[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cheap Flights?  (Read 12930 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Cheap Flights?
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
As some of you may recall, chick and I own a 2nd home out in suburban Vegas.  If one can be somewhat flexible, right now you can shake hands with $64 each way.  My 'great price' threshold used to be $99 each way and that had worked its way up to $119 or $129 but with oil tumbling.....

We'll typically have 1-2 booked trips in the 'SWA bank'.  If we can go, great.  If not we'll re-book knowing that money is good for a full year.  8-)

Yeah, that's another great thing about SWA.  Really no such thing as a nonrefundable fare. If you see a really cheap flight, you can jump on it immediately, rather than waiting until you are sure you can get the time off, etc., and then going back online and finding that the great deal is gone.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »
However, if ya change that "really great fare" itinerary and the cost is greater the your newly selected dates of travel, you will pay the increased difference. So, your "really great fare" just went bye-bye, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
However, if ya change that "really great fare" itinerary and the cost is greater the your newly selected dates of travel, you will pay the increased difference. So, your "really great fare" just went bye-bye, ai na?

Isn't that the way it is everywhere?  Except at Southwest there aren't any change fees.  Also, if a cheaper fare for the exact same flight comes up later, we just cancel our original flight and rebook at the lower price.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
Outta MKE, SWA really doesn't have competition. Therefore, their fares are in lock step with the utter 5-6 carriers. If I wanna fly nonstop, which I always opt for regardless of price, there is no choice. I have done the ORD thing and jumped on VX several times 'cuz their schedule has been better. It's like ridin' in a Rolls vs a Yugo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
Outta MKE, SWA really doesn't have competition. Therefore, their fares are in lock step with the utter 5-6 carriers. If I wanna fly nonstop, which I always opt for regardless of price, there is no choice. I have done the ORD thing and jumped on VX several times 'cuz their schedule has been better. It's like ridin' in a Rolls vs a Yugo, hey?

Very true.  When SWA first came to MKE about 5-6 years ago they were SUPER cheap up there.  We'd occasionally make the drive to park for $5 a day and catch a plane.  Last time we flew out of MKE it fit in nicely with #mubb but that's been at least a year, maybe two.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »
I think a bit that was lost in the discussion of ORD vs MDW is that we have the choice between 2 friggin airports! Having only moved back to Chicago recently, it's so convenient to hop on the L and be at either airport within 45 minutes of my home downtown.

I had to live with General Mitchell for the past while (gosh, it was nearly a decade) and the flight options have steadily declined as soon as Frontier started its decline.

I'm a little hurt that nobody chuckled at my "stowing the kid underneath the seat" quip. Ah well, you win some you lose some.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
Agreed that having 2 airports in our city is a nice luxury, and as much as I will never fly from Midway or on Southwest, ever...I appreciate the fact that they are adding competition that will keep the prices for the better airlines that fly from O'Hare in check.

Being left out of the discussion so far is the sheer number of international destinations from O'Hare. It is actually astounding where you can go from there. For leisure, I almost always prefer international travel to domestic so that very fact alone leaves Southwest and Midway out of consideration. Although I do commend Southwest for adding a few international destinations to Mexico and the Caribbean, these are rarely destinations I choose to visit for fun. I'd much rather to go to Europe.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »
For pure cheap flights discussion: I recently flew Spirit out to the East Coast to visit my brother.

They are a super-cheap-flights airline that upcharge for everything.

Personal item? Free.
Carry on? Upcharge.
Stowed luggage? Upcharge.

Randomly assigned seat? Free.
Pick your own seat? Upcharge.

It was a weekend trip, so I just took a backpack with a change of clothes as my personal item. With taxes + fees I got round-trip to Baltimore and back to Chicago for $110.

I also haven't minded the free-for-all boarding with Southwest. Again, I'm a light packer and I don't care where I sit.

If it's only a couple of hours on a domestic flight including the Carribean & Mexico it really shouldn't matter what airline you fly. Your flight is as short as a Marquette game, and your seat will be much more comfortable.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2016, 02:00:55 PM »
Agreed that having 2 airports in our city is a nice luxury, and as much as I will never fly from Midway or on Southwest, ever...I appreciate the fact that they are adding competition that will keep the prices for the better airlines that fly from O'Hare in check.

Being left out of the discussion so far is the sheer number of international destinations from O'Hare. It is actually astounding where you can go from there. For leisure, I almost always prefer international travel to domestic so that very fact alone leaves Southwest and Midway out of consideration. Although I do commend Southwest for adding a few international destinations to Mexico and the Caribbean, these are rarely destinations I choose to visit for fun. I'd much rather to go to Europe.

Wait, and I'm not trying to troll you.  You've not flown SWA but you've offered an opinion on them?  I'd have to go back and read but I could swear.....

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »

They got those routes via the AirTran purchase.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2016, 02:04:54 PM »
Word.

SWA sucks. Wish Virgin had more routes out of ohare.

Yes, confirmed. 

SWA sucks because....... Oh, you haven't flown them. 

As Coach Ditka used to say. "Who you crappin'?"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »
As a SWA companion pass holder, I laugh at all other airlines.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Yeah, that's another great thing about SWA.  Really no such thing as a nonrefundable fare. If you see a really cheap flight, you can jump on it immediately, rather than waiting until you are sure you can get the time off, etc., and then going back online and finding that the great deal is gone.

exactly what mrs. surgeon and i do.  we fly in to vegas 4-6x per year each.  then drive 2 + hrs down to lake havasu city. btw, we go right past the spot where sammy kinnison(rip brotha) stopped a drunk driver with his car(the irony) no luggage checked.  like riding a bus.  swa have just advertised a $165 'er.  book 'em and save 'em when ya can.  plus you accumulate miles/points.  where are you guys? henderson?  i love that whole area!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
Yes, confirmed. 

SWA sucks because....... Oh, you haven't flown them. 

I've never ridden a Greyhound bus, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that it sucks.

SWA is great for what it is, and it's a great option for many.  But as someone who travels 95% of the time on business, I would never consider SWA unless it was the only route available.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
I've never had a bad experience flying SWA. Always been really cheap and the only delay I ever had was because of heavy morning fog at LAX. Delta on the other hand...yech.

Also, chick/glow, anytime you feel like hosting at your Vegas home, you know how to get ahold of me  ;D

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
I've never had a bad experience flying SWA. Always been really cheap and the only delay I ever had was because of heavy morning fog at LAX. Delta on the other hand...yech.

I guess you've never flown SWA out of LaGuardia.  Can't recall a flight that wasn't delayed. 
Ludum habemus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
I guess you've never flown SWA out of LaGuardia.  Can't recall a flight that wasn't delayed.

Probably true for every airline.  LGA is a tough one.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
exactly what mrs. surgeon and i do.  we fly in to vegas 4-6x per year each.  then drive 2 + hrs down to lake havasu city. btw, we go right past the spot where sammy kinnison(rip brotha) stopped a drunk driver with his car(the irony) no luggage checked.  like riding a bus.  swa have just advertised a $165 'er.  book 'em and save 'em when ya can.  plus you accumulate miles/points.  where are you guys? henderson?  i love that whole area!

Summerlin, bicycle distance from Red Rock National Rec.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
I've never ridden a Greyhound bus, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that it sucks.

SWA is great for what it is, and it's a great option for many.  But as someone who travels 95% of the time on business, I would never consider SWA unless it was the only route available.

Greyhound is actually a treat. At least they have comfy seats and bathrooms on the bus.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2016, 04:50:50 PM »
For pure cheap flights discussion: I recently flew Spirit out to the East Coast to visit my brother.

They are a super-cheap-flights airline that upcharge for everything.

Personal item? Free.
Carry on? Upcharge.
Stowed luggage? Upcharge.

Randomly assigned seat? Free.
Pick your own seat? Upcharge.

It was a weekend trip, so I just took a backpack with a change of clothes as my personal item. With taxes + fees I got round-trip to Baltimore and back to Chicago for $110.

I also haven't minded the free-for-all boarding with Southwest. Again, I'm a light packer and I don't care where I sit.

If it's only a couple of hours on a domestic flight including the Carribean & Mexico it really shouldn't matter what airline you fly. Your flight is as short as a Marquette game, and your seat will be much more comfortable.

I freakin love Spirit.  LOVE THEM.  They are the airline of Capitalism.  You want a cup of water?  Pay up!  You want to bring on a big ass bag?  Pay up since your weight uses more fuel.  I'm not being sarcastic here, I truly do love that about them.

While they can sometimes be Mussolini-esque in their fees, after you fly with them once or twice you learn the ropes.  For instance, whenever I travel with Spirit I simply wear all of my clothes for the trip.  I buy a burner backpack once I land. 

Also, I did appreciate the 'stowing the kid under seat' quip.  I chuckled aloud.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
I freakin love Spirit.  LOVE THEM.  They are the airline of Capitalism.  You want a cup of water?  Pay up!  You want to bring on a big ass bag?  Pay up since your weight uses more fuel.  I'm not being sarcastic here, I truly do love that about them.

While they can sometimes be Mussolini-esque in their fees, after you fly with them once or twice you learn the ropes.  For instance, whenever I travel with Spirit I simply wear all of my clothes for the trip.  I buy a burner backpack once I land. 

Also, I did appreciate the 'stowing the kid under seat' quip.  I chuckled aloud.

Yeah, i think Spirit gets a bad rap. It's like when Midwest stopped serving cookies and people went nuts. You are freaking out about a cookie? Really? Last 2 times I've flown Spirit it was 50% cheaper than the next closest airline. I bought a large water in the terminal for $4.50 and was fine for a flight. I don't get why people get so pissed when they get nickeled and dimed. Just decline the water/soda and read your book. The personal bag also isn't bad for a weekend. You can easily fit 3 change of clothes and workout shoes.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »
Summerlin, bicycle distance from Red Rock National Rec.

beautiful area-thanks!

i've never ever never(oh schmit-i probably shouldn't be saying this) had a bad flight with SWA.  flying out to vegas(via MKE) on wednesday-oh well, i'm not in any hurry anyway.  i've never ever never had a flight with american where something didn't go wrong.  from pilots calling in blue flu to ONE toilet malfunctioning. delta is my first go to if i can't fly SWA

don't...don't don't don't don't

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
Probably true for every airline.  LGA is a tough one.

As at least a monthly visitor of LGA - it's the 3rd circle of hell. I have had way too many Auntie Anne's dinners than I care to admit.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
Wait, and I'm not trying to troll you.  You've not flown SWA but you've offered an opinion on them?  I'd have to go back and read but I could swear.....

I have flown southwest. But not in the last couple years
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:59:16 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

This was a forward looking statement, not on what I've done in the past

feedback