[Today at 11:16:26 AM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Jones  (Read 8120 times)

drbob

• Scholarship Player
Jamil Jones
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
Does  anybody have the inside scoop as to why no consideration of any  playing time for Jones during the games seen lately.  He is the only one who doesn't take is warmup jacket off during games. I know he got some garbage time last night ,( he did look like he had trouble running  -  any injury??  )  but mostly he is the team's #1 cheerleader.   I hope he has not lost all confidence  and turns into another Eric Williams  situation.  I  have heard the lack of defense talk,  buy seriously Anderson's defense last night left alot to be desired also.   Hate the fact that we seem to be losing a kid that has alot of offensive talent.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jamil Jones
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
First of all, it's Jamail.

I have no inside information, but honestly I think the issue is that if he has "a lot of offensive talent," it certainly has yet to be displayed.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
I've had the exact same concern.  He at least had enough talent to be one of the more sought after recruits we have grabbed in recent years.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with playing behind Crowder and the emergence of Jamil Wilson, but I hope he stays the course and doesn't get discouraged by the lack of minutes.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
When Jamail has played, what has he done to warrant more playing time?

Actually, I thought Anderson played fine on defense last night. He made a very nice play coming over to reject Poland's dunk attempt at the end of the 1st half. It was his play that trigger the fast break which led to the huge dunk by J. Wilson.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
thanks for the spelling lesson sultan, but seriously, kind of hard to display talent riding the pine.  Even the time he did get in the past, no chance to establish a flow. Not saying the kid is great, just seems he has been discarded. Seemed to have a sweet jumper!!

Mobot

• Team Captain
Re: Jamail Jones
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
Jamail has plenty of talent but doesn't seem to be assertive enough on the court.  His nickname says it all.  He needs to find an edge.

His jump shot is inconsistent.  When he is off, he is way off.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
He has had plenty of time to display talent.  In practice.  At Pro-Ams.  In garbage pre-season games.  I mean, Mayo and Jamil Wilson have emerged this year.  They took advantage of their opportunities.  And he may have had a "sweet jumper" in high school, but I have seen no evidence of it so far.

Believe me, I don't want to rag on the guy and I want him to stay and succeed, but unless you feel that Buzz is being unfair to him, I don't see how you could assume that he could contribute based on what you have seen so far.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
I expect him to transfer after this year.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
He has had plenty of time to display talent.  In practice.  At Pro-Ams.  In garbage pre-season games.  I mean, Mayo and Jamil Wilson have emerged this year.  They took advantage of their opportunities.  And he may have had a "sweet jumper" in high school, but I have seen no evidence of it so far.

Believe me, I don't want to rag on the guy and I want him to stay and succeed, but unless you feel that Buzz is being unfair to him, I don't see how you could assume that he could contribute based on what you have seen so far.

+1000

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
He is not going to transfer, because next year he will be higher in the pecking order and may actually be able to get a pretty solid amount of minutes. He has fully bought into Buzz' system. Erik got his chance at the end of last year because he practiced hard. Buzz seriously does play the players who do the best in practice. I don't expect him to transfer, and I expect him to get a solid amount of minutes next year at the 3 and 4. I am not worried about it. He doesn't seem angry to not be playing. It is what it is, and he realizes that he has to play harder when we have such a good roster.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

+1. Jones has gotten time, especially during the non-conference portion of the schedule. Sometimes, a player has to make the coach play him, see Mayo.

I don't think going into the season Buzz would have predicted that Mayo would be playing as much as he has. However, early on in the season, Mayo provided contributions on both ends of the floor that made it difficult for Buzz not to play him. Things have progressed from there.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
For those saying he hasn't gotten enough playing time to show off his skill set, let's remember that Buzz and the coaching staff see him play in practice and individual workouts every single day. If he isn't getting playing time, it's because he isn't the best player Marquette can have on the court at any specific time.

One thing I would like to point out that may go unnoticed is that Jamial's attitude, from what I can tell, has been superb through it all. He is the most positive player on the bench in terms of cheering, congratulating players and always having his head in the game. I am NOT turning this into a "demeanor" discussion, but it's worth noting that he shows no signs of sulking due to his lack of playing time.

He seems OK not being in the rotation and I can assure you he is working his rear off to get better each and every day, just like everyone else on the team. His time will come, but for now he's doing everything right.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »
I think what hinders Jones, as well as Wilson's and Anderson's, playing time is Buzz's tendency to only rely on a 7 man rotation, with an occasional 8 man rotation. Especially in Big East play, Buzz shortens his bench and relies on 7, sometimes 8 guys, for the majority of playing time. If I remember correctly, this situation happened at New Orleans too, but I could be mistaken. I like Buzz and am happy he is at Marquette, but I think he is still getting comfortable and learning how to be a head coach (no coach ever quits learning) and I think one of his challenges is learning how to involve everybody as much as he can with a team that is very talented like this year's team (at least on paper and on high school reputations).

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Hopefully he is shooting better than 33% on fg and 17% on threes in practice.  He had a wide open three last night and missed.  Maybe he gets more garbage time at the end of a blowout for some sort of confidence.

But he has been in the system for almost two years now and has been bypassed by Anderson in any type of rotation.  It's not like he just arrived as Rivals #52 recruit in the country in his class. For a recruit known as an outside shooter, that has not been seen in the games he played and no one knows how he does in practice except the staff.

I am sure he is a great teamate and displays enthusiasm on the bench, but that is all we will probably see of him this year.   

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
He is not going to transfer, because next year he will be higher in the pecking order and may actually be able to get a pretty solid amount of minutes. He has fully bought into Buzz' system. Erik got his chance at the end of last year because he practiced hard. Buzz seriously does play the players who do the best in practice. I don't expect him to transfer, and I expect him to get a solid amount of minutes next year at the 3 and 4. I am not worried about it. He doesn't seem angry to not be playing. It is what it is, and he realizes that he has to play harder when we have such a good roster.

you think he is going to go from virtually zero minutes this season to solid minutes next year? Based on what? Face it, he just does not have the talent to play at this level. I don't care how high a recruit he was coming in, he has shown nothing in almost two years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »

To be honest with you, you are more positive about this than I am.  With Juan ahead in the rotation, and decent alternatives in the Taylors coming in next year, I just don't see how it happens.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
Agree.  He's a one dribble guard.  Jamail seems only comfortable shooting outside shots.  Can't see how he can help the team this year or next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »

I don't.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

To be honest with you, you are more positive about this than I am.  With Juan ahead in the rotation, and decent alternatives in the Taylors coming in next year, I just don't see how it happens.

+1000

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
you think he is going to go from virtually zero minutes this season to solid minutes next year? Based on what? Face it, he just does not have the talent to play at this level. I don't care how high a recruit he was coming in, he has shown nothing in almost two years.

Agree, it's pretty optimistic to expect minutes next year.  He had more recent game experience than Wilson and a year in the program on Mayo and Anderson.  They're all above him in the rotation now.  If he can use two years of seniority to his advantage and outperform TJ Taylor, Steve Taylor, and Jamal Ferguson next year he's bound to see some nice playing time.  If he can't outperform three more newcomers even with two years on them he's either got to love MU to the point that PT doesn't matter or he's going to regret staying.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

You are not a real Marquette fan!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
I expect Jamail to become a solid role player on this team in the next 2 seasons. He's not playing right now because DJO, Blue, Mayo, Crowder, Jamil and Juan are better than he is and are playing all the minutes at the 2-3-4 positions. With DJO and Crowder moving on after this season, that opens up 60+ minutes of PT. I fully expect Jamail to grab some of those minutes.

What player should we pick on next? Seriously, sometimes I feel like posters on this board think MU is 4-17, not 17-4.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
Yeah this.....You earn your time in practice. Buzz will play the guys he thinks gives him the best chance to win like every coach.

He isn't the first recruit who appears to be a "miss" and he won't be the last.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
No one is "picking on" Jamail.  Honestly, if we can't have fair and honest discussion about a player's role and what we might project going forward, what is the point of a message board?  No one is saying he "sucks," no one is saying that he should transfer, and I don't think there is a single person on this board that doesn't *want* him to succeed.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »
What player should we pick on next? Seriously, sometimes I feel like posters on this board think MU is 4-17, not 17-4.

This is a legitimate question/concern.  I see no problem in discussing it and have no idea how you could misconstrue this as "picking on" him.  I sometimes wonder what people think this board is for...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
This is a legitimate question/concern.  I see no problem in discussing it and have no idea how you could misconstrue this as "picking on" him.  I sometimes wonder what people think this board is for...

cheerleading, evidently...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »

Hi GOMU85, welcome to the land of ignore.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either.  The depth chart for the Top 10 is:

Cadougan, Wilson
Mayo, TJ Taylor
Blue, Anderson
Wilson, STaylor
Otule, Gardner

so as you can, Jamil, Ferguson, Durley and Thomas will be the final 4

Thomas will see time in certain games and be a big help against teams that zone!

Transfer is not out of the question, depends what Jamil wants, if he wants to play, he has to improve!  Simple as that!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either.  The depth chart for the Top 10 is:

Cadougan, Wilson
Mayo, TJ Taylor
Blue, Anderson
Wilson, STaylor
Otule, Gardner

so as you can, Jamil, Ferguson, Durley and Thomas will be the final 4

Thomas will see time in certain games and be a big help against teams that zone!

Transfer is not out of the question, depends what Jamil wants, if he wants to play, he has to improve!  Simple as that!

Do you mean "Jamail?"  Honestly, is it too much to ask that you spell the guy's name right?  Especially when we have a "Jamil" on the team???

Honestly, you spelled it wrong *3* times.

JD

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »

Lol, thanks for the water all over my keyboard!  

+10000000
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
I agree that 'Melo just does not appear to play with the same intensity and fire when he is on the court as the other guys. I also think, given Buzz's own intensity level, that Buzz tends to gravitate to the more intense players, leaving guys like 'Melo behind. Funny thing is, you don't have to look intense and fired up to be intense and fired up. But the "mellow" appearance I am sure tends to make people, including Buzz, wonder whether he is really giving it his all.

Maybe 'Melo should change his name to 'Spazo? That could be the first step to being the intense personality that Buzz might be looking for.

As a final note, I don't really know what I just wrote or what it means or what point I am trying to convey. Scotch.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »

Juan is getting minutes because he is filling a role for the team that he excels at.  That is rebounding and providing energy when the team needs to go deeper into the bench.  If we needed more 3 point shooting and didn't need a rebounder, the minutes could easily be reversed between Juan and Jamail.  Jamail just doesn't fill a role at this point in time.  That could change tomorrow, a month from now, next year or never. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
I have absolutely no doubts that Jamail has all the athletic tools necessary to succeed at Marquette. He has the size, he has the athleticism (I'm not sure there are more than 5 other players to ever who made Sportscenter's Top 10 twice in highschool), and his shooting mechanics are solid.

However, the beautiful thing about basketball is that so much of the game is mental. You see it with top high school players and superb athletes all the time. Some guys just don't ever learn how to play at the college level (or the NBA level for top draft picks that fail). You can tell Jamail doesn't feel comfortable on the floor, doesn't want to screw up, and therefore plays tentatively the entire time he is out there. Criticize Jae all you want for his shot selection at times, but the thing I love about him is that he simply asserts himself out on the floor. He may be undersized, he may not have the best handle, but he doesn't care and just goes out there and takes everything he wants. You still have to play within your known limitations, but you have to be confident enough to assert your strengths and make up for your weaknesses in other areas. Jamail could take a lesson.

Jamail's bench behavior is actually a concern for me, not a plus. He almost seems happy to be the good team player and cheerleader. Good players hate sitting on the bench. Every second you are on the bench should be frustrating. While it might be fun to go along for the ride, a good player knows its more fun to drive the show. I much prefer the attitude of guys like Todd Mayo; I'm going to support you when I'm on the bench and not bitch and moan, but be damned if I'm not going to do everything in my power to win playing time from you.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Juan is getting minutes because he is filling a role for the team that he excels at.  That is rebounding and providing energy when the team needs to go deeper into the bench.  If we needed more 3 point shooting and didn't need a rebounder, the minutes could easily be reversed between Juan and Jamail.  Jamail just doesn't fill a role at this point in time.  That could change tomorrow, a month from now, next year or never. 

I would be more willing to agree with this if he weren't shooting 16.7% from three.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
Hi GOMU85, welcome to the land of ignore.

You mad?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »

Do you mean "Jamail?"  Honestly, is it too much to ask that you spell the guy's name right?  Especially when we have a "Jamil" on the team???

Honestly, you spelled it wrong *3* times.

You are absolutely right, but the whole subject is jamil, so I just went with it, next time I will analyze the spelling. Really does anybody really care

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
You are absolutely right, but the whole subject is jamil, so I just went with it, next time I will analyze the spelling. Really does anybody really care

Yes, because when you said "Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either."  I actually thought you meant Jamil Wilson.  I had to read your post twice before I figured out you misspelled his name.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
I have absolutely no doubts that Jamail has all the athletic tools necessary to succeed at Marquette. He has the size, he has the athleticism (I'm not sure there are more than 5 other players to ever who made Sportscenter's Top 10 twice in highschool), and his shooting mechanics are solid.

However, the beautiful thing about basketball is that so much of the game is mental. You see it with top high school players and superb athletes all the time. Some guys just don't ever learn how to play at the college level (or the NBA level for top draft picks that fail). You can tell Jamail doesn't feel comfortable on the floor, doesn't want to screw up, and therefore plays tentatively the entire time he is out there. Criticize Jae all you want for his shot selection at times, but the thing I love about him is that he simply asserts himself out on the floor. He may be undersized, he may not have the best handle, but he doesn't care and just goes out there and takes everything he wants. You still have to play within your known limitations, but you have to be confident enough to assert your strengths and make up for your weaknesses in other areas. Jamail could take a lesson.

Jamail's bench behavior is actually a concern for me, not a plus. He almost seems happy to be the good team player and cheerleader. Good players hate sitting on the bench. Every second you are on the bench should be frustrating. While it might be fun to go along for the ride, a good player knows its more fun to drive the show. I much prefer the attitude of guys like Todd Mayo; I'm going to support you when I'm on the bench and not bitch and moan, but be damned if I'm not going to do everything in my power to win playing time from you.
I think Jamail is trying to be the "good soldier" on the bench because he probably thinks it is good for the team to be supportive of his teammates and he probably thinks it'll help him in the eyes of the coaches. I don't remember him being so gung-ho on the bench last year, but I could be wrong.

I think you are right to talk about the mental part of the game and confidence with regards to Jamail, as he seems to be lacking confidence right now. With such small amounts of playing time--and really, in BE play the kid has gotten on the court for 17 minutes in 8 games, with 4 DNPs, that's really, really low--he probably presses and is afraid to make a mistake and thus does not play aggressive. It's a lot easier to play aggressive when you are allowed to stay in the game and play through your turnovers, horrible shot selections, bad defense and missed free throws like the starters and Mayo and Wilson are. I like all of the starters and the guys who play - but they take crazy, rushed shots, miss a ton of bunnies, react too slow on defense a lot, miss crucial free throws, and all have bad turnovers. But they also have moments of brilliance and overall get the job done. The top 7 guys are afforded a ton of freedom and mistakes on the court that the bench guys are not. As I mentioned before, I hope in the coming years Buzz learns to play (or trust) more than 7 guys in most Big East and gives deeper bench guys more of an opportunity to grow their game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
I'm am quite sure that Buzz coaches guys to cheer for their teammates when they aren't playing. I think many coaches do this.
Part of being a member of a team.....you get support when you are playing and give it when you aren't.

Everybody contributes.....

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
I think what hinders Jones, as well as Wilson's and Anderson's, playing time is Buzz's tendency to only rely on a 7 man rotation, with an occasional 8 man rotation. Especially in Big East play, Buzz shortens his bench and relies on 7, sometimes 8 guys, for the majority of playing time. If I remember correctly, this situation happened at New Orleans too, but I could be mistaken. I like Buzz and am happy he is at Marquette, but I think he is still getting comfortable and learning how to be a head coach (no coach ever quits learning) and I think one of his challenges is learning how to involve everybody as much as he can with a team that is very talented like this year's team (at least on paper and on high school reputations).

Perhaps Buzz plays a 7-8 man rotation because the drop-off in talent is steep. The difference in talent from Jamil Wilson to Anderson/Jones is pretty huge right now. If the top guys aren't tired,  you play them......and I do not judge the talent of the players by HS reputation. Most of the guys I've seen MUCH more than some HS scout....and against relevant competition.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
I'm am quite sure that Buzz coaches guys to cheer for their teammates when they aren't playing. I think many coaches do this.
Part of being a member of a team.....you get support when you are playing and give it when you aren't.

Everybody contributes.....

I get it. If you are a coach, you want a type of camaraderie around your team. But in my mind there is a big difference between being supportive of the guys on the floor and the dancing around, hooping and hollering that we sometimes see on our bench. It looks dangerously close to me that Jamail has accepted his role as a bench guy, and is too content to try to make the frontpage of ESPN.com jumping around on the bench rather than by dunking on someone. Its s fine line. I want you to cheer for your teammates, but I also want that fire where I can see that it is killing you that it isn't you out there.  

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Yes, because when you said "Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either."  I actually thought you meant Jamil Wilson.  I had to read your post twice before I figured out you misspelled his name.

I will get this right now, and say this about Jamail Jones, Melo, or however you spell his name.  He is a one dimensional player that lost his confidence with his outside shot, without
that, he does not bring much to the dance.  If there is a transfer on this team, he is the likely player.  They are still recruiting Nolan, so who leaves?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
I get it. If you are a coach, you want a type of camaraderie around your team. But in my mind there is a big difference between being supportive of the guys on the floor and the dancing around, hooping and hollering that we sometimes see on our bench. It looks dangerously close to me that Jamail has accepted his role as a bench guy, and is too content to try to make the frontpage of ESPN.com jumping around on the bench rather than by dunking on someone. Its s fine line. I want you to cheer for your teammates, but I also want that fire where I can see that it is killing you that it isn't you out there.  

Only on the internet can somebody analyze cheering for a teammate and use that as evidence that player doesn't really want to play.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
Only on the internet can somebody analyze cheering for a teammate and use that as evidence that player doesn't really want to play.

All I'm saying is that there is a danger in getting to comfortable on the bench. Does it look like Jamail is ready to be on the floor when he's out there?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
As do I. Jones has been a bust.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
Does  anybody have the inside scoop as to why no consideration of any  playing time for Jones during the games seen lately.  He is the only one who doesn't take is warmup jacket off during games. I know he got some garbage time last night ,( he did look like he had trouble running  -  any injury??  )  but mostly he is the team's #1 cheerleader.   I hope he has not lost all confidence  and turns into another Eric Williams  situation.  I  have heard the lack of defense talk,  buy seriously Anderson's defense last night left alot to be desired also.   Hate the fact that we seem to be losing a kid that has alot of offensive talent.
I bolded this part, because I noticed the same thing.  When he left the court after warm-ups, he seemed to have a limp.  Both my son and I noticed it.  I don't know if he is injured, but I thought he was walking and jogging differently than in the past.  I also noticed it on the court in his extended 2 minutes of play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »

Ooh. That tickled my insides.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
Agree with Hoopster and Panther... Jamail is one dimensional, a one dribble shoot player and it's hard to see him contributing to the team this year or next.  He's a nice guy, but, it may be his time to move on.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »

I would be more willing to agree with this if he weren't shooting 16.7% from three.

Way to small a sample size.  Acker was once like 1-19 on 3s his junior year when his playing time was limited and his confidence was shot but was good when he had regular playing time. 

I am going by reputation from recruiting experts, Buzz and player comments on Jamail's abilities.     

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
I still see Jones as having value to this team moving forward as a zone-buster.

Many of you are saying his game is one-dimensional, in the form of a one dribble and shoot kind of guy.  He also has length and athleticism.  These are three key ingredients to being a good offensive player when attacking a zone.

Maybe he doesn't get many minutes in this capacity this year, or maybe Buzz is saving him as a secret weapon for later in the year. Who knows at this point, but with Jae leaving, I believe some of his inside-out responsibilities will have to be picked up by Jones/Anderson/S.Taylor, and the fact is, Juniors get PT for Buzz.

Back to the original point, though, I still see Jones as having significant (midrange shooting, outside shooting, rebounding) value against a team like Syracuse/ND/Louisville who will throw a lot of zone at you.

I think our best zone beating lineup would look like this (this squad can run too, but would have defensive issues potentially):

Wilson (high post distribution, baseline/elbow jumpers, rebounding)
Crowder (inside scoring/outside shooting, rebounding)
Jamail Jones (freethrow line shooting, high post distribution, rebounding)
DJO (outside spot up shooting)
Cadougan (penetration/distribution)

or next year...?

Otule
Wilson
Jamail
Mayo
Blue

...I would take Jones over Anderson, because I feel Anderson's shooting needs work, and also his creative passing may work against him with a zone getting passes deflected/stolen...
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »
"The 17% Long Range Secret Weapon"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10:31 PM »
"The 17% Long Range Secret Weapon"
Hard to get a rythym when you are in for one or two plays.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »

Anybody can be a one dribble and shoot kind of guy......it would be nice if he would turn into a one dribble, shoot, and score kind of guy.

"Many of you are saying his game is one-dimensional, in the form of a one dribble and shoot kind of guy."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
Way to small a sample size.  Acker was once like 1-19 on 3s his junior year when his playing time was limited and his confidence was shot but was good when he had regular playing time.  

I am going by reputation from recruiting experts, Buzz and player comments on Jamail's abilities.      

Believe me, I hope I am wrong.  

But your example of Acker, while not exact, is a good one to keep in mind.  I recall thinking "meh" when he returned, but we did need him.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

Believe me, I hope I am wrong.  

But your example of Acker, while not exact, is a good one to keep in mind.  I recall thinking "meh" when he returned, but we did need him.

Time to get Mellow some ganja...

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
Hard to get a rythym when you are in for one or two plays.

Isn't that the purpose of a zone buster?

but, he has been in for longer stretches to build that percentage.  When you give up points without generating offense, it is hard to see the floor for more than 2 minutes in conference.

I have not given up on him and I hope he has not as well.  He could be a valuable link.  Right now, though, he is not getting it done on either end. 

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
He needs to hit a few, get some confidence back and he will be fine. He was a lights out shooter in hs, just needs to get the mental game back.

feedback