collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 MLB Thread  (Read 72925 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »
Anyone care to get back to that Josh Hamilton is better than Ryan Braun argument?

Despite the prolonged slump for Hammy, their numbers are still pretty close.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »
So his super, white hot streak wasn't an anomaly, but his 'prolonged slump' is?

Hot/Cold as the guy averages out. That's his MO, he'll find himself on the DL shortly I would venture to guess.

He won't command high caliber money this offseason.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
The slump has really brought down his stats, but in a slump hitting .290 is still very good. I would still sign him in a heartbeat this offseason especially since the price tag will be lower.

.282, actually.  .288 if you revise to include his 3 for 4 game last night.

He still gets a big contract as long as he stays in the .280 - .300 range.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
So his super, white hot streak wasn't an anomaly, but his 'prolonged slump' is?

Hot/Cold as the guy averages out. That's his MO, he'll find himself on the DL shortly I would venture to guess.

If he is inexpensive then the Brewers should pull the trigger, they could trade Hart or Weeks this offseason to help with the money. Even if he only gives you 120-130 games a year he is usually one of the most dominant players in the game when he is on, right now he is not. Without him the Rangers don't get to back-to-back WS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »

JD Drew got several LARGE contracts. He was ALWAYS hurt, and never played more than 145 games (and only played over 140 a handful of times). 

Hamilton will get his money. It won't be cheap.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
Hamilton is a guy the Brewers should absolutely not sign.  Right now, the problem isn't the bats, its the arms.  The bullpen is the worst in baseball.  And the Brewers have some of the best power in all of baseball even though they lost a huge slugger from last year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
Keep Hart at first and find a decent bat for RF that isn't going to cost huge money.  (Nick Swisher?Delmon Young?  Carlos Lee?)  With Wolf gone and the Greinke salary off the books, sign a starter and bull pen help.  Not sure to do with Marcum though.

Hamilton is the type of signing that could hamstring the Brewers for years if he breaks down....like the Mauer contract is doing for the Twins. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »
Keep Hart at first and find a decent bat for RF that isn't going to cost huge money.  (Nick Swisher?Delmon Young?  Carlos Lee?)  With Wolf gone and the Greinke salary off the books, sign a starter and bull pen help.  Not sure to do with Marcum though.

Hamilton is the type of signing that could hamstring the Brewers for years if he breaks down....like the Mauer contract is doing for the Twins. 

Aoki and Gamel may be the right fielders next year under this scenario.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
Aoki and Gamel may be the right fielders next year under this scenario.

Aoki doesn't have enough pop to be a corner outfielder and I still don't know what you have in Gamel. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »

Aoki doesn't have enough pop to be a corner outfielder and I still don't know what you have in Gamel. 

I think you could survive next year not having any pop in RF if you can fix the pen problems.  Offense needs more guys hitting for average than it does power.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I think you could survive next year not having any pop in RF if you can fix the pen problems.  Offense needs more guys hitting for average than it does power.

A legitimate position no doubt.  See, I would rather have Aoki in center so Morgan's ass can be booted.  But that makes sense.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »

A legitimate position no doubt.  See, I would rather have Aoki in center so Morgan's ass can be booted.  But that makes sense.

Agreed.... Morgan's "gotta go."  He'll latch on with someone else, have another good season and drop off again.  10 years from now, he may be the poster child for the argument for "change of scenery."

The Process

• All American
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »

I like Nyjer the Character, not Nyjer the Player.  While the occasional hit (i.e. yesterday's 2 run shot) are always good and whatnot... he's just not doing well this year.

As far as Aoki goes... perhaps it's time to try out Logan Schafer in CF in a platoon with The Man (Gomez) in September?

BTW - how many trades took place today!
Relax. Respect the Process.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
I like Nyjer the Character, not Nyjer the Player.  While the occasional hit (i.e. yesterday's 2 run shot) are always good and whatnot... he's just not doing well this year.

As far as Aoki goes... perhaps it's time to try out Logan Schafer in CF in a platoon with The Man (Gomez) in September?

Too many trades to list.  Alot.....

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
Too many trades to list.  Alot.....

Dempster to the Rangers, Victorino to the Dodgers, Pence to the Giants were the 3 biggest.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
I like Hunter Morris as a long-term solution at 1B instead of Hart or Gamel, he's been killing it at AA all year. Not sure how much it translates to the next level. Morris-1B Gennett-2B Segura-SS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

Nyjer is one of those guys that everybody (players, coaches, fans) love when he is doing well and the team is doing well.

When things aren't going so well, his schtick tends to annoy people. He's not the first player like this, he's not the last. Orlando Hudson seems to have the same thing going on.

Dennis Rodman is actually another extreme example. Fantastic with the Pistons and the Bulls, he became a distraction elsewhere.

Its actually too bad Nyjer didn't have a better year because a contending team would probably love to have his energy for the stretch run.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
Was watching the MLB Network, the Rangers were taking pregame BP and GM Jon Daniels was being interviewed. Interview was about Dempster acquisition but when Josh Hamilton walked past the camera and waved Daniels said "I would also like to break news on a Hamilton extension." Don't know the details of it yet.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
Was watching the MLB Network, the Rangers were taking pregame BP and GM Jon Daniels was being interviewed. Interview was about Dempster acquisition but when Josh Hamilton walked past the camera and waved Daniels said "I would also like to break news on a Hamilton extension." Don't know the details of it yet.

I didn't even see it and I can tell he was joking.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
I didn't even see it and I can tell he was joking.

No he wasn't.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
I thought the dodgers getting League was a nice move for their pen.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

The Process

• All American
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
Nyjer is one of those guys that everybody (players, coaches, fans) love when he is doing well and the team is doing well.

When things aren't going so well, his schtick tends to annoy people. He's not the first player like this, he's not the last. Orlando Hudson seems to have the same thing going on.

I'm likely in the minority here, but I like Nyjer's antics and think that he's been perhaps too... withdrawn... this year.  Maybe part of Nyjer being Nyjer is that it kept him loose enough last year to be able to focus on "tickling" that ball out of the infield for base hits.

Dennis Rodman is actually another extreme example. Fantastic with the Pistons and the Bulls, he became a distraction elsewhere.

Well, he is in the Hall of Fame because of those stretches with the Pistons and the Bulls.  He was only with other teams for 4 years total in his career (2 with San Antonio, 1 with the Lakers, and one with the Mavericks).
Relax. Respect the Process.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
I'm likely in the minority here, but I like Nyjer's antics and think that he's been perhaps too... withdrawn... this year.  Maybe part of Nyjer being Nyjer is that it kept him loose enough last year to be able to focus on "tickling" that ball out of the infield for base hits.

Well, he is in the Hall of Fame because of those stretches with the Pistons and the Bulls.  He was only with other teams for 4 years total in his career (2 with San Antonio, 1 with the Lakers, and one with the Mavericks).

I don't dislike Nyjer's antics, but when you are under .500, some of his stuff gets a little tiresome. Do you really want him standing on second doing "beast mode" after he hits a double when they are out of the pennant race? How about when they are down 7-0? That stuff only works when you are winning a lot of games.

Rodman's numbers look good in S.A., but he was a HUGE distraction. Put him on another winning team (the Bulls), and suddenly his antics don't look so bad. It's an extreme example, but on winning teams, eccentric behavior is far easier to deal with.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:46:52 PM by Guns n Ammo »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
I don't dislike Nyjer's antics, but when you are under .500, some of his stuff gets a little tiresome. Do you really want him standing on second doing "beast mode" after he hits a double when they are out of the pennant race? How about when they are down 7-0? That stuff only works when you are winning a lot of games.

Rodman's numbers look good in S.A., but he was a HUGE distraction. Put him on another winning team (the Bulls), and suddenly his antics don't look so bad. It's an extreme example, but on winning teams, eccentric behavior is far easier to deal with.

Rich/famous people are eccentric. The same behavior for the average guy means you're crazy.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
No he wasn't.

And yet, I don't see anything about this 15 hours later...

feedback