Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Jones  (Read 8144 times)

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Re: Jamil Jones
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »
What player should we pick on next? Seriously, sometimes I feel like posters on this board think MU is 4-17, not 17-4.

This is a legitimate question/concern.  I see no problem in discussing it and have no idea how you could misconstrue this as "picking on" him.  I sometimes wonder what people think this board is for...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
This is a legitimate question/concern.  I see no problem in discussing it and have no idea how you could misconstrue this as "picking on" him.  I sometimes wonder what people think this board is for...

cheerleading, evidently...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »
I expect him to transfer after this year.

Hi GOMU85, welcome to the land of ignore.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either.  The depth chart for the Top 10 is:

Cadougan, Wilson
Mayo, TJ Taylor
Blue, Anderson
Wilson, STaylor
Otule, Gardner

so as you can, Jamil, Ferguson, Durley and Thomas will be the final 4

Thomas will see time in certain games and be a big help against teams that zone!

Transfer is not out of the question, depends what Jamil wants, if he wants to play, he has to improve!  Simple as that!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either.  The depth chart for the Top 10 is:

Cadougan, Wilson
Mayo, TJ Taylor
Blue, Anderson
Wilson, STaylor
Otule, Gardner

so as you can, Jamil, Ferguson, Durley and Thomas will be the final 4

Thomas will see time in certain games and be a big help against teams that zone!

Transfer is not out of the question, depends what Jamil wants, if he wants to play, he has to improve!  Simple as that!

Do you mean "Jamail?"  Honestly, is it too much to ask that you spell the guy's name right?  Especially when we have a "Jamil" on the team???

Honestly, you spelled it wrong *3* times.

JD

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
You are not a real Marquette fan!

Lol, thanks for the water all over my keyboard!  

+10000000
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
I agree that 'Melo just does not appear to play with the same intensity and fire when he is on the court as the other guys. I also think, given Buzz's own intensity level, that Buzz tends to gravitate to the more intense players, leaving guys like 'Melo behind. Funny thing is, you don't have to look intense and fired up to be intense and fired up. But the "mellow" appearance I am sure tends to make people, including Buzz, wonder whether he is really giving it his all.

Maybe 'Melo should change his name to 'Spazo? That could be the first step to being the intense personality that Buzz might be looking for.

As a final note, I don't really know what I just wrote or what it means or what point I am trying to convey. Scotch.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »

To be honest with you, you are more positive about this than I am.  With Juan ahead in the rotation, and decent alternatives in the Taylors coming in next year, I just don't see how it happens.
Juan is getting minutes because he is filling a role for the team that he excels at.  That is rebounding and providing energy when the team needs to go deeper into the bench.  If we needed more 3 point shooting and didn't need a rebounder, the minutes could easily be reversed between Juan and Jamail.  Jamail just doesn't fill a role at this point in time.  That could change tomorrow, a month from now, next year or never. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
I have absolutely no doubts that Jamail has all the athletic tools necessary to succeed at Marquette. He has the size, he has the athleticism (I'm not sure there are more than 5 other players to ever who made Sportscenter's Top 10 twice in highschool), and his shooting mechanics are solid.

However, the beautiful thing about basketball is that so much of the game is mental. You see it with top high school players and superb athletes all the time. Some guys just don't ever learn how to play at the college level (or the NBA level for top draft picks that fail). You can tell Jamail doesn't feel comfortable on the floor, doesn't want to screw up, and therefore plays tentatively the entire time he is out there. Criticize Jae all you want for his shot selection at times, but the thing I love about him is that he simply asserts himself out on the floor. He may be undersized, he may not have the best handle, but he doesn't care and just goes out there and takes everything he wants. You still have to play within your known limitations, but you have to be confident enough to assert your strengths and make up for your weaknesses in other areas. Jamail could take a lesson.

Jamail's bench behavior is actually a concern for me, not a plus. He almost seems happy to be the good team player and cheerleader. Good players hate sitting on the bench. Every second you are on the bench should be frustrating. While it might be fun to go along for the ride, a good player knows its more fun to drive the show. I much prefer the attitude of guys like Todd Mayo; I'm going to support you when I'm on the bench and not bitch and moan, but be damned if I'm not going to do everything in my power to win playing time from you.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Juan is getting minutes because he is filling a role for the team that he excels at.  That is rebounding and providing energy when the team needs to go deeper into the bench.  If we needed more 3 point shooting and didn't need a rebounder, the minutes could easily be reversed between Juan and Jamail.  Jamail just doesn't fill a role at this point in time.  That could change tomorrow, a month from now, next year or never. 

I would be more willing to agree with this if he weren't shooting 16.7% from three.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
Hi GOMU85, welcome to the land of ignore.

You mad?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »

Do you mean "Jamail?"  Honestly, is it too much to ask that you spell the guy's name right?  Especially when we have a "Jamil" on the team???

Honestly, you spelled it wrong *3* times.

You are absolutely right, but the whole subject is jamil, so I just went with it, next time I will analyze the spelling. Really does anybody really care

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
You are absolutely right, but the whole subject is jamil, so I just went with it, next time I will analyze the spelling. Really does anybody really care

Yes, because when you said "Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either."  I actually thought you meant Jamil Wilson.  I had to read your post twice before I figured out you misspelled his name.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
I have absolutely no doubts that Jamail has all the athletic tools necessary to succeed at Marquette. He has the size, he has the athleticism (I'm not sure there are more than 5 other players to ever who made Sportscenter's Top 10 twice in highschool), and his shooting mechanics are solid.

However, the beautiful thing about basketball is that so much of the game is mental. You see it with top high school players and superb athletes all the time. Some guys just don't ever learn how to play at the college level (or the NBA level for top draft picks that fail). You can tell Jamail doesn't feel comfortable on the floor, doesn't want to screw up, and therefore plays tentatively the entire time he is out there. Criticize Jae all you want for his shot selection at times, but the thing I love about him is that he simply asserts himself out on the floor. He may be undersized, he may not have the best handle, but he doesn't care and just goes out there and takes everything he wants. You still have to play within your known limitations, but you have to be confident enough to assert your strengths and make up for your weaknesses in other areas. Jamail could take a lesson.

Jamail's bench behavior is actually a concern for me, not a plus. He almost seems happy to be the good team player and cheerleader. Good players hate sitting on the bench. Every second you are on the bench should be frustrating. While it might be fun to go along for the ride, a good player knows its more fun to drive the show. I much prefer the attitude of guys like Todd Mayo; I'm going to support you when I'm on the bench and not bitch and moan, but be damned if I'm not going to do everything in my power to win playing time from you.
I think Jamail is trying to be the "good soldier" on the bench because he probably thinks it is good for the team to be supportive of his teammates and he probably thinks it'll help him in the eyes of the coaches. I don't remember him being so gung-ho on the bench last year, but I could be wrong.

I think you are right to talk about the mental part of the game and confidence with regards to Jamail, as he seems to be lacking confidence right now. With such small amounts of playing time--and really, in BE play the kid has gotten on the court for 17 minutes in 8 games, with 4 DNPs, that's really, really low--he probably presses and is afraid to make a mistake and thus does not play aggressive. It's a lot easier to play aggressive when you are allowed to stay in the game and play through your turnovers, horrible shot selections, bad defense and missed free throws like the starters and Mayo and Wilson are. I like all of the starters and the guys who play - but they take crazy, rushed shots, miss a ton of bunnies, react too slow on defense a lot, miss crucial free throws, and all have bad turnovers. But they also have moments of brilliance and overall get the job done. The top 7 guys are afforded a ton of freedom and mistakes on the court that the bench guys are not. As I mentioned before, I hope in the coming years Buzz learns to play (or trust) more than 7 guys in most Big East and gives deeper bench guys more of an opportunity to grow their game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
I'm am quite sure that Buzz coaches guys to cheer for their teammates when they aren't playing. I think many coaches do this.
Part of being a member of a team.....you get support when you are playing and give it when you aren't.

Everybody contributes.....

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
I think what hinders Jones, as well as Wilson's and Anderson's, playing time is Buzz's tendency to only rely on a 7 man rotation, with an occasional 8 man rotation. Especially in Big East play, Buzz shortens his bench and relies on 7, sometimes 8 guys, for the majority of playing time. If I remember correctly, this situation happened at New Orleans too, but I could be mistaken. I like Buzz and am happy he is at Marquette, but I think he is still getting comfortable and learning how to be a head coach (no coach ever quits learning) and I think one of his challenges is learning how to involve everybody as much as he can with a team that is very talented like this year's team (at least on paper and on high school reputations).

Perhaps Buzz plays a 7-8 man rotation because the drop-off in talent is steep. The difference in talent from Jamil Wilson to Anderson/Jones is pretty huge right now. If the top guys aren't tired,  you play them......and I do not judge the talent of the players by HS reputation. Most of the guys I've seen MUCH more than some HS scout....and against relevant competition.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
I'm am quite sure that Buzz coaches guys to cheer for their teammates when they aren't playing. I think many coaches do this.
Part of being a member of a team.....you get support when you are playing and give it when you aren't.

Everybody contributes.....

I get it. If you are a coach, you want a type of camaraderie around your team. But in my mind there is a big difference between being supportive of the guys on the floor and the dancing around, hooping and hollering that we sometimes see on our bench. It looks dangerously close to me that Jamail has accepted his role as a bench guy, and is too content to try to make the frontpage of ESPN.com jumping around on the bench rather than by dunking on someone. Its s fine line. I want you to cheer for your teammates, but I also want that fire where I can see that it is killing you that it isn't you out there.  

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Yes, because when you said "Jamil, will have to pick up his game, or he will not see time next year either."  I actually thought you meant Jamil Wilson.  I had to read your post twice before I figured out you misspelled his name.

I will get this right now, and say this about Jamail Jones, Melo, or however you spell his name.  He is a one dimensional player that lost his confidence with his outside shot, without
that, he does not bring much to the dance.  If there is a transfer on this team, he is the likely player.  They are still recruiting Nolan, so who leaves?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
I get it. If you are a coach, you want a type of camaraderie around your team. But in my mind there is a big difference between being supportive of the guys on the floor and the dancing around, hooping and hollering that we sometimes see on our bench. It looks dangerously close to me that Jamail has accepted his role as a bench guy, and is too content to try to make the frontpage of ESPN.com jumping around on the bench rather than by dunking on someone. Its s fine line. I want you to cheer for your teammates, but I also want that fire where I can see that it is killing you that it isn't you out there.  

Only on the internet can somebody analyze cheering for a teammate and use that as evidence that player doesn't really want to play.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
Only on the internet can somebody analyze cheering for a teammate and use that as evidence that player doesn't really want to play.

All I'm saying is that there is a danger in getting to comfortable on the bench. Does it look like Jamail is ready to be on the floor when he's out there?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
I expect him to transfer after this year.
As do I. Jones has been a bust.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
Does  anybody have the inside scoop as to why no consideration of any  playing time for Jones during the games seen lately.  He is the only one who doesn't take is warmup jacket off during games. I know he got some garbage time last night ,( he did look like he had trouble running  -  any injury??  )  but mostly he is the team's #1 cheerleader.   I hope he has not lost all confidence  and turns into another Eric Williams  situation.  I  have heard the lack of defense talk,  buy seriously Anderson's defense last night left alot to be desired also.   Hate the fact that we seem to be losing a kid that has alot of offensive talent.
I bolded this part, because I noticed the same thing.  When he left the court after warm-ups, he seemed to have a limp.  Both my son and I noticed it.  I don't know if he is injured, but I thought he was walking and jogging differently than in the past.  I also noticed it on the court in his extended 2 minutes of play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
You are not a real Marquette fan!

Ooh. That tickled my insides.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
Agree with Hoopster and Panther... Jamail is one dimensional, a one dribble shoot player and it's hard to see him contributing to the team this year or next.  He's a nice guy, but, it may be his time to move on.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »

I would be more willing to agree with this if he weren't shooting 16.7% from three.

Way to small a sample size.  Acker was once like 1-19 on 3s his junior year when his playing time was limited and his confidence was shot but was good when he had regular playing time. 

I am going by reputation from recruiting experts, Buzz and player comments on Jamail's abilities.