[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jury Duty  (Read 8203 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Jury Duty
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2021, 06:17:32 AM »
Would it be easier to corrupt a professional juror?  Would enough people choose that as a profession?  We need a lot of jurors.

I’ve been called 3 times.  Once in college when I was not living where I was called and twice since where I didn’t have to even go to the courthouse.  I’d almost certainly see it as a major inconvenience if I did get sit on a jury but I’d probably get over it

I'm pushing 40 and have gotten zero calls in my life.  It would be an inconvenience for sure, and they'd probably toss me anyway.

To your other questions, I don't know.  I've talked about this before but I think our entire legal/criminal system could use a serious overhaul.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »
IMO, this is what should happen.  I get people not wanting to serve.  And I get that a lot of people have excuses.  Time, family, job.  They're all important.

Alternatively, what if being a juror was a job?  Paid well, educated, and there could still be a pool of jurors to choose from state wide.  Just a thought.

That's what Ancient Rome did.  Senators and other elites sat in judgement.  The plebs had no representation or a jury of their peers.  Guess who got f*cked?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »
To each their own. And no, I don’t think jury duty is a part of my responsibility as a citizen.
Keep that in mind if you are ever wrongfully accused.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
I've never been called. Maybe I don't check my mail close enough.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
That's what Ancient Rome did.  Senators and other elites sat in judgement.  The plebs had no representation or a jury of their peers.  Guess who got f*cked?

Oh, so sort of like our current political environment?

Or Black people on trial facing an all White jury?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2021, 09:44:13 PM »
Oh, so sort of like our current political environment?

Or Black people on trial facing an all White jury?

You suggested that method, kin.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
You suggested that method, kin.

I mean, you mentioned elites and senators, I suggested educated people.  You know they're very different things, right?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2021, 11:02:05 PM »
I mean, you mentioned elites and senators, I suggested educated people.  You know they're very different things, right?
Last time I checked, our Constitution guarantees a jury of your peers. We've added that we want juries free of bias and objective.

The woman on whose case I served as foreman got a fair and a favorable outcome because 12 impartial citizens stepped up, accepted their obligations and served. They heard the evidence, understood the law and acted in a fair and reasonable manner.

If you get 12 elites, senators or even 12 folks with bias, then you're going to get bad outcomes.

While I become upset over people who politicize the legal system and expect criminal litigation to serve political purposes, we nonetheless have the best system around. I can vouch for that personally after having been part of a hearing ion a Ukrainian court room.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »
I had jury duty once, kid accused of stabbing his father.  There was one witness, an older lady who saw this happen from across an alley in her apartment.  The thing though, it was late at night and she didn't have her glasses on!  My fellow jurors were ready to convict right away, I was able to play devils advocate and stall a bit.  Another part of the case hinged on a very unique knife.  During my stall, and a recess, I was able to find that same knife at a local store!  Can you believe it!  Overall, the jurors were pretty angry to start, but in the end I believe that justice was served.
I still say the guy was guilty.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2021, 11:55:32 PM »
Last time I checked, our Constitution guarantees a jury of your peers. We've added that we want juries free of bias and objective.

The woman on whose case I served as foreman got a fair and a favorable outcome because 12 impartial citizens stepped up, accepted their obligations and served. They heard the evidence, understood the law and acted in a fair and reasonable manner.

If you get 12 elites, senators or even 12 folks with bias, then you're going to get bad outcomes.

While I become upset over people who politicize the legal system and expect criminal litigation to serve political purposes, we nonetheless have the best system around. I can vouch for that personally after having been part of a hearing ion a Ukrainian court room.

It's the best system at locking people up, you're right.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2021, 05:36:58 AM »
There are people who would suffer financially if they had to take time to serve on a jury, especially if they got a long trial. Employers can fire somebody for serving on a jury, but there are a LOT of gig workers now -- don't work, don't eat.

I wouldn't blame those folks for trying to get out of jury duty, and I would hope the judge would be sympathetic to such a person and excuse him or her.

Employers can pretty much do what they want, even fire someone for serving on a jury; but it is illegal to do that in every state. They don't have to pay you, but if they fire you they just opened themselves up to a law suit they can't win.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2021, 06:33:40 AM »
To each their own. And no, I don’t think jury duty is a part of my responsibility as a citizen.

It is specifically mentioned in the Constitution.  A trial by jury is enshrined in the sixth amendment.  It is implied therefore that being called and sitting on a jury is a responsibility.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:36:40 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2021, 06:32:13 PM »
It's the best system at locking people up, you're right.

Candidly, I’d rather lock people up than have the no-bail revolving courthouse door that has Chicago’ police chief so riled.

I’d rather lock people up than cut their hands off, give them a bull whipping or summary execution.

We can all point to cases where juries, judges etc., didn’t get it right. But we are trying. And, if I were ever accused, I’d sure as heck want the people who took the time to serve with me on the jury for which I served adjudicating me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2021, 06:12:18 AM »
Candidly, I’d rather lock people up than have the no-bail revolving courthouse door that has Chicago’ police chief so riled.

I’d rather lock people up than cut their hands off, give them a bull whipping or summary execution.

We can all point to cases where juries, judges etc., didn’t get it right. But we are trying. And, if I were ever accused, I’d sure as heck want the people who took the time to serve with me on the jury for which I served adjudicating me.

Not candidly, our system is utter garbage.  It locks people up and throws away the key.  It destroys families and communities.  The state still murders people.

It's not as great of a system as you're giving it credit for.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2021, 06:35:31 AM »

I don't think we are trying all that hard.  We do what's easy.  Pass more laws and lock people up longer. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
Not candidly, our system is utter garbage.  It locks people up and throws away the key.  It destroys families and communities.  The state still murders people.

It's not as great of a system as you're giving it credit for.

The majority are.  Its not an excuse for the US, but criminal justice is a mess in many developed countries.

I have a colleague who is a big proponent of the "Rule of Law Index" which is put together by the World Justice Project.  I believe the US is 20th in that ranking.  However, the only countries above the US that are also in the top 25 for population are Japan, Germany, and the UK.  If you made it to top 10 in population, much less top 5 like the US, its only Japan. 

The Nordic countries are 4 of the top 5, unsurprisingly, but Im just so hesitant to use them as metrics for many things when they collectively have the population of NY or FL.

I'm also separating policing and the actual legal/court system FWIW.

feedback