Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz and the Illini  (Read 18388 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Buzz and the Illini
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »
John Groce baby!!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »

You are assuming that the basketball program falls apart if he leaves.  If they hire someone else who carries on what Buzz is doing, no ones heads will roll.

That is one huge fat IF.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »

You are assuming that the basketball program falls apart if he leaves.  If they hire someone else who carries on what Buzz is doing, no ones heads will roll.

I have to tell you that you are wrong on that count. If any of this is true and the Admin is mishandling the situation, then the Warrior fiasco will seem small by comparison. Alums will go ballistic. You don't let one of the hottest coaches in the game walk out the door and expect all will be well. No way that would end well for MU.

If Buzz wants to move on, his decision, that is fine. If the admin is behind it, then its a fiasco.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »
If Buzz leaves because his balls were squeezed too hard shame on us. I would strongly suggest everyone hope this is not house money run this year and pull for a trip to NO. If Buzz is gone after this year we will never have a run like this or anything close to this again.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
I'm amazed that the combo of a hack writer in Chicago and Buzz needing a nap led to this. I think you guys need to back off, get a full 8 hours, and look at this again in the light of day.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Then Pilarz should get kicked out and Cottingham made President.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
Erick...our meltdowns on are fine. The problem I have too many have low standard for success on here. I got bashed and poked at for starting a post saying Dream Big...most on here think we are playing with house money and the school does as well.

I will predict if Buzz leaves MU will chase after Majerus and I think it would be a mistake. For someone reason there is a group of people that prefer to be a good story underdog than an elite program. I have always believed we could be elite again and would hate to quit so close to the finish line.

Goose, maybe your past posts/sources are getting more credible with the Buzz/MU Admin friction, but there is no way on this planet that Majerus would ever be the coach at MU.  Never.  

This topic is just getting insane.  

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
Erick...our meltdowns on are fine. The problem I have too many have low standard for success on here. I got bashed and poked at for starting a post saying Dream Big...most on here think we are playing with house money and the school does as well.

I will predict if Buzz leaves MU will chase after Majerus and I think it would be a mistake. For someone reason there is a group of people that prefer to be a good story underdog than an elite program. I have always believed we could be elite again and would hate to quit so close to the finish line.

Really??

Majerus was on the verge of death two years ago. People are that antiquated out there that they'd want to bring him back to be the coach of a program whose decline he contributed to..........yikes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
Hold on...you are misinterpreting what I mean.

I agree that Buzz would be extremely difficult to replace, and I most certainly don't want to go through that.  However, it wouldn't be impossible.  The fact is that three of our last four coaches have lead Marquette to the Sweet 16.  If Buzz leaves, the MU administration will be given the chance to hire a coach that can maintain what Buzz has done.  Their heads would only roll if they can't find that person.

Let me also add....I don't think he's going anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:58:44 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
I'm amazed that the combo of a hack writer in Chicago and Buzz needing a nap led to this. I think you guys need to back off, get a full 8 hours, and look at this again in the light of day.

That would be so un-MU Scoop-like of us.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
79Warrior...there are plenty of insiders who have bee scared about this happening for a year. The school does think everyone would understand and eat whatever's served to them. Unless you read this post or read my and several other posters posts you never would have known this.

Big daddy was praised for his dozen posts that made everyone happy. MU knows the masses will never know a problem existed or just flat out not believe it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
I don't know if it's the sexy black get up but Majerus is not looking as fat these days.

And I don't think Majerus would be first on the list by any means.   However Majerus has obviously shown he has grown A LOT since his stint at MU before I was born.  He's proven to be one of the best in the biz.  Not sure why guys are that adamant his name not be spoken.  Cuz he wasn't ready 30 years ago?  Today he's more than ready. (led Utah to NC championship game,etc.)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
Majerus looked pretty rough. I think he lost weight, but when they did the halftime interviews, he looked in rough shape. He seemed like he was about to pass out in his halftime interview today.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »
I don't know if it's the sexy black get up but Majerus is not looking as fat these days.

And I don't think Majerus would be first on the list by any means.   However Majerus has obviously shown he has grown A LOT since his stint at MU before I was born.  He's proven to be one of the best in the biz.  Not sure why guys are that adamant his name not be spoken.  Cuz he wasn't ready 30 years ago?  Today he's more than ready. (led Utah to NC championship game,etc.)

While black is said to have a "slimming effect", I thought he looked like a walking heart attack.  And I like the guy, BTW.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
79Warrior...there are plenty of insiders who have bee scared about this happening for a year. The school does think everyone would understand and eat whatever's served to them. Unless you read this post or read my and several other posters posts you never would have known this.

Big daddy was praised for his dozen posts that made everyone happy. MU knows the masses will never know a problem existed or just flat out not believe it.

Well Goose, the school is full of crap on that one. I will certainly mention to Fr. Pilarz in Phoenix that Buzz needs to be at MU for the long haul unless Buzz himself wants to leave. It will be a huge mistake for MU to assume all would be well with the alums.

In addition, if Buzz is being run out, just who the F would want to come to Milwaukee that would be worth a hoot. Buzz is a big time talent and MU needs to ride the wave.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Majerus looked pretty rough. I think he lost weight, but when they did the halftime interviews, he looked in rough shape. He seemed like he was about to pass out in his halftime interview today.

Rick needed oxygen just to complete a sentence during the interview. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »

This.  This thread is shameful and embarrassing.  Lucky for some the mods have restraint...if it were my site I'd delete this crap and open up banned camp.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »
Rick is awesome coach and is at great spot. My fear is MU creating a great spot here. A less important role on basketball, lesser conference is perfect storm to make us look like SLU. Call me crazy but I think it is part of the master plan. Truthfully only an idiot would know Buzz could not be replaced at this point without a big letdown. If Buzz leaves it is because the school is trying to limit the role team has in the overall picture of the school.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »
We are in the Sweet 16 for the second straight year with a real opportunity to continue to advance...and yet people are really stressing about this?

After what happened last year off of the court, the program needed to tighten the screws on what was going on with the team.  I'm sure having new faces in the MU admin. helping Buzz enforce these rules can lead to some uncertainty from Buzz's perspective, but I think as each side becomes more accustomed with one another, both sides will benefit.

On top of that, people are questioning the school's commitment to basketball??? Our men's basketball operating budget is continually one of the highest in the country.  We pay our head coach 2.8m dollars to coach here.  We have one of the finest practice facilities in the country.  Do you really believe they want to be some kind of underdog?

Either way, the chicken little crap with some people is laughable.  Just try to enjoy the ride, I know Buzz and the team are.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
This.  This thread is shameful and embarrassing.  Lucky for some the mods have restraint...if it were my site I'd delete this crap and open up banned camp.

Whatever Nazi.  

LON

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »

I tried to derail it with a joke.  But apparently I need to take on more of a #OccupyMarquetteAdmin approach.

/lobs another grenade

Rick is awesome coach and is at great spot. My fear is MU creating a great spot here. A less important role on basketball, lesser conference is perfect storm to make us look like SLU. Call me crazy but I think it is part of the master plan. Truthfully only an idiot would know Buzz could not be replaced at this point without a big letdown. If Buzz leaves it is because the school is trying to limit the role team has in the overall picture of the school.

You're crazy.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »

I concur, this thread is depressing, just shut it down.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
Looks like the ink on my GULLIBLE stamp is about to dry up.

An op-ed from the Sun Times?  That's the source you all are relying upon for this conversation?  It's a good thing my moron detector is turned off otherwise it would have exploded.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »
My last post on topic.....I hope my sources and the newspaper article are completely wrong. Nothing would make me happier than having egg on my face. Fingers crossed that my man Buzz is here for years to come. He is best we have had since Al and really, really fun to watch his style of ball.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »
Let's say there are verifiable issues with Buzz and admin, is this really the right time (there's this Sweet 16 thing going on) to have the conversation, especially since we now KNOW Buzz READS the boards?  If this is so, then players, recruits, etc. read this.  There may be veracity to it all, but the timing is crap.  Did you not learn anything from Buzz's comments at the presser???  

feedback