collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So long, fall back and spring ahead?  (Read 3510 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: So long, fall back and spring ahead?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2022, 04:16:50 PM »
When I was at Marquette, bar time on Saturday night was 3:30 a.m.

In the fall, the bars were allowed to wait to move the clock back, so they'd be open till 3:30.

In the spring, the bars would move the clocks ahead an hour, so they'd be open till 4:30 (which obviously was only 3:30, but still).

Or so I heard.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 04:23:56 PM »
Hot take: The US should get rid of at least one time zone (probably two).

Imagine being in China.  1 time for the whole country.  Spans 5 zones.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2022, 04:29:10 PM »
When I was at Marquette, bar time on Saturday night was 3:30 a.m.

In the fall, the bars were allowed to wait to move the clock back, so they'd be open till 3:30.

In the spring, the bars would move the clocks ahead an hour, so they'd be open till 4:30 (which obviously was only 3:30, but still).

Or so I heard.

Those were long nights closing Wolski's.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 05:24:25 PM »
Imagine being in China.  1 time for the whole country.  Spans 5 zones.

Thats more reasonable than India who said "instead of 2 time zones, we'll just have the whole country on 1 time zone...and average it"  so they are 9.5 hours ahead of EST.  The half hour difference from the entire rest of the world is so absurd

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »
Thats more reasonable than India who said "instead of 2 time zones, we'll just have the whole country on 1 time zone...and average it"  so they are 9.5 hours ahead of EST.  The half hour difference from the entire rest of the world is so absurd

What if time zones run north-south, instead of East-west and we really get crazy?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2022, 05:45:54 PM »

I think Afganistan is also a half hour different.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
Hot take: The US should get rid of at least one time zone (probably two).

Let's make it one, like China!
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2022, 06:32:39 PM »
Those were long nights closing Wolski's.

And everywhere else.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2022, 06:57:12 PM »

I half jokingly proposed that same idea above.

I'll put you know for a no on the ZFB time zone compromise reconciliation bill of 2022, abridged.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2022, 06:59:35 PM »
If time is relative and subjective, shouldn't it be left up to states rights?

My verdict on this is that while it will be great to have daylight later in the winter, I feel this will be detrimental to my kids going the f to sleep, and for that reason I'm out.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2022, 08:41:36 PM »
Yea I think its definitely a net positive.  Walking out of an office at 530 and having it be dark as night as well as bitter cold is just extremely depressing.  Its not as bad in a warm weather state, but I think there is definitely something to be said for not feeling like all your daylight hours are spent in work
The south also does not have the sunlight-darkness hour length swings during the season extremes that the north does.
Visited northern Michigan a couple years back towards the summer solstice.  Still sunlight at 10:30 pm.  Really caught me by surprise.
If one likes to do things outside when they return home from work in the evening, daylight saving year round is the way to go.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2022, 08:03:11 AM »
I lost two hours this past Sunday in Florida

The horror.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2022, 08:25:02 AM »
It is related to our circadian clocks. We have evolved to function on a specific schedule dictated by our bodies being able to predict when the sun will come up each day. Our sleep cycles are tightly coupled to this.

It is well known that disruptions to these patterns by our bodies not being properly aligned with the daily light/dark cycle leads to adverse health effects, including cancer, diabetes, mood disorders, etc.

Daylight savings time shifts our bodies into an un-natural regime. Constant standard time is most aligned with our natural clock.

Horacio de la Iglesia (at the University of Washington) is one of the most vocal and knowledgeable people in this arena.

I get all that.

The problem with standard time year round is that Milwaukee (and the rest of Wisconsin) sits so far east in the Central Time Zone, that the sun would rise around 4:15 AM in late June with constant standard time.  I am an early riser and that's just insane.

OTOH, sitting far west in a time zone means that it would be really dark on winter mornings under constant daylight time.

So I think my solution is to stick with our current system and just deal with being tired for a couple weeks a year.  No biggie.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2022, 09:13:37 PM »
I lost two hours this past Sunday in Florida

The horror.

That was the bourbon.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2022, 10:03:01 PM »
For those interested, a great op-ed regarding why we should have permanent standard time.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opinions/97902

Quite interesting is that for each 5 degrees west you go in each time zone, there is a 3-4% increase in cancer incidence due to misalignment of ones clock with their environment.

Also, not surprising that congress finally makes a change to daylight savings time (which never really made much sense), but does so in the opposite way that all the scientific experts recommended.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 10:12:58 PM by forgetful »

feedback