collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128932 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5375 on: May 14, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »
I'd go for it.  -- Also, I'm curious how you're scheduled for an "elective" medical appointment.  I'm overdue for a physical too, but I figured I had to wait until all that was lifted.

Electives have come back. Having kidney donation in early june.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5376 on: May 14, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
I'd go for it.  -- Also, I'm curious how you're scheduled for an "elective" medical appointment.  I'm overdue for a physical too, but I figured I had to wait until all that was lifted.

I just tried to schedule my eye exam - I am way overdue, and I finally need glasses after having had Lasik 20 years ago. But they said they aren't going to schedule routine exams for at least another month.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5377 on: May 14, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »

You are?  Dang, good luck and good health.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5378 on: May 14, 2020, 12:38:51 PM »

Hope it goes well
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5379 on: May 14, 2020, 12:41:39 PM »

Sorry to hear you need one, glad to see you're getting one.  What will this mean for your employment after your surgery, since you will most certainly be immunocompromised?  You don't need to answer if its too personal.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #5380 on: May 14, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »
Good luck with the kidney donation.  I have a friend who donated to her husband (yes, she was the best match) a few months ago, and so far all is going well. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5381 on: May 14, 2020, 02:57:05 PM »
Speaking of Florida.  The Onion is right on queue.

Florida Governor Deploys National Guard To Force Residents Back Into Malls, Movie Theaters
https://www.theonion.com/florida-governor-deploys-national-guard-to-force-reside-1843463980?utm_source=TheOnion_Daily_RSS&utm_medium=email

jesmu84

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5383 on: May 14, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1260940493615235073?s=19

Let me save Cheeks the time. Do you really think any other administration would handle this differently in an election year? No chance. Political suicide!

For the record just so everyone knows, I want to throw this out there, I’ve never voted anything but Republican in my life. There are just issues on both sides. Just want everyone to know. Both sides.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5384 on: May 14, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
I know some feel these types of articles are making people "panic," but here are some young patients and their parents describing the COVID-related infections that are sending them to the ICU ...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242728091.html?

A 14-year-old in Portland, Oregon, had to be rushed to the hospital with heart failure. A baby in California’s Bay Area started developing big rashes on her hands, along with swelling legs and red eyes. An 8-year-old boy in New York City became so weak he couldn’t breathe.

Multiple reports from around the country describe what is happening to children who develop what doctors are calling a coronavirus-related syndrome that looks similar to Kawasaki disease. The syndrome was first reported in London, but doctors in New York soon started seeing cases of the rare inflammatory disease there, too.

Researchers studying the province of Bergamo, Italy — hit hard by the pandemic — reported they found a 30-fold increase in children with Kawasaki-like symptoms.

The researchers compared data from two months of the outbreak in Italy from February to April and the five years before the coronavirus emerged, according to the article published in The Lancet medical journal Wednesday.

More than 100 children in New York state have developed the rare syndrome and three have died, according to The New York Times.

Cases have been reported around the country as well. A hospital in Detroit, another coronavirus hot spot, has treated more than 20 kids for the symptoms, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Dr. Jeffrey Burns, a doctor at Boston Children’s Hospital, said he is helping coordinate doctors around the world to discuss the new condition and compare notes, according to CNN.

“This multisystem inflammatory syndrome is not directly caused by the virus,” he said on CNN. “The leading hypothesis is that it is due to the immune response of the patient.”

The 8th grade girl in Portland, named Leah, had already not been feeling well when her condition got much worse, she told ABC News.

“I told my mom I needed to go to the hospital, that I wasn’t feeling well and that I needed her to take me because it was like — it was a weird pain that I was having,” she told ABC. The broadcaster said it withheld the 14-year-old’s last name to protect her privacy.

She had a fever. Her eyes were bloodshot and red. Leah’s doctor in Portland had already heard of the strange symptoms some kids were developing during the pandemic, so he had paramedics take her straight to the emergency room, according ABC News.

Her doctor called Leah’s case a “textbook” example of the new COVID-related symptoms that are appearing in this new syndrome, ABC News reports.

A 6-month-old baby in Santa Clara County developed the symptoms in March, when doctors still did not know what was going on with these complications in children, according to ABC7 News.

The baby’s mom, identified as Mahera, said, “The rashes were also getting very big and her hands and legs started kind of swelling. Her eyes were getting red,” according to the station.

She took her baby, named Zara, to the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford where the girl tested positive for the coronavirus, ABC7 reported.

Dr. Yvonne Maldonado, who treated Zara, told the television station, “It was a very interesting case, because I mentioned it to my colleagues around the country back when it happened, and I said are any of you seeing this? And they said no, not at all.”

“The main thing that we worry about with Kawasaki is that there can be longer term complications... And those include inflammation of the arteries, especially those around the heart,” Maldonado said, ABC7 reports.

Eight-year-old Jayden, from Queens, New York, started having a fever and diarrhea in late April, likely from the coronavirus, according to The New York Post. But his condition deteriorated.

On April 29, Jayden called to his mother as he lost the strength to breathe, according to the newspaper. The boy started to turn blue and his 15-year-old brother began to give him CPR, a skill he picked up in Boy Scouts, The Post reported.

Jayden had started to go into cardiac arrest, the boy’s father told CNN on Wednesday. Roup Hardowar said his younger son was in the hospital for two weeks recovering.

Doctors told the parents that their son suffered from the condition linked to the coronavirus. Jayden tested negative for the virus, but did have the antibodies for COVID-19, indicating an earlier infection, CNN reports.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #5385 on: May 14, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »
"When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5386 on: May 14, 2020, 05:31:56 PM »
"When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases."

“We have the best testing in the world. Could be that testing is, frankly, overrated. Maybe it is overrated.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5387 on: May 14, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »

Put him on Mt. Rushmore yesterday
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5388 on: May 14, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »
Who, exactly, is rooting against Florida's success?

March 28th to April 5th read the comments here by a number of members.  The cheerleading in how stupid he was, how the death rate would have exploded by now.  Even last week how he has to be hiding the numbers. 

The partisanship is so bad. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5389 on: May 14, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
March 28th to April 5th read the comments here by a number of members.  The cheerleading in how stupid he was, how the death rate would have exploded by now.  Even last week how he has to be hiding the numbers. 

None of which was rooting for Florida to fail.

Funny coming from a guy who has never once voted for anything but a Democrat in his life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5390 on: May 14, 2020, 08:40:19 PM »

You don’t know the difference between predicting failure and hoping for it? It’s pretty clear.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5391 on: May 14, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »

This is the same dumb logic that says criticism of war = rooting against the troops.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5392 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:13 PM »

Criticism equals rooting for failure.   Creeping fascism.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5393 on: May 14, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »
Is this satisfactory to everyone or is this another instance of someone trying to ‘scare people’.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/497917-cdc-issues-advisory-about-severe-coronavirus-related-illness-in-children

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5394 on: May 14, 2020, 09:48:46 PM »
Is this satisfactory to everyone or is this another instance of someone trying to ‘scare people’.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/497917-cdc-issues-advisory-about-severe-coronavirus-related-illness-in-children

It’s an advisory alert and directive to medical professionals to provide more information. Similar to outbreaks of other contagious diseases that occur.

It’s VERY different than calling it “terrifying” or saying 30-fold for something that now affects .3% of children instead of .01%. Or other inflammatory headlines.

It does exactly what should be done. Inform and bring awareness, not incite fear or increasing anxiety.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5395 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »
This is the same dumb logic that says criticism of war = rooting against the troops.

Or criticizing the president = "They hate America."

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #5396 on: May 14, 2020, 10:14:28 PM »
Let me save Cheeks the time. Do you really think any other administration would handle this differently in an election year? No chance. Political suicide!

For the record just so everyone knows, I want to throw this out there, I’ve never voted anything but Republican in my life. There are just issues on both sides. Just want everyone to know. Both sides.

Just speculation but i don't suspect any other administration would be accusing joe Scarborough of murder in the middle of a pandemic. or accusing their predecessor of treason, or saying we should inject bleach to kill COVID-19. Or appointing their dim witted son in law to lead the fight. not even jerry ford. Just me speculating.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5397 on: May 14, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
Just speculation but i don't suspect any other administration would be accusing joe Scarborough of murder in the middle of a pandemic. or accusing their predecessor of treason, or saying we should inject bleach to kill COVID-19. Or appointing their dim witted son in law to lead the fight. not even jerry ford. Just me speculating.

Come on.  Don’t be so naive.  That’s political suicide if you don’t handle it that way.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #5398 on: May 14, 2020, 10:49:11 PM »
Come on.  Don’t be so naive.  That’s political suicide if you don’t handle it that way.

Exercising a modicum of leadership and competency = "political suicide"? As opposed to 90,000 dead and 37 million unemployed? ok.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5399 on: May 14, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
Exercising a modicum of leadership and competency = "political suicide"? As opposed to 90,000 dead and 37 million unemployed? ok.

Sarcasm, man.