collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 MLB Thread  (Read 72912 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »
OK so just to be clear, 20 is big time top caliber money, but 19.5 isn't?  Does that mean that Braun, who tops out at 19M between now and 2021, isn't a big time player; that is, if we are using 20M in salary as the judge? 

FWIW, there is a "psychological" threshold at $20M; think about the difference between someone who hit .300 and someone who hit .299... the public views a .300 hitter in a different light than a .299 hitter, in any event, marginally more favorably than it would a .277 hitter compared to a .276 counterpart.

Further, like performance bonuses in MLB, some contracts between the players and their respective agents step-up to a larger percentage at certain thresholds, i.e. the agent's fee is 10% up to 'X' & 15% beyond 'X.'  $20M certainly seems like a logical threshold that some of the premier players (and agents) would establish.

Therefore, one could make the argument that in baseball circles, $20M is considered "big time" and $19.5M is not... even if the player making $19.5M is considerably better than the $20M player.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
Here!  Love the moves Kenny has made.  He got a 3B, reliever and a starter, can't ask for more than that.  The extra starter should hopefully make Sale and Quintana more effective.  

What makes the moves even better is that the Sox didn't really give anything up.

Yes, Kenny finally pulled the trigger and made some good deals this year.  I really hope Liriano bounces back with new surroundings.  He looked pretty good in his first start for us.

Tough series starting tonight against the Angels.... we've gotta face Grienke, Santana, and Haren.  

Don't stop now boys.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
Did I ever make a connection between talent and top caliber money? Nope.

Braun is one of the biggest steals in baseball.

No, but you seemed to imply it.  Since, you seemed to use the opinion that Hamilton won't "command high caliber money" to justify your position that Braun is a better player.  Or that was my impression at least.  Sorry if I misunderstood.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:30:22 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »
Yes, Kenny finally pulled the trigger and made some good deals this year.  I really hope Liriano bounces back with new surroundings.  He looked pretty good in his first start for us.

Tough series starting tonight against the Angels.... we've gotta face Grienke, Santana, and Haren.  

Don't stop now boys.

Can't wait for this series, going to two of the games.  Gotta check out the Mike Trout Experience.  Hopefully the Sox pitching shows up, really shows up. 

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
Can't wait for this series, going to two of the games.  Gotta check out the Mike Trout Experience.  Hopefully the Sox pitching shows up, really shows up. 

What a game you got to go to huh?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »

Saw Trout a couple of weeks ago in Detroit.   Absolutely, positively the real deal.    I told my wife and kids that we had come to see 3 future HOF'ers (Prince, Pujols, Cabrera) but may have seen a 4th.    Flies around CF, hit a bomb over the bullpen in Detroit.....great stuff.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:48 AM »
Saw Trout a couple of weeks ago in Detroit.   Absolutely, positively the real deal.    I told my wife and kids that we had come to see 3 future HOF'ers (Prince, Pujols, Cabrera) but may have seen a 4th.    Flies around CF, hit a bomb over the bullpen in Detroit.....great stuff.

Might win the MVP at 20 years old.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »
Might win the MVP at 20 years old.

I don't think there's any might about it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »
Have you looked at Cabrera's numbers lately?    Trout is a shoo-in for Rookie of the year, though.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »
I don't think there's any might about it.

1/3 of the season has yet to be played; that has to at least add a "might" into any discussions about MVP.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
What a game you got to go to huh?

Yeah, 2 games, 2 extra inning games.  Both great games.  Wish the Sox could have pulled that one last night out.  Left a bunch of runners on base, especially against Santana.  Oh well, have to hope Liriano is the good version of himself today. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
Trout robbed a home run from Beckham last night, that I am confident there isn't another CF in baseball that would have made that catch.  The top of the wall was about at his shoulder. 

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
Have you looked at Cabrera's numbers lately?    Trout is a shoo-in for Rookie of the year, though.

Cabrera puts up the .325+ avg consistently with 30+ HR and 100+ RBI but constantly gets overlooked. He won't win it unless he increases those while leading the Tigers to a WS or something.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
Trout robbed a home run from Beckham last night, that I am confident there isn't another CF in baseball that would have made that catch.  The top of the wall was about at his shoulder. 

I saw that on sportscenter top plays and said, "Are you kidding me? He did it again." He has mad hops too he really got up on that.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 05, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »

Two great games to see!  Trout almost robbed Rios of his walk-off on Friday, too.  And he hit an absolute bomb in that Friday game as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
White Sox take 2/3 from the Halos, Detroit scores 5 in the bottom of the 10th to sweep the Indians.   The AL Central should be a lot of fun for the next 7-8 weeks.   

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »

He'll have slightly more homers than Trout when the season is over and more RBIs, but that's it.  Trout will have more runs, a higher batting average, better OPS, significantly more stolen bases, and plays elite defense at a premium position.  No too mention he didn't even play the first month so Cabrera had a head start.  Obviously there's still two months left in the season, but given their current pace I don't see it as much of a contest.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
No too mention he didn't even play the first month so Cabrera had a head start.

Missing the first month of the season does not give a player a head start in batting average nor OPS, and missed time can actually benefit in those categories.

Trout has been absolutely incredible in the 86 games he's appeared.  If he plays in the remaining 53 games on the schedule nearly 40% of his at-bats will be after today; his numbers can look significantly different by the end of the season.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »
Two great games to see!  Trout almost robbed Rios of his walk-off on Friday, too.  And he hit an absolute bomb in that Friday game as well.

Trout's just playing at another level right now.  Dude is a beast. 

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
Trout has amazing numbers but if the Angels finish 3rd in the AL West (like they are now) I don't think Trout gets the MVP.  Just one man's opinion.

However...I don't think the Angels will finish in 3rd, I think they catch the Rangers..just a gut feeling.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »
Trout: 86 games .346  19 homers  58 rbi

Cabrera: 108 games  .325  27 homers  91 rbi

Trout is good, but Cabrera is best in AL right now.  Cabrera is MVP, Trout is Rookie of Year so far.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »

However...I don't think the Angels will finish in 3rd, I think they catch the Rangers..just a gut feeling.

Not if their bullpen pitches like they have over the past week or so.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
Trout: 86 games .346  19 homers  58 rbi

Cabrera: 108 games  .325  27 homers  91 rbi

Trout is good, but Cabrera is best in AL right now.  Cabrera is MVP, Trout is Rookie of Year so far.

Batting average is a fairly useless stat, on base and slugging or the combination of both (OPS) are much more relevant.

RBI is a totally meaningless stat and should never be used when discussing performance as it totally relies on luck, timing, and how good the guys in front of you are at getting on-base.

Now that I have my statistical rant out of the way--Trout is simply a better player right now. He's not only a better offensive player, he's about 5x as good of a defensive player as compared to Cabrera (not to mention baserunner as well).

If I had to vote today it would be

1. Trout
2. Cano
3. Cabrera

I'd be fine with switching 2 and 3 though.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
SS Jean Segura, the main piece in the Grienke trade, is making his debut tonight for the Brewers should be fun.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 06, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
SS Jean Segura, the main piece in the Grienke trade, is making his debut tonight for the Brewers should be fun.

Looks like he's in the starting lineup.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback