[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Now More Than 365 days Without A Transfer. First Such Period Since Crean?  (Read 17442 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU has gone more than 365 days without a transfer.  Steve Taylor was the last transfer, announced on March 18, 2015. (He announced Cleveland State on May 17, 2015.)

Two questions:

1) Do you expect anyone to transfer this off-season?

2) Is the the first 365 day period without a transfer since Crean was in charge?  Am I forgetting a 365 day period under Buzz?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:47:04 PM by Heisenberg »

bilsu

• All American
We will not know about transfers, if any, until the semester ends, because MU will not release a palyer until his grades are in. I am not expecting any transfers.

tower912

• All American
Crean had lots of transfers.   Hence the term 'house-Creaning'.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
Probably should hang a banner.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
We will not know about transfers, if any, until the semester ends, because MU will not release a palyer until his grades are in. I am not expecting any transfers.

Steve Taylor announced his transfer in March last year.

chapman

• All American
Am I forgetting a 36 day period under Buzz?

FIFY.

#UnleashSean

• All American
FIFY.

How about when 2 guys transferred out and then back in. Holy hell I wish one of them went back to Oakland.....

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
MU has gone more than 365 days without a transfer.  Steve Taylor was the last transfer, announced on March 18, 2015. (He announced Cleveland State on May 17, 2015

He transferred to Toledo, not Cleveland State.

bilsu

• All American

Steve Taylor announced his transfer in March last year.
Yes, but he was a junior with enough credits to leave in good standing.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I'm assuming no one disagrees with the idea that the last 365 day period without a transfer was back in the Crean era?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Trevor Mbakwe.  Scott Christopherson.  Jeronne Maymon.  Patrick Hazel.  Youssoupha Mbao.  Reggie Smith.  Erik Williams.  Jamail Jones.  Jameel McKay.  Jamal Ferguson.  Deonte Burton.  Steve Taylor.  Gabe Levin.  John Dawson. 

Any other transfers I missed in the past 10 years?  That's quite the collection.

KampusFoods

• All American
Trevor Mbakwe.  Scott Christopherson.  Jeronne Maymon.  Patrick Hazel.  Youssoupha Mbao.  Reggie Smith.  Erik Williams.  Jamail Jones.  Jameel McKay.  Jamal Ferguson.  Deonte Burton.  Steve Taylor.  Gabe Levin.  John Dawson. 

Any other transfers I missed in the past 10 years?  That's quite the collection.

McMorrow. Roseboro.

GGGG

• All American

TJ Taylor
David Singleton

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Does DJ Newbill count as a transfer?

muwarrior69

• All American

Does Buzz count?

MU82

• All American
Wait ... we've had several transfers, starting with JJJ.

Due to all of Wojo's mind games, IIRC.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
Silly topic - Wojo had 4 transfers in his first year and we don't yet know if he'll have any in his second.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:20:41 PM by Lennys Tap »

bilsu

• All American
I'm assuming no one disagrees with the idea that the last 365 day period without a transfer was back in the Crean era?
I am just trying to picture it. Crean had so many transfers that it is hard to beleive he did not have a transfer every year. By looking at the history of players that played for MU I came up with these players, some of who I do not even remember. Amoroso, Bell, Blankson, Berkowitz, Bradley, Christian, Freund, Hanley (?), Hazel, Hester, Howard, Kuphall (?), Mason, Menard. This does not include these players that never played. Williams a transfer from NC St, Saunders and Matthews. That averages more than one a year, but there could of been a year where there was not a transfer.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Silly topic - Wojo had 4 transfers in his first year and we don't yet know if he'll have any in his second.

Turnover always happens with a new coach, that was expected.

Correct that we don't know if anyone is transferring.

tower912

• All American
He is recruiting like someone is transferring.   Heavy on guards, light on bigs. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

No, because he never enrolled.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
Yes, but he was a junior with enough credits to leave in good standing.

And the existing players aren't?  So why were they eligible to play this semester?   ::)

Look, I hope no one is transferring.  But I'd be really surprised if that information wasn't out in the public long  before May 10th.  There's no law requiring a student athlete to remain silent that I'm aware of.  And because scholarships are renewed annually, there's technically 13 available at this very moment with only a 'gentlemen's agreement' that most are already filled by returning athletes. 

Moreover, the Spring signing period begins April 13th and extends through May 18th.  Do you really think prospective athletes are going to wait on MU until exams are completed? 

Do note that the NBA Draft Combine is scheduled for May 11-15.  This could make it a little tricky for Wojo with respect to Henry as he weighs his final decision.  Might be tough for one of the Bigs to 'hang around and wait'.  Hopefully Henry is sensitive to that and can give Wojo a pretty clear path well in advance.   

4everwarriors

• All American
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American

Moreover, the Spring signing period begins April 13th and extends through May 18th.  Do you really think prospective athletes are going to wait on MU until exams are completed? 

Do note that the NBA Draft Combine is scheduled for May 11-15.  This could make it a little tricky for Wojo with respect to Henry as he weighs his final decision.  Might be tough for one of the Bigs to 'hang around and wait'.  Hopefully Henry is sensitive to that and can give Wojo a pretty clear path well in advance.

I doubt that the results of the NBA combine will effect Henry's decision.  It's a good bet that he won't participate. 

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
I agree that from a narrow definition this is true....but we dont know yet what the transfer situation is for this season...we definitely had transfers last season.  So TBD.

If the point was we are less volatile than with Buzz -- then the answer seems to be yes (again TBD).  Transfers are inevitable in today's college bball, but it bordered on excessive with Buzz because of his willingness to take flyers on HS students and his apparent candor.

jsglow

• All American
I doubt that the results of the NBA combine will effect Henry's decision.  It's a good bet that he won't participate.

I agree.  I don't think he'll go to Chicago and I really don't think he'll leave MU hanging at all, either way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I agree.  I don't think he'll go to Chicago and I really don't think he'll leave MU hanging at all, either way.

I'm not sure. I get the sense that he's not going to sign with an agent. I think its between staying and declaring without signing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I agree that from a narrow definition this is true....but we dont know yet what the transfer situation is for this season...we definitely had transfers last season.  So TBD.

If the point was we are less volatile than with Buzz -- then the answer seems to be yes (again TBD).  Transfers are inevitable in today's college bball, but it bordered on excessive with Buzz because of his willingness to take flyers on HS students and his apparent candor.

The big question for me will be what happens with Wojo's own recruits. If Sandy were to leave, I'd take it as a less volatile transfer than say Anim because while Sandy did recommit to Wojo, he was originally a Buzz guy, whereas Anim was all Wojo.

When you look around at the college game right now, there's only one team in the Sweet 16 (Wisconsin) that isn't getting major contributions from at least one senior. The best players this year are guys like Hield, Valentine, Brogdon, Johnson, and Ellis. I think while the one-and-done model can work for teams like Kentucky, coaches are starting to see the volatility in that model and realizing you need experience to sustain success.

That's where keeping guys like Anim around will be important, in my opinion. He may be a bit player now, but in 2019 he could very well be a key starter, even a star.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
The big question for me will be what happens with Wojo's own recruits. If Sandy were to leave, I'd take it as a less volatile transfer than say Anim because while Sandy did recommit to Wojo, he was originally a Buzz guy, whereas Anim was all Wojo.

When you look around at the college game right now, there's only one team in the Sweet 16 (Wisconsin) that isn't getting major contributions from at least one senior. The best players this year are guys like Hield, Valentine, Brogdon, Johnson, and Ellis. I think while the one-and-done model can work for teams like Kentucky, coaches are starting to see the volatility in that model and realizing you need experience to sustain success.

That's where keeping guys like Anim around will be important, in my opinion. He may be a bit player now, but in 2019 he could very well be a key starter, even a star.

Completely agree -- I think you explained what I was thinking by 'TBD'.  For example we seem to be going after PGs hard.  If this is because one of our is transferring, it would be a major disappointment in my mind because of what you describe above.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Completely agree -- I think you explained what I was thinking by 'TBD'.  For example we seem to be going after PGs hard.  If this is because one of our is transferring, it would be a major disappointment in my mind because of what you describe above.

When you look at the top seniors, almost all of them at least had significant roles as freshmen. That wasn't the case for all of our guys, but I do think as fourth year starters, Traci and Haanif could be akin to what Oklahoma has with Cousins and Hield.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
I think , if he declares, he will participate. Under the current system, you have the right to return, so you are really going to want to know where you stand. The only reason not to participate is if you have no intent on going back to school.

GGGG

• All American
I think , if he declares, he will participate. Under the current system, you have the right to return, so you are really going to want to know where you stand. The only reason not to participate is if you have no intent on going back to school.

You don't go to the combine if you think it can hamper your draft status.  You go if you think it will help.

If he is a projected top 10 pick, and has nowhere to go but down, he will likely skip it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Don't the top players jut go do direct work-outs with teams....thereby not needing the combine?  I would imagine HE would be in this situation.

Nukem2

• All American
Don't the top players jut go do direct work-outs with teams....thereby not needing the combine?  I would imagine HE would be in this situation.
Yep.. Wojo suggested as much on his radio show with Homer on Thursday.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Still no announced transfers.  Do you think MU is past the window that we would hear about one?  If we are not past the window, when do you think we are?  Remember, the longer a potential transfer goes without announcing, the less options they have as spots fill up.

If no one transfers out, then we are set with a full 13 scholarship roster for the first time in many years.   When was the last time we started a season with 13 scholarship players?  Was that also when Crean was the coach?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:54:02 PM by Heisenberg »

Marcus92

• All American
Do you think MU is past the window that we would hear about one?

I think it's definitely a good sign that nobody's announced a transfer. But I don't know that the window is ever closed. Jameel McKay transferred in October, just before the start of the season. Jeronne Maymon, Deonte Burton and John Dawson all transferred before the end of the first semester.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:43:23 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class

We need a Like button, mods.

#MakeItHappen
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
You are never past the window for a transfer. But it is encouraging. Still think we see one or two departures. Not necessarily transfers
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
You are never past the window for a transfer. But it is encouraging. Still think we see one or two departures. Not necessarily transfers

So other than Wally saying he is no longer going to play basketball, what is another example of what you are referring to?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
So other than Wally saying he is no longer going to play basketball, what is another example of what you are referring to?
Todd Mayo did not come back his Senior Year and elected to go to the D League.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Announced over the summer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

I thought the term was also Buzzcutting?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Buzzcutting
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:08:22 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

That one was fun, eenaia?

Dawson Rental

• All American
I thought the term was also Buzzcutting?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Buzzcutting

Under Buzz Williams, yes.  But the discussion was assuming that Buzz never had a transfer free year and was directed toward whether or not Crean ever had one.

jsglow

• All American

He may have elected to go to the D league but he didn't elect to leave Marquette.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
He may have elected to go to the D league but he didn't elect to leave Marquette.

Good Catch
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Yup.   

Tugg Speedman

• All American

I meant on this team right now.

We have 13 scholarship players so I have not even opened the 10 page thread about transfer options.  Until someone leaves, that thread is a waste of time and energy.

Now if Wally announces he is becoming a professional high jumper after the NCAA championship this June, that might open a spot (again, if that even happens).  Otherwise, what other non-transfer options exists among the other 12 scholarship players?

I don't see any.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

We have 13 scholarship players so I have not even opened the 10 page thread about transfer options.  Until someone leaves, that thread is a waste of time and energy.

Now if Wally announces he is becoming a professional high jumper after the NCAA championship this June, that might open a spot (again, if that even happens).  Otherwise, what other non-transfer options exists among the other 12 scholarship players?

I don't see any.

Something can always happen. Someone gets kicked off the team. Some get pole axed. Someone doesn't qualify academically. Someone goes pro overseas. Someone "loses their love for the game."
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days

I don't see any.

Don't know which thread but a few posters have insinuated that Duane has considered going overseas to play. Hope that doesn't happen and I am by no way spreading that rumor - just repeating what I have read on here.

Duane is a key guy for us - really hope he sticks it out and comes back next year hungry as ever.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Something can always happen. Someone gets kicked off the team. Some get pole axed. Someone doesn't qualify academically. Someone goes pro overseas. Someone "loses their love for the game."

You wrote this

I asked what that would be and you have nothing but made up guesses ... but you still think two more players on the roster now will not be this October?

Lennys Tap

• All American
Under Buzz Williams, yes.  But the discussion was assuming that Buzz never had a transfer free year and was directed toward whether or not Crean ever had one.

A bell rings in Chico's Bat Cave when anyone says a discouraging word about TC.

wadesworld

• All American

I don't see any.

So you won't open the transfer thread because until someone announced they are leaving the then it's a waste of time to speculate on who's leaving...but now you want to speculate on who's leaving in other forms besides transfer? I guess I don't get what the difference is, why one would be a waste of time/energy but why the other isn't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
So you won't open the transfer thread because until someone announced they are leaving the then it's a waste of time to speculate on who's leaving...but now you want to speculate on who's leaving in other forms besides transfer? I guess I don't get what the difference is, why one would be a waste of time/energy but why the other isn't.

No, TAMU said that.  I asked who/how and TAMU pulled something out of his arse ... kind of like that 10 page thread about getting someone for a position that, as of now, does not exist.

jesmu84

• All American

He hasnt opened that thread and won't engage in that discussion because he didn't start it. No clicks for him there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I said they wouldn't necessarily be transfers. I didn't say they wouldn't be transfers. I made a statement allowing for the possibility that someone might leave the team without transferring. Didn't say it would, said it could.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
MU has gone more than 365 days without a transfer.  Steve Taylor was the last transfer, announced on March 18, 2015. (He announced Cleveland State on May 17, 2015.)

Two questions:

1) Do you expect anyone to transfer this off-season?

2) Is the the first 365 day period without a transfer since Crean was in charge?  Am I forgetting a 365 day period under Buzz?

You literally started this thread on the topic of MU basketball transfers and in your original post ask if people expect a transfer this offseason. Then you go and say...

I don't see any.

And then you try to deny discussing player departures. Which maybe you didn't discuss them at all in here, I don't feel like reading every post in this thread to find out. But something tells me you probably discussed who may be leaving in this thread. So why are you wasting your time and energy if nothing's been announced? And if you didn't, why would you ask if others expect a departure and then get upset about other people discussing possible departures before someone announces their departure?

No, TAMU said that.  I asked who/how and TAMU pulled something out of his arse ... kind of like that 10 page thread about getting someone for a position that, as of now, does not exist.

You're on a roll. Keep going.

He hasnt opened that thread and won't engage in that discussion because he didn't start it. No clicks for him there.

Very true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
...GOWNE   TRACKER...

wadesworld

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Hank's gowne.

Marquette is too storied to have transfers, we just have gownes.

We R Final Four

• All American
So good Wades. Finally a season in forever with no transfers............wait we need some transfers soon!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

David Singleton

To say that Singleton was a "transfer" is akin to Nixon left office to pursue other opportunities...

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
You literally started this thread on the topic of MU basketball transfers and in your original post ask if people expect a transfer this offseason. Then you go and say...

And then you try to deny discussing player departures. Which maybe you didn't discuss them at all in here, I don't feel like reading every post in this thread to find out. But something tells me you probably discussed who may be leaving in this thread. So why are you wasting your time and energy if nothing's been announced? And if you didn't, why would you ask if others expect a departure and then get upset about other people discussing possible departures before someone announces their departure?

You're on a roll. Keep going.

Very true.

Those two posts were a month apart.  The issue of transfers changes over time.

wadesworld

• All American
Those two posts were a month apart.  The issue of transfers changes over time.

So then which 10 page thread on the topic of transfers are you not opening because it's a waste of time and energy to speculate on them until they are actually announced?

The Grad Transfer PF options that was started on February 1, 2016?  So things change over the course of a month, but not 2 and a half months?  Got it.

That's logical.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
So then which 10 page thread on the topic of transfers are you not opening because it's a waste of time and energy to speculate on them until they are actually announced?

The Grad Transfer PF options that was started on February 1, 2016?  So things change over the course of a month, but not 2 and a half months?  Got it.

That's logical.

I honestly don't know what you are asking me.