Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you deem "acceptable" as a result for this team this season?

Finish above .500 (play NIT or CBI)
Finish as a solid bubble team but miss out on the big dance (play NIT)
Make big dance but lose in the first round
Make it to at least the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do, win the whole f'in thing(Final Four anyway)
Win one game in the NCAA tournament

Author Topic: Go on record before the drama starts  (Read 34195 times)

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
Re: Go on record before the drama starts
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »
I'll be very happy with a .500 record in conference play and a thorough drubbing of Wisconsin.

I'll co-sign. Frankly, assuming the remainder of the schedule goes as such:

Beat all non-Power 6 Opponents (Belmont, IUPUI, Jackson St., Grambling, Maine, SJ State, Chgo St, Presby, Stetson)
Go no worse than 1-2 against non-UW Power 6 (Iowa, LSU, NC St/AZ St)
One-and-Done in Big East Tournament

MU would be heading into Selection Sunday with a record of 20-12, with wins over Wisconsin, Iowa, and perhaps 1-2 of the Big East's elite. You might not make the tournament with that mark, but you'd definitely be in the conversation.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
I think Henry is going to be very good.      I just don't understand how anyone can predict that a team with.....

(A) 10 scholarship players.
(B) 3 of whom are taller than 6'6
(C) 5 of whom are freshmen
(D)  off of a 13-19 team that lost a lot of scoring and rebounding
(E) with two freshman point guards, one of whom was not a point guard in high school

....is a second weekend of the tournament team.   Pure homerism.   I would never predict those kind of things for a team that wasn't MU, unless it was another one of Kentucky's ridiculous freshman classes.    Too many things have to go right along with no injuries to Luke, Henry, Duane, or Traci for this team to sniff the big dance.    I hope this gets thrown in my face as the worst prediction ever in 4 months.   But for now, I am going not going to set the bar too high.

Out of curiosity, which team would you feel better about?  The team above or the team below.....

1) Lost their (honorable mention) All-American point guard - and the team's top scorer last year - to graduation,
2) Lost two other starters, and the team's top rebounders, who averaged >14 RPG between them last year,
3) Is returning only one starter who averaged double-digits scoring last year,
4) Aside from one other starter averaged 8.1 pts and 2.0 rebounds per game last year, is returning a bunch of "role players," led by an undersized sophomore power-forward who averaged 6 points & 4 rebounds in 15 minutes last year,
5) Is projecting to start three freshmen, whose consensus ratings are 36, 57 & 61, at PG/SG/SF, respectively,
6) Doesn't have a center on the roster who's good for more than a few minutes off the bench, and
7) Is coming off a disappointing 19-12 campaign last year (7-9 in conference) that was capped off by an early exit from the NIT.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
We're not them.  And the amigos turned out better than anyone anticipated and combined to make Novak a hero.   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:34:33 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
We're not them.

Duane, Luke, and Henry will all be better this year than any of the 3 Amigos were as freshmen.  If only we had Novak...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
We're not them.  And the amigos turned out better than anyone anticipated and combined to make Novak a hero.   

All I'm saying is that, 10 years ago today, if the lot of us were predicting that team to finish with a 4-seed in the BET and make the dance as a 7-seed, I'm sure you would've been calling us homers back then, too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »
Homers?   Maybe.   Overly optimistic?    To be sure.   IMO, the best coaching job Crean did.    May lightning strike twice.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
Homers?   Maybe.   Overly optimistic?    To be sure.   IMO, the best coaching job Crean did.    May lightning strike twice.

Well, I'm hoping for it to strike a few more times than twice (at least before my bottle breaks), but I'll concede starting with "twice" and seeing how things go from there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php?id=men_s_basketball:2005

Ten years, looking back at that roster..... other than the stars, I would take Fitz, Lott, or Chapman on this team.  Although Lott WAS a JUCO, as was Kinsella.   (gasp! 2 on one roster!)  Amo's one-hit wonder in the Great Alaskan Shootout.    Of course, Novak against UConn.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:56:50 PM by tower912 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php?id=men_s_basketball:2005

Ten years, looking back at that roster..... other than the stars, I would take Fitz, Lott, or Chapman on this team.  Although Lott WAS a JUCO, as was Kinsella.   (gasp! 2 on one roster!)  Amo's one-hit wonder in the Great Alaskan Shootout.    Of course, Novak against UConn.

I'd take any of those guys, too.  Hell, I'd take two since we've got a couple scholarships available.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
I think Henry is going to be very good.      I just don't understand how anyone can predict that a team with.....

(A) 10 scholarship players.
(B) 3 of whom are taller than 6'6
(C) 5 of whom are freshmen
(D)  off of a 13-19 team that lost a lot of scoring and rebounding
(E) with two freshman point guards, one of whom was not a point guard in high school

....is a second weekend of the tournament team.   Pure homerism.   I would never predict those kind of things for a team that wasn't MU, unless it was another one of Kentucky's ridiculous freshman classes.    Too many things have to go right along with no injuries to Luke, Henry, Duane, or Traci for this team to sniff the big dance.    I hope this gets thrown in my face as the worst prediction ever in 4 months.   But for now, I am going not going to set the bar too high.
My current outlook is 9-4 out of conference. 7-11 in conference (6-3 home 1-8 away) and 1 and 1 in BET overall record 17-16 and no tournament. That is providing no major injuries.

I like our team, but reality is the Big East is a tough conference  where every game will be a battle.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »
I think some people are 1) vastly under rating our talent and 2) vastly overrating our conference.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
I think some people are 1) vastly under rating our talent and 2) vastly overrating our conference.

1) Agree and 2) Agree

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »

Also think that fans will extrapolate a conclusion from the non-conference that will not reflect reality of the conference season.  The few tough games we have in non-con will likely be losses as this team figures out it's talent but by the time conference season rolls around they should be playing at their best and will have a strong BEast campaign.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
There is no such thing as addition by subtraction in basketball, unless you replace their scholarships with better players. Any player is better than an empty seat on the bench, which we have two of.

Anthony Mason, meet TAMU. TAMU, meet Anthony Mason.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »
Also think that fans will extrapolate a conclusion from the non-conference that will not reflect reality of the conference season.  The few tough games we have in non-con will likely be losses as this team figures out it's talent but by the time conference season rolls around they should be playing at their best and will have a strong BEast campaign.

Yup, agreed.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
There's a lot of agreeing going on in here lately.  Am I on the right board?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »

What the hell are you talking about?

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »

I disagree.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »

Apparently no one here played high school basketball
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
Revisiting this heading into the BE.  My expectations are still the same. 

Discuss...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
I said 11-2 non-con (check), 11-7 Big East (feels realistic), and 2-1 at MSG. Still feel that's pretty realistic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
Revisiting this heading into the BE.  My expectations are still the same. 

Discuss...

Agree, mine haven't changed a bit. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
To me the Seton Hall game will set the tone for the Big East season. I think Seton Hall right now is the favorite for the 5th bid, which might be the last Big East bid. I see it as a must win. We are in a world of hurt, if we cannot win this game. Lose this game and we are looking to at a 4-5 home record in conference. There is no reason to believe we can beat any at the top four teams at our place, if we cannot beat Seton Hall.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
Had us at 10-2 at this point of the season.  Think I had us for a big BE season.  I don't think we get as many BE wins as I originally predicted, as the BE is tougher than I thought it was going to be, but I still expect a top 4 BE finish and to be dancing, being a dangerous team come Tourney time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »
To me the Seton Hall game will set the tone for the Big East season. I think Seton Hall right now is the favorite for the 5th bid, which might be the last Big East bid. I see it as a must win. We are in a world of hurt, if we cannot win this game. Lose this game and we are looking to at a 4-5 home record in conference. There is no reason to believe we can beat any at the top four teams at our place, if we cannot beat Seton Hall.

We are going to lose a game we "shouldn't" somewhere along the way, and we are going to win a game we "shouldn't" somewhere along the way.  A loss at home to a team that you consider the 5th best team in the BE does not at all mean we can't beat 1 of the 4 teams above them in the pecking order at home.  Nor does a win on Wednesday mean we can't lose to a team like Creighton at home.

feedback