Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Erik Williams  (Read 4908 times)

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
Erik Williams
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
I haven't heard much about him, what is the latest in his progression?

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Erik Williams
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:26:42 AM »
Was it Todd Rosiak that said "Flashes of Marcus Johnson"

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »
I expect Erik Williams to play a "Jimmy Butler-type" role this year. I think he will struggle early on, and eventually find his niche as a scrapper down low, getting rebounds and scoring on put backs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »
Honestly, I'd be surprised if he plays anywhere close to the minutes that Butler did last year.  My guess is that Hayward, Maymon, Butler and a healthy Fulce get the bulk of the minutes at forward. 

Two things could change that...Williams outperforms Maymon and/or the center position remains a problem with Otule and Yous.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »
Honestly, I'd be surprised if he plays anywhere close to the minutes that Butler did last year.  My guess is that Hayward, Maymon, Butler and a healthy Fulce get the bulk of the minutes at forward. 

Two things could change that...Williams outperforms Maymon and/or the center position remains a problem with Otule and Yous.
Yes, it would be hard for Erik to get the kind of minutes that Jimmy got down the strecth after DJ's injury.  His minutes were a product of a short bench and Burke's foul troubles.  Jimmy may not get those minutes either this year with the forweards on hand in Lazar, Jimmy, Jeronne, Joe and Erik.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
I thinks minutes can open up for Erik Williams if someone besides DJO and Buycks can play the 2 (Jimmy, Erik Williams, Maymon). 

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
I think his minutes will be very matchup-based.  He (and Fulce) could prove very valuable with their versatility--if EWill can play quick enough, he could give 2guards in the conference fits. 
EWill may not get big minutes this season, and he may only contribute Butler-type D and rebounds, but he's going to be a good player in a season or two. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
Maymon cannot play a guard position.  I don't know if Williams can.  Butler could on a limited basis.  But I am positive that Maymon cannot.

And lab_warrior, I agree.  My comments regarding Williams were only based on him being a freshman.  When Hayward is gone next year, and Butler the year after, my guess is that he will be playing an integral role on this team.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
I saw him play a number of times last year. Of course, he was coming off a season ending injury the prior year. Also, their team went from being a dominant team to him and 4 guys. At first he was very team oriented to the point of being overly so. Teh during the halftime of one game they were getting kicked, the coach went off at the break. He assumed the leadership role of the team as was his right and he scored something like 25 points the second half. The rest of the season he was a force offensively and defensively. He was doubled and triple teamed and he still dominated.

He has skills. To my mind, it's on him to decide how good he will be. He may well allow others to take control or he might decide he's going to make his mark early. If he's aggressive, he'll get his 15 minutes a game and produce. If he waits for his chance, he'll end up playing 6-8 per game. It's on him. But he does have major talent.
Players win awards but teams win championships

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:51:49 AM »
Two things:

Erik Williams plays soft----too soft to garner meaningful minutes this year.

The only way Maymon starts is if he lines up at #5 over Otule----or Lazar goes to #5 ----then Maymon starts at #4------but he won't beat out Lazar at #4 or Butler at #3.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:22:02 AM »
I expect a four forward linup at times.  Pretty much interchangeable parts.  Jimmy Butler, Maymon, Lazar, Fulce, Erik Williams. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:05 AM »
I expect a four forward linup at times.  Pretty much interchangeable parts.  Jimmy Butler, Maymon, Lazar, Fulce, Erik Williams. 

I too wouldn't be surprised to see a lineup such as Acker, Butler, Hayward, Maymon, and Otule on the floor at times.  Especially with the missed time I really think it's going to be awhile before DJO gets significant minutes, and I can see some frustration with Buycks being a turnover machine early on.  Considering how high Buzz is on Maymon he's going to get plenty of minutes and at least a few starts regardless of the lineup.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I think he has the best skills out of all the freshmen to take it to the next level, the NBA.  I also believe that the JC and DJO injuries have opened up playing time for Williams and if DJO is not healthy enough to play major minutes until the Big East conference slate, that could be enough time for Williams to carve out a niche and get consistent minutes the whole year.  Much like how injuries allowed Butler to grow as a player but with much greater upside as Williams has way more raw talent than Butler.

Personally, I would play the kid as much as possible as he is the one player who could grow the most and really take it to the next level that is needed to win in tough games in the BEast.