collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90640 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #625 on: November 04, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
Born in 1984, all the major franchises I am a fan of have now won a championship in my lifetime. Unfortunately, I have no actual knowledge of the Bears, but at least I got to watch them in a Super Bowl (stupid Grossman and Ron Turner). Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs are all easily-recalled memories. Hope the Bears can win on before I die.

The only big lacking one is US Men's soccer. I don't expect them to come close ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #626 on: November 04, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
A variety of points from a non-Cubbie fan but long-time Cubbie (and baseball) observer:

1. Cubs were the best team all season, and it really wasn't very close. They were built beautifully by Theo, from the front office and manager on down. Very balanced: pitching, hitting, fielding, the whole nine yards. Seemed to have a very good "team personality," too -- guys liked each other, picked each other up when necessary, etc. This should serve them well for many years.

2. Maddon overmanages sometimes, did so quite often during the postseason and really had a pretty crappy Game 7. It reminded me of LaRussa's occasional inability to keep his hands off. But, like LaRussa, I'll take Maddon every day of the week. It doesn't take a genius to do a double-switch. The most important part of managing is dealing with the egos, and he is wonderful at that.

3. Those who love the Cubs but hate abusive people had the perfect storm in Game 7. Chapman sucked and actually was reduced to tears, but the Cubs still won.

4. So right about Yan Gomes. Terrible that he was on the roster, terrible that he was in the game, and that was a particularly terrible, terrible, terrible at-bat that let Chapman off the hook. I also didn't like the pinch-hitter that Francona used at the end of the game. Awful player; amazing he's on an MLB roster. Like Maddon, though, I'll take Francona every day.

5. As soon as Chapman retired the side 1-2-3 in the ninth, I knew the Cubs were going to win. They had the heart of their lineup coming up in the 10th, and the Indians' staff was gassed. Hayward's speech and the rain delay ... it's fun to talk about stuff like that, but it came down to a tired, good-but-not-great pitcher going against some great hitters.

6. Schwarber ... now THAT'S a great story.

7. As I said, I'm no Cubs fan. I really couldn't have cared if they had won or lost. But as with the Cavs, it's nice to see something that never happens, happen. Also, my son still lives in Chicago and is a huge Cubbie fan, so I'm happy for him.

8. Best series I ever saw in person was Twins-Braves '91. That produced several amazing games, including the best meaningful game I ever saw in person - Game 7. (I make the "meaningful" caveat because we've all seen a lot of great regular-season games in every sport; it's the great moments that happen when the stakes are the highest that we really remember.)

9. My first major sportswriting assignment was the 1982 ALCS (Brewers-Angels) and World Series (Brewers-Cardinals), so those have special personal appeal to me.

10. The most incredible half-hour of sports that I ever witnessed personally came in the 2003 NLCS, Game 6, 8th inning. Never had seen anything like it and almost surely never will again.

11. Otherwise, I've seen so many great World Series games on TV that it's hard to rank them. Certainly, the Fisk game was memorable. As was the Cardinals-Rangers game referenced earlier. Etc, etc, etc. Just so many. Somebody mentioned the Mazeroski game in 1960 -- that happened the day I was born, and I have a great baseball card commemorating that game with the date highlighted.

12. I'm happy for all the Scoopers who have been living and dying (mostly dying) with the Cubbies for years. But I don't really give a damn about all the Cubbie-come-latelies who glommed onto this team this season.

13. Two years ago, if you had asked me if the Cubs could win the 2016 World Series, I would have said, "Yeah, sure. And Donald Trump can win the effen White House."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #627 on: November 04, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
A variety of points from a non-Cubbie fan but long-time Cubbie (and baseball) observer:

2. Maddon overmanages sometimes, did so quite often during the postseason and really had a pretty crappy Game 7. It reminded me of LaRussa's occasional inability to keep his hands off. But, like LaRussa, I'll take Maddon every day of the week. It doesn't take a genius to do a double-switch. The most important part of managing is dealing with the egos, and he is wonderful at that.

The Maddon-LaRussa game management is a good comparison. I like Maddon a lot as a manager but he does occasionally get a little too cute trying to prove how ahead of the curve he is.

3. Those who love the Cubs but hate abusive people had the perfect storm in Game 7. Chapman sucked and actually was reduced to tears, but the Cubs still won.

+1 When the Cubs traded for Chapman, I said that I'd be very happy to see him blow the save but the Cubs win in extras.

In an odd, unexpected turn, since the Cubs traded for Chapman, donations to Chicago area domestic violence organizations have increased significantly. Likely Cubs fans trying to pay off their guilt for cheering on Chapman.

4. So right about Yan Gomes. Terrible that he was on the roster, terrible that he was in the game, and that was a particularly terrible, terrible, terrible at-bat that let Chapman off the hook. I also didn't like the pinch-hitter that Francona used at the end of the game. Awful player; amazing he's on an MLB roster. Like Maddon, though, I'll take Francona every day.

Martinez wasn't actually a pinch-hitter. He was brought into the game in the 9th to replace Chisenhall in RF. Cleveland had no one left on the bench at that point.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #629 on: November 04, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »
Martinez wasn't actually a pinch-hitter. He was brought into the game in the 9th to replace Chisenhall in RF. Cleveland had no one left on the bench at that point.

I sit corrected. Thanks.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #630 on: November 04, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

Specifically in regards to Maddon, I take him all day, everyday as the manager of the team.  That being said, he let the moment get to him too much in games 6 and 7. 

In regards to game 6, you can make an argument for taking Arrieta out (although I disagreed with it).  However, bringing Chapman back out to start the 9th and not having someone else up to close out a 7 run lead was bad. 

He also great overreacted by taking Hendricks out of game 7.  He was getting stronger as they game had progressed and the only reason there was a guy on 1st base is because the ump missed an extremely obvious strike 3.  Lester pitched really well after the wild pitch but I thought Hendricks was looking really good at that point. 

I'm ecstatic things worked out but there were definitely some very questionable decisions in terms of pitching changes in games 6 and 7, and I'm not usually one who makes a habit of second-guessing those moves. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #631 on: November 04, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

1. Cubs were the best team all season, and it really wasn't very close. They were built beautifully by Theo, from the front office and manager on down. Very balanced: pitching, hitting, fielding, the whole nine yards. Seemed to have a very good "team personality," too -- guys liked each other, picked each other up when necessary, etc. This should serve them well for many years.

5. As soon as Chapman retired the side 1-2-3 in the ninth, I knew the Cubs were going to win. They had the heart of their lineup coming up in the 10th, and the Indians' staff was gassed. Hayward's speech and the rain delay ... it's fun to talk about stuff like that, but it came down to a tired, good-but-not-great pitcher going against some great hitters.

6. Schwarber ... now THAT'S a great story.

7. As I said, I'm no Cubs fan. I really couldn't have cared if they had won or lost. But as with the Cavs, it's nice to see something that never happens, happen. Also, my son still lives in Chicago and is a huge Cubbie fan, so I'm happy for him.

8. Best series I ever saw in person was Twins-Braves '91. That produced several amazing games, including the best meaningful game I ever saw in person - Game 7. (I make the "meaningful" caveat because we've all seen a lot of great regular-season games in every sport; it's the great moments that happen when the stakes are the highest that we really remember.)

9. My first major sportswriting assignment was the 1982 ALCS (Brewers-Angels) and World Series (Brewers-Cardinals), so those have special personal appeal to me.

10. The most incredible half-hour of sports that I ever witnessed personally came in the 2003 NLCS, Game 6, 8th inning. Never had seen anything like it and almost surely never will again.

11. Otherwise, I've seen so many great World Series games on TV that it's hard to rank them. Certainly, the Fisk game was memorable. As was the Cardinals-Rangers game referenced earlier. Etc, etc, etc. Just so many. Somebody mentioned the Mazeroski game in 1960 -- that happened the day I was born, and I have a great baseball card commemorating that game with the date highlighted.

12. I'm happy for all the Scoopers who have been living and dying (mostly dying) with the Cubbies for years. But I don't really give a damn about all the Cubbie-come-latelies who glommed onto this team this season.

13. Two years ago, if you had asked me if the Cubs could win the 2016 World Series, I would have said, "Yeah, sure. And Donald Trump can win the effen White House."

I have only been to two World Series games: October 8, 1956 and October 13, 1960. I was only 9 when Don Larsen pitched his perfect game at the Stadium. My cousin was a Pittsburgh native and I saw Mazeroski break my heart; my cousin was estatic to say the least.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #632 on: November 04, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
He also great overreacted by taking Hendricks out of game 7.  He was getting stronger as they game had progressed and the only reason there was a guy on 1st base is because the ump missed an extremely obvious strike 3.  Lester pitched really well after the wild pitch but I thought Hendricks was looking really good at that point.

Not just that, but the run Hendricks allowed wasn't at all his fault. He made pitch after pitch and just didn't get the defense that is usually great behind him. And he was still at what, 2 hits and 1 run when he got pulled?

Let Hendricks finish the inning that should have been over, then bring Lester in clean. For all the talk about giving Lester a clean introduction, it was crazy that they brought him in with a runner on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
Not just that, but the run Hendricks allowed wasn't at all his fault. He made pitch after pitch and just didn't get the defense that is usually great behind him. And he was still at what, 2 hits and 1 run when he got pulled?

Let Hendricks finish the inning that should have been over, then bring Lester in clean. For all the talk about giving Lester a clean introduction, it was crazy that they brought him in with a runner on.

Yep.  It shows that a moment of that magnitude can get to the best of people.  I would have understood more if Hendricks had been laboring, but he was in the f'n zone.  And even though we won I'm still annoyed about that missed strike 3.   :D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #634 on: November 04, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »
Specifically in regards to Maddon, I take him all day, everyday as the manager of the team.  That being said, he let the moment get to him too much in games 6 and 7. 

In regards to game 6, you can make an argument for taking Arrieta out (although I disagreed with it).  However, bringing Chapman back out to start the 9th and not having someone else up to close out a 7 run lead was bad. 

I'm ecstatic things worked out but there were definitely some very questionable decisions in terms of pitching changes in games 6 and 7, and I'm not usually one who makes a habit of second-guessing those moves.

Maddon is a better manager than Ozzie Guillen ever was or ever will be. But I still am very impressed by the way Ozzie resisted making the automatic call to the bullpen in the 2005 postseason. In the ALCS, the White Sox won on 4 complete games. Think about that: 4 straight complete games. And we're not talking about the '40s or '60s; that was only a few years ago, when automatic bullpen calls already were prevalent. In the World Series, Ozzie only went to the bullpen when absolutely necessary. It was textbook managing for the situation instead of "we have a reliever so I'm going to use him" mentality that is so popular now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #635 on: November 04, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
Yep.  It shows that a moment of that magnitude can get to the best of people.  I would have understood more if Hendricks had been laboring, but he was in the f'n zone.  And even though we won I'm still annoyed about that missed strike 3.   :D

Meanwhile, I had some guy on Twitter trying to put me on blast for not acknowledging that the umps were doing everything in their power to hand the series to the Cubs.

Yeah...because the umps handed them games 1, 3, and 4. There were questionable calls both ways, but that's just how it goes. Maybe the Cubs got the better of it in the end, but that doesn't mean they didn't get screwed at moments too.

Regardless, love the result and wish I could have been down there today.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
Maddon is a better manager than Ozzie Guillen ever was or ever will be. But I still am very impressed by the way Ozzie resisted making the automatic call to the bullpen in the 2005 postseason. In the ALCS, the White Sox won on 4 complete games. Think about that: 4 straight complete games. And we're not talking about the '40s or '60s; that was only a few years ago, when automatic bullpen calls already were prevalent. In the World Series, Ozzie only went to the bullpen when absolutely necessary. It was textbook managing for the situation instead of "we have a reliever so I'm going to use him" mentality that is so popular now.

I believe they said the was the first World Series where no starter completed more than 6 innings in any game, which is nuts. And there were some very well pitched games by Kluber, Lester,  Arrieta and Hendricks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #638 on: November 04, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »
I sit corrected. Thanks.

Kinda hard ta stand erected, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #639 on: November 04, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Lost in all of this (or perhaps not, I didn't read the whole thread)...

Zemeckis was only off by one year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »

Michael J. Fox tweeted about it afterwards.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #641 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »

Not necessarily. An unintended consequence of Marty not racing Needles pushed the Cubs Series back a year, but they never returned to 2015 to verify.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #642 on: November 05, 2016, 10:06:14 AM »

1994 strike threw him off. Otherwise he had it nailed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #643 on: November 06, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »

Didn't he get Miami right also in BTF2?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #644 on: November 07, 2016, 06:08:05 AM »

The Cubs swept Miami in five, though their logo was an alligator and they were an AL team.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #645 on: November 07, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #646 on: November 07, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »
The Cubs were all over SNL this weekend including sing "Go Cubs Go" with Bill Murray.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #647 on: November 07, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »
1994 strike threw him off. Otherwise he had it nailed.

Right you are... indeed, Robert Zemeckis (actually, the writer Bob Gale) was only off by one year (and one team) when Back to the Future II foretold of the Cubs eventual achievement… or was he?  Although Back to the Future II was released in 1989, the main characters’ timeline still originated in 1985.  So as written – from the point of view of Doc and Marty – there would be 29 more World Series champions crowned before the Cubs would finally see the mountaintop again. 

As it turns out, only 29 World Series champions have been crowned between 1985 and the Cubs this year.  How?  Not even Doc and Marty could have predicted that the 1994 MLB Strike would have caused the postseason to be cancelled that year.

However, this is not the first time life has imitated art in baseball… in another example involving the very same Cleveland Indians: most astute Brewers fans will recall that Major League - also released in 1989 - was filmed predominantly in Milwaukee, and Milwaukee County Stadium, which was filled by thousands of Brewer fan extras, played the part of the Indians’ home field (Cleveland Municipal).  In 2007, due to early season weather complications, Cleveland was forced to play three of its home games in Milwaukee, where thousands of Brewers fans, once again, filled the stadium again to cheer on the Indians.

And to tie it all together, in Major League, the former-showgirl owner of the Indians, Rachel Phelps, was attempting to relocate the franchise to Miami, the same city whose team was foretold to have lost to the Cubs in 2015 in Back to the Future II.  Of course, while the real-life Miami and Chicago Cubs – both NL teams – could never meet in the World Series, consider that in the world of cinema, had Ms. Phelps been successful in her endeavors, Miami would have been an AL team making it possible for Miami and the Cubs to face off in Back to the Future II, where the Cubs would have actually defeated the Indians' franchise.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #648 on: November 07, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
Right you are... indeed, Robert Zemeckis (actually, the writer Bob Gale) was only off by one year (and one team) when Back to the Future II foretold of the Cubs eventual achievement… or was he?  Although Back to the Future II was released in 1989, the main characters’ timeline still originated in 1985.  So as written – from the point of view of Doc and Marty – there would be 29 more World Series champions crowned before the Cubs would finally see the mountaintop again. 

As it turns out, only 29 World Series champions have been crowned between 1985 and the Cubs this year.  How?  Not even Doc and Marty could have predicted that the 1994 MLB Strike would have caused the postseason to be cancelled that year.

However, this is not the first time life has imitated art in baseball… in another example involving the very same Cleveland Indians: most astute Brewers fans will recall that Major League - also released in 1989 - was filmed predominantly in Milwaukee, and Milwaukee County Stadium, which was filled by thousands of Brewer fan extras, played the part of the Indians’ home field (Cleveland Municipal).  In 2007, due to early season weather complications, Cleveland was forced to play three of its home games in Milwaukee, where thousands of Brewers fans, once again, filled the stadium again to cheer on the Indians.

And to tie it all together, in Major League, the former-showgirl owner of the Indians, Rachel Phelps, was attempting to relocate the franchise to Miami, the same city whose team was foretold to have lost to the Cubs in 2015 in Back to the Future II.  Of course, while the real-life Miami and Chicago Cubs – both NL teams – could never meet in the World Series, consider that in the world of cinema, had Ms. Phelps been successful in her endeavors, Miami would have been an AL team making it possible for Miami and the Cubs to face off in Back to the Future II, where the Cubs would have actually defeated the Indians' franchise.

I'm on board.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #649 on: November 07, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »

Back to the Future it is!