Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Punched, hit or grabbed?  (Read 36793 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Punched, hit or grabbed?
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
It is still a slur for people of the LGBTQ community.

Wait. Doesn't the Q in the community stand for "queer"? Are they slurring themselves?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
Lenny

Could imagine if JayBee would have made that comment? If 4ever would say that, he would cause butthurt across the site.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
Wait. Doesn't the Q in the community stand for "queer"? Are they slurring themselves?

I've often wondered this.

Your other points are nonsensical but this one's solid
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »

I believe it stands for “Questioning.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
Duh. It was a gay joke/slur. You "guys" are spending way too much time staring at a "guy's" nuts, aina.

Actually think you just proved their point. No one got offended over a joke, it's the repeated and proud use of a slur.

Make jokes all people want, just don't use knowingly offensive slurs like the N word, h and f words to describe gay people, etc and we're all good.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
MU03ENG

So gay jokes are OK?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »

Taught it stood four "queen," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »
Just catching up on scoop and spent way too much time already this morning reading all of these posts, but this one is interesting to me.  I'm in the 55+ group, so I can tell you growing up my mother would often tell me to stop monkeying around.  It's when I was restless, fidgety, and acting like a monkey.  Go to the zoo and watch the monkeys.  So if someone said "Joseph Chartouney (sp?)should stop monkeying around with the ball", is that offensive?  The problem IMHO, is over time as SOME people begin to use a word as a slur ie. monkey related to a person of a particular race, then it becomes a "slur".  Who determines that?  10% of the population?  30%? 50 %?  So if everyone one 55 and over doesn't view it as a slur, but everyone under 25 does, then who's right?  Who gets to decide?

I live by the following:

At some point a term may have been "socially acceptable" so if you used it then it wasn't because you were racist, sexist, etc but because you weren't exposed to the hurt those terms have.  At some point, that term is no longer "socially acceptable" so if you continue to use it then you are either 1.  Sexist, Racist, etc or 2. Ignorant.  Either way, when you use the term you are insulting yourself.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
Monkeying around I'd agree with you, I could understand a viewpoint however where it is considered offensive.

I spent the better part of two years in litigation with the EEOC because they insisted that the phrase "got the monkey off of his back" was a racist phrase.  It's not.  At all.  And I don't think "monkeying around" is racist.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
This is what happens when we have 10 days between games.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »
I think it's a combination of exactly what you said - some people start using a phrase/word as a slur and it makes it taboo - and a general social awareness about certain words.  There is no magic % or formula. 

A great example of this is that I am one of the coaches for my 4th graders basketball team.  Our first practice the head coach - fellow dad - comes up to me and says "i'd like to start them off running suicides but i'm sure we shouldn't call them that, what are they called now?"  Since this has become an age reveal thread  ;) I'm 52 and had no idea, turns out they are called 'lines'.  We joked that when cocaine makes its big comeback they'll have to be called something else.

Just within the last couple days I saw an article arguing against using the phrase "it's like crack" when describing a food that is really hard to resist.  They contend that it makes light of addiction, and also has "classist" undertones.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
I've often wondered this.

Your other points are nonsensical but this one's solid

Thanks. Every once in a blue moon you say something that makes sense, too!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
I spent the better part of two years in litigation with the EEOC because they insisted that the phrase "got the monkey off of his back" was a racist phrase. 

This says it all.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
Lenny

No he doesn’t. Who you crappin?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
Duh. It was a gay joke/slur. You "guys" are spending way too much time staring at a "guy's" nuts, aina.

Well no, it's definitely not a slur. If she said "you homos are thinking"....or something along those lines it would be a slur. I guess it can be interpreted as a gay joke, but that's not how I read it. I think the concept of anyone spending a lot of time think about a nut shot to anyone to be hilarious. But if that's how you interpreted it and were offended by it then you are well within your rights to say something. I certainly won't criticize you if you choose to do so.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
I spent the better part of two years in litigation with the EEOC because they insisted that the phrase "got the monkey off of his back" was a racist phrase.  It's not.  At all.  And I don't think "monkeying around" is racist.

Bingo Bango Bongo

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Just within the last couple days I saw an article arguing against using the phrase "it's like crack" when describing a food that is really hard to resist.  They contend that it makes light of addiction, and also has "classist" undertones.

There is a restaurant in Madison that recently changed the name of it's "crack fries" after some public backlash.   That's an example of something that wasn't offensive to me but I can take a step back, see how someone else finds it offensive,  and say ok, that change is for the best.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Hopcat.   Based here.  Saw an interview with the founder.  Makes sense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »

To your first question it depends on who you ask. Some say queer, some say questioning.

To your second question, no. Queer is what's called a reclaimed word in some sections of the LGBTQ community. A reclaimed word is when a community takes an offensive word and tries to take its power away by "claiming" it. Wearing it as a badge of pride almost. Some people identify as queer. If someone tells you "I identify as queer" then it is appropriate to say this "person identifies as queer." It would not be appropriate to just refer to any LGBTQ person as queer. And it is never appropriate to call someone a queer.

To be clear, this is not a universally accepted idea in the LGBTQ community. Many still despise the word and don't think it should be used ever. What is acceptable to some is not acceptable to others. And that is okay. The important part is respecting another person when their threshold is lower than yours.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
TAMU-

I am unable to understand your reasoning on "slurpers."  Directing that comment at a heterosexual male seems to be very much a gay slur.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Lenny

Could imagine if JayBee would have made that comment? If 4ever would say that, he would cause butthurt across the site.

I honestly don't think so. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly wouldn't have said anything and would have laughed. I have seen JayBee and 4ever make many a post along these lines that go by completely unaddressed.

The root of this conversation is whether or not the phrase no homo, specifically the word homo is acceptable. I think homo is a slur and that opinion is backed by neutral sources like the dictionary.

I'm trying to understand. Is the problem that people don't agree that homo isn't a slur? Or is the problem that people think it shouldn't matter if homo is a slur? I'm honestly trying to understand.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
TAMU

Check out the 90-33 thread. Pretty certain 4ever had post on there that got your attention.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #197 on: December 14, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
TAMU-

I am unable to understand your reasoning on "slurpers."  Directing that comment at a heterosexual male seems to be very much a gay slur.

The way I understand that insult is that it is about a sex act not about a sexual orientation. Men and women of all orientations can slurp. Also I personally have heard it a lot more in reference to women then to men. Put another way, the word slurper insults someone based on something they do, slurs insult someone based on who they are. Things like the F-word, N-word, homo, dago, etc bother me a lot more than things like slurper or motherfer.

Don't get me wrong, it's a disgusting insult and not one I would ever use. It just doesn't bother me as much personally.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #198 on: December 14, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
There is a restaurant in Madison that recently changed the name of it's "crack fries" after some public backlash.   That's an example of something that wasn't offensive to me but I can take a step back, see how someone else finds it offensive,  and say ok, that change is for the best.

Yeah, that’s a diff b/w some of us. Some say “ok, it makes u feel weird even though it’s not offensive, so it should be changed”

I say, “STFU, get bent ya weirdo. Go cry to your momma” to such things.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
TAMU

Check out the 90-33 thread. Pretty certain 4ever had post on there that got your attention.

Absolutely. And I would call out anyone else who said the same thing. 4ever can take my comment or leave it. Why is my offense so offensive?

I'll ask again. Do you think homo is a slur? If yes, should slurs be used on this board?
TAMU

feedback