Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville  (Read 17799 times)

mu89

• Starter
Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »
ESPN insider says that Dieng is now down to us and the cardinals. This is getting interesting. What do you guys think?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:35 AM »
I think that Pitino will offer him free "table service" with Karen Cypher as his hostess and he will be attracted by that recruiting incentive to Louisville.
Now if he takes us, we know he is our type of student/athlete.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »
according to some on the louisville board.  He is a lock to go to Louisville.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
Were those comments before or after his visit this weekend?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
Some were mentioning that he recently visited MU and did not like it here.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:24:29 AM »

you would think that if he didn't like it here, he would have committed to louisville already. if he didn't like it here, it's weird to be in his final two.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
Solid logic.  I guess we will find out soon enough...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:38 AM »
Louisville has supposedly had the inside track since his visit there in February.  It makes you wonder why he came to MU at all unless his family and/or coaches wanted him to experience another place before making his choice.  My guess is that we are still a long-shot with this one.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »
Well, I know that people were saying that he wanted to follow Justin Coleman to Louisville, but some mentioned that Coleman wouldn't qualify. Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
He was supposedly a lock to go to Louisville a few weeks ago. Perhaps having his buddy Coleman not qualify made him want to check out other places just to make sure that Louisville really is the best place for him...hopefully he decides it isn't.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »
according to some on the louisville board.  He is a lock to go to Louisville.

According to some on the MU board, Ben Mills would walk into the Big East and immediately dominate. Take message board posts for what they're worth.  ;D

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »
talk about a program culture shock though.  when you line MU and 'ville up next to each other, it seems like you wouldn't be able to find two schools that are more different.  From coach, to campus atmosphere, to home arena - tough choice for him just because its almost an apples to oranges decision.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »
Could Dieng's decision be the reason Gardner is waiting to choose between us and USF?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »
you would think that if he didn't like it here, he would have committed to louisville already. if he didn't like it here, it's weird to be in his final two.

Negotiating a service-able upgrade from Karen Cypher?  ;D

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
talk about a program culture shock though.  when you line MU and 'ville up next to each other, it seems like you wouldn't be able to find two schools that are more different.  From coach, to campus atmosphere, to home arena - tough choice for him just because its almost an apples to oranges decision.
My neighbor's cousin's dog's groomer said it was because of our honorable mention in Playboy.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »
Could Dieng's decision be the reason Gardner is waiting to choose between us and USF?

My guess all along has been that Gardner would select MU if formally offered.  From all I've seen Gardner has a standing offer from USF - and there is no reason to think he wouldn't have signed with them already..if it weren't for him wanting to see if he had an option at MU.

On another note, I would think that Dieng would have had a good visit to MU..and enjoyed the major league atmosphere of Brewers/Cubs, and then the great atmosphere at the Bucks/Hawks game.  Take our facilities, education, support staff, Big East record..and then Buzz...I like Buzz's/MU's chances.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
Louisville has supposedly had the inside track since his visit there in February.  It makes you wonder why he came to MU at all unless his family and/or coaches wanted him to experience another place before making his choice.  My guess is that we are still a long-shot with this one.

+1

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
Could Samardo Samuels not yet having signed an agent also play a role? Samardo has been the starter there for quite a while, and last I heard has not yet signed an agent.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »

Yeah, must have been horrible considering he took in a cubs/brewers game, a playoff NBA game and scrimmage with current squad. He may commit to Louisville, but if he didn't like Milwaukee after a weekend like that then he has some issues.

MUBalla23

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
The weather was pretty crappy though

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »
I would take as many of these official visits as they would let me take if that is the type of stuff they do on the visit.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
I would take as many of these official visits as they would let me take if that is the type of stuff they do on the visit.

+100

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
I'm going to keep posting this until I get a good answer .....

Help me with something ... why do we think any of these guys (Deing, Cothron, Noreen, Gardner) is an upgrade over what we have?  Again, I'm assuming to sign one of them we have to ask someone to leave. If Buzz knows that someone is leaving of their free will and has an open spot, then I'm all for signing any of them.

So this is not just a signing but more like a trade.  So consider what you lose versus what you gain.

Last year Ewill was rated higher than Deing.  Mbao was rated higher than Gardner.  Noreen is only slightly higher rated tha Ewill.  The only guy that is clearly higher rated than Ewill or Mbao is Cothron.

Last year many posted that Ewill would play 20 minutes a game.  Some even wondered if he would leave early for the NBA.  No one thinks that Corthron, Gardner, Deing or Noreen are that good.

Deing in from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao is from Senegal and considered a project.  Mbao was a professional 7' 2" center from Europe.  Did everyone forget how excited we were to sign him?  We compared him to Thabeet!!!  How do you know that Deing is that much better than Mbao?

I'm struggling to see what taking these guys and booting someone off the team is really an upgrade? Is it you have all written off Ewill and Mbao and the guy you don't know, or have never seen, seems like a major upgrade?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:43 AM »
In Buzz, you gotta trust. None of us have seen these cats play.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
We don't know, but I believe the general consensus is that Buzz wouldn't be recruiting any of them if there wasn't going to be a scholarship available. So the real question isn't whether we want these guys over what we have, but if someone we have is planning to leave, do we want to have another body to replace them?

I don't want to see Williams, Mbao, or any of our other players leave. I really like what we have and think that with another year of growth and the potential instant impact of Crowder, Jones, and Blue, we could be a surprise challenger for the top of the Big East yet again. But IF someone does leave, I'd rather have Dieng, Cothron, or Noreen coming in rather than having nobody to replace them. At least then we have a chance of another good player, rather than simply losing one with nobody to fill the void.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback