collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New building for the B school  (Read 5485 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: New building for the B school
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
I don't believe this was the original location highlighted in their master plan.  I think the rec center was going to go there with the new business building where Helfaer is now.

Plans like those always change though. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:39:13 PM »
Any won else heer herd its gonna bee named, Ma and Pa School of Bizness, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
I don't believe this was the original location highlighted in their master plan.  I think the rec center was going to go there with the new business building where Helfaer is now.

That’s correct. It was initially going to be connected to the Engineering School by Innovation Alley.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »
Crap just posted on the other board, my apologies.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »

This will be the first classroom building on the north side of 16th, correct?

What happens to the much needed Rec Center? Maybe on the current Straz site or will Straz remain as a classroom building.  I can't think of other open spaces at this time and if the Rec Center comes down new tennis courts would be needed, increasing the footprint.

This would be a great chance to move some of the A&S programs to Straz and get rid of Lalumiere. Bigger and more buildings.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:58:54 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »
This has been in the works in the currently announced configuration for over a year.  I believe but am not certain we learned of it in meetings last February.  There had been a bit of a delay in the announcement for reasons I can't elaborate on.  Sultan is correct that the original location was part of Innovation Alley along 16th.  Plans change.  Money talks.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
This will be the first classroom building on the north side of 16th, correct?

What happens to the much needed Rec Center? Maybe on the current Straz site or will Straz remain as a classroom building.  I can't think of other open spaces at this time and if the Rec Center comes down new tennis courts would be needed, increasing the footprint.

This would be a great chance to move some of the A&S programs to Straz and get rid of Lalumiere. Bigger and more buildings.

Lalu and Straz are both terrible. Really anything besides the new engineering building, law school, Schroeder/Cramer, and Cudahy are kinda crap.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
This has been in the works in the currently announced configuration for over a year.  I believe but am not certain we learned of it in meetings last February.  There had been a bit of a delay in the announcement for reasons I can't elaborate on.  Sultan is correct that the original location was part of Innovation Alley along 16th.  Plans change.  Money talks.

Correct. The strategy for the new B school changed about 3 years ago but the impetus for the change went away but the university kept studying it and realized it made a lot of sense so this has been in the silent funding mode for about 18 months and now that they reached a target funding level they were able to go to the BoT to.get the authorization to both go public(routine) and change the master plan(big deal). Approval happened this month.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 05:55:30 PM »
Lalu and Straz are both terrible. Really anything besides the new engineering building, law school, Schroeder/Cramer, and Cudahy are kinda crap.

One thing with MU is we don't have the greatest facilities. Blow up Lalimure and do a huge renovation of Straz since it has more capacity.

having a B school facility like this will definitely be a positive for MU in recruitment efforts.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:16:15 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 06:26:33 PM »
A social sciences / humanities building always has two strikes against it. First, it doesn’t need to be cutting edge with equipment like a science or engineering building. And second, those majors often don’t generate high wealth alums who are going to write the checks.

Oh and third, those aren’t the “hot” majors that will attract students.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:28:47 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
I feel like you can at the very least make those building something like Sensenbrenner. It's not flashy, but the renovations done to it were very nice. Atriums with lots of windows to study in, decent enough classrooms.

At least I think it was Sensenbrenner, chick and glow can I get a confirmation on that?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 06:52:45 PM »
Any won else heer herd its gonna bee named, Ma and Pa School of Bizness, hey?

If it was, it certainly wouldn't be on the McCormick site.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »

Boom, eat it Marcus Lemonis!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 07:55:01 PM »
Boom, eat it Marcus Lemonis!

If it were him, he would have put out about 30 press releases about it and bought advertising space on the Jumbotron to brag about it. The guy is nothing if not a self promoter.

Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »

What site would you have chosen?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 08:36:28 PM »
The only b-school MU needs.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »
What site would you have chosen?

The original spot per the Strategic Plan, which south of the engineering building as part of Innovation Alley. New fitness center on McCormicks spot
For over 100,years, nearly all academics south of Wisconsin Avenue, most of everything else north of Wisconsin Avenue. Thanks to the ego of someone who, as I understand it, is no longer involved with the project, that's all shot to hell now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:30:53 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »
The original spot south of the engineering building as part of Innovation Alley. New fitness center on McCormicks spot
For over 100,years, nearly all academics south of Wisconsin Avenue, most of everything else north of Wisconsin Avenue. Thanks to the ego of someone, as I understand it, is no longer involved with the project, that's all shot to hell now.

I understand the innovation alley thing, but why do people care which side of the WI ave the academic vs. other buildings are located?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
I understand the innovation alley thing, but why do people care which side of the WI ave the academic vs. other buildings are located?

I kind of like the idea of study on the South Side, partly on the North Side.
Have some patience, FFS.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 08:53:51 PM »
The original spot south of the engineering building as part of Innovation Alley. New fitness center on McCormicks spot
For over 100,years, nearly all academics south of Wisconsin Avenue, most of everything else north of Wisconsin Avenue. Thanks to the ego of someone, as I understand it, is no longer involved with the project, that's all shot to hell now.

The new location is infinitely better than the old. Your opinion is a bad one.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:07:13 PM by jfmu »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »
Feature the corner with your best buildings. Academics over recreation.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:03:06 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
The new location is infinitely better than the old. Your opinion is a bad one.

Your opinion of my opinion is a bad one.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »
The original spot per the Strategic Plan, which south of the engineering building as part of Innovation Alley. New fitness center on McCormicks spot
For over 100,years, nearly all academics south of Wisconsin Avenue, most of everything else north of Wisconsin Avenue. Thanks to the ego of someone who, as I understand it, is no longer involved with the project, that's all shot to hell now.

Chick, the new location is actually better if you look at it from a foot traffic and student pattern...plus while physical connection would have been nice this actually allows for my more focused builds while enabling collaboration.

Yes it started as ego, it's actually the right call

As Bob Ross would say "and theres a happy.little accident"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback