collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384481 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1375 on: February 08, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
I dont know what this means for safety/efficacy re-trials or how quickly the production line can be changed, but AZ already working on a tweak to the vaccine to cover mutations and will be read in 6 weeks. 

Additionally, the SA trial that necessitated the pause could not assess protection against severe COVID or death because the trial skewed too small and too young.  Seems like an odd move by the government to shut it down based on that info.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/astrazeneca-races-to-adapt-covid-vaccine-as-south-africa-halts-rollout.html

Clearly we are all getting boosters for a foreseeable amount of time....so knowing that, all i need to know to take a vaccine is that it offers some protection.

PS it seems like AZ has not had a clear cut trial yet.  What a failure versus some of the others. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:38:25 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1376 on: February 08, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
I dont know what this means for safety/efficacy re-trials or how quickly the production line can be changed, but AZ already working on a tweak to the vaccine to cover mutations and will be read in 6 weeks. 

Additionally, the SA trial that necessitated the pause could not assess protection against severe COVID or death because the trial skewed too small and too young.  Seems like an odd move by the government to shut it down based on that info.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/astrazeneca-races-to-adapt-covid-vaccine-as-south-africa-halts-rollout.html

Clearly we are all getting boosters for a foreseeable amount of time....so knowing that, all i need to know to take a vaccine is that it offers some protection.

PS it seems like AZ has not had a clear cut trial yet.  What a failure versus some of the others.

Interesting, and disappointing.

Regarding the question of safety and efficacy trials for vaccines that are changed to deal with variants: for ‘traditional’ vaccines using platforms that have long safety profiles (like the annual flu shot), regulators don’t require much. That will probably be the case for the AZ vaccine, which uses an adenovirus platform. For the new are mRNA vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna, the question is still unresolved as far as I know.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: February 10, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »
I’ve always found Gottlieb to be pretty accurate in his assessments.  It would be great if his prediction on the point where supply > demand is right. 

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1359532849553158145?s=21

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1378 on: February 10, 2021, 04:59:38 PM »
I’ve always found Gottlieb to be pretty accurate in his assessments.  It would be great if his prediction on the point where supply > demand is right. 

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1359532849553158145?s=21

Yes, it would be fabulous if we get to that point by April. My personal prediction is that I'll get it in June because I'm near the end of the priority line...but I would love to be wrong.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #1379 on: February 11, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/us/houston-doctor-fired-covid-vaccine.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read regarding the vaccine rollout and a perfect example of bureaucratic incompetence and a DA who is a moron.  Everyone agrees with following the priority groups and its pretty clear this doctor tried to do that, but given how the vaccine is distributed, there are real situations where vaccine is leftover.  The vaccine comes in large vials where you get 10 or even 11 doses in each vial.  Once the seal is broken, the vaccine needs to be used asap(6 hours).  Anyone arguing for throwing good vaccine away fails to miss the very simple point that vaccines only work when in someone's arm.  Obviously you would want that vaccine in a 1a or 1b individual, but if that's not possible for whatever reason, then anyone is better than no one. 

Its not about fairness or equity when the alternative is throwing away perfectly good vaccine, but being resourceful so it doesn't take double the amount of vaccine to vaccinate one person.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: February 11, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »
It’s doubtful he gets indicted, and no way he is getting convicted. The district attorney is an idiot. His superiors should have threatened to resign en masse.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1381 on: February 11, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/us/houston-doctor-fired-covid-vaccine.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read regarding the vaccine rollout and a perfect example of bureaucratic incompetence and a DA who is a moron.  Everyone agrees with following the priority groups and its pretty clear this doctor tried to do that, but given how the vaccine is distributed, there are real situations where vaccine is leftover.  The vaccine comes in large vials where you get 10 or even 11 doses in each vial.  Once the seal is broken, the vaccine needs to be used asap(6 hours).  Anyone arguing for throwing good vaccine away fails to miss the very simple point that vaccines only work when in someone's arm.  Obviously you would want that vaccine in a 1a or 1b individual, but if that's not possible for whatever reason, then anyone is better than no one. 

Its not about fairness or equity when the alternative is throwing away perfectly good vaccine, but being resourceful so it doesn't take double the amount of vaccine to vaccinate one person.

It should be about that, but...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1382 on: February 11, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »
Just got my second Shingles vax shot, and was informed that the advice is to not get the COVID vax for two weeks.  Shouldn't be an issue, unfortunately. 
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: February 11, 2021, 03:07:24 PM »
Just got my second Shingles vax shot, and was informed that the advice is to not get the COVID vax for two weeks.  Shouldn't be an issue, unfortunately.

Yeah its one of the questions they ask you when you register for your covid vax.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1384 on: February 12, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
Biden has secured enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone by July. Of 2020!

This has been done in 3 weeks with almost nothing in place when he took over.

How many of the almost 500,000 deaths are now on one incompetent fool? And those who voted for and supported him?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: February 12, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »
Yeah, dat fookin' fool only got da vaccine in motion, and in warp speed, while in office so C'mon Man Joe could be the hero and place an order, with one swift stroke of his pen. Oh, how easy, but we won't go there, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: February 12, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
Yeah, dat fookin' fool only got da vaccine in motion, and in warp speed, while in office so C'mon Man Joe could be the hero and place an order, with one swift stroke of his pen. Oh, how easy, but we won't go there, hey?

I'm just happy he remembers what a pen is and how to use it at his advanced age, hey doc?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: February 12, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »

Didn't Pfizer only take funds from the German version of warp speed?
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: February 12, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »
For now, until the Party ushers him outta office. Doubt folks in the energy industry are thrilled with his penmanship, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1389 on: February 12, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »

Yep.  He managed to do one thing right in 10 months.

Best President of your lifetime ai'na?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: February 12, 2021, 10:48:25 AM »
Didn't Pfizer only take funds from the German version of warp speed?

Yes, and because they did not accept funds from warp speed, Trump's government refused to give them any priorities for essential reagents, and refused to give them priority for essential infrastructure/equipment, delaying production.

Biden immediately undid that, use the DPA to secure reagents and equipment, so that we could likely 1/2 the time needed to vaccinate everyone.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: February 12, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
Yes, and because they did not accept funds from warp speed, Trump's government refused to give them any priorities for essential reagents, and refused to give them priority for essential infrastructure/equipment, delaying production.

Biden immediately undid that, use the DPA to secure reagents and equipment, so that we could likely 1/2 the time needed to vaccinate everyone.

This makes sense. Was wondering why my question was ignored.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: February 12, 2021, 11:13:37 AM »
How many of the almost 500,000 deaths are now on one incompetent fool?
False!

I think you ae overlooking the substantial help from Secretary Of Failure Jared.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: February 12, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »
For now, until the Party ushers him outta office. Doubt folks in the energy industry are thrilled with his penmanship, hey?

You want to compare the energy industry versus all the industries Trump left empty promises with?

Blood on your hands, but keep going.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: February 12, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »

Yep.  He managed to do one thing right in 10 months.

Best President of your lifetime ai'na?

Warp speed was great and accelerated the trials.  My question is that we put up all that money up front to get those companies to manufacture immediately regardless of the outcome of the trial -- doesn't seem to have worked on that front.   JNJ in particular.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1395 on: February 12, 2021, 01:44:55 PM »
F.D.A. Agrees Moderna Can Increase Vaccine Supply in Each Vial

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/us/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-supply.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

A good move, but it will likely take Moderna until April to retool production to accommodate the change. Seems like this is something the company and regulators should have discussed months ago.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: February 12, 2021, 01:51:57 PM »
That would have required caring, planning, and coordination.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1397 on: February 12, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »

I was offered the Shingles vax a month ago, and declined for this very reason.  I can wait a year, hopefully.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1398 on: February 14, 2021, 11:33:46 AM »
The past four days, 7.6 million doses have been administered in the US.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: February 14, 2021, 11:54:28 AM »
The past four days, 7.6 million doses have been administered in the US.

This is great news and with the supply increases on the horizon, should really open up the floodgates.   Maybe I should temper my enthusiasm, but I actually believe I may get a chance at vaccine in April.

feedback