'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode  (Read 27754 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
worst case scenario:   Pilarz is Chicos-esque and doesn't like JUCOs and Buzz's style, and in twelve months we can expect a Keno Davis type hire at MU.  

best case scenario:   Pilarz really is the peace keeper and loves Buzz and Larry Williams really is dumb enough to piss off the driver of the b-ball advertising and money machine when it's at full speed.

Firing of Cottingham has me leaning toward worst case scenario.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:43:19 PM by Stone Cold »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
Stone Cold
Do we really want our President deciding our style of play?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
Stone Cold
Do we really want our President deciding our style of play?

Jesuits always know best.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
Fr. Pilarz was big in getting this whole nonsense resolved. He's been nothing but supportive of Buzz and the program, at least publicly.

Really? What has Pilarz said in public. He certainly does not respond to many emails.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
I've been told by others you like to guess at what people are thinking and then deciding that is what they said.   ::)

I would note I didn't say Jucos and have actually stated on several occasions that I have zero issues with any JUCOs.  None.  To your point, MU has taken Jucos before, one of my favorites was Marcus Jackson.  Jae Crowder was another.  Tyrone Baldwin another. 

Since you didn't comment on anything else in my post, is it safe to assume that you agree he is well compensated, that his basketball budget is top notch, etc?

All this ball squeezing that is supposedly going on, what is it? Where is it?  His pay?  No.  His recruiting budget?  No.  His overall budget?  No.  His ability to recruit kids?  No (you said so yourself).

Where and what is the ball squeezing?  This has been asked over and over again in the 100+ page thread of you, Goose, and the others that are throwing out this line that he is somehow under the thumb of the university.  Please be specific.

If these guys that Marquette is allowing in for Buzz that weren't allowed in the past aren't Jucos who are they? A simple I was wrong would have sufficed.

As to the rest of your post, certainly Buzz has a good salary and basketball has a large budget. Fr Pilarz and Larry Williams had nothing to do with establishing those numbers.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
I have a feeling that This has taken Pilarz by surprise. Smells like a few boosters to me. Pilarz doesn't want to deal with this crap.

There is a somewhat large faction of boosters who use access to Marquette basketball as bizarre confirmation of their own Professional success. These are guys at the game in suit coats and cashmere scarves. These are people who wouldn't be caught dead at Buck Bradleys or anyplace on 3rd St or elsewhere. I believe they are a very loud minority opinion on all things MU. And I hate to say this...and if you knew me at all you'd know I never make this claim...but the whole uproar about these so called off court "incidents" is steeped in racism. And I believe some of these well heeled boosters don't like explaining the make up of MUs basketball team to their friends while the Badgers roster looks much different.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
PRN
I disagree with the booster comment, I believe the big supporters of Buzz are still big supporters of Buzz. Your comment about MU style players vs. Badger players I think plays a role in the big picture. The big swinging dick boosters want to win and win now. Believe there is a faction of second tier boosters that would prefer Badger style kids. I alluded to that two days ago and think the vocal minority assume the worst of the kids.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
for all any of us know larry williams called buzz after the dance at wv and they had a good laugh about it and then decided larry would post a public comment like the one he did...i think most coaches have a huge let down after a season and it's such an emotional drop that they re-think things.

i have a few connections through friends to some of the boosters who are at the top of mu's list...it seems like winning is everything...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
Avid
The big boy boosters on board and want to go along for the ride.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
Avid

I hope they let LW and FP know.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Muskie
My bet is some of the fella's let them know who pays the bills.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »
Avid

the big boy basketball boosters are.  the question is are the big boy university donors on board?  that is were the vocal minority come from.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Bingo ZFB!!! It comes down to what they program to be. I do not want to be Kentucky but would like to try to win a NCAA championship.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
Bottom line is MU and Buzz are just not a good fit. Things have changed and unless one side blinks, I expect they'll decide to go their own way.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
4ever
probably true...can we talk about Dooley

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
The leaving of Fr. Wild might signal the end of MU playing big boy basketball. 

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
Bottom line is MU and Buzz are just not a good fit. Things have changed and unless one side blinks, I expect they'll decide to go their own way.

How did we go from 100+ pages a couple days ago about what a perfect fit Buzz and MU were, to this?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
Muskie
Did we really think statement made it all better or were we just tired? I was happy it brought a couple of days of craziness to an end but did not think statement was cure all. Anyone that has been around the program for some time knows that it does not always do the right things. When I hit the pad on Tuesday night I told my wife this is not the end of the story.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Keep stirring the pot Goose - you an investor in IWB's site?

Muskie
Did we really think statement made it all better or were we just tired? I was happy it brought a couple of days of craziness to an end but did not think statement was cure all. Anyone that has been around the program for some time knows that it does not always do the right things. When I hit the pad on Tuesday night I told my wife this is not the end of the story.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
I don't understand this negativity either.  It's the kind of thing that drives Buzz nuts - because he has said over and over he wants to stay at MU.  We don't know what happened behind hte scenes, but let's at least be happy that the statement indicates that Buzz is staying.  Given that, if there are issues - which we do not know - then there will be time to smooth them out - but again, we really don't know if there are or were issues.

I'm happy he plans to stay aboard at Marquette.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:44:40 PM by Daniel »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
Daniel
I hear what you say and respect your posts a lot. You obviously are a long time fan and love your positive attitude. My whole point on the realllllllllly long thread was to let people know there was an issue. If they felt need to bash me or email the parties in question all the better. Now two days after the statement i do think there is a dark cloud over the situation and needs to be discussed.

You seem like a really good fan and like the positive attitude. Hate to say it but we might have potholes ahead of us. I wish we were talking about S Taylor and Burton who are real studs.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
The naïveté on this board is just beyond comprehension.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »
4ever
Am I that naive?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:40 PM »
Daniel
I hear what you say and respect your posts a lot. You obviously are a long time fan and love your positive attitude. My whole point on the realllllllllly long thread was to let people know there was an issue. If they felt need to bash me or email the parties in question all the better. Now two days after the statement i do think there is a dark cloud over the situation and needs to be discussed.

You seem like a really good fan and like the positive attitude. Hate to say it but we might have potholes ahead of us. I wish we were talking about S Taylor and Burton who are real studs.

Thanks Goose.  If "there was an issue" I hope the operative word is "WAS".   Why can't we assume the issue is now resolved?  Perhaps it will take time, if there was some friction, to smooth things over.  But I have seen this time and time again in the corporate world.  It can work out, and often does.  I am hoping it does here, and the press release statement was a positive indicator.  That's all I'm saying

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »
Bottom line is MU and Buzz are just not a good fit.

Could you explain this statement?  How are they not a good fit, exactly?