* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.  (Read 15402 times)

1SE

• All American
Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.
« on: March 30, 2021, 05:00:49 AM »
Given the namesake of our new HC, I wonder if there's not room to talk about bringing back the Warriors in an EDI friendly way. Recognizing that "warrior" culture is not unique to one people/nation/race/sex but instead is seen across an inclusive range of peoples/nations/cultures/sexes and explicitly adopting it in that way with logo/branding reflective of the same. Something like a text-only logo (ala Washington football team) or maybe something like the silhouette of 5 young athletes in huddle with their arms on each others' shoulders (ala Shaka's "relationships" focus).

MU could then have multiple live mascots for different warrior cultures, developed in consultation with those cultures, and only to be portrayed by individuals from that culture. Perhaps even only develop those mascots from cultures who approach the University (i.e. so the development of a mascot requires an active "opt in" from the community in question.) Maybe given the preponderance of Irish-American students/alum the "base" warrior could be a Celtic warrior - as the father of Irish kids I know I certainly wouldn't take any offense to that. And I can tell you a Celtic warrior would be a hell of a lot less offensive than "Clashmore Mike" at ND.  You could even have a female one based on the banféinní!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 05:05:46 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 05:24:32 AM »
In Wisconsin, you know Fall is coming when the leaves start to turn. On Scoop, you know the off-season is coming when the "bring back Warriors" threads start to bloom.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 05:33:47 AM »
As much as we'd all love it's not happening.

Bricky has a better chance of returning to his 5 minutes of fame.

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 06:22:05 AM »
I also suggested this based on who Shaka was named after but it’s not. Gonna. Happen.
There is no chance in this Uber woke environment

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 06:49:39 AM »
As much as we'd all love it's not happening.

Bricky has a better chance of returning to his 5 minutes of fame.

Personally, I subscribe to the school of thought that Marquette is contractually forbidden to return to the Warriors mascot. I don't know if we'll ever learn whether this is true, or just a rumor.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 06:52:52 AM »
So, Marquette isn’t going to pursue a multi million dollar re-branding campaign during a cash strapped pandemic, which I may add was brought about because of the origins of the first name of our current basketball coach who has been with us for less than a week, because of the ‘woke environment’. 

I love scoop. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:57:50 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:04:53 AM »
How about this... Raise $1 billion, change the name back.

Lovell needs to raise money.   Warriors is a hot button.   Offer to completely sell out for an obscene amount of money, come back with gender inclusive, non-native-American imagery.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:39 AM »
I also suggested this based on who Shaka was named after but it’s not. Gonna. Happen.
There is no chance in this Uber woke environment

What about a Lyft woke environment?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 07:18:42 AM »
What about a Lyft woke environment?

Scoop at its finest

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 07:25:01 AM »
Bricky never had a chance.  It was a fun 5 days.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »
EDI?  What does Electronic Data Interchange have to do with Warriors?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 07:29:54 AM »
The ND logo seeks to portray my forebears as pugnacious.

Would that they had been even more so.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 07:46:06 AM »
Personally, I subscribe to the school of thought that Marquette is contractually forbidden to return to the Warriors mascot. I don't know if we'll ever learn whether this is true, or just a rumor.

The heart of posting on Scoop! Truth is whatever we say it is, and we love rumors.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 07:59:36 AM »
The heart of posting on Scoop! Truth is whatever we say it is, and we love rumors.

Indeed we do.  This made me laugh.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »
If 2 million dollars can't bring it back, its not coming back. Were stuck with the fluffy chicken.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
**If this were a contractual obligation, one would like that the Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees would know this when he made the $1 million offer in a public forum.

**$2 million was never going to be enough for a school that raises something like $90 million a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 08:33:04 AM »
**If this were a contractual obligation, one would like that the Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees would know this when he made the $1 million offer in a public forum.

**$2 million was never going to be enough for a school that raises something like $90 million a year.

You make a fair point. However, one would also think that the Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees: 1) would have been aware that the idea was a non-starter even if there was no contractual prohibition; and/or 2) might have believed that the contract could be renegotiated.

The fact that his offer resulted in the "we'll consider any change but Warriors" would suggest that he wasn't entirely in the loop about what was possible.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »
You make a fair point. However, one would also think that the Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees: 1) would have been aware that the idea was a non-starter even if there was no contractual prohibition; and/or 2) might have believed that the contract could be renegotiated.

The fact that his offer resulted in the "we'll consider any change but Warriors" would suggest that he wasn't entirely in the loop about what was possible.

That may be true.  I would also suggest that it was extremely inappropriate for a member of the Board of Trustees to make such an offer in a public setting without first talking to university leadership about it.

But regardless, $2 million would never have been enough to make the change. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 08:40:10 AM »

That may be true.  I would also suggest that it was extremely inappropriate for a member of the Board of Trustees to make such an offer in a public setting without first talking to university leadership about it.

But regardless, $2 million would never have been enough to make the change.

I agree on both points.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
How about this... Raise $1 billion, change the name back.

Lovell needs to raise money.   Warriors is a hot button.   Offer to completely sell out for an obscene amount of money, come back with gender inclusive, non-native-American imagery.

Fine! Joan of Arc in full armor, charging onto the court on her mighty horse during a time out and scattering the opponents' huddle, demolishing their Gatorade cart, and then charging towards their cheerleaders who make a hasty trip to their locker room for a fresh set of clothes.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »
I think the OP meant DEI not EDI
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »
Fine! Joan of Arc in full armor, charging onto the court on her mighty horse during a time out and scattering the opponents' huddle, demolishing their Gatorade cart, and then charging towards their cheerleaders who make a hasty trip to their locker room for a fresh set of clothes.

I always loved the Joan of Arc idea. If I ran MU in the 90s, that's what I would have gone with rather than changing the name.

Of course, if you told a bunch of alumni that we were dropping the native imagery and installing a female mascot in the 90s, I'm not sure how well that would have gone over. Maybe I'm wrong but I think there would have been a lot of backlash.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
Redskins is available now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »

To build the AL, a new Law School and Dormitory; 2 million to change one logo back to another costs nothing, but as you say 2 million or any amount was never going to be enough was just the point.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 09:16:19 AM »
I always loved the Joan of Arc idea. If I ran MU in the 90s, that's what I would have gone with rather than changing the name.

Of course, if you told a bunch of alumni that we were dropping the native imagery and installing a female mascot in the 90s, I'm not sure how well that would have gone over. Maybe I'm wrong but I think there would have been a lot of backlash.

They had already dropped the imagery before the name change.  I know that when Bluteaux bombed in the late 80s they did a contest to replace "him" and they included a knight, a caveman and a couple of other things.  Not sure if the logo changed from the "first warrior" until the name change though.