Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mack to Louisville?  (Read 58060 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Mack to Louisville?
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2018, 05:52:30 AM »
Please. It is real easy for someone who is not offered the money to say that they would not take it. Why is it greedy? He is taking what he is offered. It happens all the time. Capitalism.
I could make 25% more tomorrow...and in the process I would have to move my family, leave a workplace that I've been with since college graduation, and hope like hell the new place works out.  Mack just left a lot of good for only one good reason, IMHO, and that's an easier path to a championship. 25% extra means little to me and I make far less then him.  He just left his roots and a place he could have been a legend for life because he wants to win it all, and couldn't do so with what he probably felt was the best talent he could ever have at X.  If I were him I would take the chance for one championship at X over 5 at UL...but that's just me.  Hope it plays out as well for him as it did TC.  Nothing against the guy...but I would like to see it cost coaches who leave the BEAST.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2018, 06:33:56 AM »
I could make 25% more tomorrow...and in the process I would have to move my family, leave a workplace that I've been with since college graduation, and hope like hell the new place works out.  Mack just left a lot of good for only one good reason, IMHO, and that's an easier path to a championship. 25% extra means little to me and I make far less then him.  He just left his roots and a place he could have been a legend for life because he wants to win it all, and couldn't do so with what he probably felt was the best talent he could ever have at X.  If I were him I would take the chance for one championship at X over 5 at UL...but that's just me.  Hope it plays out as well for him as it did TC.  Nothing against the guy...but I would like to see it cost coaches who leave the BEAST.

If he thinks it’s impossible to win a title at Xavier after a season in which he won the conference championship outright of the conference that very well may include the soon to be national champion and had a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament he needs his head checked.

He did do it for one reason. Well 28 million actually. Oh and the 7 years part.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
That's fine. He has the right to be as greedy as he wants. Seriously.

I just get irritated at the ridiculous comments like "he did it for security" (when he had one of the most secure jobs in sports), or "we would all take that offer" (when some of us would not). That's all.
Really?   You wouldn't take a 135% raise and $4M/year?  Really?

It's not like he was already making $3.5M/year and this is an inconsequential bump.  His salary is more than doubling to move an hour-and-a-half away and take over a program that will give him any resource he wants.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
If he thinks it’s impossible to win a title at Xavier after a season in which he won the conference championship outright of the conference that very well may include the soon to be national champion and had a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament he needs his head checked.

He did do it for one reason. Well 28 million actually. Oh and the 7 years part.
agree on the first part...can't comprehend moving my family and losing relationships for a ~30% raise...and like i said, i'm not leaving $3 mil for $4.  if X wasn't willing to give him 7 years...that's on them.  in the end, i think it has a lot more to do with ego than $$$. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Can you face reality plz? can we all? The big east is NOT the best b ball conference and my god I cringe at every big east commercial where they say it’s the best one.

What BE commercial says that?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2018, 07:40:45 AM »

It's not like he was already making $3.5M/year and this is an inconsequential bump.  His salary is more than doubling to move an hour-and-a-half away and take over a program that will give him any resource he wants.
if rumors were true that he was offered $3M for the same length of contract....i would gladly turn that down if it meant i didn't have to move my family and leave a workplace that gave me a chance, a place i love, and a place i want to hang around the rest of my life.  i don't know...TC seems so much happier than mark few though...

my gut is it's all about ego.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:45:59 AM by avid1010 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
if rumors were true that he was offered $3M for the same length of contract....i would gladly turn that down if it meant i didn't have to move my family and leave a workplace that gave me a chance, a place i love, and a place i want to hang around the rest of my life.  i don't know...TC seems so much happier than mark few though...

You can't seriously think we can understand how these people feel or what makes them happy. 

Also, if I worked in a field where 2 bad recruiting classes get you fired, I would think about risk/reward differently.   

Just because we want to project that every coach should want to build a career at a non-blue blood doesn't make it true. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »
if rumors were true that he was offered $3M for the same length of contract....i would gladly turn that down if it meant i didn't have to move my family and leave a workplace that gave me a chance, a place i love, and a place i want to hang around the rest of my life.

Not to mention to go to an organization with a slimy reputation.

I knew it was time to leave one job when I was embarrassed to say where I worked. I would never intentionally accept a job at a place like that.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2018, 08:12:55 AM »
Please. It is real easy for someone who is not offered the money to say that they would not take it. Why is it greedy? He is taking what he is offered. It happens all the time. Capitalism.

Don’t assume I haven’t been there - I have. And I turned it down because my employer had always been good to me and I felt a sense of loyalty.

Like I said, it’s Mack’s right to choose...but let’s not make the mistake of assuming we would all make the same choice.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:45 AM »

Yep, really.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »
That's fine. He has the right to be as greedy as he wants. Seriously.

I just get irritated at the ridiculous comments like "he did it for security" (when he had one of the most secure jobs in sports), or "we would all take that offer" (when some of us would not). That's all.

Agreed. It's completely fine he took it, that's his prerogative. But "security" is a hysterical reason when it's a $4m per year offer vs. $3m per year offer, after making $1m+ per for several years, while millions of people in our country live in abject, crippling, generation-spanning poverty.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
Don’t assume I haven’t been there - I have. And I turned it down because my employer had always been good to me and I felt a sense of loyalty.

Like I said, it’s Mack’s right to choose...but let’s not make the mistake of assuming we would all make the same choice.

You are a wise man. Grass isn’t always greener. More money definitely doesn’t always equate to more happiness - assuming one has an existing comfortable standard of living.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
if rumors were true that he was offered $3M for the same length of contract....i would gladly turn that down if it meant i didn't have to move my family ...

Isn't his wife from Louisville, so maybe the moving his family part wasn't met with a lot of resistance.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2018, 08:38:27 AM »
I feel like there could be a hundred reasons that we don’t know about that made Mack want to move. I would say there’s more in the equation than money.

Maybe he started memorizing the presidents in order and decided now was the right time to move like Buzz did.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:08 AM »
I would argue that we're the best basketball only conference, but 2nd to 3rd best at basketball.

By pretty much any measure the Ohio State and Louisville jobs are better jobs than X or Butler. I would consider Ohio State a top 20 job and Louisville a top 10. It's not a problem to lose coaches to those jobs.

But how much better?

Chris Mack got a 1 seed out of Xavier.  Then X offers him 3 million and he decides to leave his Alma Mater for 4 million?

Tony Bennett wouldn't leave UVA for Wisconsin right now under those terms.  I hate this look.  I don't begrudge Mack for leaving.  He made a business decision.  I'm just disappointed that the business doesn't tip our way.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
Dana Altman has a S16, E8, & F4 at Oregon

He's a hall of fame caliber coach don't you know?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »
He's a hall of fame caliber coach don't you know?

#legend?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2018, 09:10:48 AM »
We go nuts all day on social media saying we’re the the best basketball conference in the nation.  We say it over and over. 

Jay Wright stands up and agrees and then walks the walk.

I’d we want this to be true, other schools need to live up.

Back to back summers where the Big Ten & ACC reminded us we’re stepping stones. 

We didn’t lose coaches to Kentucky or Duke but Ohio State & Louisville.   That’s an issue.  It’s saying that to win you need to be at a craptier school with football.  That EVERYTHING the Big East is against. 

To believe this best conference propaganda I need to either see 3 S16 teams or a coach stand up and say no thanks.   

Kentucky and Duke over Louisville and Ohio State?

So, you're going with past glory trumping current earnings, I guess.
For overall Athletic Department earnings, Ohio State is way up there.  At least for basketball, Louisville has to close to the top, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
I hope that X said "$4mil?!?...listen, Chris, we like you, but we're going no higher than $3M.  We can certainly afford $4M, but we don't believe that you're worth that much. "

I hope that was the scenario, and not "damn...$4M?  We can't possibly afford that."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
I find it amusing that not only is that your method of backtracking, but you’ve already committed a kid who is still playing as a transfer to MU.

Can’t wait for your take on Marvin Bagley to MU. He hasn’t declared for the draft yet!

I'm not often flabbergasted on Scoop, but wow, you're lack of understanding even remotely what you talking about is, well flabbergasting.

I was the one pointing out that Custer wasn't likely to come to MU.  Read the posts you're commenting on!  Please stay out of conversations you can't comprehend.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
Kentucky and Duke over Louisville and Ohio State?

So, you're going with past glory trumping current earnings, I guess.
For overall Athletic Department earnings, Ohio State is way up there.  At least for basketball, Louisville has to close to the top, as well.

Past glory? 

UK, 2012 NC
Duke, 2015 NC

Louisville, 1986 NC
Ohio State, 1960 NC
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »

What BE commercial says that?
As someone that watches everything on FS1, etc, I have not seen that commercial.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
Past glory? 

UK, 2012 NC
Duke, 2015 NC

Louisville, 1986 NC 2013 NC (allegedly)
Ohio State, 1960 NC

Fixed.  Strippers don't take away the Natty.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
Fixed.  Strippers don't take away the Natty.

Well officially they do.

But I think the greater point is that it's not just about championships.  It's also about what athletic departments have $$$ and are willing to invest in basketball. Louisville and Ohio State are near the top of that list.

This really doesn't reflect poorly on anyone involved. Mack and Holtmann left for objectively better jobs and more money. Most coaches would make that decision.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
Well officially they do.

But I think the greater point is that it's not just about championships. It's also about what athletic departments have $$$ and are willing to invest in basketball. Louisville and Ohio State are near the top of that list.

This really doesn't reflect poorly on anyone involved. Mack and Holtmann left for objectively better jobs and more money. Most coaches would make that decision.

I believe Duke & Kentucky were 1 and 2 this year in basketball expenses.  Calling them "past glory"?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:49:13 AM by The Lens »

feedback