collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 97851 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2023?
« Reply #1200 on: December 07, 2023, 09:12:54 AM »
I recently watched a few episodes of "All in the Family", and there is no effing way that show would be aired today.

Not with the exact same language, but the same themes certainly. Especially on something other than the networks.

The show pilloried racists, and that would play - and has played - in these times.

Flip it around, and there is no effing way that 95% (or more) of what is aired today on Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc, would have been aired in 1972 on CBS, ABC or NBC.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: December 07, 2023, 11:42:49 AM »
Anyone watching The Curse on Showtime? 3 episodes in, I love it and I hate it. If you’re not into Nathan Fielder’s comedy, it’s not for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: December 08, 2023, 05:55:59 PM »
Scrooge.

Carol Kane had the best 10 minutes in two movies in the same year as any actor ever.

Scrooged and Princess Bride.

Shoot, not the same year.   Never mind.

Tony Steedman had a couple great scene stealing roles, with Scrooged and Bill & Ted.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:27:21 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: December 09, 2023, 01:42:01 PM »
Scrooge.

Carol Kane had the best 10 minutes in two movies in the same year as any actor ever.

Scrooged and Princess Bride.

Shoot, not the same year.   Never mind.

Tony Steedman had a couple great scene stealing roles, with Scrooged and Bill & Ted.

Been curious, does the quote button not work on your device?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: December 09, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
Been curious, does the quote button not work on your device?

"Yes"
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: December 09, 2023, 02:14:27 PM »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: December 23, 2023, 08:47:35 PM »
Anyone watching season 5 of Fargo? In the beginning of each episode it says it’s a true story. Is it really? I find that very hard to believe. Great season so far but I feel like the story would’ve made national news cuz it’s so wild
Bring back FFP!!!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: December 23, 2023, 10:31:46 PM »
Anyone watching season 5 of Fargo? In the beginning of each episode it says it’s a true story. Is it really? I find that very hard to believe. Great season so far but I feel like the story would’ve made national news cuz it’s so wild

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1208 on: December 23, 2023, 10:46:21 PM »

It’s “based on a true story”.  ::)

That truth is that the state of Minnesota does, in fact, exist.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: December 24, 2023, 01:51:01 PM »
Saltburn on Amazon is a hell of a watch.  Some Talented Mr Ripley vibes, dark and twisting, but some very well acted work.  Barry Keoghan is about to become a mega star IMO.  He's been well regarded but I think he's about to become a household name.  He just has such a commanding presence and diversity to his roles.

Alternatively, halfway through the final season of the Crown.  Well done and uniquely accurate as always.  Elizabeth Debicki was a FANTASTIC casting for Diana and continues to be stellar.  Granted I was only a teen when she passed, but she really seems to have nailed the aesthetic, cadence, and presence from everything I remember seeing.  But that being said, for as precise and historically focused that the show is, its fairly distracting seeing her tower over EVERYONE.  I know she's 6'3 but the industry has been using tricks to even up heights forever, Tom Cruise has a career because of it.  Khalid Abdalla was a tremendous casting for Dodi as well tho

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: December 24, 2023, 03:56:24 PM »
Black Bird on Apple+ is outstanding.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: December 24, 2023, 11:11:23 PM »
Saltburn on Amazon is a hell of a watch.  Some Talented Mr Ripley vibes, dark and twisting, but some very well acted work.  Barry Keoghan is about to become a mega star IMO.  He's been well regarded but I think he's about to become a household name.  He just has such a commanding presence and diversity to his roles.

I’ll agree with you re Barry Keoghan’s performance but I didn’t like the movie. Everyone in it was disturbing, perverted, vapid, vile or some combination thereof. I like my protagonists to be complex but there was nobody in this movie even a little bit worth rooting for. Stylish, yes. Believable, real, moving or even interesting? Not to me.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: December 26, 2023, 12:00:44 PM »
I recently watched a few episodes of "All in the Family", and there is no effing way that show would be aired today.

I have dvds of the Amos n Andy show.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: December 27, 2023, 11:30:26 AM »
I just finished all 3 seasons of Slow Horses on Apple

Really good spy show. Each season is based off 1 book. IMO all seasons have been better than the previous so far.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: December 27, 2023, 12:10:51 PM »

Really good spy show. Each season is based off 1 book. IMO all seasons have been better than the previous so far.

Good show. I just finished Season 2 last night.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: December 27, 2023, 09:09:33 PM »

Love it.  Really well done.  Oldman does an awesome job (per usual) and Lamb is an absolutely hilarious character for a non-comedy.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: December 31, 2023, 07:22:46 AM »
Love it.  Really well done.  Oldman does an awesome job (per usual) and Lamb is an absolutely hilarious character for a non-comedy.

Really loved first two seasons. A+ work.

Season 3 I’d give an A- or B+. Why? It became too much of an action movie, all the shooting and unrealistic elements of an action flick, at least the last two episodes. That’s. not what this show has been. Its tension was based on great writing, nuance.  Nuance that you’d have to watch twice to catch the little hints. Not blunt force and unrealistic gun battles. There is already too much of that on streaming.

That being said. Probably the best thing I’ve seen on TV in a long time. It goes to its own drummer.  Writing is great with many layers.

Gary Oldeman as Jackson Lamb is off the charts. I have a habit of watching actors act when I’m watching movies and tv.   This guy literally embodies, lives and inhabits the character. He is the guy, I can’t tell the actor from the character. He simply is the character in all his disgusting glory.  Worth watching if only for his acting job.
And in general the acting is good. You can tell it isn’t one of these streaming shows that are one or two takes and move on - and that seems to be the norm now.  They are spending money and taking their time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: December 31, 2023, 01:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation of Slow Horses. I'm gonna check it out.

We just finished The Crown. Great final episode, a fitting end to a truly wonderful series. And I say this as a person who has never cared one iota about the royals.

I recently discovered For All Mankind on Apple+ and just finished the first season. Fun, interesting concept, well acted.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: December 31, 2023, 01:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation of Slow Horses. I'm gonna check it out.

We just finished The Crown. Great final episode, a fitting end to a truly wonderful series. And I say this as a person who has never cared one iota about the royals.

I recently discovered For All Mankind on Apple+ and just finished the first season. Fun, interesting concept, well acted.

A subject I never cared about -the royal family.

Yet, it is one of the top Netflix series for me. Great writing and acting.

Definitely check out slow horses. It takes an episode or two to get into it, but is well worth it. Refreshing that the characters look like real people rather than recruits from a modeling agency. That always gets me to flip to another series.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: December 31, 2023, 04:53:42 PM »
Saw Maestro last night. I’ve always liked Bradley Cooper but he’s taken it to a whole other level. Amazing.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: December 31, 2023, 05:09:26 PM »
Rewatching Across the Spiderverse on Netflix with my daughter, hot damn is that movie a roller coaster just amazing.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: January 01, 2024, 12:41:57 PM »
Gonna watch Natalia Speaks tonight
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: January 01, 2024, 02:02:08 PM »
Gonna watch Natalia Speaks tonight

What could be more fun than watching real life pain & agony?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: January 01, 2024, 10:01:19 PM »
What could be more fun than watching real life pain & agony?

Amen. The millions who watch this are all awful people. Thankful 4 u
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1224 on: January 01, 2024, 11:03:53 PM »
Saw Maestro last night. I’ve always liked Bradley Cooper but he’s taken it to a whole other level. Amazing.

Its a terrific movie.