[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95536 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #2700 on: February 04, 2024, 10:51:39 AM »
The fact Getsy got OC interviews with at least three teams and landed a job may indicate that the NFL  views the Bears' crappy passing game as more of a quarterback problem than a coaching problem.
Maybe Getsy is indeed terrible, but it's hard to implement an NFL-level passing scheme with a QB who can't read half the field or throw an intermediate route.

The history of the NFL never hiring people who failed elsewhere suggests this is accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2701 on: February 04, 2024, 10:56:12 AM »
What if the Raiders trade for Fields? That could be fun.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2702 on: February 04, 2024, 11:34:39 AM »

The history of the NFL never hiring people who failed elsewhere suggests this is accurate.

Yeah, that was totally my point.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2703 on: February 04, 2024, 11:46:25 AM »
Aaron Rodgers has made a lot of mediocre coaches a lot of money. The fact Hackett has a job still is 100% to keep Rodgers happy. Jets could save some money by just naming Rodgers OC.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2704 on: February 04, 2024, 11:49:13 AM »
Aaron Rodgers has made a lot of mediocre coaches a lot of money. The fact Hackett has a job still is 100% to keep Rodgers happy. Jets could save some money by just naming Rodgers OC.
McCarthy says hi and thank you. ;D

• All American
« Reply #2705 on: February 04, 2024, 11:50:24 AM »
McCarthy isn’t a bad coach. He just generally has a high floor without the high ceiling.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2706 on: February 04, 2024, 12:26:45 PM »
McCarthy isn’t a bad coach. He just generally has a high floor without the high ceiling.

I also think there was a time he was a pretty innovative offensive coach, but that time passed and he never really adjusted.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2707 on: February 04, 2024, 01:56:24 PM »
I also think there was a time he was a pretty innovative offensive coach, but that time passed and he never really adjusted.

He’s been better in Dallas than he was at the end of his time in Green Bay with regards to scheming things up. 

When it ended in GB, he couldn’t get mismatches or the WR schemed open.  TE usage has been better.  Just think Dallas is one of those organizations where things don’t completely turn until the structure upstairs changes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2708 on: February 04, 2024, 04:17:28 PM »
With the passage of time, I'm hoping we all learned the end of the McCarthy era in GB wasn't solely on Mike...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2709 on: February 04, 2024, 05:53:46 PM »
With the passage of time, I'm hoping we all learned the end of the McCarthy era in GB wasn't solely on Mike...

I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone with eyes that 12 tanked McCarthy's last season, as evidenced by his abrupt return to MVP form under LeFleur.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2710 on: February 04, 2024, 08:26:02 PM »
I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone with eyes that 12 tanked McCarthy's last season, as evidenced by his abrupt return to MVP form under LeFleur.

I think a new voice and them drafting his replacement had more to do with Rodgers' resurgence. Similar to Favre finding it again when McCarthy was hired.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2712 on: February 05, 2024, 08:19:00 AM »
Ejiro Evero officially staying with Panthers as DC.

Not a huge surprise, as he's under contract and the Panthers didn't give other teams permission to pursue him for a lateral move.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2713 on: February 05, 2024, 08:22:54 AM »
Ejiro Evero officially staying with Panthers as DC.

Not a huge surprise, as he's under contract and the Panthers didn't give other teams permission to pursue him for a lateral move.

That’s a good win for them. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2714 on: February 05, 2024, 11:29:01 AM »
The Athletic article on Ben Johnson turning down Washington is either very self aware of Johnson knowing he should never be a head coach or somewhat damning for his future prospects of getting a head coaching job.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2715 on: February 05, 2024, 12:13:16 PM »
Steve Belichick lands the U of Washington defensive coordinator job.

• All American
« Reply #2716 on: February 06, 2024, 07:53:56 AM »
The NFL is so strange sometimes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/06/mike-vrabel-physical-size-turned-teams-off-hiring-him-report\\

“I don’t think there was a fit for him. I don’t think he sat in front of any owner who thought that his style was going to work for what they were looking for,” said Russini.

“I had a GM at the Senior Bowl who mentioned to me Vrabel’s physical build, that he’s a very large human being and can be very intimidating to people in an organization that are going to be part of these decisions. And that is a factor.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2717 on: February 06, 2024, 09:22:47 AM »
The NFL is so strange sometimes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/06/mike-vrabel-physical-size-turned-teams-off-hiring-him-report\\

“I don’t think there was a fit for him. I don’t think he sat in front of any owner who thought that his style was going to work for what they were looking for,” said Russini.

“I had a GM at the Senior Bowl who mentioned to me Vrabel’s physical build, that he’s a very large human being and can be very intimidating to people in an organization that are going to be part of these decisions. And that is a factor.”

It's not like Dan Campbell, Jerod Mayo, DeMeco Ryans or even Antonio Pierce are midgets.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2718 on: February 06, 2024, 10:00:22 AM »
Dan Quinn and the Commanders adding Kingsbury as OC adds an interesting wrinkle to the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.  Could be a coincidence, but for a seemingly finicky QB prospect, his college OC going to his hometown team that happens to have a high draft pick, capital to further trade up, and very much needs a QB is intriguing...

Related, another offseason of people trumpeting slanted nonsense about Eric Bieniemy.  After a season in which his offense in Washington not only faltered, but was uninventive and stubborn, and which his players publicly complained about him early in the season...and which 3 African Americans (and a Latino) were hired as HCs along with half a dozen African Americans were hired as coordinators....people still claim he's being railroaded solely on the basis of race.

Nobody with a brain is claiming there aren't racial issues in the NFL and that the well meaning Rooney Rule is often cheaply circumvented, but maybe, just maybe, Bieniemy is no longer the best use case to champion.  The Commanders stunk and had limited weapons, but the offense literally regressed but yet now he should still get HC looks regardless  ::)

It's not like Dan Campbell, Jerod Mayo, DeMeco Ryans or even Antonio Pierce are midgets.

Exactly.  And Campbell is even bigger than Vrabel and even more big, over caffI have a toothacheted meathead forward stereotype.  Hey, at least it wasn't a terribly hidden dog whistle this time?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2719 on: February 06, 2024, 12:23:27 PM »
Dan Quinn and the Commanders adding Kingsbury as OC adds an interesting wrinkle to the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.  Could be a coincidence, but for a seemingly finicky QB prospect, his college OC going to his hometown team that happens to have a high draft pick, capital to further trade up, and very much needs a QB is intriguing...
It is very intriguing. I have my doubts that Washington will move the draft capital they just added to for a QB. Washington is one team that you could argue should be trading down for more picks.

If Williams is such a slam dunk pick that Washington will bet the farm on him, chance are the Bears will feel the same and keep the pick.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2720 on: February 06, 2024, 12:40:36 PM »

Related, another offseason of people trumpeting slanted nonsense about Eric Bieniemy.  After a season in which his offense in Washington not only faltered, but was uninventive and stubborn, and which his players publicly complained about him early in the season...and which 3 African Americans (and a Latino) were hired as HCs along with half a dozen African Americans were hired as coordinators....people still claim he's being railroaded solely on the basis of race.

Nobody with a brain is claiming there aren't racial issues in the NFL and that the well meaning Rooney Rule is often cheaply circumvented, but maybe, just maybe, Bieniemy is no longer the best use case to champion.  The Commanders stunk and had limited weapons, but the offense literally regressed but yet now he should still get HC looks regardless  ::)

Exactly.  And Campbell is even bigger than Vrabel and even more big, over caffI have a toothacheted meathead forward stereotype.  Hey, at least it wasn't a terribly hidden dog whistle this time?

If I'm the bears and I really like Williams, it's gonna take a Hershel walker/Ricky Williams type trade (multiple 1s and 2s) + a player like Payne to get me to move.

Tanking your franchise to move up 1 spot seems shortsighted.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2721 on: February 06, 2024, 08:20:37 PM »
It is very intriguing. I have my doubts that Washington will move the draft capital they just added to for a QB. Washington is one team that you could argue should be trading down for more picks.

If Williams is such a slam dunk pick that Washington will bet the farm on him, chance are the Bears will feel the same and keep the pick.

Williams doesn't have a lot of leverage, but he could be a real pain in the ass for the Bears if he chose to be

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2722 on: February 07, 2024, 08:28:32 AM »
Williams doesn't have a lot of leverage, but he could be a real pain in the ass for the Bears if he chose to be
You could argue about if he has any leverage, but it doesn't matter. He has said he would be happy to go to Chicago. He is looking for a big market team and Chicago is far from your typical #1 pick quality of team.

When Cowherd floated the idea that he didn't want Chicago, Caleb shot it down the very same day. Caleb doesn't want even the rumors of not wanting to Chicago out there. He completely de-leveraged any perceived leverage.

• All American
« Reply #2723 on: February 07, 2024, 08:32:31 AM »
You could argue about if he has any leverage, but it doesn't matter. He has said he would be happy to go to Chicago. He is looking for a big market team and Chicago is far from your typical #1 pick quality of team.

I have no idea what this even means.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2724 on: February 07, 2024, 08:36:53 AM »
I have no idea what this even means.
Most teams with the #1 pick are 1-3 win teams.

feedback