Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 28518 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2022, 03:24:38 PM »
Don't get triggered so easily. Live with the knowledge that you have better taste than they do. And when we are the better team in a year or two, let the MU memorabilia in your office do the talking for you.
that endless highlight video loop in the office lobby during their Finals appearance has left an ugly mark, bro. Haunts me to this day. The insufferable Badger fan. Ugh

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2022, 03:33:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm not easily triggered.  But they are relentless.  You know, like rodents tend to be.  And so arrogant.

And most of them are actually from the UW-Madison extension, not the UW-boonies.

Understand.

But fans everywhere are relentless. Go down to SEC country during football season for a taste. But, yeah - UW fans are as bad as any.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2022, 03:40:27 PM »
I think it’s beyond sports too. I remember making my college decision. As someone who had decent grades and lived in Wisconsin the expectation was you go to UW. Even teachers asking “Well, why wouldn’t you go to Madison?” Almost making you justify your decision.

A tech school grad once asked me "Why did you go to Marquette?  Twice the price for half the education (of Wisconsin)!"

He was being dead serious.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2022, 03:52:49 PM »
I think it’s beyond sports too. I remember making my college decision. As someone who had decent grades and lived in Wisconsin the expectation was you go to UW. Even teachers asking “Well, why wouldn’t you go to Madison?” Almost making you justify your decision.

Exactly.  If you live in Wisconsin and don't have ties to Marquette, everyone is stunned and offended if you don't live and die by Badger football (especially) and basketball.  It's absurd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2022, 04:43:48 PM »
Understand.

But fans everywhere are relentless. Go down to SEC country during football season for a taste. But, yeah - UW fans are as bad as any.

I assume there are levels of asshatness  Jockey among fan bases.  As others have pointed out this goes well beyond the sports teams, certainly exists at a number of schools, and permeates many campuses.

With regards to Wisconsin it would be interesting to compare some of the top State schools and their vibe like Virginia, UCLA, UNC, California, Mich etc.  It's possible success in sports has exacerbated for some their douchebaggery and hubris. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2022, 06:06:28 PM »
I assume there are levels of asshatness  Jockey among fan bases.  As others have pointed out this goes well beyond the sports teams, certainly exists at a number of schools, and permeates many campuses.

With regards to Wisconsin it would be interesting to compare some of the top State schools and their vibe like Virginia, UCLA, UNC, California, Mich etc.  It's possible success in sports has exacerbated for some their douchebaggery and hubris.

I fully believe that Wisconsin is no different than Alabama, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. Mostly rural without much going on except the state football/basketball team. I've not seen university obsession in places like the Northeast, Illinois, California, Colorado or Texas.  Crazy fandom, especially by non-alums, seems typical in states like Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc.

I'm not making a value judgment about it, just the way it is.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2022, 06:20:28 PM »
I fully believe that Wisconsin is no different than Alabama, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. Mostly rural without much going on except the state football/basketball team. I've not seen university obsession in places like the Northeast, Illinois, California, Colorado or Texas.  Crazy fandom, especially by non-alums, seems typical in states like Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc.

I went to college in Ohio.  I saw the Buckeye fervor first hand.  Knew tons of MAC alumni and current students who would root against their own school if they played OSU in football or basketball or would skip games to prep for an OSU broadcast.  Not to mention the legions of OSU fans with jerseys from Target or the like.  Walmart Wolverines are much the same in Michigan I’m sure.  And definitely in SEC country.

The main difference between them and Wisconsin that I’ve experienced is that non-alumni Wisconsin fans have this bizarre infatuation with how INCREDIBLE UW is as an institution.  The Ohio State fans couldn’t care less about the academics as long as Day and the Boys win on Saturday, but it always comes up in Wisconsin arguments whether it be recruiting, or digs at Marquette or other B10 institutions

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2022, 06:43:30 PM »
I went to college in Ohio.  I saw the Buckeye fervor first hand.  Knew tons of MAC alumni and current students who would root against their own school if they played OSU in football or basketball or would skip games to prep for an OSU broadcast.  Not to mention the legions of OSU fans with jerseys from Target or the like.  Walmart Wolverines are much the same in Michigan I’m sure.  And definitely in SEC country.

The main difference between them and Wisconsin that I’ve experienced is that non-alumni Wisconsin fans have this bizarre infatuation with how INCREDIBLE UW is as an institution.  The Ohio State fans couldn’t care less about the academics as long as Day and the Boys win on Saturday, but it always comes up in Wisconsin arguments whether it be recruiting, or digs at Marquette or other B10 institutions

Very interesting observation JWags and I would agree with you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2022, 07:36:25 PM »

That’s the great thing about the Ivy League.  If it wasn’t for that league, a lot of people rejected by Madison would have to go to Minnesota or Iowa
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2022, 07:54:49 PM »

I'm mostly in agreement with you, but it varies within areas of a state and from one school to another within a state. For example, residents in a metro area like Kansas City have a pro FB team they are devoted to. My guess is that college basketball is of limited interest to them, but maybe not.

Northern Virginia has... whatever the team's name is now... for pro football and the DC area and its residents live in their own, very private little world. They really do not care about Virginia or Maryland much outside the beltway. As you go west in Virginia, Virginia Tech fans are everywhere. In Richmond, UVA alums refer to their school simply as "the" university. Outside of Charlottesville and Richmond, I doubt that many people cared about UVA's natty. Just a guess, but I suspect the Virginia narrative I just presented could be rescripted for many other states.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2022, 08:06:43 PM »
That’s the great thing about the Ivy League.  If it wasn’t for that league, a lot of people rejected by Madison would have to go to Minnesota or Iowa

Lol.  I think this is part of the problem.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2022, 06:20:40 AM »

Culture.  UW fans are taught to believe that UW is the best school in the midwest from a very young age.  It is, by all metrics, a great school to attend, but as with many things, culture plays a huge factor.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2022, 07:25:44 AM »
Culture.  UW fans are taught to believe that UW is the best school in the midwest from a very young age.  It is, by all metrics, a great school to attend, but as with many things, culture plays a huge factor.

It’s the same culture that proudly puts foam cheese on their heads and thinks 7 DUI’s is something to be proud of

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2022, 07:26:24 AM »
It’s the same culture that proudly puts foam cheese on their heads and thinks 7 DUI’s is something to be proud of

Every state has their own problems.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2022, 07:39:52 AM »
Every state has their own problems.

That was a shot at Badgers fans

1SE

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2022, 08:11:01 AM »
That was a shot at Badgers fans

From an academic standpoint, UW is probably the 3rd best school in the BIG14 after UMich and NW. But it's a much bigger gap between them and those two than it is between them and the others on their tier (like OSU, ILL, UMN).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2022, 08:29:08 AM »
My favorite is my UW-directional school friends consider themselves as “graduating  from Wisconsin”. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2022, 08:37:08 AM »
From an academic standpoint, UW is probably the 3rd best school in the BIG14 after UMich and NW. But it's a much bigger gap between them and those two than it is between them and the others on their tier (like OSU, ILL, UMN).

A real quick google search shows UW number 42 in the US news rankings, and Illinois 47.  That seems pretty close.  Northwestern was 9.  Not so close. 

Northwestern is pretty elite academically.  Wisconsin isn't in the same category. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2022, 08:38:27 AM »

It's a much more nuanced discussion but I would say Illinois is very comparable to Wisconsin.  Also, as a whole, the gap between Northwestern and  the presumed 2, 3, 4, schools is probably greater than the gap between 2-4 and everyone else.  And this has very little to do with the "rankings".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:40:48 AM by MuggsyB »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »
Scoop needs a staff psychologist.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2022, 08:44:44 AM »
It's a much more nuanced discussion but I would say Illinois is very comparable to Wisconsin.  Also, as a whole, the gap between Northwestern and  the presumed 2, 3, 4, schools is probably greater than the gap between 2-4 and everyone else.  And this has very little to do with the "rankings".

Hahaha, yeah, I agree, I just wanted something more than "Wisconsin is closer to Northwestern than Illinois???? Are you serious????"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2022, 08:47:39 AM »
A real quick google search shows UW number 42 in the US news rankings, and Illinois 47.  That seems pretty close.  Northwestern was 9.  Not so close. 

Northwestern is pretty elite academically.  Wisconsin isn't in the same category. 

Sure. But they are completely different types of schools so of course they are ranked differently.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2022, 08:54:47 AM »

Sure. But they are completely different types of schools so of course they are ranked differently.

100% correct but I just think Buck was comparing the rankings within the B14 and they're similar minus NW.  A pianist or violinist at the Curtis School of Music is at a better school than Harvard, Princeton, and MIT combined for their skillset.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
100% correct but I just think Buck was comparing the rankings within the B14 and they're similar minus NW.  A pianist or violinist at the Curtis School of Music is at a better school than Harvard, Princeton, and MIT combined for their skillset.

Maybe. Depends on the student.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2022, 09:03:50 AM »
Maybe. Depends on the student.

It presumably could  turn out worse.   For example, if they don't go into the field of music or have a psychological breakdown.  However, since they go there specifically to become classical and trained musicians, and to work  in those fields, the students aren't there for other academic endeavors.