'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz and the Illini  (Read 18302 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Buzz and the Illini
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »
Obviously it's not a done deal yet, but Steve Lavin did say that Shaka Smart was headed to Illinois yesterday. Are his sources accurate? Who knows, but it's got Illini nation giddy.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=542430

I always had Shaka pegged to take over for Bo Ryan.

The nepotists in Madison like to "promote from within," so when Bo eventually retires, his replacement will either be a dash coach (Jeter), a legacy (Bennett), or a native cheesehead (Smart).  But I also think the same push to hire a minority coach is going to play at UW as it is at U of I... which means Bennett is out.  Since Jeter hasn't been anything more than mediocre at UW-M, I can't see that happening unless he either turns UW-M around or UW has a string of a few bad years (thus rationalizing a "rebuilding" hire).

None of this is to say that Smart wouldn't take the U of I job to bridge the gap between now and Bo's immolation, but how often do you see coaches switching jobs within the same major conference (without a KSU stopover)?  I'm sure the feelers from behind the red curtain have already been dispatched to Shaka's camp, so it's got to be in the back of his mind somewhere... to me, whether or not he takes the U of I job is going to speak volumes about his desire to ever coach UW.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
None of this is to say that Smart wouldn't take the U of I job to bridge the gap between now and Bo's immolation, but how often do you see coaches switching jobs within the same major conference (without a KSU stopover)?  I'm sure the feelers from behind the red curtain have already been dispatched to Shaka's camp, so it's got to be in the back of his mind somewhere... to me, whether or not he takes the U of I job is going to speak volumes about his desire to ever coach UW.

Madison native or not, Shaka knows that Illinois is a better coaching job than Wisconsin, especially if he can recruit Chicago.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
I know I responded to the Shaka stuff...

But a plea to this board...plz no more replies so this thread can be buried where it belongs...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »
I have little concern about Buzz going to Illinois. I have concern about Buzz being happy here and hope he is for long time.

I agree Goose. I watch Buzz with his family, Buzz with his players and Buzz with the MU administration. He is NOT a high maintainance guy. Making him happy is not complicated. He IS a guy who demands committment and greatly appreciates any support that comes his way. He turned down big offers last year to "not mess with happy". He's the same guy he was a year ago. Larry William's most important job right now is to make sure Buzz is happy. I don't give a cr*p about how the lacrosse team does next year. If Larry Williams can't keep one of the best young coaches in the country and a fantastic representative of the university happy, he's a failure before he gets started. Ditto for Fr Pilarz. Sincerely hope that they are all on the same page and all this talk is just that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:18:34 AM by Lennys Tap »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Buzz is a different kind of cat.

Part genius, part rain-man. He's refreshing because he's honest and a bit of a loose cannon... he's a bit scary because he's so honest and a bit of a loose cannon.

He could be at MU for 20 years, or another 20min. Anybody who thinks they can predict either with any certainty is fooling themselves. I don't even think he knows.

I like his eccentric style, and I hope he stays a long time.

Oh, and if he does leave, I find it interesting that a lot of people are already pinning it on the administration. I like Buzz a lot, but if he leaves, I'm not automatically willing to blame the administration.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
Can the panicky panickers ease up on the panic now?

http://www.suntimes.com/11396707-417/source-illinois-determined-to-land-shaka-smart-as-next-coach.html

Source: Illinois determined to land Shaka Smart as next coach

BY HERB GOULD Twitter: @HerbGould March 19, 2012 12:08PM

Updated: March 19, 2012 12:32PM

Convinced he needs to get Shaka Smart, Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas is making a no-holds-barred run at the Virginia Commonwealth coach, a source close to the negotiations told the Chicago Sun-Times on Monday.

Smart has shown solid interest, and money will not be a stumbling block, said the source, who has talked to two people involved in the talks.

``They’re going to make damn sure they don’t let him get away,’’ the source said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Hmmm. Didn't even know Shaka was black!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
But that one anonymous guy posting on here said he had some anonymous sources saying otherwise. I say we go with that guy.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
Hmmm. Didn't even know Shaka was black!

Get this racist crap out of here.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
But that one anonymous guy posting on here said he had some made up some anonymous sources saying otherwise. I say we go with that guy.

Fixed.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
I'm predicting that J. Parker, Nunn and Buzz are a package deal for Illinois.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »
I'm predicting that J. Parker, Nunn and Buzz are a package deal for Illinois.

Where the hell did that come from?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »

Where the hell did that come from?

"Sources"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »
"Sources"

Does everyone have sources except me?  Oh wait, Muscoop is my "source".  Info I can trust.  Always.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »

Does everyone have sources except me?  Oh wait, Muscoop is my "source".  Info I can trust.  Always.

Exactly!  Why would the internet lie to you?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
Exactly!  Why would the internet lie to you?
That's why my source is Wikipedia!   ;)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
I don't know if it's the sexy black get up but Majerus is not looking as fat these days.

And I don't think Majerus would be first on the list by any means.   However Majerus has obviously shown he has grown A LOT since his stint at MU before I was born.  He's proven to be one of the best in the biz.  Not sure why guys are that adamant his name not be spoken.  Cuz he wasn't ready 30 years ago?  Today he's more than ready. (led Utah to NC championship game,etc.)

He couldn't recruit well enough for Marquette 30 years ago, and he still can't recruit now.  His best player at SLU, was a guy from Milwaukee, Kwamain Mitchell, that most programs wouldn't touch, and who ended up suspended for a year over an alleged sexual assault.  Larry Williams is definitely gonna want to jump all over that.  He only has enough players to field a team because he's gone to Australia and New Zealand to recruit when hardly anyone else was.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback