[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Report that Prince has died  (Read 18999 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Report that Prince has died
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
You cast shadow on how he lived and (presumably) died and you are wanting more of his gift than he gave (which is more than almost anyone - again including what's in his vault). 

Nothing in that position strikes you as being selfish?

You're focusing just on the music, I think he was able to touch many more lives by him living.  The vault stuff is great, nothing replaces the live performances.   How am I casting a shadow on how he lived when I'm just stating the truth?  The truth is now a shadow? 

End of the day, a young man at the age of 57 is gone....he didn't want to be gone...this wasn't a suicide.  It is sad to see a great artist or anyone die young.  Yet, we can still celebrate their lives....just as we would if a 10 year old died, because that's what we do.....but that doesn't mean we can't be sad for them and sad for the world, to see what else could come from them being alive. 

If that is selfish, to want people to live longer and not die at a young age, then so be it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2016, 09:30:41 AM »
You cast shadow on how he lived and (presumably) died and you are wanting more of his gift than he gave (which is more than almost anyone - again including what's in his vault). 

Nothing in that position strikes you as being selfish?

+100

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
+100

I'm curious, if Cold Play, or Bruno Mars, or Beyonce were killed in a plane crash today....would you be sad?  Would you celebrate their lives?  Can you do both?

If your favorite Hip Hop star was gunned down...same question?

If your favorite country western singer overdosed....same question?

The first thoughts I had when I heard about Prince and I suspect it was the first thoughts of at least 90% in this country.... "how sad"..."how tragic"..."Oh no"..."oh my God"...."so young"..."I can't believe it".    My first thoughts weren't "let's celebrate".

Again, to each their own, I don't find my thinking on this abnormal, in fact I suspect it is what most people do.  Sad for the outcome, sad for the years lost and the artistry stopping, but reminescent on the greatness....it's possible to celebrate and be sad for the same human being.

One final question, do you guys feel that when society does investigations, including toxicology reports, etc, that this is a bad thing?  They should just let it ride..."what difference does it make"...he's dead....don't bring up anything?  Or, do you think what authorities have done for ages is a good thing, brings closure, can be a learning experience for others, etc?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
This is hilarious.  What did Sid Vicious do that was even on the same planet as genius?  He didn't even play on any Sex Pistols records because he was such a horrible bass player.  Almost all of the Pistols' songs were written before he even joined the band.  Vicious was far, far, far away from a genius.

It is obvious you really don't know his story or even that of the London punk scene. Sid Vicious was a seminal influence in punk on both sides of the Atlantic.

You are correct in that he was a marginal instrumentalist but that is akin to saying Bob Dylan or Neil Young couldn't play or sing.

Without Sid Vicious there is no Clash, Patti Smith, Siouxie and the Banshees. Like him or not he was a powerful force behind the explosive arrival of punk and his DNA continues in music to this day.

By the way, the Sex Pistols did only one studio album and they cut it when he was laid up in the hospital.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2016, 11:48:37 AM »
I'm curious, if Cold Play, or Bruno Mars, or Beyonce were killed in a plane crash today....would you be sad?  Would you celebrate their lives?  Can you do both?

If your favorite Hip Hop star was gunned down...same question?

If your favorite country western singer overdosed....same question?

The first thoughts I had when I heard about Prince and I suspect it was the first thoughts of at least 90% in this country.... "how sad"..."how tragic"..."Oh no"..."oh my God"...."so young"..."I can't believe it".    My first thoughts weren't "let's celebrate".

Again, to each their own, I don't find my thinking on this abnormal, in fact I suspect it is what most people do.  Sad for the outcome, sad for the years lost and the artistry stopping, but reminescent on the greatness....it's possible to celebrate and be sad for the same human being.

Nobody here has said your thinking is "abnormal". Any time a death can be attributed to non natural causes some people will react with anger and regret over what might have been. You can choose that route, and many do. But it is selfish and as long as you're on that highway you'll never put the person lost in a good place. Why not instead choose gratitude? It's kinder to the one who's been lost and it's better for you. Take it from one who has tried both routes - the one you've chosen is a road to nowhere.

brandx

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »
It is obvious you really don't know his story or even that of the London punk scene. Sid Vicious was a seminal influence in punk on both sides of the Atlantic.

You are correct in that he was a marginal instrumentalist but that is akin to saying Bob Dylan or Neil Young couldn't play or sing.

Without Sid Vicious there is no Clash, Patti Smith, Siouxie and the Banshees. Like him or not he was a powerful force behind the explosive arrival of punk and his DNA continues in music to this day.

By the way, the Sex Pistols did only one studio album and they cut it when he was laid up in the hospital.

I have to disagree with this. Malcolm McLaren was the biggest influence in pushing both the Pistols and the punk scene.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »
I have to disagree with this. Malcolm McLaren was the biggest influence in pushing both the Pistols and the punk scene.

Well, I mean, you're both right.
I think it's way off to say that without Sid there's no Clash, Patti Smith, etc. Smith in particular was well established before the Pistols even came along, and the Clash were such a monumental talent that, if anything, they're great early work was unduly overshadowed by the Pistols.

That said, Sid's influence not on the music of the punk scene, but on the style/culture of the punk scene (for both good and bad) is undeniable.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
I think it's way off to say that without Sid there's no Clash, Patti Smith, etc. Smith in particular was well established before the Pistols even came along, and the Clash were such a monumental talent that, if anything, they're great early work was unduly overshadowed by the Pistols.

That said, Sid's influence not on the music of the punk scene, but on the style/culture of the punk scene (for both good and bad) is undeniable.

Said perfectly - and better than I articulated above.

The Clash and Patti Smith would have happened regardless - but the punk scene was shaped profoundly by Sid Vicious more than any one person. His DNA is still there today as it was in strains of 80s metal and 90s grunge. Cobain and Vedder both cite(d) Sid's influence as formative in their own paradigms.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2016, 02:08:19 PM »

Without Sid, Nancy Spungeon might still be alive.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »
Without Sid, Nancy Spungeon might still be alive.

I think that it more correct to say that without Nancy, Sid might be alive today...

Death on call

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
I think that it more correct to say that without Nancy, Sid might be alive today...
I'm going to vote "C - none of the above".  Those two weren't making it long regardless.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
I'm going to vote "C - none of the above".  Those two weren't making it long regardless.

Sad.   ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
Punk scene?  Read the 2nd most recent Rolling Stone.  There was a great cover story on The Ramones.  Intriguing stuff.  They advised The Clash.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
Sad.   ;)
HA!
There was a great cover story on The Ramones.  Intriguing stuff.  They advised The Clash.

Interesting, I'll have to read the issue.  I appreciate what the Ramones did (do?) to influence punk, and their sound was certainly punk, but I always thought their subject matter and approach (very structured down to their 'uniforms') wasn't punk compared to The Clash - not enough angst. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »
Iggy and the Stooges years before anyone yet mentioned.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »

I think I'm pretty well versed on the "punk scene".

The Clash had been together almost a year before Sid joined the Pistols.  They already existed without him.

Patti Smith's first single came out in 1974...she already existed long before Sid.

The Sex Pistols released their first three crucial singles before Sid was even in the band...they already existed without him.

And Sid did, in fact, try to play on Never Mind the Bollocks -

Pistols guitarist Steve Jones quoted in John Lydon's book "Rotten":

"Sid wanted to come down and play on the album, and we tried as hard as possible not to let him anywhere near the studio.  He actually came down a couple of times...he played this farty old bass part.  When he left I dubbed another part on, leaving Sid's down low.  I think it might be barely audible on the track."

John Lydon: "Sid was so bad in the studio...he could not hold a tune."

brandx

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
Iggy and the Stooges years before anyone yet mentioned.

Along with MC5

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
Along with MC5

Yes.  Ramones, Television, Richard Hell & Voidoids, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders & Heartbreakers.

All existed well before Sid Vicious came along.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
I think I'm pretty well versed on the "punk scene".

The Clash had been together almost a year before Sid joined the Pistols.  They already existed without him.

Patti Smith's first single came out in 1974...she already existed long before Sid.

The Sex Pistols released their first three crucial singles before Sid was even in the band...they already existed without him.

This is all true, but one still can't deny that the buzz/exposure created by the Pistols - with Sid and, to a somewhat less extent, Johnny as the poster boys for this newfangled punk thing - provided vast opportunities for many similar artists that very well may not have been there otherwise.
I mean, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden all existed well before their scene blew up thanks to Nevermind, but it's not beyond the pale to suggest they owe a great deal of their fame and success to Kurt Cobain.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »
This is all true, but one still can't deny that the buzz/exposure created by the Pistols - with Sid and, to a somewhat less extent, Johnny as the poster boys for this newfangled punk thing - provided vast opportunities for many similar artists that very well may not have been there otherwise.
I mean, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden all existed well before their scene blew up thanks to Nevermind, but it's not beyond the pale to suggest they owe a great deal of their fame and success to Kurt Cobain.

Not denying the influence of the Sex Pistols (I'm a huge fan), just the original statement that Sid Vicious was a "genius."  It is well documented that he could barely play, contributed little or nothing to the songwriting, and wasn't even in the band when most (all) of the classic songs were written.  His "fashion" simply echoed what Richard Hell, John Lydon, and Vivienne Westwood were already doing.  Genius can be defined as "a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative".  Not exactly sure how Sid qualifies.     
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:18:16 PM by ChuckyChip »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »
Not denying the influence of the Sex Pistols (I'm a huge fan), just the original statement that Sid Vicious was a "genius."  It is well documented that he could barely play, contributed little or nothing to the songwriting, and wasn't even in the band when most (all) of the classic songs were written.  His "fashion" simply echoed what Richard Hell, John Lydon, and Vivienne Westwood were already doing.  Genius can be defined as "a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative".  Not exactly sure how Sid qualifies.   

He illuminated the scene like no other. Like Dylan or Young he couldn't play a lick or hold a tune. But he was a driving force behind punk in ways that helped define the genre.

You can accept that or not. I will accept Vedder and Cobain's comments on the contribution of Sid Vicious to what was to become Grunge, fusing the thematics of alienation, disenfranchisement, apathy, and despair into what became the signature Seattle Sound which grew out of west coast punk in the 80s.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2016, 06:41:22 PM »

Agreed. That is why I mentioned McClaren. He was the puppetmaster for the Pistols. He recruited Rotten and set the tone and style for the band.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2016, 09:39:06 AM »
Variety magazine has a nice write-up on Prince if one is interested.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
He illuminated the scene like no other. Like Dylan or Young he couldn't play a lick or hold a tune. But he was a driving force behind punk in ways that helped define the genre.

You can accept that or not. I will accept Vedder and Cobain's comments on the contribution of Sid Vicious to what was to become Grunge, fusing the thematics of alienation, disenfranchisement, apathy, and despair into what became the signature Seattle Sound which grew out of west coast punk in the 80s.

I'm sorry but that's twice you mentioned Neil Young can't play a lick, which instrument that Young plays are you referring to? Piano, organ, guitar, harmonica?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:04:02 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2016, 10:20:09 AM »
Neil Young....LOL.    Not even in the conversation.

But if he died today, I'd feel less sad than Prince.  Young is 70, Prince was 57.  Sad either way, but levels of sadness quite different.