'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek  (Read 12336 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Kolek
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2024, 07:10:56 AM »
Hoping he looked at the scoreboard and went “nah, they’re fine, I don’t have to push myself”.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2024, 07:20:25 AM »
Unusual to hear of basketball player with this injury.  I literally don’t recall another example in college or NBA. If there is example, would love to hear how long player(s) missed.  Baseball players miss weeks with this as I recall.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 07:23:21 AM by HutchwasClutch »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2024, 07:46:03 AM »
If I had to guess, Tyler will miss Saturday at minimum as a precaution

I'd guess closer to 30/11/8

OK, HowardsWorld and TSmith set the parameters. Using those, we'll put the O/U at:

15/5.5/4

The majority of categories wins (e.g., 16/6/3 would be Over; 14/6/3 would be Under).

I'm taking the Over. Sincerely hope I'm right.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2024, 07:54:31 AM »
Not sure what to make of the fact that he returned to the game briefly after he went to the locker room once and then decided quickly that he needed to come out.

Hopefully an indication that it isn’t too serious and that he can return to action without limitation after some treatment, even if he has to miss the rest of the regular season and BET.

In addition to the Dominic James flashbacks that we have all had, I am flashing back to last year’s NCAA where I will always believe that Kolek’s thumb injury was a significant factor in his subpar game against MSU.

I'm hoping that the  20 point lead had a little something to do with why TyKo checked out of the game and stayed out. I'd like to think that he was saying (or at least thinking), "I can go" and the staff convinced him that the game was in hand and he should take the rest of the night off.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2024, 07:58:36 AM »
Not sure what to make of the fact that he returned to the game briefly after he went to the locker room once and then decided quickly that he needed to come out.

Hopefully an indication that it isn’t too serious and that he can return to action without limitation after some treatment, even if he has to miss the rest of the regular season and BET.

In addition to the Dominic James flashbacks that we have all had, I am flashing back to last year’s NCAA where I will always believe that Kolek’s thumb injury was a significant factor in his subpar game against MSU.

Agreed. This seems to get overlooked often. He had been playing at such a high level for many games before that and was a shell of himself v MSU. Between that, D James's foot and Diener's hand, late season injuries have been aggravating. Glad Tyler came out quickly last night rather than try to play through it. Just have to hope it is a mild strain but will be really unfortunate if he can't play these next two with the way the team has been playing. Deep breaths. Wait and see.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2024, 07:59:55 AM »
At least we have a good excuse for getting bounced the first weekend!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2024, 08:15:42 AM »
and a good excuse for slipping deep into the 3 seed line...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2024, 08:37:53 AM »
and a good excuse for slipping deep into the 3 seed line...

Not happening.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2024, 09:08:33 AM »
Believe they said he felt something after making a pass.

This happened to me at the Avalanche, 1981.  Failed miserably with the tall brunette...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2024, 09:21:44 AM »
Unusual to hear of basketball player with this injury.  I literally don’t recall another example in college or NBA. If there is example, would love to hear how long player(s) missed.  Baseball players miss weeks with this as I recall.

Marcus Smart was out about a month with one
https://www.nba.com/news/report-marcus-smart-torn-oblique-out-two-rounds

Same with Cole Anthony
https://www.nba.com/magic/news/orlando-magic-cole-anthony-injury-update-right-internal-oblique-muscle-injury-story-20221027

Dillin Brooks missed about two weeks
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rahathuq/2024/01/14/rockets-forward-dillon-brooks-returns-from-injury/?sh=4fc496ec3df5

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2024, 09:26:04 AM »
Marcus Smart was out about a month with one
https://www.nba.com/news/report-marcus-smart-torn-oblique-out-two-rounds

Same with Cole Anthony
https://www.nba.com/magic/news/orlando-magic-cole-anthony-injury-update-right-internal-oblique-muscle-injury-story-20221027

Dillin Brooks missed about two weeks
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rahathuq/2024/01/14/rockets-forward-dillon-brooks-returns-from-injury/?sh=4fc496ec3df5
Seeing Markannen missing a month in 2020 and Shabazz missing a month as well in 2015. So as far as NBA oblique timelines, it appears a month is most common. But we obviously don't know the extent of Kolek's strain.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2024, 10:14:32 AM »
TKo “will be limited, might be out for a while” is what I’m hearing.

Then again he was a dead man walking after the ankle injury and scored 500 against Illinois. But just reporting what I was just told a few min ago.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2024, 10:18:44 AM »
TKo “will be limited, might be out for a while” is what I’m hearing.

Then again he was a dead man walking after the ankle injury and scored 500 against Illinois. But just reporting what I was just told a few min ago.

By whom?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2024, 10:23:40 AM »
By whom?

Yeah. Not telling you that. And I know everyone questions sources, but I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t trust the source with the two initials behind his name who is closely associated with the team.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2024, 10:31:27 AM »
In addition to having no idea of the relative severity of Kolek’s injury, I’m not sure if the NBA situations are the same.

In the NBA load management is common, so there is no reason at all to rush a player back. They might come back sooner if it were playoff time, but NBA teams have the luxury of playing the long game.

While it would stink for the team to have him miss the big games coming up, if we knew that Kolek would be out for the rest of the regular season and BET, but be as close to full strength as possible for the NCAA first round, I think most of us would take that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2024, 10:35:05 AM »
Yeah. Not telling you that. And I know everyone questions sources, but I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t trust the source...who is closely associated with the team.

Frankly, you should have stopped there. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Either you've got a legitimate source that you really should protect (which, for some reason, I am inclined to believe) or you're full of crap. Assuming you're talking about a legitimate source, there's really no reason to give that additional information about him. There's no upside and you really don't want to cause him any problems.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2024, 10:36:52 AM »
M.D. is a better source in this situation than S.J.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2024, 10:37:05 AM »
Frankly, you should have stopped there. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Either you've got a legitimate source that you really should protect (which, for some reason, I am inclined to believe) or you're full of crap. Assuming you're talking about a legitimate source, there's really no reason to give that additional information about him. There's no upside and you really don't want to cause him any problems.

Touché

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2024, 10:38:29 AM »
In addition to having no idea of the relative severity of Kolek’s injury, I’m not sure if the NBA situations are the same.

In the NBA load management is common, so there is no reason at all to rush a player back. They might come back sooner if it were playoff time, but NBA teams have the luxury of playing the long game.

Marcus Smart's injury came at the start of the playoffs. Don't think it was a load management situation.
But yeah, there are great variations in any kind of muscle strain. Kolek could play Saturday or he could be done for the season. We'll see.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2024, 10:40:10 AM »
In addition to having no idea of the relative severity of Kolek’s injury...

This is what I'm hoping. By definition, the oblique injuries that are going to be reported on are those that are more serious that will cause missed time. I suspect that there are less severe cases that never get reported because they're just tweaks that cause pain/discomfort but don't affect playing time.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2024, 10:40:34 AM »
More credible with D.D.S. after his/her name, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2024, 10:44:49 AM »
Only when dealing with a chipped tooth

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2024, 10:51:18 AM »
Hard to see them winning either of the next 2 without Kolek should he not play...

Even if he does it will be tough...

Anyone know the tiebreaker for the 2/3 seeds should Marquette and Creighton have the same record and split the 2 matchups?
VIOLENCE!

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2024, 10:51:26 AM »
When is it common to have an official update on his status? This afternoon?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2024, 10:51:32 AM »
Heard from a source (can't say who -journalistic integrity and all) that Tyler had his oblique amputated this morning

feedback