'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving on to the 19-20 Season  (Read 55312 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
Sure they are, it happens in the business world all the time, but..how good is the replacement?? Are they better then what you had, the same, or worse?? If they are worse, how many other people in the organization have to pick up the slack and, maybe the biggest question is, are they capable of picking up the slack enough to see no drop off from the person(s) that left your organization to the point where there is no noticeable drop off in production or your business model??

Whoa whoa whoa.  When some of us make the exact same argument about Wojo’s replacement and the unknowns, you go ballistic and attack. 

Amazing hypocrisy.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2019, 08:01:41 AM »
Not really.  Actually consistent with his narrative that Wojo is a bad coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2019, 09:56:34 AM »
How do we know this for certain though?? We don't 100% know that Wojo will revamp everything to fit his personnel. He hasn't had to for basically 3 years. Is he capable/and willing to do so?? You hope so/think so, but we do have evidence of him doing things over and over and over again even when it's not working. He has a hard time making in game adjustments, I'm skeptical as to whether or not he will change as dramatically as he'll need to for next year's team, and if he does, will he chose the proper way to do it?? And if after awhile that isn't working, will he then again, be astute enough to see it, and alter again??
You are pointing out the one fly in the ointment to my view that the team is going to be very good next year. That being that Wojo is not up to the job. My hope/current thinking is that the players , specifically Markus, can overcome Wojo ability to provide high quality leadership . I have seen teams win despite a mediocre coach. I
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
You are pointing out the one fly in the ointment to my view that the team is going to be very good next year. That being that Wojo is not up to the job. My hope/current thinking is that the players , specifically Markus, can overcome Wojo ability to provide high quality leadership . I have seen teams win despite a mediocre coach. I
You?
Goal is National Championship

muguru

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa.  When some of us make the exact same argument about Wojo’s replacement and the unknowns, you go ballistic and attack. 

Amazing hypocrisy.

Not hypocrisy...they CAN get better than Wojo, that's what seems lost on you for some reason. Theydon't have adequate replacements for the Hauser's(at least not Sam), that is also a fact.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
Some of the same people who knew in advance Hausers were leaving also said if they stay, others are going. 

Believe what you wish, you still think Buzz is the Virgin Mary so I cannot help you.

Move on

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »
So, in the end, Chartouny, Heldt, Sam, and Joey left.   Koby, Greg, Jayce, Dexter, and Symir are arriving.    More turnover than expected.    Definitely going to be a different roster make up than we are used to.    But in the end,  and moving on, there are a lot of pieces.     MU is going to get a bunch of extra practices as well as the games in Spain for Wojo to start figuring out how to use them all.     Moving on..... there is reason for optimism.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »

Nice, 9-9-9. Way to C.Y.A. on this.

You had stated numerous times that you think we're going to be excellent next season. Now you have set it up so that if we aren't, it will be 100% Wojo's fault.

Awwww, shucky ducky!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
Not hypocrisy...they CAN get better than Wojo, that's what seems lost on you for some reason. Theydon't have adequate replacements for the Hauser's(at least not Sam), that is also a fact.

Complete hypocrisy.  Yes, MU can do better, they can also do worse than Wojo....but you didn’t use that argument, only on the player side of the argument.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
Nice, 9-9-9. Way to C.Y.A. on this.

You had stated numerous times that you think we're going to be excellent next season. Now you have set it up so that if we aren't, it will be 100% Wojo's fault.

Awwww, shucky ducky!
We are going to be excellent. I love the make up of the team sans The Hausers.  I am just pointing out that one of my assumptions about our greatness is that the kids ignore the coach and just win.  That assumption is based on the fact that Markus needs to demonstrate he can be the coach on the floor in order to have a shot at getting drafted.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:53:53 PM by Herman Cain »
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2019, 07:59:55 PM »
We are going to be excellent. I love the make up of the team sans The Hausers.  I am just pointing out that one of my assumptions about our greatness is that the kids ignore the coach and just win.  That assumption is based on the fact that Markus needs to demonstrate he can be the coach on the floor in order to have a shot at getting drafted.

This is fantastic. If we win, it's because the players ignored Wojo. If we lose, it's because of Wojo. Master manipulation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2019, 08:28:45 PM »
This is fantastic. If we win, it's because the players ignored Wojo. If we lose, it's because of Wojo. Master manipulation
I have felt for several years now that we win or lose based on the kids.   2016-17 the kids did about as well as they could and we had a solid and enjoyable season. 2017-18 I think the kids slightly under performed .mostly do to not showing up in a couple of key games. 2018-19 the kids held it together for a while, but eventually the team chemistry was so bad we so what happened. Wojo is good at recruiting, average at game coaching ,weak at motivating/ leadership and very good to great at corporate a#$$ kissing. So bottom line we keep getting the resources, bring in a few Big East level talented kids and it is up to the young men to make it all work.

---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2019, 08:31:25 PM »
I have felt for several years now that we win or lose based on the kids.   2016-17 the kids did about as well as they could and we had a solid and enjoyable season. 2017-18 I think the kids slightly under performed .mostly do to not showing up in a couple of key games. 2018-19 the kids held it together for a while, but eventually the team chemistry was so bad we so what happened. Wojo is good at recruiting, average at game coaching ,weak at motivating/ leadership and very good to great at corporate a#$$ kissing. So bottom line we keep getting the resources, bring in a few Big East level talented kids and it is up to the young men to make it all work.

Your view is as believable as when you were claiming you were on Quentin Grimes’s official visit at Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »

I repeat again. If we're good, it's in spite of Wojo. If we're bad, it's because of Wojo. Masterpiece work.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
I repeat again. If we're good, it's in spite of Wojo. If we're bad, it's because of Wojo. Masterpiece work.

And whether they are good or bad, you're going to love Wojo and want him to keep his job TAMU. That's a fact. You are so hell bent on stability, whether it is wojo or someone else, no matter the results, no matter how average of a Coach they may be, you'd want them kept for the sake of "stability". results be damned.

They could go 1-17 in the Big east this year and your refrain would be "You don't fire a Coach based on results, you fire a Coach because you feel it's best for the program". You'd still defend him. I want him to/hope he turns it around because I'm an MU fan, he's the Coach, and he's the hope I have right now, I have no other choice. Here's hoping that in some strange way the Hauser's bolting changes him, and from it, he becomes a great Coach.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2019, 09:25:24 PM »
And whether they are good or bad, you're going to love Wojo and want him to keep his job TAMU. That's a fact. You are so hell bent on stability, whether it is wojo or someone else, no matter the results, no matter how average of a Coach they may be, you'd want them kept for the sake of "stability". results be damned.

They could go 1-17 in the Big east this year and your refrain would be "You don't fire a Coach based on results, you fire a Coach because you feel it's best for the program". You'd still defend him. I want him to/hope he turns it around because I'm an MU fan, he's the Coach, and he's the hope I have right now, I have no other choice. Here's hoping that in some strange way the Hauser's bolting changes him, and from it, he becomes a great Coach.
I agree with this analysis.
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

😂😂😂😂
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »

I’ll bet a lot of money TAMU wouldn’t say keep him if he went 1-17.  I’d bet you’d say keep him if they went 17-1 and got upset in the first round of the tourney.  Rightly so.

TAMU hits the nail on the head, success for some is in spite of the coach.  Failure is the fault of the coach for them as well. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »

Silliness.

More silliness. And factually incorrect, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »

I don't give a shiit about stability. I care about results. It just happens that programs that are stable tend have good results and vice versa. As long as the program is trending up, I am for keeping the coach. If we plateaued for too long or the program started trending downward, I would be for a change in leadership.

They could go 1-17 in the Big east this year and your refrain would be "You don't fire a Coach based on results, you fire a Coach because you feel it's best for the program". You'd still defend him.

You are right about the refrain, but wrong about the result. If Wojo goes 1-17, firing him would be what's best for the program.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:08:36 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »

I disagree, to me its Juvenile  manipulation.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2019, 12:00:45 AM »
I disagree, to me its Juvenile  manipulation.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
I don't give a shiit about stability. I care about results. It just happens that programs that are stable tend have good results and vice versa. As long as the program is trending up, I am for keeping the coach. If we plateaued for too long or the program started trending downward, I would be for a change in leadership.

You are right about the refrain, but wrong about the result. If Wojo goes 1-17, firing him would be what's best for the program.
MU had a very good program  that was nationally respected during the Crean/Buzz era. Consistently made the tournament and won tournament games . Occasionally , a deeper run. MU produced meaningful NBA talent . MU has definitely taken a step down in the Wojo era.  MU is now producing at a level that a program like Creighton would find acceptable. The program has all the resources necessary to get back to the Crean/Buzz era.   

I give Wojo credit for the positive things he does. I believe he is a good recruiter and he has embraced the history and tradition of MU. Unfortunately , he just doesn't have what it takes to move the program back to where it was under Crean/Buzz. The Hauser defection is evidence of that.

I am very enthusiastic about the coming season sans the Hausers.  We have depth at every position, good team chemistry and for the first time in a long time we will have a Crean/Buzz style athletic  roster .  My belief is that the team will deliver on their promise. Nothing would make me more happy than to see MU step up and win The Big East. I would be the first person to congratulate Wojo.

Hopefully, a good job opens up next year that will pony up the money needed to dislodge Wojo. Stan is waiting in the wings and will do great things for MU when he gets his shot.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2019, 01:54:30 AM »
MU had a very good program  that was nationally respected during the Crean/Buzz era. Consistently made the tournament and won tournament games . Occasionally , a deeper run. MU produced meaningful NBA talent . MU has definitely taken a step down in the Wojo era.  MU is now producing at a level that a program like Creighton would find acceptable. The program has all the resources necessary to get back to the Crean/Buzz era.

The myth of success under Crean and Buzz is one of the bigger ones told on this board. All it took was one surprise defection to the NBA for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down. Wojo was tasked with rebuilding that foundation with something sturdier than cards.

I give Wojo credit for the positive things he does. I believe he is a good recruiter and he has embraced the history and tradition of MU. Unfortunately , he just doesn't have what it takes to move the program back to where it was under Crean/Buzz. The Hauser defection is evidence of that.

I am very enthusiastic about the coming season sans the Hausers.  We have depth at every position, good team chemistry and for the first time in a long time we will have a Crean/Buzz style athletic  roster .  My belief is that the team will deliver on their promise. Nothing would make me more happy than to see MU step up and win The Big East. I would be the first person to congratulate Wojo.

Hopefully, a good job opens up next year that will pony up the money needed to dislodge Wojo. Stan is waiting in the wings and will do great things for MU when he gets his shot.

So if we are successful, you would be one of the first to congratulate Wojo....but you said earlier that if we were successful it would be because the players ignored Wojo....and while you were congratulating Wojo you would be hoping that he gets picked off by another program so you could get rid of him....something doesn't compute here.
TAMU

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2019, 04:12:36 AM »
How do we have a clue what the team chemistry is really like in the locker room? Look how bad it was last year and no one had any idea? I think Wojo is a good man who does things the right way but has
no style of coaching that he can call his own

feedback