Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville  (Read 17763 times)

mu89

• Starter
Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »
ESPN insider says that Dieng is now down to us and the cardinals. This is getting interesting. What do you guys think?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:35 AM »
I think that Pitino will offer him free "table service" with Karen Cypher as his hostess and he will be attracted by that recruiting incentive to Louisville.
Now if he takes us, we know he is our type of student/athlete.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »
according to some on the louisville board.  He is a lock to go to Louisville.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
Were those comments before or after his visit this weekend?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
Some were mentioning that he recently visited MU and did not like it here.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:24:29 AM »

you would think that if he didn't like it here, he would have committed to louisville already. if he didn't like it here, it's weird to be in his final two.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
Solid logic.  I guess we will find out soon enough...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:38 AM »
Louisville has supposedly had the inside track since his visit there in February.  It makes you wonder why he came to MU at all unless his family and/or coaches wanted him to experience another place before making his choice.  My guess is that we are still a long-shot with this one.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »
Well, I know that people were saying that he wanted to follow Justin Coleman to Louisville, but some mentioned that Coleman wouldn't qualify. Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
He was supposedly a lock to go to Louisville a few weeks ago. Perhaps having his buddy Coleman not qualify made him want to check out other places just to make sure that Louisville really is the best place for him...hopefully he decides it isn't.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »
according to some on the louisville board.  He is a lock to go to Louisville.

According to some on the MU board, Ben Mills would walk into the Big East and immediately dominate. Take message board posts for what they're worth.  ;D

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »
talk about a program culture shock though.  when you line MU and 'ville up next to each other, it seems like you wouldn't be able to find two schools that are more different.  From coach, to campus atmosphere, to home arena - tough choice for him just because its almost an apples to oranges decision.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »
Could Dieng's decision be the reason Gardner is waiting to choose between us and USF?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »
you would think that if he didn't like it here, he would have committed to louisville already. if he didn't like it here, it's weird to be in his final two.

Negotiating a service-able upgrade from Karen Cypher?  ;D

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
talk about a program culture shock though.  when you line MU and 'ville up next to each other, it seems like you wouldn't be able to find two schools that are more different.  From coach, to campus atmosphere, to home arena - tough choice for him just because its almost an apples to oranges decision.
My neighbor's cousin's dog's groomer said it was because of our honorable mention in Playboy.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »
Could Dieng's decision be the reason Gardner is waiting to choose between us and USF?

My guess all along has been that Gardner would select MU if formally offered.  From all I've seen Gardner has a standing offer from USF - and there is no reason to think he wouldn't have signed with them already..if it weren't for him wanting to see if he had an option at MU.

On another note, I would think that Dieng would have had a good visit to MU..and enjoyed the major league atmosphere of Brewers/Cubs, and then the great atmosphere at the Bucks/Hawks game.  Take our facilities, education, support staff, Big East record..and then Buzz...I like Buzz's/MU's chances.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
Louisville has supposedly had the inside track since his visit there in February.  It makes you wonder why he came to MU at all unless his family and/or coaches wanted him to experience another place before making his choice.  My guess is that we are still a long-shot with this one.

+1

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
Could Samardo Samuels not yet having signed an agent also play a role? Samardo has been the starter there for quite a while, and last I heard has not yet signed an agent.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »

Yeah, must have been horrible considering he took in a cubs/brewers game, a playoff NBA game and scrimmage with current squad. He may commit to Louisville, but if he didn't like Milwaukee after a weekend like that then he has some issues.

MUBalla23

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
The weather was pretty crappy though

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »
I would take as many of these official visits as they would let me take if that is the type of stuff they do on the visit.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
I would take as many of these official visits as they would let me take if that is the type of stuff they do on the visit.

+100

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
I'm going to keep posting this until I get a good answer .....

Help me with something ... why do we think any of these guys (Deing, Cothron, Noreen, Gardner) is an upgrade over what we have?  Again, I'm assuming to sign one of them we have to ask someone to leave. If Buzz knows that someone is leaving of their free will and has an open spot, then I'm all for signing any of them.

So this is not just a signing but more like a trade.  So consider what you lose versus what you gain.

Last year Ewill was rated higher than Deing.  Mbao was rated higher than Gardner.  Noreen is only slightly higher rated tha Ewill.  The only guy that is clearly higher rated than Ewill or Mbao is Cothron.

Last year many posted that Ewill would play 20 minutes a game.  Some even wondered if he would leave early for the NBA.  No one thinks that Corthron, Gardner, Deing or Noreen are that good.

Deing in from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao is from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao was a professional 7' 2" center from Europe.  Did everyone forget how excited we were to sign him?  We compared him to Thabeet!!!  How do you know that Deing is that much better than Mbao?

I'm struggling to see what taking these guys and booting someone off the team is really an upgrade? Is it you have all written off Ewill and Mbao and the guy you don't know, or have never seen, seems like a major upgrade?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:43 AM »
In Buzz, you gotta trust. None of us have seen these cats play.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
We don't know, but I believe the general consensus is that Buzz wouldn't be recruiting any of them if there wasn't going to be a scholarship available. So the real question isn't whether we want these guys over what we have, but if someone we have is planning to leave, do we want to have another body to replace them?

I don't want to see Williams, Mbao, or any of our other players leave. I really like what we have and think that with another year of growth and the potential instant impact of Crowder, Jones, and Blue, we could be a surprise challenger for the top of the Big East yet again. But IF someone does leave, I'd rather have Dieng, Cothron, or Noreen coming in rather than having nobody to replace them. At least then we have a chance of another good player, rather than simply losing one with nobody to fill the void.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
Another, I don't think any of us really have good answers to your questions.  However, if Buzz is still recruiting players, he must obviously believe that they would be an upgrade OR someone is going to be leaving the program.  Given that, we should be happy to get the best recruit possible.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »

Help me with something ... why do we think any of these guys (Deing, Cothron, Noreen, Gardner) is an upgrade over what we have?  Again, I'm assuming to sign one of them we have to ask someone to leave. If Buzz knows that someone is leaving of their free will and has an open spot, then I'm all for signing any of them.

So this is not just a signing but more like a trade.  So consider what you lose versus what you gain.

Last year Ewill was rated higher than Deing.  Mbao was rated higher than Gardner.  Noreen is only slightly higher rated tha Ewill.  The only guy that is clearly higher rated than Ewill or Mbao is Cothron.

Last year many posted that Ewill would play 20 minutes a game.  Some even wondered if he would leave early for the NBA.  No one thinks that Corthron, Gardner, Deing or Noreen are that good.

Deing in from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao is from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao was a professional 7' 2" center from Europe.  Did everyone forget how excited we were to sign him?  We compared him to Thabeet!!!  How do you know that Deing is that much better than Mbao?

I'm struggling to see what taking these guys and booting someone off the team is really an upgrade? Is it you have all written off Ewill and Mbao and the guy you don't know, or have never seen, seems like a major upgrade?

I wrote on one of these boards a while back that there was a rumor in the Chicagoland area that Reggie Smith's grades were a concern...I'll say again that I have NO WAY of validating that information and speculation as to the academic standing of an incoming recruite is no different than speculation over who may leave by choice or get "run off"...but much like everyone else has said, IF Buzz is still actively recruiting, you'd have to think that he has some doubts over someone's situation (be it a current player or an incoming...)

I'll be honest though, I hope that Smith is okay academically because I think he could be a real asset to this team in the future...but the point is, we don't know what we don't know...so we'll all have to wait and see how this plays out

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:30 AM »
In Buzz, you gotta trust. None of us have seen these cats play.

I do trust Buzz.  My point is no one has made the case as to why these guys are better than what we have.  I went back and read the recruiting profiles of Ewill and Mbao versus Deing, Noreen and Gardener and I don't see much of a difference.  Cothron recruiting profile is much better than Ewill and/or Mbao.

Again if someone is leaving out of their own free will (that is not pushed out to make room for someone else), then it's a no brainier ... sign any of them.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »

I agree with this post 100%.  But stranger things have happened.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
I'm struggling to see what taking these guys and booting someone off the team is really an upgrade?
You're making a bunch of assumptions that lead you to believe this is a trade.
I just don't think that Buzz works like that.  Everything he has said and done indicates that he cares more about these kids as people than he does as players.  He has even talked about guys who left the team as still being his guys.  I really doubt he is force a kid off the team, knowing what that could do to the kid, because he thinks he can sign someone who might be a little better.
If it makes you feel better you should just assume that there is a scholarship open and whoever is leaving is doing so regardless of who we sign.  There, can you take down your post. ::)

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »
Is it possible Buzz knows someone who is leaving, and it won't be announced until after school's out due to transfer rules and finishing out the semester in standing from an academic standpoint?

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
Again if someone is leaving out of their own free will (that is not pushed out to make room for someone else), then it's a no brainier ... sign any of them.

I agree with this statement 100%...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
I do trust Buzz.  My point is no one has made the case as to why these guys are better than what we have.  I went back and read the recruiting profiles of Ewill and Mbao versus Deing, Noreen and Gardener and I don't see much of a difference.  Cothron recruiting profile is much better than Ewill and/or Mbao.

You don't see much of a difference?  EWill was a consensus Top 100 player, ranked #67 in the composite RSCI rankings.  Only Cothron fits that bill.  The others aren't consensus Top 100 players, or even marginal Top 100 players.  His evaluations are a heck of a lot closer to Cothron than they are to any of the other 4, and there are some who saw both that consider EWill to be a much better prospect.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »

I agree with posters who say that Buzz wouldn't be recruiting if he didn't think a spot was going to open up.

In response to Another's question...Sports fans love new, unproven players because they're the great unknown. Until they prove otherwise, fans can always claim that a back-up player (or in this case, a different recruit) is a better option and a budding superstar. If they see him play and he doesn't live up to expectations, they'll call for someone else who they've never seen before.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »

I can't justify it or anything, but it seems to work the same in the NFL with the draft.  Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and a 4th round pick - did the AZ Cardinals really think they were going to pick a guy with either of those picks that would be as good as Boldin?  The backup QB is always the most popular guy in a city with a losing team.  The potential of something new seems to outweigh a "known" quantity for most people.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
Dieng Verballed to UL according to Evan Daniels' twitter.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »

true. well, that's over.

http://twitter.com/evandanielscout

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »
You don't see much of a difference?  EWill was a consensus Top 100 player, ranked #67 in the composite RSCI rankings.  Only Cothron fits that bill.  The others aren't consensus Top 100 players, or even marginal Top 100 players.  His evaluations are a heck of a lot closer to Cothron than they are to any of the other 4, and there are some who saw both that consider EWill to be a much better prospect.

This was my point  ... I was not trying to put a find edge in it.  Deing going to 'ville (supposedly) they are getting a player that is not as highly rated as Ewill.  He will average 2 minutes a game for them (3 minutes/game if he came to MU).  I don't see him as that big a loss.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
You do realize that ratings are not always accurate right?

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
This was my point  ... I was not trying to put a find edge in it.  Deing going to 'ville (supposedly) they are getting a player that is not as highly rated as Ewill.  He will average 2 minutes a game for them (3 minutes/game if he came to MU).  I don't see him as that big a loss.

Completely different players in completely different situations.  If Samuels stays in the draft, that opens up a ton of PT at the 5 for L'ville.  E-Will was fighting for minutes last year with Lazar, Butler, and Fulce.  To use rankings and say that Williams was ranked higher and only played 2 min/game at MU last year which means that Dieng will play the same amount at L'ville next year is some deeply flawed logic.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:41 PM »

Dieng's only been in the US for about 6 months. People haven't watched him a ton but Daniels said he was for sure moving up. The Louisville board is calling him a solid 4 star. He will average more than 2 minutes at Louisville, especially if Samardo is gone, and I think he would have averaged well over 3 minutes here.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »

Devante Gardner - come on down...???  We'll see!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

Would you settle for being a ballboy during the scrimmage?  I'd hate to lose a valuable contributor like you to injury at this juncture. :D
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Fair point MU84. No way of knowing for sure which 7-foot project will be better. Or whether it's worth "trading" one guy for another.

I think people are excited because we know from experience:

1) Roster attrition is a reality and it's hurt us.
We've been undermanned every year (especially in the frontcourt). Both in terms of the actual number of bodies and it terms of the number of guys who could actually check into a game and help. Would anyone be surprised to hear that we've already got another injury to deal with?

2) Buzz has given us a lot of reason to trust him as a recruiter
Incoming reputation. Back-to-back top 20 classes. DJO out of nowhere. Vander from the headlines. Jae out of nowhere. Landing Jmay after we were nowhere (despite his departure).

3) Buzz has given us a lot of evidence that he's atypically direct with players
The whole "the man has no secrets" storyline seems genuine. We've got lots of evidence to believe that he's brutally and consistently honest with players. In other words, they're told every day just how close or far they are to being a real contributor:

Examples:
>> conversations about how his relationship with Cubie evolved;
>> the changes he brought about in DJames's game;
>> Mo Acker leaving, coming back, stepping into a huge role...

Some guys get better, some guys go. That's different than making a guy believe one day and kicking him aside the next.

4) Buzz either has the best PR machine ever or he's too good a guy to eff over a 19-year-old
He values assistants like no coach I've heard. He helps homeless guys, prays with cancer victims and focuses his community efforts on what seem like efforts with kids.

Guess it's all down to enjoying the possibility of "more" while waiting and trusting in BUZZZZ

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen more hype on this board for such a marginal player as I have with this guy.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »
Would you settle for being a ballboy during the scrimmage?  I'd hate to lose a valuable contributor like you to injury at this juncture. :D

If I could go to the NBA playoff game and the Brewers game and then not even have to break a sweat in a scrimmage, count me in.  If I was a 5-star with my mind made up, put me on the plane for some official visits to Arizona, Sothern Cal, and Florida in January too just for the fun of it. 

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
According to Yahoo news, Dieng just comitted to Louisville.  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100426/SPORTS11/4260354/1028/rss0702

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen more hype on this board for such a marginal player as I have with this guy.

Yes, but he's tall! That means he'd fit in perfectly with Marquette!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »

Deing in from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao is from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao was a professional 7' 2" center from Europe.  Did everyone forget how excited we were to sign him?  We compared him to Thabeet!!!  How do you know that Deing is that much better than Mbao?

Each year the Kentucky Derby holds a high school all-star game called the Derby Festival Classic.  This year's game included 12 players ranked in Scout's top 100.  The roster (with Scout's top 100 ranking following players who made it) was:
Black Team
Anthony Brown - Stanford - No. 41
Justin Coleman - Louisville - No. 25
Gorgui Dieng - Undecided
Ryan Harrow - N.C. State - No. 24
Tyler Lamb - UCLA - No. 60
Nate Lubick - Georgetown - No. 37
Russ Smith - Louisville
Trey Zeigler - Western (or Central) Michigan - No. 34
Elisha Justice - Kentucky's Mr. Basketball - Louisville (walk-on)

White Team
Moses Abraham - Georgetown
Trae Golden - Tennessee - No. 83
Josh Hairston - Duke - No. 42
Justin Martin - Xavier
Ray McCallum - Detroit - No. 23
Jordan McRae - Tennessee - No. 29
Victor Oladipo - Indiana
Stacey Poole Jr. - Kentucky - No. 58
Dwight Powell - Stanford - No. 45
Royce Woolridge - Kansas

At the conclusion of the game, Gorgui Sy Dieng, who was voted his team's Most Valuable Player, added 15 points, seven rebounds and eight blocks.

I think that we can put to bed the Gorgui Sy Dieng is a project talk!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:08:48 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
Each year the Kentucky Derby holds a high school all-star game called the Derby Festival Classic.  This year's game included 12 players ranked in Scout's top 100.  The roster (with Scout's top 100 ranking following players who made it) was:
Black Team
Anthony Brown - Stanford - No. 41
Justin Coleman - Louisville - No. 25
Gorgui Dieng - Undecided
Ryan Harrow - N.C. State - No. 24
Tyler Lamb - UCLA - No. 60
Nate Lubick - Georgetown - No. 37
Russ Smith - Louisville
Trey Zeigler - Western (or Central) Michigan - No. 34
Elisha Justice - Kentucky's Mr. Basketball - Louisville (walk-on)

White Team
Moses Abraham - Georgetown
Trae Golden - Tennessee - No. 83
Josh Hairston - Duke - No. 42
Justin Martin - Xavier
Ray McCallum - Detroit - No. 23
Jordan McRae - Tennessee - No. 29
Victor Oladipo - Indiana
Stacey Poole Jr. - Kentucky - No. 58
Dwight Powell - Stanford - No. 45
Royce Woolridge - Kansas

At the conclusion of the game, Gorgui Sy Dieng, who was voted his team's Most Valuable Player, added 15 points, seven rebounds and eight blocks.

I think that we can put to bed the Gorgui Sy Dieng is a project talk!!!!!

Agreed 100% - This kid would have been a MAJOR GET for MU.  It sucks we didn't land him, and that we keep being the runner up for some highly regarded bigs - T. Black and now Dieng.  I have all the confidence in Buzz that we will get a good one soon - 2011 class hopefully - but this one hurts losing him to Lville.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
One year ago .....

http://nathanblue.blogspot.com/2008/11/national-prep-showcase-day-three.html

Stoneridge's center Youssoupha Mbao has only been in the United States for around two months but numerous schools are beginning to actively recruit him. According to Coach Sy, Connecticut, Kentucky and USC is the short list, but the list will get longer before it gets shorter.

Plus this tidbit from July 2008.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2008/07/las-vegas-day-one.html

The French Hoops team is loaded with talent, most of the players coming from Africa. Youssoupha Mbao is a 7-foot-2 center who looked like the best of the bunch. He is ranked No. 10 among international players of his age by Draftexpress.com.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
Completely different players in completely different situations.  If Samuels stays in the draft, that opens up a ton of PT at the 5 for L'ville.  E-Will was fighting for minutes last year with Lazar, Butler, and Fulce.  To use rankings and say that Williams was ranked higher and only played 2 min/game at MU last year which means that Dieng will play the same amount at L'ville next year is some deeply flawed logic.

Nice rationalization about Ewill.  This is not what we were saying about Ewill a year ago ...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=4011.0

Bingo. He is a player, and has the right combination of size, skill, and athleticism for the NBA game.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=9564.0

STUD.   Best player we've had at MU in half a decade. 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15791.0

I expect Erik Williams to play a "Jimmy Butler-type" role this year. I think he will struggle early on, and eventually find his niche as a scrapper down low, getting rebounds and scoring on put backs.

I think his minutes will be very matchup-based.  He (and Fulce) could prove very valuable with their versatility--if EWill can play quick enough, he could give 2guards in the conference fits. 
EWill may not get big minutes this season, and he may only contribute Butler-type D and rebounds, but he's going to be a good player in a season or two. 

I think he has the best skills out of all the freshmen to take it to the next level, the NBA.  I also believe that the JC and DJO injuries have opened up playing time for Williams and if DJO is not healthy enough to play major minutes until the Big East conference slate, that could be enough time for Williams to carve out a niche and get consistent minutes the whole year.  Much like how injuries allowed Butler to grow as a player but with much greater upside as Williams has way more raw talent than Butler.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=14703.0

I see good things for him, and very athletic and talented in the video!

The thing I'm most excited about him is his wingspan. Those arms are ridiculous.

If he hits threes at a 35 - 40% clip he'll be unguardable.

I have a feeling that he will be the most productive out of him, maymon, and cadougan. Just seems that he works harder and has more talent based upon what I have heard.

I've been thinking the same thing as I've seen highlights from the incoming class.  He just seems like the most complete recruit coming in.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11738.0

I don't see how Williams doesn't get 20 minutes a game next year.  We will be young and green.  I think it will be fun watching the next generation thrown into the fire... EWill, Maymon, June... People keep saying Buycks is the real deal... hope so!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
Let me be clear in what I'm saying above.  With the exception of Cothron (and I'm still not sure about him) I do not see Deing, Noreen or Gardner as big additions to next year's team.  They are all marginal recruits that would see limited playing time.  Maybe in two or three years they could develop, but we could also recruit over them next year as well.

Deing is no loss, Louisville has their Mbao.  Let's see how they develop him for the 2013 season.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
Deing is no loss, Louisville has their Mbao.  Let's see how they develop him for the 2013 season.
I hope you're right but I envision another scenario where DJO or Buycks or (insert one of our guards here) takes the ball to the hoop only to have it rammed back down their throat by Mr. Dieng...just like any number of occasions over the last 4-5 years. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:35 PM »
Let me be clear in what I'm saying above.  With the exception of Cothron (and I'm still not sure about him) I do not see Deing, Noreen or Gardner as big additions to next year's team.  They are all marginal recruits that would see limited playing time.  Maybe in two or three years they could develop, but we could also recruit over them next year as well.

Deing is no loss.

We disagree on Dieng.  I don't see prognostications from Draftexpress and interest from solid programs, and a comment that he caused Fitzgerald (admittedly a 2009 top 100 type) some trouble scoring around the rim as being comparable to the game Dieng had against some of the best of 2010's recruits.  He'll be very good, very soon in my opinion.  In fact, I think he might be a good reason for Samuels to stay in the NBA draft.  Dieng isn't going to put Samuels on the bench, but I think that he might be getting more minutes per game than Samuels by the end of the season which would not help Samuels draft position next year.

I can see Noreen having a Novak type first year, not starting being more of a situational scorer off the bench.  He will be a different type of player than anyone currently on the team, and that would provide Buzz with the chance to provide a different look on occasion.

I see Gardner having a Mbao type year 1, making little contribution while he gets his body prepared for the rigors of the BE.  Down the road should he and Mbao both be here I can see them both contributing at the center position in different ways.  Mbao defending when you need a shot blocker, Gardner when you need that big body down low.  I don't foresee Mbao ever providing anything more than a very occasional junk basket and offensive rebounds on offense.  Gardner, however, seems to me to have some nifty footwork and the ability to score with all kinds of off balance shots near the basket.  I think he'll (eventually) be the type of player that causes teams to pack defenders down low.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:42:43 PM by LittleMurs »

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Perhaps he saw Otule in the scrimmage and decided his playing time would be limited here.  (just being optimistic)
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

TJ

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
He'll be very good, very soon in my opinion.  In fact, I think he might be a good reason for Samuels to stay in the NBA draft.  Dieng isn't going to put Samuels on the bench, but I think that he might be getting more minutes per game than Samuels by the end of the season which would not help Samuels draft position next year.
See 84 - the unknown is always better than a known quantity.  It seems Louisville's top rebounder and scorer isn't going to be able to beat out a freshman by mid-season, so the best place for him is obviously in the NBA.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
See 84 - the unknown is always better than a known quantity.  It seems Louisville's top rebounder and scorer isn't going to be able to beat out a freshman by mid-season, so the best place for him is obviously in the NBA.

Did I get carried away?  Probably, especially since Dieng and Samuels should be able to play together with Samuels (I'd think) moving over to the power forward position.  By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.  If he does, I probably won't hear a peep.

BTW, when I say "by February" I mean that starting in February he'll be getting his 20 minutes for the remainder of the season. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
Did I get carried away?  Probably, especially since Dieng and Samuels should be able to play together with Samuels (I'd think) moving over to the power forward position.  By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.  If he does, I probably won't hear a peep.

BTW, when I say "by February" I mean that starting in February he'll be getting his 20 minutes for the remainder of the season. 

I think you seriously overestimate the kid.  Could he be good?  Yes.  Did he have one great game which you are judging him on?  Yes.

I just don't see this as a big loss at all.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.

How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East?  Further, how many get more than 20+ minutes that are not McDonald's AA?  You have any idea how incredibly rare it is for an unknown foreign player to step in to a program like Louisville and get 20 minutes/game by February.  Other than Andrew Gaze 21 years ago for Seton Hall, tell me how many foreign big men were playing 20+ minutes a game by February of their freshmen year?  I don't believe Greg Monroe got 20 minutes/game last year (not foreign but a McDonald AA and arguably a top 5 recruit).  Thabeet certainly did not, Mutombo did not at G-town his freshmen year.  

Deing is not Patrick Ewing.  To suggest he can produce Ewing type numbers means you think he would have been the greatest recruit signed in MU history.  You think he has more upside than Lucas, Lee or Rivers.

3 minutes a game ... 5 when he stop embarrassing himself on the court.   He'll be a decent player his senior year.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:33:36 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East?  Further, how many get more than 20+ minutes that are not McDonald's AA?  You have any idea how incredibly rare it is for an unknown foreign player to step in to a program like Louisville and get 20 minutes/game by February.  Other than Andrew Gaze 21 years ago for Seton Hall, tell me how many foreign big men were playing 20+ minutes a game by February of their freshmen year?  I don't believe Greg Monroe got 20 minutes/game last year (not foreign but a McDonald AA and arguably a top 5 recruit).  Thabeet certainly did not, Mutombo did not at G-town his freshmen year.  

Deing is not Patrick Ewing.  To suggest he can produce Ewing type numbers means you think he would have been the greatest recruit signed in MU history.  You think he has more upside than Lucas, Lee or Rivers.

Who is Patrick Ewing?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
If Samuels stays in the draft, that opens up a ton of PT at the 5 for L'ville.  

I wonder if Deing is having buyers remorse.

Should I stay or should I go?
With so many early entries, the math just doesn't add up

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=5150960

Return to school

Samardo Samuels, So., Louisville: Samuels is a good scorer who does not pass and is undersized down low. His game is still coming around, and Pitino generally makes his posts better all-around players by the end of their careers. Stay at Louisville and get your "Yum" on.

---
If Samardo follows this advice, Deing better get use to sitting.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
"How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East? ...  Thabeet certainly did not"

Thabeet actually did get some meaningful PT as a freshman.  Although he was very raw his entire freshman season, and only averaged 6 points and 6 rebounds a game, he played over 24 minutes a game.

http://connecticut.rivals.com/bviewplayer.asp?Player=76556
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:56:23 AM by oldwarrior81 »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
Who is Patrick Ewing?

Was this meant to be teal?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »
Was this meant to be teal?

It was meant to be a smoke screen to allow me to flee from a discussion I had completely lost interest in.