collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jury Duty  (Read 8293 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Jury Duty
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
It has to do with the job of jurors. But yes, it is only kinda related. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have put it in its own thread or in the cops shooting Blacks thread.

Dear Scoop Posting Police (except when you post something that has nothing to do with the OP; then it's OK):

Eradicating systemic racism from our legal system isn't a political issue, or at least it doesn't have to be.
Was somebody shot?

One idea might be pour more money into public defenders salaries, to keep some of the good ones from jumping ship, or more pro bono requirements.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »
I've always wanted to participate in jury nullification on a drug case.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2021, 03:15:34 PM »
Obviously systemic racism in our legal system doesn't affect every Black person the $ame ...

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/bill-cosbys-sexual-assault-conviction-is-overturned-2021-06-30/

Back home to love Jello pudding again!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that, unfortunately, this is the right call. If you give someone immunity from prosecution in exchange for their testimony, well, you've given them immunity.

The guy that gave Cosby immunity was one of Trump's clownish lawyers in his second impeachment trial. Because of course it was.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2021, 09:25:29 PM »
How is that politics?

read below-all ya had to do is...wait for it
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2021, 10:08:20 PM »

huh? is that english?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
Currently serving on a jury on an interesting case.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62080.0

Despite the multiple character witnesses presented for the defense, the evidence presented by prosecutors Wades and Rocky is just too compelling for me to saying anything other than "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".

Found it interesting that the accused had the opportunity to take the stand (either through a proxy or a burner), and instead appeared to invoke their 5th amendment rights, and without that, the defense really just had deflections and argument skirting.

As for the sentencing, I will leave that up to our wonderful overlords (it's not like this is a democracy right?).  Those overlords also know how to contact me so I can be compensated for my time serving on this jury, as I most definitely was not partaking in my civic duty while at work.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2021, 10:25:04 PM »

Read below what? Your post? Is Sean Connery political?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2021, 06:00:56 AM »

"Obviously systemic racism in our legal system doesn't affect every Black person the $ame ..."

provocative to say the least-
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2021, 06:39:00 AM »
  "Obviously systemic racism in our legal system doesn't affect every Black person the $ame ..."

provocative to say the least-

What's provocative or political about that?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2021, 06:46:34 AM »
What's provocative or political about that?

Nothing.  It's easier for him to say that he disagrees with it politically rather than address or try to understand the problem.

It's political in the same way that climate change or evolution are. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
Haven't been called in yet. But my time is coming.  Fully plan to eliminate myself from consideration immediately with hot takes.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2021, 10:28:05 AM »
Haven't been called in yet. But my time is coming.  Fully plan to eliminate myself from consideration immediately with hot takes.

Best course of action.

As referenced earlier...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94zkBGm1IoU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »

I just don't understand people who intentionally try to get out of jury duty.  Isn't that part of your responsibility as a citizen, like voting?
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
I just don't understand people who intentionally try to get out of jury duty.  Isn't that part of your responsibility as a citizen, like voting?

Agree.  In fact, it's a more direct exercise of democracy than voting. 
Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »

I liken it to taxes vs voting.  It’s a personal cost that many people try to minimize. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2021, 05:31:33 PM »

"All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of the Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »

There are people who would suffer financially if they had to take time to serve on a jury, especially if they got a long trial. Employers can fire somebody for serving on a jury, but there are a LOT of gig workers now -- don't work, don't eat.

I wouldn't blame those folks for trying to get out of jury duty, and I would hope the judge would be sympathetic to such a person and excuse him or her.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »
There are people who would suffer financially if they had to take time to serve on a jury, especially if they got a long trial. Employers can fire somebody for serving on a jury, but there are a LOT of gig workers now -- don't work, don't eat.

I wouldn't blame those folks for trying to get out of jury duty, and I would hope the judge would be sympathetic to such a person and excuse him or her.

I get why those people would try to avoid jury duty, but there are plenty who just don't want to do it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »
I get why those people would try to avoid jury duty, but there are plenty who just don't want to do it.

Yes. Agree that's abdication of one's duty.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2021, 08:45:12 PM »
Because I have to go finish my shift when the day of jury duty is over, when invited I always wear my dress blues to the jury holding room.    For some reason, I never get seated.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »

To each their own. And no, I don’t think jury duty is a part of my responsibility as a citizen.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2021, 12:59:39 AM »
Well so much for the concept of having a jury of your peers….
Picking a jury once years ago, there was one guy who was so blatantly trying to get out of serving, he was clearly just making up stuff as selection went along, that if we could have made him the fifth alternate, so that he had to sit through the whole trial but wouldn’t actually be in a position  to decide anything, both sides and the judge would have done so.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2021, 06:02:57 AM »
Well so much for the concept of having a jury of your peers….
Picking a jury once years ago, there was one guy who was so blatantly trying to get out of serving, he was clearly just making up stuff as selection went along, that if we could have made him the fifth alternate, so that he had to sit through the whole trial but wouldn’t actually be in a position  to decide anything, both sides and the judge would have done so.

IMO, this is what should happen.  I get people not wanting to serve.  And I get that a lot of people have excuses.  Time, family, job.  They're all important.

Alternatively, what if being a juror was a job?  Paid well, educated, and there could still be a pool of jurors to choose from state wide.  Just a thought.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2021, 06:12:53 AM »
IMO, this is what should happen.  I get people not wanting to serve.  And I get that a lot of people have excuses.  Time, family, job.  They're all important.

Alternatively, what if being a juror was a job?  Paid well, educated, and there could still be a pool of jurors to choose from state wide.  Just a thought.

Would it be easier to corrupt a professional juror?  Would enough people choose that as a profession?  We need a lot of jurors.

I’ve been called 3 times.  Once in college when I was not living where I was called and twice since where I didn’t have to even go to the courthouse.  I’d almost certainly see it as a major inconvenience if I did get sit on a jury but I’d probably get over it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.