collapse

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129974 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5700 on: May 20, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Can anyone explain the people who drive with their masks on??

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5701 on: May 20, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
Preloading.   Going from place to place.  Acknowledging they're ugly and doing the rest of us a favor.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5702 on: May 20, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »

For me, it’s easier to put on or off at home. Especially with washing hands.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5703 on: May 20, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »

Mine is a PITA to take on and off... so when I get a good fit and I have multiple stops, I just leave it on.  Plus, then I'm not taking it off and touching it more than I need to.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5704 on: May 20, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »

If you just follow those steps, getting sick BECAUSE of wearing a mask is virtually eliminated.  The danger is really in your hands, and what else you've touched.   It's unlikely COVID germs would have been "deposited" on your mask - unless you were too close to people, or one of those heathens  referenced above coughed on you :) (Joke - take it easy...)

Not trying to start anything but if it is unlikely covid germs got on my mask would it not be unlikely covid germs got in my mouth/nose/eyes? 
I have always thought it was a lot more likely to have germs on your hands than for them to pop into you mouth. 
I have a mask that i pull up from neck that i wear so i am not against masks just asking a question

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5705 on: May 20, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »

Wash hands thoroughly.
Put on mask with clean hands.
Get in car and run errands.
Get home and wash hands thoroughly.
Take off mask with clean hands.

You don’t want to touch or adjust your mask with potentially contaminated hands.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5706 on: May 20, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
Not trying to start anything but if it is unlikely covid germs got on my mask would it not be unlikely covid germs got in my mouth/nose/eyes? 
I have always thought it was a lot more likely to have germs on your hands than for them to pop into you mouth. 
I have a mask that i pull up from neck that i wear so i am not against masks just asking a question

Mask is to keep your germs in, not to keep them out.  Unless you have an N95 you're wearing that is fitted properly. 

To your other point, yes, any mucous membrane can catch the virus.  The virus survives in droplets... so it is spread when people talk, sneeze, cough, or touch their hands to any droplets that contain the virus. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5707 on: May 20, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
This sums up a lot in one poll.  From CNN

Views of Coronavirus outbreak

Republicans
71% the worst is behind us
26% the worst is yet to come

Democrats
23% the worst is behind us
74% the worst is yet to come

Independents
44% the worst is behind us
51% the worst is yet to become

Tribalism is alive.  College graduates nearly split. Non college grads more in the worst is yet to come camp.  Women more worried than men.  Whites less worried than non-whites.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5708 on: May 20, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »

Tribalism is alive.

"Lifelong Democrat"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5709 on: May 20, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
This sums up a lot in one poll.  From CNN

Views of Coronavirus outbreak

Republicans
71% the worst is behind us
26% the worst is yet to come

Democrats
23% the worst is behind us
74% the worst is yet to come

Independents
44% the worst is behind us
51% the worst is yet to become

Tribalism is alive.  College graduates nearly split. Non college grads more in the worst is yet to come camp.  Women more worried than men.  Whites less worried than non-whites.

I can explain the underlined in one sentence. Democrats are more likely to believe in science, whereas Republicans are more likely to believe “whatever he just said” (see, e.g., Hydroxychloroquine debate).

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5710 on: May 20, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »
Texas church closes after priest dies, members get coronavirus - https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-texas-death-church-priest-reopen

A Texas church canceled Mass services just days after reopening after a priest died and several members of his religious order tested positive for the coronavirus.
Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston reopened its doors on May 2, as the Lone Star State began loosening its stay-at-home orders.
But on May 14, the parish canceled all services after Father Donnell Kirchner died. Five members of the congregation tested positive for COVID-19, church officials said Monday.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5711 on: May 20, 2020, 04:08:21 PM »

I can explain the underlined in one sentence. Democrats are more likely to believe in science, whereas Republicans are more likely to believe “whatever he just said” (see, e.g., Hydroxychloroquine debate).

The science is settled, aina?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5712 on: May 20, 2020, 04:18:18 PM »

I think this is a broad brush.  However, I think it is more a symptom of the lost opportunity to unite the country. 

Science is always evolving, but stoking the divisions and contradicting the experts employed by the executive branch nearly every step of the way has left many people exhausted (or energized I guess).  That's why I sadly have given up -- all I care about at this point is my state/region since we were told to figure it out ourselves, my friends/family and my work colleagues.  I want to care about more, but I think that ship has sailed .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:28:01 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5713 on: May 20, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »
I don't see this turning out well for the country. Instead of following the advice of CDC and peer-reviewed data, the White House is actively seeking out doctors who agree with his views, with a promise of TV time if they say the right thing. Note: this article is from the politically-central Associated Press.

Trump allies lining up doctors to prescribe rapid reopening

https://apnews.com/4ee1a3a8d631b454f645b2a8d9597de7

Republican political operatives are recruiting “extremely pro-Trump” doctors to go on television to prescribe reviving the U.S. economy as quickly as possible, without waiting to meet safety benchmarks proposed by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

The plan was discussed in a May 11 conference call with a senior staffer for the Trump reelection campaign organized by CNP Action, an affiliate of the GOP-aligned Council for National Policy. A leaked recording of the hourlong call was provided to The Associated Press by the Center for Media and Democracy, a progressive watchdog group.

This is absolutely terrifying.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5714 on: May 20, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
I think this is a broad brush.  However, I think it is more a symptom of the lost opportunity to unite the country. 

Science is always evolving, but stoking the divisions and contradicting the experts employed by the executive branch nearly every step of the way has left many people exhausted (or energized I guess).  That's why I sadly have given up -- all I care about at this point is my state/region since we were told to figure it out ourselves, my family and my work colleagues.  I want to care about more, but I think that ship has sailed .

Yes, it is a broad brush generalization, but when you read or listen to listen to the “liberal“ and “conservative“ news outlets, the distinction becomes quite apparent. And that was the case long before Trump or Covid (see the climate change debate, for example).

In response to both you and my friend Ziggy - no, the science is not settled. Far from it. That’s the nature of science. But if you read about what the well-established scientific journals are saying, you can get a pretty good sense of where things currently stand. And for hydroxychloroquine, the clear scientific consensus indicates that the risks far outweigh any benefits. If that changes and the results of ongoing clinical trials show otherwise, I will gladly advocate for its use.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5715 on: May 20, 2020, 04:37:49 PM »
This is absolutely terrifying.

My thought exactly. I am pretty surprised the story isn’t getting more airtime, but with all that is going on in the world, it seems that “terrifying“ barely moves the needle anymore.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5716 on: May 20, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

As hards pointed out - in the non-medical setting (grocery store, etc) the masks are are mostly to keep your "droplets" from getting far away from you and reaching someone else.  Yes, they also provide some protection against germs getting in - but that depends on the type of mask you wear and how it is fitted. 

To your point about "would it not be unlikely covid germs got in my mouth/nose/eyes" - the idea here is much like "herd immunity".  The concept really only works if we have "herd mask wearing".    If you're the lone guy at the grocery wearing a mask - you should probably find another grocery. The mask there will do you little good - and everybody else is already gambling with your well-being by being a potential germ spreader.

At least - that's the theory. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5717 on: May 20, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
My thought exactly. I am pretty surprised the story isn’t getting more airtime, but with all that is going on in the world, it seems that “terrifying“ barely moves the needle anymore.
I would definitely change doctors.   Or dentists.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5718 on: May 20, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »
As hards pointed out - in the non-medical setting (grocery store, etc) the masks are are mostly to keep your "droplets" from getting far away from you and reaching someone else.  Yes, they also provide some protection against germs getting in - but that depends on the type of mask you wear and how it is fitted. 

To your point about "would it not be unlikely covid germs got in my mouth/nose/eyes" - the idea here is much like "herd immunity".  The concept really only works if we have "herd mask wearing".    If you're the lone guy at the grocery wearing a mask - you should probably find another grocery. The mask there will do you little good - and everybody else is already gambling with your well-being by being a potential germ spreader.

At least - that's the theory.

To add to this point, the people not wearing the masks get called, "selfish jerks" because that is how it comes off.  That person doesn't care enough about the people they are interacting with to wear a simple piece of cloth over their face.  Their 'rights' or their 'beliefs' supersede their ability to care about other people.   

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5719 on: May 20, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »
This is an honest question, in any enclosed public space, I’m masked up...but I go out for walks 2x a day, but generally keep my mask down, but will happily put it back up as a see folks approach if we can’t be six apart.  This cool?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5720 on: May 20, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »
This is an honest question, in any enclosed public space, I’m masked up...but I go out for walks 2x a day, but generally keep my mask down, but will happily put it back up as a see folks approach if we can’t be six apart.  This cool?

I do that.  I am less worried about contaminating myself with the mask—particularly outside.  So pull up/down on the bandana is how I roll. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5721 on: May 20, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »
Should be.   

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5722 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

I rarely take my mask if I'm outdoors, know I can keep away from people, and won't approach people in that situation.  I don't think it's "uncool" at all.  If the virus spreads outdoors at 10+ ft walking.  Well, shoot me now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5723 on: May 20, 2020, 08:37:40 PM »

Totally cool regarding others.

Just make sure you don’t touch any potentially contaminated things between touching your mask, so you don’t infect yourself.

jesmu84

• All American

feedback