Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN  (Read 12472 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
I kind of agree, but look at Wes and Jerel's numbers. That's still REALLY impressive for a frosh.

I think ST2 could have put up similar numbers as a frosh, but I can't really think of another one that could. Vander played a lot of minutes and didn't do it. Gardner didn't do it. Mayo didn't do it, and if he was that effective, he could have stolen more of Vander's minutes. Guys have had chances to be more than role players, but they just aren't ready.

The only guys that were even similar are DJO and Jae, and they were not true frosh. their first year on campus.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/23-wesley-matthews

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/jerel-mcneal

What is not in those numbers is turnovers per game and defense.  Yes, Jerel had a lot of steals, but with Buzz's defense Jerel would have out of position too much for Buzz to have started him.

I seem to recall Jerel got in foul trouble a lot too his frosh year and Buzz is not a fan of guards getting in foul trouble.

If Buzz coached that 05-06 team, yes Jerel would have started.  He would not have started on this year's team, 11-12 team, next year's team, etc..

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
What is not in those numbers is turnovers per game and defense.  Yes, Jerel had a lot of steals, but with Buzz's defense Jerel would have out of position too much for Buzz to have started him.

I seem to recall Jerel got in foul trouble a lot too his frosh year and Buzz is not a fan of guards getting in foul trouble.

If Buzz coached that 05-06 team, yes Jerel would have started.  He would not have started on this year's team, 11-12 team, next year's team, etc..

This. Minutes + role in the offense = Stats. Jerel and Wesley got the minutes and numbers they did as freshmen because there wasn't much ahead of them. Look at Trent Lockett's numbers at ASU - better than they were at MU as a senior. That's because they're weren't as many good players to share minutes and the ball with.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »
This. Minutes + role in the offense = Stats. Jerel and Wesley got the minutes and numbers they did as freshmen because there wasn't much ahead of them. Look at Trent Lockett's numbers at ASU - better than they were at MU as a senior. That's because they're weren't as many good players to share minutes and the ball with.

I know what you are saying, but in your mind, who would have been as good as Jerel and Wes as frosh. if they were handed a bunch of minutes?

Steve Taylor: Yes.

Every other Frosh. we have seen in the past 5 seasons: Not so sure.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
I think Vander will see some serious minutes at PG next year, maybe with JJJ also in the lineup at the same time. If JJJ is as good a shooter as has been reported, we'll need that added dimension in our offense.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Lazer Sound

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »
For Derrick Wilson I think it is very possible he could come back as an improved shooter from distance next year.  This is the type of singular offensive skill that a lot of players are able to improve from one year to another.  Whether it be finishing around the hoop, free throws, or passing out of double teams, often times players who are limited can show some growth in areas of their games.  I do not ever expect him to be an impact player on offense (at least in terms of scoring) but as of right now teams invite him to shoot the open three like he is Otule.  My wishful thinking is that this will be the singular skill that he is able to improve upon over a summer of work.  Junior shot the three this year at something like a 23% clip.  Think if Derrick were even good for roughly 33% (which sadly would have made him second best this year).  Again, this may be too much to ask of someone who simply does not appear to want to shoot right now, but I think it is our best hope for having a complete offense with him at the helm.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
I do not think we should count on any newcomer until they survive boot camp.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
If JJJ is as good a shooter as has been reported, we'll need that added dimension in our offense.

I've heard JJJ described as a streaky shooter, not necessarily as a good shooter.  Matt Thomas is a good shooter.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »
I've heard JJJ described as a streaky shooter, not necessarily as a good shooter.  Matt Thomas is a good shooter.

Coulda just used our very own Duane Wilson in that example 'steada the irrelevant Iowa State traditional.  Jamil's cousin shot 58% from three this year, not sure how he's fairly regularly overlooked as the shooter we're all pining for.  Probably cuz he also has off-the-charts athleticism.  Quite the combination indeed.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
I can't explain why, but I picture Jameel for MU like DeMarre Carroll for Mizzou: interior presence with outside touch.
SS Marquette

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
I can't explain why, but I picture Jameel for MU like DeMarre Carroll for Mizzou: interior presence with outside touch.

I can explain why.  It's the dreads.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
It would also be smart of Otule to get a masters paid for by playing next year?!?!

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 05:56:12 AM »
Agreed!

But I wonder how many of them will be playing in the Summer League they have with Jim Ganzer?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 06:07:32 AM »
I think we can get away with a PG who isn't a great shooter.  What we lacked this year was a great shooter from ANY position.  We need a shooter on next year's team.

As far as PG,  I think what we need Derrick to do is shoot free throws well (he needs to improve immensely in this area) and occassionaly hit a mid-range shot to keep the defenses honest, ala Cadougan.  If he can do that we will be okay.

This year he wasn't good at either so he has got some work to do in the off-season.
No no no.....I disagree. In college basketball you CAN'T get away with a PG who can't shoot. If we had one MU would still be playing. It is a credit and wonder that they got this far as they did!

The only reason MU got as faras they did was clutch plays by Vander and Jamil in two games and they do have a semblance of a low post threat in Otule and in Gardner and they can defend and not turner the ball over.

Junior is an excellent facilitator but to go further they needed someone to come down and knock down a shot and score as well. When Jamil went cold they were all done...

No one wanted to shoot and no one wanted to look bad missing shots so they froze up. A great deal of my optimism is Duane Wilson and what I saw from him when I went to see him.

His mid-range game and 3pt game from the college line is on point. He has very good form and a shot that is not overly broke or needs that much work on as far as from a technical standpoint.

Get's great elevation, can get separate with a set back and has a quick release and a steady eye and clean form. And he is fearless. Will pull up from anywhere and if he jells with one or two of his teammates early he will be hard to contain.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 06:33:52 AM »

Do you know of any player that hasn't survived bootcamp? Real question.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 07:38:33 AM »
No no no.....I disagree. In college basketball you CAN'T get away with a PG who can't shoot. If we had one MU would still be playing. It is a credit and wonder that they got this far as they did!   

Junior Cadougan had a higher FG% than Peyton Siva and last I checked, Louisville was getting away with it.

You don't need a point guard that can shoot if you have other players around him who can.  The problem with MU this year was lack of outside shooting overall.  If we had any consistent threat whatsoever, MU is likely in the final four.  That doesn't have to come from the point guard position.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:21 AM »

Junior Cadougan had a higher FG% than Peyton Siva and last I checked, Louisville was getting away with it.

You don't need a point guard that can shoot if you have other players around him who can.  The problem with MU this year was lack of outside shooting overall.  If we had any consistent threat whatsoever, MU is likely in the final four.  That doesn't have to come from the point guard position.

Exactly my point.  Of course we all want a PG who can shoot 40% from three,  ala Diener.  However, you just don't make a decision on your PG based on shooting.  Whoever gets the majority of minutes at point is going to be based on a lot of different factors.

If Duane Wilson can shoot 40% from three, play solid defense as Derrick, handle the ball,  run the offense, etc. of course he will get the majority of minutes.  I hope Duane can, but will not hold my breath for a freshmen to do that.

My point was we don't exclude Derrick just because he can't shoot from three.  What he needs to do is figure out a midrange/pull-up shot and make sure he can hit free throws.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »
Do you know of any player that hasn't survived bootcamp? Real question.
There have been several players that arrived and never made it to boot camp.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »
Exactly my point.  Of course we all want a PG who can shoot 40% from three,  ala Diener.  However, you just don't make a decision on your PG based on shooting.  Whoever gets the majority of minutes at point is going to be based on a lot of different factors.

If Duane Wilson can shoot 40% from three, play solid defense as Derrick, handle the ball,  run the offense, etc. of course he will get the majority of minutes.  I hope Duane can, but will not hold my breath for a freshmen to do that.

My point was we don't exclude Derrick just because he can't shoot from three.  What he needs to do is figure out a midrange/pull-up shot and make sure he can hit free throws.

Agree, but do we even know if Der Wilson can hit the three? I don't remember him even taking too many.