collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 70372 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #450 on: November 23, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »
MU friend of mine who found out 2 days ago he has COVID sent an email to me and a couple others in our group of buds ...

It's interesting (and a little scary) to experience how this virus progresses throughout the body. I know it can be different for others however for myself -

Last night the headache finally dissipated (thank God) That was the worse. (imagine a migraine on steroids for 2 days straight) so so so painful. Still having temp swings - my body moves from teeth chattering chills to overheating swings hourly. Diarrhea started this AM, along with some painful cramping of joints. Coughing has kicked in but not severe as of yet.

Shortness of breath (which is scary) is definitely present accompanied by an overall sense of fatigue and fogginess (like walking around with a fish bowl on your head). Took 20 minutes to walk the 200 feet up to the mailbox.

No taste or smell - which is actually ok with me cause if food supplies run low I could probably tolerate the Broccoli in the freezer as a last resort (cant stand Broccoli ).

Heading back to bed , Be safe , take care of each other, it can get rough out there.

The virus really is kind of crazy. I was talking to one of my students who just recovered from it today. 19 years old, super fit.

Went to bed on a Thursday night after working out for 2-hours. Felt great no symptoms. He woke up the next morning feeling crappy. By lunch, he had a high fever and body aches. Tried to drive himself to get tested, but had to pull over and call his roommate to get him (roommate had COVID about a month ago). He couldn't drive because he was so dizzy...obviously COVID positive (test confirmed).

Spent the next 48-hours in what he described as the most agonizing body pain, and high fever. Said the pain was so bad he thought about going to the ER several times. Dizziness so bad that walking to the bathroom was hard.

Symptoms started to resolve after 72 hours and was back to mostly normal within a week.

His story highlighted two things to me. 1) Why it spreads so easily, he went from symptom free and feeling good/strong enough to do a 2+ hour workout with no issues, to as he described it "sicker than he's ever been" 12ish hours later. 2) It does not discriminate on age. He's 19, no risk factors and it leveled him. 2-weeks out now and he says his energy levels are maybe 50% of normal.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #451 on: November 23, 2020, 09:14:38 PM »
Update... Other than night sweats, I am feeling in the vicinity of normal.
Congrats, good to hear.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #452 on: November 24, 2020, 10:44:38 AM »
Following up on my earlier post, my GF spoke with her doctor. You can obviously shed the COVID virus for far longer than the virus is contagious or affecting you. Many of these antibody/antigen tests pick that up. So it’s not necessarily a false positive, but it’s picking up dead/dying virus on its way out. If symptoms arose, then proceed with caution, but otherwise she was assured she was fine, great that she had strong antibodies, and to carry on

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #453 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »
Just found out my Uncle Mike (technically my mom's first cousin) is in the hospital on a ventilator with COVID.  My cousin said he's fighting but who knows.

Just got word my uncle passed away this morning from COVID.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #454 on: November 24, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »
Blessings and prayers to your family.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #455 on: November 24, 2020, 11:57:54 AM »
So sorry MUfan.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #456 on: November 24, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »
Sorry for your loss
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #457 on: November 24, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

Very sorry to hear.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #458 on: November 24, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Following up on my earlier post, my GF spoke with her doctor. You can obviously shed the COVID virus for far longer than the virus is contagious or affecting you. Many of these antibody/antigen tests pick that up. So it’s not necessarily a false positive, but it’s picking up dead/dying virus on its way out. If symptoms arose, then proceed with caution, but otherwise she was assured she was fine, great that she had strong antibodies, and to carry on

Good to hear. Hope she is able to have a safe and happy visit with her sister.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #459 on: November 24, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
Sorry for your loss CT...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #460 on: November 24, 2020, 12:40:59 PM »

Sad to hear that, MUFIC. My condolences.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #461 on: November 24, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »
I would love to know from all the people catching Covid and/or having severe symptoms .. what their Vitamin D levels are, and whether they were taking supplemental D.

There's an avalanche of studies on the benefits of Vitamin D and COVID, and I keep wondering how much that gets through to everyone.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #462 on: November 24, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
I would love to know from all the people catching Covid and/or having severe symptoms .. what their Vitamin D levels are, and whether they were taking supplemental D.

There's an avalanche of studies on the benefits of Vitamin D and COVID, and I keep wondering how much that gets through to everyone.

Through supplements alone (not counting diet) I'm taking 4400 IU of D3.

What about others?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #463 on: November 24, 2020, 03:00:59 PM »

What about others?

3000 IU
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #464 on: November 24, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »

What about others?
I shake a few drops of D3 into each of my alcoholic beverages. Considering the dramatic increase in my consumption since COVID hit I'm worried I might be ODing on the D3.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #465 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »

What about others?

3200 IU.

Pre-Covid I was taking 1200 IU through a daily multivitamin. Recently I added a 2000 IU D3 supplement.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:05:58 PM by GooooMarquette »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #466 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »

3200 IU.

Pre-Covid I was taking 1200 IU through a daily multivitamin. Recently I added a 2000 IU D3 supplement.

My multi only has 200 IU.

I was taking 1 additional D3 tablet at 2000IU. Since summer, I've doubled that.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #467 on: November 24, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
We are doing 125 mcg which is apparently equal to 5,000 IU.  Have been for about three months now since I learned Vit D levels were important for covid.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #468 on: November 24, 2020, 03:59:37 PM »
I have been taking vitamin D by prescription for awhile due to osteoporosis, for years I have tested very low. I just looked at my calcium, multi-vitamin, and my supplement. In summer it’s 3800, in winter my doctor tells me to double the supplement, so it’s 5800.
Thankfully, this past January I tested at normal level, for the first time in years.....
I made a point of walking outside everyday since spring, so that may have been a benefit as well.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #469 on: November 24, 2020, 04:44:51 PM »
I have been taking vitamin D by prescription for awhile due to osteoporosis, for years I have tested very low. I just looked at my calcium, multi-vitamin, and my supplement. In summer it’s 3800, in winter my doctor tells me to double the supplement, so it’s 5800.
Thankfully, this past January I tested at normal level, for the first time in years.....
I made a point of walking outside everyday since spring, so that may have been a benefit as well.

Where do you live?   Because it seems that at this time of year if you are north of, well, :

Except during the summer months, the skin makes little if any vitamin D from the sun at latitudes above 37 degrees north (in the United States, the shaded region in the map) or below 37 degrees south of the equator. People who live in these areas are at relatively greater risk for vitamin D deficiency.
Ludum habemus.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #470 on: November 24, 2020, 05:38:48 PM »
Chicago. I know it is only a benefit in the summer and maybe early fall months, but I’ll take what I can get.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #471 on: November 24, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »
I get Vitamin D in my multivitamin and my calcium supplement.  I have also been getting plenty of sun (especially here in Las Vegas).
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #472 on: November 24, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
According to this commentary in the New England Journal of Medicine, typical caucasians actually do synthesize a good amount of Vitamin D3 in northern climates during the summertime. The dramatic difference only occurs in winter.

https://www.jwatch.org/jd201006040000002/2010/06/04/how-much-sunlight-equivalent-vitamin-d

At noon in Miami, someone with Fitzpatrick skin type III [caucasian skin that is susceptible to both tanning and burning] would require 6 minutes to synthesize 1000 IU of vitamin D in the summer.... At noon in the summer in Boston, necessary exposure times approximate those in Miami....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #473 on: November 24, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
According to this commentary in the New England Journal of Medicine, typical caucasians actually do synthesize a good amount of Vitamin D3 in northern climates during the summertime. The dramatic difference only occurs in winter.

https://www.jwatch.org/jd201006040000002/2010/06/04/how-much-sunlight-equivalent-vitamin-d

At noon in Miami, someone with Fitzpatrick skin type III [caucasian skin that is susceptible to both tanning and burning] would require 6 minutes to synthesize 1000 IU of vitamin D in the summer.... At noon in the summer in Boston, necessary exposure times approximate those in Miami....

On the other hand, I have heard that there are parents that are so obsessed with slathering their kids with sunscreen that cases of rickets have spiked.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #474 on: November 24, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
On the other hand, I have heard that there are parents that are so obsessed with slathering their kids with sunscreen that cases of rickets have spiked.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Still, if it only takes 6 minutes to get 1000 IU without sunscreen, you could still probably get a few hundred IU if you're out for an hour or two with sunscreen.