[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129314 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1650 on: March 18, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »

I get that.  But its not know by that anywhere else but the White House and his media lapdogs.  CDC, WHO and every other media organization is calling it something else.

WHO was calling it the Wuhan Virus or Wuhan Flu and people were spazzing about that too

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: March 18, 2020, 11:46:51 AM »
I have zero doubt that those labeling it the "China" flu or virus are doing so to cast blame and deflect criticism from the domestic response.
I also have zero doubt that this is just about the least important issue to fret over right now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1652 on: March 18, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »
I have zero doubt that those labeling it the "China" flu or virus are doing so to cast blame and deflect criticism from the domestic response.
I also have zero doubt that this is just about the least important issue to fret over right now.

You are correct on both counts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1653 on: March 18, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
You are correct on both counts.

Yup, was surprised that one got you on a tangent!  :)  Stay focused fluffy!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: March 18, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
At least he didn't call it the Kung Flu?

That only occurs off camera.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1655 on: March 18, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
Yup, was surprised that one got you on a tangent!  :)  Stay focused fluffy!

Literally 95% of my working day is spent dealing with this unnatural carnal knowledgeing virus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1656 on: March 18, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »
Edit: Trump talk in the link. If you don't want to read, don't click

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1240289577849573381?s=19
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:55:56 PM by jesmu84 »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1657 on: March 18, 2020, 12:51:54 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #1658 on: March 18, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »

When the virus was only in China I imagine all asians in America faced some racial profiling. If I was Chinese I would be afraid of being attacked if I went out today.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: March 18, 2020, 01:04:59 PM »
If I was Chinese I would be afraid of being attacked if I went out today.

Seriously? ::)  Come on man.

I have 3 Chinese coworkers, one even based in the Deep South, and the only thing they've gotten asked if if they had visited China recently and/or if their family there was ok.

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #1660 on: March 18, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

I have 3 Chinese coworkers, one even based in the Deep South, and the only thing they've gotten asked if if they had visited China recently and/or if their family there was ok.

I would be completely on edge if I was Chinese, or looked Chinese, just being honest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: March 18, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
When the virus was only in China I imagine all asians in America faced some racial profiling. If I was Chinese I would be afraid of being attacked if I went out today.

Funny you should say this because I have a couple friends from Ireland who are teaching in Vietnam right now and they're getting verbally abused. According to one of them the locals are blaming westerners for this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: March 18, 2020, 01:24:53 PM »

A few weeks people were not eating at Chinese restaurants and visits to various city Chinatowns were way down.
The Connecticut governor and Attorney General (who is Chinese-American, last name Tong) went out to dinner together at a Chinese restaurant as a show of support.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1663 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »
Interesting thread on increasing ventilator manufacturing:

https://twitter.com/CitizenCohn/status/1240262582780473347?s=20

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1664 on: March 18, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
A few weeks people were not eating at Chinese restaurants and visits to various city Chinatowns were way down.
The Connecticut governor and Attorney General (who is Chinese-American, last name Tong) went out to dinner together at a Chinese restaurant as a show of support.

There is a difference between some xenophobic avoidance of people who they think were home for Chinese New Year, were exposed, etc... and physically assaulting and attacking individuals of Chinese/Asian descent in the street.  The former is a tad ignorant, the latter is a stretch that borders on urban legend.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1665 on: March 18, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »
For the record - I understand.  I should choose my words more carefully.  But my point remains - why have only 27k been tested if 75k tests are available and lots more are coming online?  I think part of it is that that labs can't process them fast enough - but as Goooo points out, processing capability is increasing daily. 

At this point the fact that only those at high risk or in hospitals can get tested is a f*cking failure.

I agree. Hanlon's razor.  And that is as much of a "defense" of the President as I can muster on  this issue at this time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: March 18, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »
I saw these ideas stated by Elizabeth Warren on minimum conditions for any industry bailout.
(And for crying out loud, please don't go nuts because it's Elizabeth Warren stating them.)
Sounded like many of the statements mirrored earlier Scoop comments.

We’re not writing blank checks to giant corporations. Any taxpayer dollars that go to help big businesses during the coronavirus crisis should come with the following minimum requirements:
1. Companies must maintain their payrolls and use funds to keep people working or on payroll.
2. Companies must provide a $15 minimum wage within one year of the national emergency declaration ending.
3. Companies are permanently prohibited from engaging in share repurchases.
4. Companies are prohibited from paying out dividends or executive bonuses while they are receiving any relief and for three years thereafter.
5. Companies must set aside at least one seat – but potentially two or more, as the amount of relief increases – on the board of directors for representatives elected by workers.
6. Collective bargaining agreements should remain in place and should not be reopened or renegotiated pursuant to this relief program.
7. Corporations must obtain shareholder and board approval for all political expenditures.
8. CEOs must be required to personally certify a company is in compliance and face criminal penalties for false certifications.
Congress must set up an oversight body, modeled on the Congressional Oversight Panel and the SIGTARP program for the bank bailout, but with real funding & subpoena power. We need real accountability to make sure these conditions are met.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: March 18, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »
I saw these ideas stated by Elizabeth Warren on minimum conditions for any industry bailout.
(And for crying out loud, please don't go nuts because it's Elizabeth Warren stating them.)
Sounded like many of the statements mirrored earlier Scoop comments.

We’re not writing blank checks to giant corporations. Any taxpayer dollars that go to help big businesses during the coronavirus crisis should come with the following minimum requirements:
1. Companies must maintain their payrolls and use funds to keep people working or on payroll.
2. Companies must provide a $15 minimum wage within one year of the national emergency declaration ending.
3. Companies are permanently prohibited from engaging in share repurchases.
4. Companies are prohibited from paying out dividends or executive bonuses while they are receiving any relief and for three years thereafter.
5. Companies must set aside at least one seat – but potentially two or more, as the amount of relief increases – on the board of directors for representatives elected by workers.
6. Collective bargaining agreements should remain in place and should not be reopened or renegotiated pursuant to this relief program.
7. Corporations must obtain shareholder and board approval for all political expenditures.
8. CEOs must be required to personally certify a company is in compliance and face criminal penalties for false certifications.
Congress must set up an oversight body, modeled on the Congressional Oversight Panel and the SIGTARP program for the bank bailout, but with real funding & subpoena power. We need real accountability to make sure these conditions are met.

I don't disagree with many of these, but I don't see many people agreeing with it

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1668 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:28 PM »
Wuhan flu ain't nothin to f#ck with.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1669 on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:21 PM »

I have stopped visiting the Chinese restaurant I used to eat at once every week or two, but only because I went there for the buffet. But then again, I've also stopped visiting the salad bar that I visited 90% of the other days.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1670 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:21 PM »

Some people.  Broad aspersions one way are not offset with broad aspersions the other way.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1671 on: March 18, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Just finished doing a 45-minute presentation call regarding COVID-19 issues for employers. Sadly, if the last couple days is any indication, much of it is already outdated.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: March 18, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
Wuhan flu ain't nothin to f#ck with.

You sir. You.

Well done.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1673 on: March 18, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »
For the record - I understand.  I should choose my words more carefully.  But my point remains - why have only 27k been tested if 75k tests are available and lots more are coming online?  I think part of it is that that labs can't process them fast enough - but as Goooo points out, processing capability is increasing daily. 

At this point the fact that only those at high risk or in hospitals can get tested is a f*cking failure.

As I understand it from CNN, the tests that WHO put out are causing 47% false positives.  The CDC developed their own test which was much more accurate, but had a manufacturing defect.  Are you suggesting we should have pushed a test out that was wrong half the time?  Who would we blame then?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #1674 on: March 18, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »
There is a difference between some xenophobic avoidance of people who they think were home for Chinese New Year, were exposed, etc... and physically assaulting and attacking individuals of Chinese/Asian descent in the street.  The former is a tad ignorant, the latter is a stretch that borders on urban legend.

Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I’m white and don’t have any idea what a Chinese person feels like, but I can think about how I would feel if I were an Asian. I would feel like everyone thinks I have Covid-19, and I would be scared to be in public.

feedback