BS.  

Although I'm sure there's room on the Twister pad for folks to
contort this absurd argument some more.  Like Johnny from The Wire,
people be equivocatin' like a motherf***er.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:39:35 PM by lab_warrior »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »

Georgtown is 14-1 at home (.933) > 5-2 on the road (.556)
Syracuse is 16-1 at home (.941) > 6-3 on the road (.667)
Louisville is 13-1 at home (.928) > 6-3 on the road (.667)
ND is 15-2 at home (.882) >on the road (.571)

MU is 14-0 at home (1.000) > (.333) on the road.

Playing on the road is not equal to playing at home.

Although we should probably scour through these games
for teams records in "shock the world" games, whatever
that subjective garbage means. 

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 01:24:18 AM »
Our next two (and final) road games are Rutgers and St. John's.  we should finish 5-6.

Other teams like Miami (who just lost badly at Wake Forest) still have at Duke and duke still has at UNC.  Cuse is still at GU and so on.

My point is repeat this study when the regular season ends March 10 and I'll bet we don't look as bad.

This.  Was just going to post the same point.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »

I don't think we beat St. John's, they are on par with Villanova, and the only decent to good team we have beat on the road was Pittsburgh (which we needed a poor performance by them and an overtime to do).  We haven't even easily taken care of many of our opponents at home (it's been a struggle, but a successful one).

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
Playing on the road is not equal to playing at home.

Although we should probably scour through these games
for teams records in "shock the world" games, whatever
that subjective garbage means. 

The stats were intended to show that we are better at home than Syracuse, Lousville, Georgetown, Pitt, and ND.

While On the road, Syracuse & Louisvllle have won 2/3 of their road games.
Pitt, ND and Georgetown have won at least 50%.   
We've only won 1/3.

The question is how the same team that is better at home than SU, UL, GU, Pitt and ND at their respective homes, be so much worse on the road than SU, UL, GU, Pitt and ND on the road.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.  I'm not asking why MU on the road isn't as good as MU at home.  I'm asking why MU on the road is so much worse than similar teams on the road.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
The stats were intended to show that we are better at home than Syracuse, Lousville, Georgetown, Pitt, and ND.

While On the road, Syracuse & Louisvllle have won 2/3 of their road games.
Pitt, ND and Georgetown have won at least 50%.   
We've only won 1/3.

The question is how the same team that is better at home than SU, UL, GU, Pitt and ND at their respective homes, be so much worse on the road than SU, UL, GU, Pitt and ND on the road.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.  I'm not asking why MU on the road isn't as good as MU at home.  I'm asking why MU on the road is so much worse than similar teams on the road.

I think you are getting into a semantics fight.

I think everybody would agree that MU's current team is not a great road team.

However, this thread started with the statement:

In conclusion, it's fair to say EVERY team in the country will lose a road game or two, that's a given, but to say "it's hard to win on the road" I do not and never will believe is an accurate statement.

And from there, it was off to the races.

CONCLUSION: It is hard to win on the road, AND MU is not a very good road team this season.

Boom. Roasted.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
Home court is supposed to be worth about 3 1/2 points, so the average team should do 7 points better at home than on the road.

In our mirror games, we did significantly better against both South Florida & Seton Hall on the road, we beat Georgetown by 1 at home and lost by 8 on the road (a 9 point difference which is about right) and beat Pitt by 10 at home and 7 (in OT) on the road, again a difference about what you'd expect.  I get the feeling due to the matchups and style of play that there isn't a court on Earth on which would have beaten either Louisville or Florida, and the other three conference road losses are certainly understandable and within the expected outcome range for us.  

So our road woes boil down to the wretched loss to UWGB, which is of course inexcusable.  But I'm not thinking we are a particularly bad road team because of one bad game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:39:23 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
ESPN just showed that Syracuse is 1-4 in its last 5 Big East road games.  What the hell is going on with them?  It's not that hard to win on the road!  Marquette is 2-3 and they're a dreadful road team. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »
Cuz Boeheim can't coach and needs better players and they need a new point guard and good teams win on the road and blahbityblahbityblahbity

feedback