* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 386081 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1475 on: February 19, 2021, 08:23:03 AM »
No one was observing the trainee stick a needle in your arm????????????????

I think they actually were.  This was over a decade ago now, so I can't remember exactly but I do remember having like 3 nurses around me, 2 observing the trainee.  But I also just remember having the needle sticking in my arm completely uncovered.  I'm normally fine with needles, but when you can see it poking your skin up it was kind of weird.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1476 on: February 19, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »
I used to give blood every 8 weeks.  I'm a fairly thin guy so once they tie that band around your arm and have you squeeze like a stress ball a couple times it's pretty easy to find a vein to poke the needle into on me.  It always went quick, to the point sometimes they would comment on how quickly the bag was filling up.  Usually like 10 minutes and it was done, no bruising.  One time they asked me if I was okay with a nurse in training or something getting the bloodwork going.  I don't really care, so I said no problem.  She gets the band around my arm, has me squeeze the stress ball, the vein is sticking out clear as day to see, yet she continues to poke around other areas.  Ultimately she decides the vein sticking way out is the way to go.  She poked around a couple times with the needle, finally gets the needle in, then is like examining it and asks if they ever have trouble with getting blood to flow or whatever.  I told her no, usually it's very quick.  She walks away, leaving the needle totally uncovered, and comes back with one of the full time nurses.  Eventually they pull the needle out and poke it back in and finish it up.  I had a bruise damn near from my shoulder to my wrist when I woke up the next day.

Similar experience here.

All my life, I have been considered an easy draw or IV stick, with a roadmap of well-defined veins on each arm. Then about a year ago a nurse was starting an IV for a minor procedure. After poking around a bit she asks "has anyone ever told you that you have tough veins?" Ummmmm, no. She calls in their 'best' IV starter, who has it flowing in 30 seconds.  ?-(

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1477 on: February 19, 2021, 08:41:04 AM »
Last time I gave blood, I had no problem with the needle prick, but the nurse went on and on about how she was going to a wedding that evening with a couple of colleagues and was planning on calling in sick the next day.  "The last time I went out with these girls, I was calling my son to come pick me up from a Park and Ride at 1:00 AM."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: February 19, 2021, 09:27:39 AM »
I am a tough blood draw.    Vasovagal reaction due to needle phobia.   Weird, because I can be carrying on a normal conversation but my veins just collapse.    A few years back, for the blood draw for my annual work physical, the young lady sent to draw blood ended up in tears after sticking me 5 times.     Had to take 10 minutes to collect herself before she could try anybody else.     They shipped me off to the clinic where I ran my hands under scalding water for 5 minutes before they drew blood from the back of my hand.   

A total of 7 tries that day.    I looked like a junkie. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: February 19, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »
Last time I gave blood, I had no problem with the needle prick, but the nurse went on and on about how she was going to a wedding that evening with a couple of colleagues and was planning on calling in sick the next day.  "The last time I went out with these girls, I was calling my son to come pick me up from a Park and Ride at 1:00 AM."

I donated blood twice this year. The first time, I'm not sure what happened but the needle prick was incredibly painful. It throbbed for a minute or so. I've never had an issue with it before so I have no idea what happened.

The second time everything went perfectly. No pain. Except this was in July and the administrator  was telling me how she never wore a mask outside of work and had just returned from a 50+ person 4th of July party a few days prior. She told me this after she had taken all my vitals and had been touching me for the past five minutes. It was a bit unsettling.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: February 19, 2021, 01:35:22 PM »
I gave semen twice this month. First time the nurse had difficulty, but the 2nd was smooth

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: February 19, 2021, 01:39:30 PM »
I gave semen twice this month. First time the nurse had difficulty, but the 2nd was smooth

RIP

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: February 19, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: February 19, 2021, 04:07:39 PM »
I am invincible!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1484 on: February 19, 2021, 04:20:01 PM »
This was an interesting vaccine finding

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1362777230972231680?s=21

Would that work in reverse?  If you got both shots, but then contracted covid, would your body respond the same way?  Or is the fact that you were unlucky enough to get covid after a vaccine enough to counteract all the "good" (5% ers)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1485 on: February 19, 2021, 08:07:45 PM »
A Michigan business is offering an interesting incentive for getting a COVID vaccine.

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/business/marijuana-store-continues-promotion-of-pot-for-shots-through-march-31/article_b3522228-72f0-11eb-be1a-cb747f862a8e.html

A marijuana store in Oakland County is extending its “Pot for Shots” program through March 31, giving a free pre-roll to people who can provide proof of having a COVID-19 vaccination.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:09:57 PM by GooooMarquette »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1486 on: February 19, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »
A marijuana store in Oakland County is extending its “Pot for Shots” program through March 31, giving a free pre-roll to people who can provide proof of having a COVID-19 vaccination.

Hah.  Given that phase 1 is generally medical and elderly, I hope the old folks are toking up!  Though the medical workers deserve to after the past year.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1487 on: February 21, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Hah.  Given that phase 1 is generally medical and elderly, I hope the old folks are toking up!  Though the medical workers deserve to after the past year.

I think most people would be surprised at how many elderly take mj in some form..

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1488 on: February 21, 2021, 01:50:42 PM »
I think most people would be surprised at how many elderly take mj in some form..

Grandma always baked the most wonderful brownies.

Seriously though, I think you’re right. And it’s a heck of a lot less harmful than cigarettes or even alcohol.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: February 21, 2021, 02:02:40 PM »

The ingestibles are quite popular.     Because the boomers grew up with it, why should they fear it in gummie form?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: February 21, 2021, 08:43:20 PM »
The ingestibles are quite popular.     Because the boomers grew up with it, why should they fear it in gummie form?

My grandma is in her 80s, on oxygen, so she obviously can’t smoke, but she’s an avid user of CBD products for some of her ailments.  One of her nephews brought her a THC gummy not long ago (Grandma the criminal deviant!!) and she loved the effects.  If WI legalizes, she will absolutely use.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: February 21, 2021, 10:05:01 PM »
Probably because I still have the antibodies, shot 1 is hitting me like the anecdotes say shot 2 hits you.

Pfizer.

Chick Jr got knocked on her butt from Pfizer shot #1 as well, and that was my thought - that her bout of Covid  acted like her first shot in terms of antibody reaction.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 11:35:56 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: February 22, 2021, 05:05:20 AM »
Preliminary data says people in the same boat as Chick jr and I don't need the second shot.   I strongly suspect our employers won't see it that way.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:10:31 AM by tower912 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1493 on: February 22, 2021, 10:09:48 AM »

Preliminary data says people in the same boat as Chick jr and I don't need the second shot.   I strongly suspect our employees won't see it that way.

Makes a lot of sense from an immunologic standpoint. Your initial infection likely triggered the same type of immune response that others generate from the first shot.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: February 22, 2021, 01:55:19 PM »
My 91 year old Auntie now has two different location options to get the vaccine. Previously, up until the end of last week, she had no options. Progress. Looks as though it will be Moderna for her next week.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:57:04 PM by shoothoops »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: February 22, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
My 91 year old Auntie now has two different location options to get the vaccine.

The arm or the ass?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1496 on: February 22, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »
The arm or the ass?

Four options, then.

Left or right arm. Left or right cheek.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1497 on: February 22, 2021, 04:52:00 PM »
Cool video from NPR showing how herd immunity can prevent little outbreaks from getting too big.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLm8T-UMAeS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: February 23, 2021, 08:41:29 AM »
Connecticut released it's full vaccination schedule yesterday.

Schedule for CT:

March 1: Expands to the age group 55 to 64 and all teachers.
March 22: Expands to age group 45 to 54
April 12: Expands to age group 35 to 44
May 3: Expands to age group 16 to 34

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1499 on: February 23, 2021, 09:22:12 AM »
Connecticut released it's full vaccination schedule yesterday.

Schedule for CT:

March 1: Expands to the age group 55 to 64 and all teachers.
March 22: Expands to age group 45 to 54
April 12: Expands to age group 35 to 44
May 3: Expands to age group 16 to 34

That is amazing! If they actually get the supply and can vaccinate everyone in each age group that wants it on that schedule, it will be a remarkable success. My fear would be if they open to younger groups before all willing members of the older groups have been vaccinated...in which case it could become a free for all. Hope they have a plan to maintain the relative priorities.

They should provide better guidance like that in more states. Even if they don't give exact dates, it would be nice to confirm whether or not they are going to incrementally prioritize by age like in CT, or just open it up after the 65+ crowd is done. I have tried to find the answer here in MN, and nobody can tell me.